A Rescue

Based On A True Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi was lowkey mad that Eunha was accepting Eunwoo's invitations. She really thought the older felt the same way about her. 

She looks at the envelope in her hand again and taps it against her other palm. Stepping out, she catches a couple in the corner of her eye. Eunwoo and Eunha.

She raises an eyebrow when she sees them heading to the side of the building, which is mostly covered by the trees and vines. She looks around once, then paces towards their direction. The only times people go there are when some try to skip class, exchange gossip as if it was illegal, or to confess to someone. Confess.

That word made Eunbi cringe all over. Not just because she couldn't stand the thought of one confessing to Eunha, but also because she herself hasn't. 

Coming to the corner, she approaches carefully— listening and making sure her presence wasn't known. 

It wasn't until she heard a yelp when she decided to peek around.

Eunha was against the wall, with Eunwoo's fists grabbing at her collar. 

"What the hell?!" the younger heard Eunha shout. 

Without a second thought, Eunbi sprints and tackles the boy's torso. He tries to spring back, but loses his balance and falls on his back. Seeing the opportunity, Eunbi immediately puts her palm on his sternum, raises her other first, and swings down on his cheek. Hard.

But apparently not hard enough as Eunwoo swings back, socking her right in the nose. 

It didn't stop her though. A split second later, and she was further bruising his left cheek as she punches him continuously. Everything was just ringing in her ears. She was too furious to realize her own actions.

"—bi! Eunbi, stop! STOP!"

Her entire body is pulled back, but she couldn't take her eyes off of him. Another student comes in front of her, crouching down to help the one on the ground. 

As her breathing slowed down, she became conscious of the arms encircling her and the warmth with it.

"What happened here?!" 

Looking up, Eunbi sees her homeroom teacher accompanied by a handful of students: some having their phones out filming, and some just looking at the scene in curiosity.

Feeling the arms around her tighten, she exhales and finally brings her arms up to reciprocate.

-----

 

"It's most likely just bruised. However, if the pain doesn't subside in two days, it would be best to go to a doctor for an x-ray." 

"Thank you, ma'am," Eunha says to the school nurse.

Eunbi mumbles a nasally 'thank you' as her nostrils are still plugged with tissue from her nosebleed earlier.

As the nurse leaves them alone, the air between the two grows stuffy after several moments.

"You really did a number on him." Eunha's gaze on the younger is sharp, with her arms crossed across her chest, and being only two feet away. 

Avoiding her gaze by looking down at her lap, Eunbi feels go drier than it already is. 

Eunha sighs and brings her chair closer. The front of their knees were so close, you could feel the static between them.

Eunbi's breath hitches when the other gently tilts her head up by her chin and looks her in the eyes.

After a few seconds, the senior snickers and bursts into a bright smile.

"You look so silly," she says as she brings her fingers up to remove the plugs from the junior's nose and throws it in the bin.

Eunbi flushes out of embarrassment and goes to cover her face with her hand, but accidentally hits her own nose.

"Ow..." she groans out with discomfort all over her face.

Taking the forgotten ice pack on the side, Eunha places it atop her nose.

They are so close. Close enough to see the glint in each other's eyes.

"Hwang Eunbi."

"Hm?" she absent mindedly responds, too distracted by the closeness of the other. 

"Thank you."

Eunbi thinks she misheard her based on the blankness on Eunha's face. 

"I know we don't know how bad it could've gotten had you not been there, but you didn't have to hit him that many times. Hwang Eunbi, did you hear me?"

The younger gives a single nod.

"What even happened back there," Eunha sighs. "Why did you do it?" 

Eunbi her dry lips and contemplates. Maybe now is the moment she's been waiting for. Though she acknowledges it's not the best in context, but if not now, when?

 

"There was no way I was going to let you get hurt, unnie."

 

Disrupting their intense eye contact, the nurse returns.

"The principal has allowed you two to head home early for the day. Your parents have been contacted. Things shall be settled tomorrow in the morning. Don't get into any other trouble until then, okay?"

-----

 

It was a quiet walk from the classrooms to the school gate. The students had all gone back to classes as lunch period finished. 

They didn't exchange farewells. Eunha just waited at the bus stop, but then realized the younger wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter