30 | Vows & Promises

Bride of the Virtuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The world is full of broken things: broken hearts, broken promises, broken people."
— John Connolly  

 

Seo Ara set her tear-filled gaze on a lone white rose—the only item foreign to her at the moment—and blocked the image of the bride and groom at the altar from her sight.

 

It was hard enough to watch the man she loved make his way towards a future without her, but to watch him gaze longingly at his bride with the same gentle smile that used to be for her, to listen to him make the promises they once saved for one another…

 

Pain was an understatement.

 

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man and this woman…" the marriage officiant began, his voice echoing throughout the large hall, and drilling itself into Ara's ears.

 

Though she hoped to tune out what else was to come, the words that easily flowed in were as clear as any finely tuned instrument, and as sharp as newly whetted knives.

              

               "…Do you, Kim Junmyeon take this woman…"

 

The budding pain within her chest soon blossomed, its razor sharp petals carving their way deeper from all directions. One by one, piece by piece, the heart she carelessly sewed together fell apart, each tear at the seam accompanied by an unimaginable heartache she forced herself to conceal.

 

               "…for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health…"

 

Overflowing with anguish, Ara dug her nails into her forearm, letting the tough keratin burrow deep into her skin. She was hoping any form of physical pain would somehow override the emotional torment quickly brewing inside her—but regardless of how hard she clawed herself, the sensation was incomparable to the agony constricting her heart.

 

               "For as long as you both shall live?"

 

And with a silent breath, she closed her eyes, letting a single tear escape as her haven, her sanctuary, uttered his lasting vows.

              

               "I do."

 

|| …………… ||

 

Turning deaf to the cheers and applauses, Ara set her gaze on nothing. Her head was empty. Her chest, tight and pained. Her tears, restricted. Her entire being, drained.

 

She had a strong urge to drop everything, to simply walk out on her agreements, to forget her objectives, to disappear—

 

But before she could do so, the voice of reason in her head began to whisper. It called to her. Screamed at her. Demanded her to push past the heartache and realize her goals.

 

And so with a heavy breath, Ara brought the radio to her lips and barked an order just as she her heels to leave, "Stand by for the reception. Coordinator Lee, take the floor. I'm stepping out for a bit." 

 

|| …………… ||

 

Eyes frosted and wrathful, Ara headed down the hall, turned the corner, and walked into the empty office of the Sales Department. Everyone working the weekend had left when the clock struck 5 P.M., but she was positive one sick individual remained to watch things unfold with a martini in hand.

 

"Ara darling, welcome back! How's the wedding you're handling tonight?" the witch asked with the same telling grin as the despicable Director Nam. "Please do take good care of it," she added, widening her mocking smile, "I worked so so hard to make it happen."

 

Ara scoffed at her mother's admittance. The twisted woman was enjoying victory so much, she didn't even bother feigning innocence.

 

"What the were you thinking?" Ara spat out, her brows furrowed, face painted with anger.

 

Ignoring her irate expression, Da Ye release a disappointed sigh. "How many times do I have to tell you dear? Please watch your language. Profanities don't suit your pretty face," she commented lightly as she strolled over to her desk and leaned back against the dark wood, setting her eyes on her livid daughter.

 

"Let's skip the small talk and pointless lectures mother," Ara countered with a frigid tone. She was too physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted to participate in the vixen's games.

 

The witch smirked at her demand and nudged her head, "Fine, the floor is yours."

 

"I'm here for your end of the bargain," Ara began, hoping to finish their conversation as quickly as she could.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter