Chapter 12 (Final)

The Moon Looks Beautiful Tonight

YERI


 

The first time I met Wendy unnie was like… when I was around 4 or 5 years old. 

How I came to live in that shelter, you may ask?

Well…

 

My parents died from an accident which occured when I was very young. We were camping in a forest back then, happily joking around, grilling meat and stuff. The memory was a bit fuzzy, since I really don’t remember much due to shock (or maybe I desperately wanted to forget about it, I’m not sure either) but all I remember was a really big creature coming out from the trees. At first, it looks like a huge wild bear, but when I focus more, it looks more like what I later knew through Taeyeon eomma was a minotaur. A big creature with a body of a man and head of a bull. The image shifts, depending on how the fog surrounding him swirls. 

I don’t know how exactly my parents died, but I remember hiding behind my dad, then the next thing I knew, a splatter of blood stained my clothes, and I was covered in blood. 

My dad was lying lifeless in front of me. My mom was a few feet away, with blood all over her body, and was staring lifelessly at me. 

I wanted to run, call for help, but my body won’t obey what I want. 

Until suddenly, a silver arrow hit the monster right at the middle of it’s head. 

I looked around, hoping to see where the arrow came from, but found no one. When I looked back to where the monster was last standing, it was gone. 

All I saw was a pile of dust, and a single arrow on the ground.

 

After that, all I remember was a hazy image of a lady in silver camo pants, white shirt and combat boots, walking towards me, before I pass out.

 

When I woke up, I was already at the shelter, and another lady was looking at me, as if she was waiting for me to wake up. 

 

It was Wendy unnie. 

 

From that day on, I grew attached to her. Treated her as my real sister, always followed her whenever she was. 

She always sings me lullaby, every night before I sleep.

She hums a sweet tune when we’re doing house chores together. 

During our free time, she plays the guitar and sings whatever comes to mind. 

Sometimes, she plays with me, runs around, chasing me around the garden. 

She never gets mad. When I do something wrong, she talks to me and explains what I did wrong and why I should not do it again. It never stopped me from playing pranks on her tho.

 

Wendy unnie made me feel complete again. She helped me overcome my grief. 

 

Every night, before she puts me to bed, she lets me tag along with her and we would do nothing but lay on our backs on the grass outside, stargazing. We don’t talk, we just lie there and enjoy the view. 

 

Wendy  unnie loves the night sky very much. I don’t know why, I never asked. But everytime I watch her watching the sky, she looks like she’s at peace, her face reflecting the bright stars. She looks ethereal, under the moonlight. 

 

Since then, I have associated the night sky with her. 

The moment I joined the hunt, I knew I won’t be able to see her for a very long time. I have dedicated my life in serving Lady Artemis, be one with the huntresses who saved my life. 

So, every time I miss her I just stare up at the sky. To me, Wendy unnie is like the stars. I don’t always see her, but I know she’s always there. 

 

Therefore right now, at this very moment, here I am. Sitting up the highest tree I could find, gazing up at the stars. 





 

ARTEMIS


 

“Kim Yerim?”

 

A few seconds after I called out her name, she goes down the tree I was looking at, and lands gracefully beside me. 

 

Reminds me of the time her sister fell from an acacia tree…

 

“M’lady.”

 

“Care to have a walk with me?”

 

“Sure….”

 

We walked along the pathway in the forest, the moonlight serving as our guide. After a few minutes of walking in silence, I decided to finally start a conversation.
 

“You’ve been climbing up trees or anywhere high up, wherever we decide to camp and wait for daylight… You miss her, don’t you?”

 

“Very much…”

 

“How long has it been?”

 

“20 years… tomorrow would be her death anniversary.”

 

“Are you going to visit her grave tomorrow? It’s fine if you do, you know. As long as you return before the moon rises.”

 

“No, I won’t. I’m afraid I’ll lose track of time or maybe refuse to leave if I visit her grave…and it was beside Taeyeon eomma’s as well. Hits home.”

 

Hm. I understand… 

 

“Kim Yerim. I have something to tell you.”

 

“What is it my lady? Another monster got out of tartarus? Want me to find it?”

 

“No, no, not that. It’s about Wendy.”

 

Yeri stopped walking for a second, and looked at me, before continuing to walk again. An indication to go on.

 

“I was there. On her remaining hours. When she finally decided it was time for her to rest.”

 

You see, Wendy lived what you mortals can consider a long life. She lived up to 90 years old, and died due to natural causes. She lived without regrets. She served her remaining days tending to different creatures living at Camp Jupiter.

 

“You were the last being she saw before she closed her eyes? I guess that was the reason why the kids at camp said she was smiling when they found her. Thank you, my lady.”

 

“She didn’t see me, Yeri. I guess she just knew I was there?”

 

“Why did you come to visit her that day, if I may ask?”

 

Should I tell her I came because I knew she’s going to the afterlife that day? No, I didn’t ask my twin brother about it. I can just feel it. Like half of her was living in me. Like I was physically with her, and I feel what she feels. And that day, I knew. She’s going to rest. Eternally. 

 

“It’s complicated. I just want to show you something. Look up.”

 

Yeri was visibly confused, but she looked up anyway.

 

“See those four stars shining brighter than the rest?”

 

“Yes…?”

 

“That night she died, I took her soul…

 

...and made her to a constellation.”

 

Yeri looked up again, trying to see what image those four stars form.

 

“An arrow?”

 

“Yeah… an arrow.”

 

“I can’t believe you did it… Artemis. Thank you. Thank you very much.”

 

“Well, at least now you know that your sister is really up there, looking back at you, everytime you look up at her…”

 

“It’s almost time for dawn, you go and head back to the camp, get yourselves ready to leave. Follow your lieutenant, she knows where to go next.”

 

“Okay… well, see you when we see you, Lady Artemis.”

 

And with a smile and watery eyes, she left. Off to get back to her duties.



 

I did it in honor of your sister, Yeri. That way, I can make myself believe that she’ll always be there, right where she belongs. A constellation related to her ancestor. 

 

This way, looking up the night sky would remind me not only of the things I must protect, but her.  Wendy. The first and last mortal to make me feel this way. 

 

This way, I would never forget that at some point in this boring eternity, you became a part of me… You were a very special chapter in this never ending narrative of my life.

 

Thank you, Wendy. For reminding me what true love feels like. 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

a/n 

it's doone!!!! yup, that constellation at the header was Sagitta. hhehehhehe

thank you to you, if you're still reading this :D thank you for sharing a bit of your time with me, and i hope you did enjoy reading my very first fic!

also, some of you may be curious, but I did not include a specific character here to serve as Aphrodite. I really like the way Rick Riordan explained this, and I wanted to do it as well. Think of the prettiest person you know, or maybe your ideal type. think of what you believe is the prettiest features and then tada!! that's Aphrodite :D 

by the way, please don't get confused between the mention of two deaths of Orion in this whole fic. The first mention pertains to the time the giants rose, or more like escaped from Tartarus and planned to overthrow mt. Olympus. The latest one where Aphrodite was explaining her side, was the very first death of Orion, where she was killed by Artemis. hehe. 

 

Sooooooo that's it. Once again, thank you! and stay safee!

ps.

been re-reading the very first manga I read back in high school days, which was Detective Conan..... i'll be back with another plot. or more like when I have time. hehehehe

stay safe!!!!! stream Like Water!!!!!