Chapter 1

The Moon Looks Beautiful Tonight

ARTEMIS

 

All these years, I enjoyed my immortality. I did my duties with gusto. Hunting monsters, sending them back to Tartarus. Driving my silver chariot pulled by reindeers (no, none of them has a blue nose,  but I do call that one on the first row, left side as Rudolf. He likes it). I have lost count of how many times I have driven this chariot for you mortals to see the moon.  I have traveled everywhere, recruiting those who would want to join my hunt. 

 

Eons ago, I participated with the Titan war. A few years ago, I also participated in another war with the giants. Through all those battles, I have lost a lot of my Hunters, (about the same number of constellations or patterns you mortals come up). I turn them to stars - let them shine in the dark velvet sky. That way I just have to look up the stars whenever I remember all those adventures we had. That way, I no longer feel alone. Or sad. Whatever feeling you guys call it.

 

But most of all, I love just staring at the moon. Whatever phase it is, I find it absolutely beautiful. (No, I am not being biased here! I am not as vain as Apollo!) 

 

A lot of humans love to stargaze, or simply stare at a full moon. I remember the first time Apollo and I had fun and started the first Lunar eclipse! Oooohhh had so much fun from your kind’s reaction. Hahaha. 

 

But you know, after all these years, I have never thought of a human that can rival the beauty of the moon. (I’d be in trouble if Aphrodite finds out) 

 

Ironically, I think I would choose to stare at her more than I stare at my beloved moon; but her eyes…speaks a lot of emotions, and they are so bright it looks like it  reflects all the twinkling stars. And her smile…. Her smile is even brighter than sunshine on a warm sunny day. 

 

Every night for three years now, all I look forward to is to see her. Happily sitting on her mother’s grave. Using the moonlight to read that compilation of myths. 

 

I hope one day I’d be able to be the one to tell you those stories, Wendy. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

WENDY

 

Every night, I visit my mother’s grave, with my big and heavy as f*** compilation of Greek myths. I like all these stories! Stories so connected to reality I sometimes wish they were real. 

 

My sister, Yeri always asks me why I choose to go to the grave at sunset, with a big book. 

 

“Don’t you think it’s too dark to read? Geez, you’re going to damage your eyesight Wendy.”

 

She always asks me that question, but I never answered her. Well, I do have an answer why I prefer to go when it’s almost night time. I just don’t think she’ll believe me if I do. 

 

Well…for reasons I don’t want to delve in, I’m gonna tell you why. 

 

I was, as usual, sitting on my mother’s grave, reading this book she used to read when we were younger… before she died. But then, one tiny silver thing up the sky caught my attention, so I squinted my eyes to see better. 

 

It was a sleigh. I think… I think I saw Santa Claus………… WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE IT WAS NOT EVEN CHRISTMAS SEASON.

 

Well anyway, it came somewhere from the horizon and right after it disappeared from view, the moon shines a little brighter. The stars shine even brighter, and I don’t know if my mind is playing tricks with me, but I swear the constellations move. The moon provides enough light I could actually read. 

 

So tonight, here I am again. Waiting for that moment for the nth time, and to visit my mother’s grave. Again. 

 

“It’s been three years and I still miss you, Taengoo-eomma.”

 

I looked up at the sky. Anytime now. 

 

“Remember when you told me the stars are all so beautiful you want to be a star in another life? I thought you mean stars like those-who-appear-on-TV stars.” I smiled to myself, remembering the conversation. 

 

“I think you did not become a star, eomma. Every time I see the moon, it feels like I’m not here alone. Like you are here. With me.” 

 

And at that moment, I saw the moon shine a little brighter for a few seconds. Maybe I was right. She’s always watching over us. 

“The moon looks beautiful tonight.”