Chapter 4

The Moon Looks Beautiful Tonight

WENDY

 

(continuation of Wendy’s flashback)


 

This lady… I have a feeling I know her…

That ornament on her head... It has a crescent moon with an arrow.. (well you know, like the crescent moon acting like a bow, something like that)

How could I have not noticed? I don’t think any human can look this gorgeous even if she’s just wearing a plain white shirt topped with a gray camouflage jacket, black jeans, hiking boots.

“You...you’re-”

“Lady Diana, what brings you here tonight?” Oh thank you Kang Seulgi, you saved me from a major embarrassment.

Well, it was Seulgi who asked her a question, why is she staring at me? I feel like she’s reading my thoughts…

What the-now she’s smiling at me. Why is she smiling? 

“Indeed, Wendy. I am Artemis. I hope I have not offended the Romans by coming here in my greek form?” 

How and why on earth is she having a conversation with Seulgi while staring at me? 

“Not at all. No offense meant, but you actually look the same in either form… so…”

And that’s when she finally directs her attention to Seulgi. 

“The rest of you may go back to your chores. Praetor, I have to talk to you. And you.”

“Who? Me? Why?” Why do I feel like I did something wrong? 

Seulgi looked around. It must be very late at night, since all the kids around are all the kids on patrol duty. Seulgi asked them all to go back to their posts, and then… well it was just the three of us. I wish Fany-shi hadn’t gone with the border patrol right away… 

“Daughter of Bellona, follow me. You too, Wendy.”

Wait daughter of Bellona? 

I must have been showing a very puzzled face as Seulgi looks like she’s trying hard not to crack a smile. 

We were walking along the path leading to the forest, outside camp. Suddenly, Artemis decided to start a conversation. 

“You look like you have a lot of questions, Wendy. You may ask me, I’ll answer as honestly as I can.”

Well, I do have a lot I don’t even know what to ask you first. Well, since I’m nervous, I just asked the first thing that came to mind.

“Uhh… uhm…. If Seulgi is a daughter of Bellona, does it mean that-” I asked, not looking at her (because I am trying not to stutter a lot), staring at the ground while walking. She is in front of us, and Seulgi is walking beside me.

“Yes, Taeyeon and Seulgi are both daughters of Bellona, the Roman goddess of war.”

I was so confused, why does my mom tell us stories of greek gods and goddesses if she was a Roman demigod? And why did she never say anything to me about all these? I never even knew she was a demigod. All I knew was that she used to move places everywhere, mostly wildlife. That she did mention having a younger sister, about my age. That she decided to leave her sister somewhere safe. Where an old friend (that’s what she said) now resides. 

My mind was walking down memory lane while my physical body was literally walking farther and farther away from camp. I was about to look up and just ask where we were supposed to go (because I am literally exhausted, I want to sleep) when I suddenly bumped on someone’s back.

Being a well-mannered girl I am, I was about to apologize, but the words died out of my mouth the moment I looked up from the ground. The goddess has already turned to face me and fudge! Immortals really don't have a concept of personal space. 

Well, normally, one would just step back a few steps (and oh my gosh, is it possible that her eyes have the same power of gravity? Because I am totally attracted). If I knew better, I would probably think this girl is Aphrodite. Or Venus. 

Okay, I don’t know how long I was staring, but I finally snapped out of it when Seulgi cleared .

The goddess just smiled at me and said, “Be careful of what you think, dear. Aphrodite gets very mad when she hears of a mortal who thinks someone or anyone can be prettier than her.”

Oh great, I can feel my face heating up...this is so embarrassing.

“My lady, where are we?” asked Seulgi.

Her smile instantly vanished, her eyes changed color-- from chocolate brown to a dull  gray. Void of all emotion. 

 “The graveyard”.

And from that answer, we both knew why. 

I scanned our surroundings, and noticed a freshly dug grave, with a huge flat rock placed at the header, serving as a tombstone. Taengoo-eomma… 

Artemis told us how she died. 

Seulgi knelt beside her sister's grave, silently crying. 

Me? I braced myself for this. I expected the worst. I already cried on my way to camp, I thought I’d be fine when I finally have to accept that she’s dead.

But at that moment, what I felt was...anger. I was mad at everything. Taeyeon, for making me leave her, leaving me and Yeri. Mad at myself for leaving her behind. I should not have followed her orders. She taught me well, I learned all those self defense from her. Maybe if I stayed, she wouldn’t have died… Right? 

I was even mad at Artemis.

“You were there! You saw it all! You’re a goddess, for ’s sake! And what did you do to help my mother? Nothing?!” 

Heck, I don’t even care if I was shouting at a goddess, curse me if she will! I don’t care. I don’t care…

Taeyeon…

The only one who rescued us from that sick orphanage. Who legally adopted us as her children. Who I consider as my big sister. My best friend. My pillar. And now… now she’s gone.

I can feel my tears falling down to my cheeks. All I see is a blur. But I know, Artemis is looking anywhere but me. Seulgi is still kneeling beside the grave, sobbing. Not a single word. I wiped my tears, and looked at the goddess. I stepped a little closer to her, I’m so blinded by my grief that I blame her for Taeyeon’s death. I almost shouted at her face, but then I saw her eyes. Her eyes are slightly glowing a silver light, and her facial expression gives away her emotions. Maybe...maybe deep inside, immortals have feelings and emotions too? Instantly, I felt guilty. I know I shouldn’t blame her. (Well, if she’s real, then all those myths Tae told us are real, therefore it probably is Taeyeon’s fate to die tonight) and I believe no one, should even try to challenge the Three Fates. 

I always thought the world would be a beautiful place if all those stories I read were to become reality. 

I guess not… 

And well, since this is now my reality… guess I’ll just have to deal with it.  But how?

Revenge. Vengeance. That’s what I need… I would find that Siwon and his men. I-

“He’s gone, Wendy. Siwon, and all those men.”

“What do you mean?” 

“They came across the Myrmekes’ nest, I believe they’re not going to survive.”

“Myrme-what?”

Kang Seulgi stood up, dusted off her jeans, and moved towards me. “Myrmekes, Wendy. Giant ants. They must be carrying some gold or any jewels with them, that’s the only thing that attracts Myrmekes. Shiny objects.”

I know I should feel glad. Justice served, just like that. But then, I felt empty...like I lost a purpose in life. 

“Yeri...you still have Yeri.” says a voice in my head.

I think she’ll be fine, the camp would protect her. I thought to myself, as I looked at Seulgi. I just… I don’t know what to think. What to feel. All I know is that… if all these myths are real... it means the Underworld is real too. 

The moon looks dull tonight. 

Maybe I’ll see Taeyeon before this night ends. 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Helloooo helloooooo! Ohhhhh I still can't believe my eyes everytime I open this account, I'm glad you guys appreciate the story hehehe

And the upvotes! The subscribers! I never really thought there would be one huhuhu I just wanna share this story I wrote years ago :D 

Thank you for your support! Always stay safe! 

 

*PS. I do read your comments hehehehe I was about to reply to all of them, but I'm afraid I would give out some spoilers sooo....I'm sorry hehehe