Care

Puzzle Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minji was sure that she would get a cold when she stood by the cold rain last night for almost half an hour waiting for her bus and after that since she was already soaked she didn't even bother to run to her apartment from the bus stop. She just couldn't imagine that her cold would hit her like a truck. 

 

Minji woke up with her phone ringing by the nightstand, she didn't have to look at the name to know that it was her girlfriend — who went yesterday to Incheon to see her parents and decided to sleep there since her mother said it was dangerous to drive at night in a heavy rain from Incheon to Seoul. They were supposed to meet for breakfast in a coffee shop near their university before the class. 

 

With a lot of effort she reached for her phone without leaving the cocoon of blankets she was in. She missed the first time Yoohyeon called but the second time her girlfriend called, she answered on the first ring.

 

"Babe are you on your way? You're kinda late. And you're the one who usually gets earlier than me" Minji sighed.

 

"About that-"

 

"Okay, why does your voice sound so hoarse? Are you okay? Did something happen?" The worry in Yoohyeon's voice was evident. 

 

"Cold" Was all Minji said before coughing.

 

"Okay, I'll be home in a bit" Minji just hummed and closed her eyes drifting off. 

 

After turning the phone off Yoohyeon drove to the nearest pharmacy to buy Minji's medicine, after buying she thought what more she could do for the girl, so she decided to call the first person that crossed her mind.

 

"Hello? Yoohyeonie?"

 

"Hi Mom" 

 

"Did you get to Seoul safely?"

 

"Yes, I reached safely. I called you to ask about soup and tea recipes for cold"

 

"Are you sick?"

 

"No, no. Not me. It's Minji. We were supposed to meet at a coffee shop before the class, but she was late and when I called her she sounded so weak, she probably is high on fever and she was coughing too"

 

"Oh sweetie. For soups you can make samgyetang and bean sprout soup. For tea you can always do yuja cha and ginger lemon. I used to feed you these when you and your brothers got cold"

 

"Oh, I remember! I always felt better after eating your food." Yoohyeon said with a genuine smile remembering her childhood. "Can you send me the recipe for text? I'll go to the market and I'll buy the things to make her the soup and the tea"

 

"Sure honey. I hope Minji feels well soon"

 

"Thanks Mom. I'll go now. Love you"


 

-x-


 

Minji woke up a few minutes later with the door of the room opening.

 

"Yooh?" She said weakly.

 

"It's me. How are you feeling?" She questioned approaching the bed with light steps.

 

"Like a truck went over me" The older said between coughs and peaked over the covers to see her girlfriend with a frown and worried eyes. Yoohyeon sits on the bed and reaches for Minji's forehead with the back of her hand to check her temperature.

 

"You're burning. How do you even get this bad? Don't even need to answer, it was probably the rain yesterday. You being you, I bet you didn't took the umbrella even though I said it would rain" 

 

"Sorry. But in my defense the sky didn't have any clouds" Minji said, sulking.

 

"I know, but you have to trust me. To be fair, if I hadn't called my mom in the morning I wouldn't have taken the umbrella too…" Yoohyeon said with a guilty smile. "She said it was going to rain and well... you know how moms are, they seem to have a super power everytime they tell it's going to rain, it rains"

 

"Okay, I promise to listen to your mom more" Said the older girl tiredly smiled while the younger pouted.

 

"Well, talking about mom, I called her to ask about soup recipes to make you feel better. Oh! and I bought medicine for you too." Yoohyeon said, fixing Minji's bangs. "I'm gonna take care of you, okay? I can't give you the flu medicine without you eating something. So while I cook the soup you stay in bed and try to sleep a bit. I'm gonna bring some wet towel to put on your forehead to try to lower your fever" The tall girl was about to leave the bed when Minji reached for her hand.

 

"Don't you have classes today?"

 

"I do. But you are more important than my class. And don't even try to argue with me, okay? I know I'm younger but this time I'm in charge. So let me take care of you." Minji just nodded defeated. Yoohyeon approached the girl and kissed her forehead.

 

"Love you, I'll be right back"


 

Yoohyeon went to the kitchen and put cold water in a bowl and went back to Minji, after picking a towel in the drawer the younger went to her lover who was still awake but her eyes were almost closing. Minji's tired eyes followed every movement of the other girl. Yoohyeon wet and wrung the towel and placed it on her girlfriend's forehead.

 

"Is it too cold?" Minji shook her head.

 

"It's perfect. Thank you, babe" Yoohyeon caressed her face making Minji lean into her touch.

 

"I'll go make your food now" Before she could leave the older woman put her hand on the other girl's thigh.

 

"Promise me you will not put the kitchen on fire" Minji said looking into the younger's eyes.

 

"It was just one time!" Yoohyeon retorted while blushing, remembering the incident. "And it's totally your fault, Missy! How could a mortal like me resist a goddess like you in your more devilish look kissing my neck and doing stuff while I cook? It went on fire. Literally." Minji laughed softly and yawned right after.

 

"Try to sleep a bit, I'll woke you up when the food is ready"

 

"Thanks Hyonie"

 

While cooking every ten minutes Yoohyeon went to their room to put a fresh towel on Minji's forehead, one of those moments the older woman was smiling and mumbling something that the younger couldn't quite catch, but it was cute. And Yoohyeon couldn't help but think how much she loved the older girl with all her heart.

 

Minji and Yoohyeon met when they were still little kids, their parents were best friends so it came naturally. They went to the same school so their friendship grew stronger and Minji being a year and half older, she always took care of Yoohyeon. And the younger couldn't stop the feelings for the older that bloomed in her heart. At Minji's graduation day, Yoohyeon took the chance to confess and she didn't expect the older girl to feel the same. 



 

It was graduation day. Minji's graduation day. Yoohyeon felt nervous and a little bit of anxiety rising into her chest for a lot of reasons. 

 

First, it was Minji's special day - The older  — aka the best student in her year that was graduating with honors was the class leader. — was chosen to say a few words in the ceremony, so Yoohyeon being a good friend, felt nervous for her. 'Let's be nervous together. That way I can lift a little bit of the pressure off your shoulder.' That was what the younger girl said to her friend over a phone call last night.

 

Second, Minji was going to study abroad and the graduation means that she only had a week with her before the older leaves. So she was being extra clingy and needy for the girl's company. 'We have to compensate for all the time we won't cuddle and spend time together in the future.' That was Yoohyeon's lame excuse when Minji asked her when they were having a sleepover a month ago. 

 

This leads to the third reason, Yoohyeon was in love with Minji and she was going to confess. The girl took a deep breath and looked at herself in the mirror. 'You can do it! She's going to leave to study a year in Japan, what can you lose? In the worst case she rejects me and leaves for another country, no hard feelings.' Yoohyeon didn't even know when the pining over her childhood friend started but she was determined to end it today.


 

Minji was looking stunning in her graduation gown. Well everyone that was grad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter