Chapter 33

Love(Editing)

Eun Ji

We played all day and went sightseeing again. When dusk fell, we went back home and made wishes to a wishing doll. I made lemon juice and got 2 glasses and poured some in. I went out to the back porch where Kang Gary was sitting.

"Hey Kang Gary" I greeted him, handing him one of the glasses containing lemon juice. I took the seat next to him, looking up at the moon.

"You don't want to join them in playing Korea Audition?" He asked. I turned my attention to him and shook my head. We went back to watching the moon, sipping on our juice, silence and peace filling the gap.

"So what did you truly wish for in the jar?" I turned my head towards him to find him staring at me.

"Hey it’s okay if you don't want to share it. It is your wish"

"You want to know what I wished for?"

"Sure"

"I wished for everyone's well being and health. And I also wished for everyone to be happy. I also wished for my wife to come back" He finished, looking up at the atramentous sky.

"Your wife?" I asked.

"Yeah my wife. Her name is Hwan Ae Cha. We dated for almost 8 years before I proposed to her. We had been married for 3 years when it happened. One day I came back from work and I found her laying in the bath tub her skin paler than normal, crying and shaking....." His voice was vague and distant like it had just happened yesterday.

"... She was talking about people chasing her down, and trying to kill her. I thought it was all nonsense so I told her to forget about it. But as weeks went by, her condition got worse and I had to do something to help her. I sent her to an asylum. It was my way of helping her at that time..."

"And what happened to her?" I asked out of curiosity.

"It turned out that she was meant to take on the family tradition of being a Zen Buddhist shaman. But she abandoned her duties and ran to the capital where we met and fell in love. After 4 weeks of working myself trying to pay for her medical bills and well being, I got the news. She had run away from the hospital." He finished, rubbing his eyes.

"I'm so sorry to hear that" I reached out and rubbed his back in an attempt to comfort him.

"It's okay. I hope she's save and living. I still love her."

"Did you try searching for her?" I asked, removing my hand.

"Yeah and I'm still looking for her. I even went as far as going to visit her parents but they refused to even speak to me, blaming me for everything that's happened to their daughter. They said that if I truly loved her then I would have forced her to go back and become a shaman"

"I hope over time they'll be able to understand your decisions. I also hope you're able to find her. Alive" I truly meant what I said.

"Thank you, Eun Ji. You're a very good listener."I nodded my head, remembering the question he had asked me.

"I wished for life to get a bit easier, my friend's love life to go well and for Zico to acknowledge my feelings for him" I answered, setting my empty cup down.

"Zico likes you"

"Sure he does. He just sees me as a friend and a Co worker" I said, crossing my legs guru style.

"I'm being serious. He likes you but he's in denial about his feelings. The way he looks at you says it all. The guy wants you" I let out a giggle, regaled by his funny way of saying it.

"What's so funny? I'm telling you the truth, and you're laughing at me?"

"Sorry. I didn't mean to laugh at you" I said, trying to stabilize my breathing.

"It’s okay. Just leave Zico alone. He'll come around. He's never experienced love before so it’s going to be kind of hard for him"

"Thank you so much for the advice, Gary"

"Thank you for what advice?" I heard Zico ask me from behind. I sit there, panicking. Did he hear, what we were saying?

"I am sorry Zico but it's none of your business” Gary finished while getting up with the empty cups.

"It’s time to head inside. Zico, what time is it?" Gary asked. I got up, stretching my arms.

"It's 9:50pm" Zico answered. As I was walking pass him, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"We need to talk" He released my arm and turned around to face Gary.

"You go inside. Eun Ji and I have something to talk about" Gary nodded his head as he went inside and closed the glass door behind him.

"So...what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, fumbling with my shirt.

"Let's go for a little walk. I need to clear my head" Zico said, walking away, towards the dirt road. I stood there for a second before running after him. He slowed down his steps as I got closer. In no time we fell into step, walking towards an unknown place.

"What did you want to tell me?" I shoved my hands into my pockets looking up at the crescent moon. He didn't say anything but kept on walking. I followed in silence unsure of what exactly he wanted to tell me. I looked around, trying to see but wasn't able to. I looked up at the sky while walking. I suddenly crushed into the back of Zico.

"We're here" he went and sat onto a giant rock looking ahead. I hesitated for a bit before going to sit next to him.

"You like me, don't you?" He asked, looking at me. I sat there, rubbing my hands together, unable to say anything. I sat there for a while before answering.

"You heard what I told Kang Gary?" I asked, not looking at him.

"I didn't hear anything you guys said. Besides it's obvious that you like me" he got up and looked ahead.

"You like me too" I also got up and stood by the rock.

"What do you want, Eun Ji? I want you to stop your little obsession" he said. I didn't understand him. Why was he all of a sudden being mean?

"It's not an obsession when I just like you" I answered, trying not to lose it.

"Well what type of person will know where I live? Not unless you're a stalker. Which in fact you are˝ he turned and faced me, his voice hinting anger. I turned around, ready to storm out but he yanked me to him and covered my mouth with his in a hungry kiss.

I responded immediately, surprising myself. His mouth was so warm, and the caress of his lips was softer than the first kiss we've shared. He tasted tentatively with his tongue, and I opened my mouth with a low moan. I wrapped my hands around his neck, pulling him closer. As if on command, He placed his hands on my lower back, making a circular motion. Suddenly, Zico pushed away as if he'd been burned. He walked backwards,turned and started pacing back and forth with his hands resting behind his back.

"I like you...but I don't want to hurt you so..." he said in a strangled voice.

”Pretend like this never happened. Let's just be friends."

"...oh" I said, looking at the ground. I was afraid of the mixed emotions of eagerness and disappointment. I wasn't quite sure how to react to the kiss. Or to Zico's show of regret.

"I'll go back first. You can tag along if you want" he turned around and started walking towards the path but I stopped him.

"Why? Why did you lead me on? Why did you save me from humiliation?" As the questions flew out of my mouth, a ping of sudden regret hit me. I didn't want to hear his answers.

"That is what friends do. And since I'm your friend, I'm obviously going to help you" he answered in a matter of fact voice. I quickly wiped away the tears spilling out. How could he do this to me? But I still wanted to know more.

"Who is it? Who do you like?" I asked, immediately covering my mouth again.

"No one in particular. As soon as I find a girl who is like me then I'll go for it. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt you. You deserve better" with that said, he began walking away, the darkness swallowing him until I could hear him no more. I let all the tears out, bewailing in self pity. I wiped my eyes with my shirt and started walking towards the path that led to the house. I bit my lips to keep the tears from coming out. It must have taken me no more than 5 minutes because I was approaching the brightly lit house. Out in front was Kwon standing there, looking at me with a smile on his face.

"Hey why are you coming now? Where did you go?” He asked as I got closer.

“Ah…I went for a little walk” I answered.

“Ok let’s get inside. It’s late.” He opened the door and held it opened. I walked through and slipped off my shoes. I turned around and said good night before walking towards the bedroom which Jae Rim and I shared. I changed out of my clothes into my pajamas before I climbed on the bed and lay beside my sleeping little sister. I watched her sleep for a while before turning on my side, my back facing her.

I began to cry, feeling sorry for myself. How could I be so blind? As that question kept on playing in my head, I kept on crying. I bit on my lips to keep the sounds and sobs in. After what seemed like eternity of crying, I stopped and wiped my eyes. I closed my eyes, waiting for sleep to come.