Roller Coaster Moment

When The Moon Embraced By The Sun

Moonbyul officially became a member of Tsuki No Hikari. She got her first performance after one week she joined the club. I, Moonbyul, and the other members of the band were invited to an event of Manga and Anime Lovers in one district of Seoul.  The reaction given by the audition was beyond expectations, they were really enthusiastic watching our performance. We performed three songs at that time; Senbonzakura, Lemon by Kenshi Yonezu, and Sobakasu by Judy and Mary. The audience always scream my name “Solar! Solar! Solar!” in every song we performed, and right now they added another name to scream, “Moonstar!” they screamed. Yes, Moonstar is Moonbyul’s stage name. Even more surprising, Moonbyul could growl, following me singing. She has a really deep y voice, making the crowd more enthusiast. I’ve never seen the crowd went crazy like that in our history performance on stage.

 “Thank You for your hardwork!” all the members said, bowed to each other, satisfied with the performance we gave to the audience.

“You’re so damn cool, new kid!” Wheein, our drummer, said enthusiastically. Kanghyun, the bassist nodded aggre with his cool gesture.

“I’m sure you will get A for all your marks.” Jinki Oppa, our keyboardist added. Moonbyul was taking music major in our Univesity, I believe she will take a guitar for subject concentration later. Her playing was really amazing and mesmerizing, so crazy…

I saw Moonbyul blushed and gave her unique smile to the others. “I said that you guys will fall in love with me”, she smirked.

“Haissh…” I grumbled unconsciously. Moonbyul then looked at me, her eyes stared in such a way that I couldn’t describe. At first, I confused but then she raised her eyebrow, waiting for me.

“Yeah, yeah… Moon Byulyi, your performance is really good.” I couldn’t believe she wanted me to praise her. I know that she’s really great, I just too lazy to utter the words because I know she will replay in a greasy way.

“Not as good as your voice, my pretty Eonni…”

See! What I’ve told you before? Ughh so annoying!

 

Shortly after that, the five members began to tidy up the music equipments and each other’s belongings, we also changed our costume at changing room near the backstage.

“Allright then, we go home first! See you at Club!” said Wheein, Kanghyun, and Jinki Oppa, in synchronize way. I smiled and bowed to them.

 I still struggling with my belongings especially my costume. Being a vocalist sure has the most complicated costume than the other members.

“Eonni, you still here?” Moonbyul suddenly stood beside me, watching me tidy up the stuff into bag.

“What do you think?” I answered in sarcastic way.

“What a cold woman…” I casted a glance of death toward her, “but that’s really cute” then she continued, with her greasy smirk.

“Hauuuhhh… yeah I really want to lay down on bed as soon as possible, and now I still struggling with my stage costume.” I answered nonchalantly.

“What are you gonna take?”

“Seoul Metro” I answered shortly.

“Yes! Me too! Come’on Eonni... Let’s go home together.” Sometimes I’m amazed, where’s she got that big enthusiasm from her thin body. I nooded right away as my answer.

“Sure. I live at I district. You live at Y district, right?”

“Woah, how do you know Eonni?” She asked me back, amazed.

“I was your interviewer, remember? Your personal data written in a form.” I simply answered and finally I finished with my belonging. “Let’s go!”

For a second, I didn’t hear Moonbyul answered me back. There was silent. Why she didn’t say anything… Then I saw her frozed there blushing.

“I-am… silly me, hehehe” she grins.

Awwww I couldn’t believe I saw this side of her. She looks like a hamster. That’s cute tho’

------------------------------------------------------

Our band became more and more popular and famous nowadays. Society especially Japanese lovers in Seoul, South Korea, knew a band named “Hoshizora”. We performed more often so the relationship between us getting closer, including me and Moonbyul.

“Byul-ah” I called. One day, we already finished our practice.

“Yes Eonni?” she answered while tidying up her guitar equipments.

“Are you free this weekend?” then I Saw her glanced at me, her smile getting wide, “Why, you wanna take me on a date?” I knew she would tease me like this. I answered with a soft sigh and rolled my eyes. Right afer I’m going to take an exit door without utter another word, she chased after me and gripped my wrist. “Don’t be mad, Ddun…”

“Oh, now you called me as you will. I’m older than you hey!” I pouted my lips and she giggled.

“It’s because of your mochi cheeks. Don’t blame me if I make you call like that, Eonni… besides, I’m only younger one year than you.”

“Yeah, yeah whatever. Call me whatever you want! So how is it? Do you have a free time this weekend? There’s Comic-Con at COEX Mall. I’m cosplaying there.” I replied with a quick tone, without semicolons. I glanced at her, waiting for her answer. I wasn’t sure she understands what I’m saying clearly or not. There was a silent at the moment. I thought she really didn’t catch my words. Well, I’ll just forget to invite her, maybe I’ll go alone or let me ask Wheiin later. I continued heading to the exit door until I heard her.

“Of course, Yong…” I froze. She called my name softly with her deep voice. I looked at her.

“I will accompany you wherever you go…” she continued, as usual in a greasy way.

Unconsciously, I smiled widely

---------------------------------------------------

Since that day, Moonbyul always there accompany me, everywhere. Not only to Comic-Con or whatever event that related with Japan where we were not perform, she oftens accompanied me to other places. We go home together by Seoul Metro, we often visited culinary places before coming home. I admit that she’s greasy and annoying, but other than that she’s kind and cool person. Moreover, she has a soft side of her, she always prioritizes me like when we were heading to Seoul Metro’s gate, she let me in first. Or like when we were queueing for some food, she always stands behind me. Although after that she said in a greasy way, “I’m a gentle woman. I’m protecting you.” Just to think about it, made me smile widely and shook my head, I can’t believe a girl like her exist in this world.

“What’s with You, Yongsun-ssi... you smiling like idiot? Are you okay?” I stunned embarrassed, caught spacing out. I looked at the source of the voice and saw Ahn Hyejin stood there, teasing me.

“Ah, Hyejin-ah… what happen?”

Hyejin was my classmate. She was a member of USA (University Students Association), I heard that she already promoted to become new secretary.

“Here” she gave me an envelope. “your club is invited to perform for our campus event; Summer Festival.” The tan-skin and y woman said.

“Aigoo.. time flies so fast. I can’t believe Summer Festival will start sooner and also it’s like a dream that our community chosen to perform.” I’m not exaggerating, but every year USA will choose some communities which are really popular among campus to have a privilege for performing in Summer Festival. Like last year, the chosen communities are music jazz and Hip-Hop dance community as a representation for pop-culture performance.

“Thank You Hyejin-ah.. Our band will do our best!” I replied enthusiast and smiled happily. Hyejin smiled too.

“I look forward for your performance.” She said, passing the door.

I then read the inviatation given by Hyejin. It’s written that there will be a technical meeting so the member of Hoshizora hopefully be able to attend as a representation. I contacted all the members via group chat, telling them to gather in base camp, after they finished the class.

Around 5 o’clock, we five gathered in meeting room - the room that function as interview room when we accept the new member.

“Wow this invitation is really something! Can’t you imagine the dean and rector will be there!” said Jinki Oppa when I finished telling them about this great news.

“Yes, this is so great, Hoshizora becomes more famous now. I think it’s because of Moonbyul. You are rock, new kid!” Wheein also said happily. Kanghyun, as usual, nooded agree with his cool gesture.

“I feel so grateful we could perform at this big event on campus. You guys are amazing.” I smiled and seeing the members one by one, “We have Wheein who’s so cool beat the drum, Jinki Oppa who gives the best effect and atmosphere with his keyboard, Kanghyun who always cool with his bass, and also Moonbyul as a new member who’s amazing with her guitar! I am so proud of you guys.”

 “and there is You, Eonni… as a soul from the song we performed. Your vocal is really amazing. You are not only singing, you are telling story…”

There, Moonbyul said firmly and confident, stared through my eyes. I stunned hearing what she said before finally thanked her softly.

“Yes, She’s right. You are great Solar. We are all amazing!” all the members said to each other. Then we hugged, felt our bounding more engaged and tighter.

“Allright, so who’s coming for the technical meeting next week? They said only one or two persons can attend.” I asked. The members looked at each other and start mumbling. I could hear their study schedule is quite tight so they were afraid they couldn’t attend. Hmm okay, I guess my schedule for next week not really tight and busy.

 “Well, seems I’m the only one.”

“Then I’m coming with you” I could clearly Moonbyul talked to me. “I finish class 1.30 PM, I know it’s quite tight with the schedule but that’s okay. Besides the USA members will love to see me there.” She continued, in a greasy way as always.

 “Okay then, it settles. Moonbyul and I will go to represent Hoshizora for technical meeting.” I added, closing the meeting.

-----------------------------------------

The day for technical meeting arrived. Everybody who’s invited listening carefully to the USA member who were talking in front, explained everything about the event. As promised to me, Moonbyul accompanied me on that day. Though we were almost late because I had to wait for her in front of USA building, alone, for almost 15 minutes long… and thank God 10 minutes later finally Byul coming, hal-running and out of breath. She apologized and explaining that there was a brief discussion about her class project. I couldn’t blame her tho’ because the distance between Fine Arts Faculty and USA Building quite far. Her intention already good by accompany me here, she made me thankful and couldn’t angry. It means she cares about our band.

“Summer Festival, held once a year, is really big and famous festival in our University…”

Moonbyul and I paid attention carefully to the chairman of the committee. He explained about history and the goal how this Festival is held. I also did not forget to take a note everything said by him. 10 minutes run already and then it continued with the main discussion “Performance-session”.

“Hello everyone, I’m Eric Nam, I’m in charge to handle all of you for the session performance later.”

I continued taking note.

“Basically, the performance session will be divided into two concept; traditional and pop-culture. This year, as usually, who will perform for traditional concept are Gugak Community, classical music ensemble, and salmunori. Whereas for pop-culture, some of them that have privilege this year are Manhwa Community, Accapella Community, and Japanese Band from Tsuki No Hikari. Thank You for you guys to attend this today technical meeting.” He said smiling to everyone in the room, including me and Moonbyul.

“Each of you are welcome to perform two songs or performances…” He continued. “Except, if the rector and the dean ask special request to do encore when they watch your performance later.”

Me and Moonbyul looked at each other meaningfully, then we smiled. Got a request for encore from audience indeed really make us happy, but this.. this is from the campus leaders. Can’t you imagine that? Honestly, we are not hoping too much, the important thing is we will do our best in every performance later. But I think preparing more songs just in case won’t get hurt.

----------------------------------

Two months later, the day for us to perform in Summer Festival finally arrived. We prepared everything from the song, our practice, until our physical health. The crowded sounds from the audience made us really enthuasiast and a lil bit nervous. This Summer Festival is not only for the campus society but also open for public. I hope those audience like our performance. I always remind to myself to not really over confident because after all we are Japanese band community and this time we are not performing at Japanese event or festival but public event… I wish they will like us…  

“Eonni! Don’t you see the audience there? It’s so crowded!” Byul interrupted me while spacing out. Apparently she already finished changing her costume stage, she took a peek the audience outside from the back stage curtain.

 “Fighting, Byul-ah~” I whispered and smiled.

For our performance today, I wore two pieces of see-through outfit with the studded stickers; top with an open armpit cutting and high-knee skirt. Eventhough the outfit style is see-through, certainly I wore inner with the same skin colour inside. For the shoes, I wore platform shoes with the transparent cover and rainbow colour for the platform. I divided my blonde hair into two and braided them.

 

While Moonbyul really looked cool with her jumpsuit-style clothing. Red colour jumpsuit with the blazer cut, black tie and black belt. She wore black high-knee boots for the shoes. She looked really charming with her loosen black hair.

Our pretty drummer, Wheein, looked so superior and y at the same time with her black two-pieces outfit; tanktop with short blazer outside and tight pants and also the high-knee boots.

Kanghyun, wore the same outfit like Byul but it’s black colour without shirt and tie inside. His blonde hair looked shining, opposed with the outift

The most senior member, Jinki Oppa, looked so dandy. He wore grey colour turtle neck and a black long blazer.

Hoshizora, please stand by. 5 Minutes left until your performance.” The PIC named Eric Nam told us, he came with walky talky and a piece of run-down paper.

 “Okay, here’s the time…” said Jinki Oppa. We then made a circle.

 “Do our best, we can do it” I added.

Entering the stage, the crowd getting louder. I thought many of them are people who usually come to Japanese event and already know us. Well, actually it’s not really important, I shouldn’t think about it. The important thing is we should do our best, no matter what happen and no matter what the audience think.

Here we go.. I said to myself.

I started greeting the audience and continued introducing our band; who we are and all the members’ name. Then without waiting any longer, we started to sing our song. It’s show time~

We sang two songs as a requirement from USA during the technical meeting. The songs are Crossing Field by LISA and Unravel by TK.

I sang with all of my heart and doing interaction with the audience, singing like there’s no tomorrow but still in control. I followed the instruments from the band and synchronizing my vocal with them. I could hear everyone played really great and amazing, exerted their energy, especially Byul who added her deep growl when we sang Unravel.

Time flew so fast until we finally finished the second song. Then I could hear that… that really crowd and loud applauses from the audience. They screamed enthusiastically, their applause getting louder and louder. My eyes started watering when everyone said “ENCORE! ENCORE! ENCORE!”

I glanced at Moonbyul, Wheein, Kanghyun, and Jinki Oppa. They all smiled, as widely as I am… I then bowed to audience and said thank you a few times. We getting ready to get off the stage. After all, we cannot fullfil the request from the audience and sang one more song if it’s not from the leaders who sat in the VIP’s place right now.

I just finished my last bow to the audience while waving my hands and ready to get off the stage, then Eric Nam blocked my way.

“I got a note from one of the Dean, they want an encore from you guys.” He said.

Can’t believe my ears, I smiled so widely. I feel my cheeks bone could loose anytime because I’m so happy today. With enthusiasm around us, we back to the stage. This time we sang Gurunge by Lisa. The crowd sounds exploded and getting louder, they also sing along with me, event the Japanese lover shouting the fanchant. I will never forget this unforgetable moment.

-----------------------------------

“Thank you for your hardwork! You guys are amazing!” said Eric Nam, greeted us in the back stage. I bowed politely.

“All of you are talented and could bring the crazy and amazing vibes!” he continued, we smiled at him and said thank you.

“Especially the guitarist named Moonstar. You are so cool! Your playing made the whole campus went crazy and hysterics!” He looked at Moonbyul. I saw her smile toward him and say thanks for the praise she got.

I simply smile, joined her.

---------------------------------

“Kim Yongsun!” I stunned when someone call my name and pat my shoulder from the back. I already changing my costume and just about to tidy up my belonging. I saw Eric oppa, stood behind me.

“Oh, Hello..” I bowed.

“Ah, sorry to make you surprised.”

“That’s okay.. What Happen Oppa?”

I saw he little bit nervous and act awkwardly, smiling. I felt so amazed seeing him like that. What’s wrong with him, smiling like an idiot..

“I.. actually feel so embarrassed saying this… but I don’t want to let go this opportunity.” I waited for his next sentences.

“I guess.. you close enough with that guitarist named Moonstar…”

“Umm, yeah, something like that.. she’s so annoying tho’…” I said quickly.

“Hmm?” Eric frowned.

“Ahahaha no, no.. just forget it! Hahaha” I laughed awkwardly. “So, What is it Oppa? Yeah, as you can see Moonbyul and I almost meet everyday, of course it’s because our band practice schedule. What’s wrong

Oppa?”

I could see Eric a little confused and doubt to answer my question. I waited for him patiently.

“No.. there’s nothing wrong of course.. I just.. I, you know maybe this sounds so rude and impolite, but I need your help to make me getting closer to her.”

I need some times to understand what Eric said just now. So.. He…

“Don’t say you like her, Oppa?!” I said, half-screaming.

 “Sttt..” He hurriedly asked to volume down my voice.

“Well, allright, I will help you.” I answered briefly without asking any further to him. I suddenly felt my body numb. Maybe I’m really tired and so starving, I just want to go home.

“Thank You Solar-ssi, I mean Kim Yongsun. I owe you.” He said again. I simply smiled then heading to changing room. There, I saw Moonbyul already changed her costume.

“Hi there..” I greeted her.

“Eonni.. here, sit down beside me.” She pat a space beside her. I obeyed her and lean back on the sofa, straightening my aching back.

“You seemed tired.”

I looked at Byul and gave her a thin smile.

“What’s the matter Yong? Where’s your wide smile going?” Byul pinched my cheek, I hurriedly brushed her arm, “Haishh” I grumbled.

“Yes, that’s what I want to see. My grumpy ddunie is back.” I don’t know why but her words made me smile widely again.

Before going home, I, Moonbyul, and all the members were wandering around for a moment, enjoying the Festival atmosphere. We tried several types of culinary to full our empty stomach. After we satisfied, we went home and said goodbye to each other.

Like usually, Moonbyul and I went home together by Seoul Metro. When we arrived at the station where I got off, Moonbyul following me and took an exit gate.

“Byul-ah?” I taken aback.

“Let me take you home, Eonni.. “

Heard her words made me silent and didn’t know what to say. All the way home, we walked side by side in silence. A few moments later I sighed long and deeply, broke the silence atmosphere between us.

“You looked so tired. You don’t want to tell me anything? I’m worrying you..”

“I.. just feel so proud with you guys. Proud because I could be a part of Tsuki no Hikari and Hoshizora… and have come this far. I am so glad and grateful.” I said, stared the orange sky above me.

“and glad to know me, right?” her greasy words made me punch her shoulder lightly. Moonbyul chuckled with my reaction.

“Byul…”

“Yong?” She called me softly.

“When I was in front of dressing room, Eric Oppa said something to me.” I saw Byul glanced at me, waiting me to continue.

“He said that he likes you. I guess he amazed with your cool guitar playing. He asked me to help to get you closer with him…”

“Hmmmm..” Byul seemed like thinking. “I told you right, my playing is amazing!”

“Haissh, can’t you be little serious Byul!” I raised my voice, annoyed.

“Hahaha, so what do you want me to say, Eonni?”

Honestly, her question made me confused too. I didn’t know what should I say.

“Well. Perhaps you can try to be friend with him. Besides, he’s a USA member, that’s so cool, isn’t it? I finally said awkwardly. I saw Moonbyul considering my words.

“Okay Eonni, I’ll try”