Yesterday's Heartbeat

Yesterday's Heartbeat

Three blissful years of affinity. Three years filled with promises of forever. Three long years of shared laughter and tears. The arguments they often had were worth the make-up at the end of the day. They were the perfect couple in other people's eyes. They have their differences but instead of it being a barrier, they took those as something new to learn from each other. Every touch... every kiss... it gives both of them an electrifying feeling that they have never felt with anyone else before. The two of them knew that they have found their haven the moment they shared their first kiss.

But the relationship with over flowing affection did not last longer than that. As time passed by, things got less and less exciting. Unlike during the earlier days, when they felt thrilled to see each other every single day, when it felt like a movie to be tangled in each other's arms at night and wake up in each other's embrace, when they felt painfully good every time their lips touch, now it feels natural to cuddle under the blanket while watching a film. Everything felt like It’s just part of a daily habit. Their once long and boundless conversations are now brief and short. Mostly just "How was your day?" "Fine" “okay” and the conversation ends.

Hyerin can't deny that whatever they have is dying. She appreciates the things Chanyeol are trying to do to save their relationship. She appreciates how Chanyeol would try to make her laugh with the jokes she have heard many times before. She appreciates how he would give her flowers and ask her out on dates. But she can't help but feel like all of those were forced. She can tell that they are not enjoying each other's company as much as they used to, at least she doesn't anymore.

 

Chanyeol asked Hyerin to watch a movie again for the 4th time that week. Hyerin would rather stay in bed all day, but she can't resist the dumb smile plastered on Chanyeol's face. So she changed her clothes and fixed her hair in front of the mirror, sighing before leaving her dorm with her boyfriend.

"Let's watch this action film!" Chanyeol happily pointed to the movie poster, the petite girl standing beside him with an expressionless face.

"I don't like action films Chanyeol, did you forget?"

"Oh sorry" Chanyeol sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "How about this one?" The tall guy with curly brown hair pointed to a fantasy movie. Hyerin sighed and shook her head. "No? Okay how abo-"

"I don't want to watch anything. Can we just go eat something?" Hyerin crossed her arms. Chanyeol looked down at his girlfriend for a while and nodded with a smile.

"Okay babe, if that's what you want" He put his arm around Hyerin's shoulder, just like how he always does, and pulled her away.

 

One Friday movie night at Hyerin's dorm room, Chanyeol is telling Hyerin how his day was while a movie they've seen before is playing in front of them. Chanyeol is sitting on the floor, at the foot of Hyerin's bed, while she is leaning against him with her back pressed against his chest. Chanyeol’s arms are draped around Hyerin's waist, just like how he always does on a Friday movie night.

"My mom is pressuring me to get a major this coming semester. It's really bothering me, how can I pick a major if I still don't know what I want"

"Maybe she's right" Hyerin said with eyes still fixed on the screen. Chanyeol looked down at his girlfriend wrapped in his arms.

"What do you want me to do?"

"It’s not up to me, Chanyeol. What do you want to do?" Hyerin looked up and met Chanyeol’s brown eyes. "Do you even want to do anything?"

Chanyeol searched Hyerin's face before answering "I just want to be with you"

Hyerin scoffed and pulled away from Chanyeol. Other times, she would have blushed and kissed her boyfriend. But she is not amused at all. Hyerin is a girl full of ambitions. She wants to achieve something, be successful, and live a happy life. At first, she didn't mind Chanyeol having no plans for his future. She told herself that maybe he just needs more time. But in their 3 years of relationship, not even once did Chanyeol talk about what he wants to do in the future. She even thought he would pursue his music since Chanyeol is really good at writing songs. And when he sings, even angels would descend from heaven and watch. But no, music is just another hobby for him. He's the guy who'll just sit and watch what tomorrow will unfold.

Chanyeol didn't say another word when he saw Hyerin's reaction. He knows her too well... it's best to not argue. He shifted his eyes back to the movie playing in front of him. Hyerin glared at Chanyeol but her gaze immediately softened. She flipped over the blanket on her bed and laid herself down. She was angry at Chanyeol, but then she looked at her lover and felt the familiar irregular beating of her heart. She can't stay mad at him. All Hyerin can do is heave a sigh and close her eyes.

 

Finals week is approaching and they both became busy with studying, at least Hyerin is. Hyerin's major is literature. She has been researching at the library every day for a week. She is more than prepared to take her final exam, but her research project made her stay at the library for hours every day. Hyerin was assigned to do a research about the history of films. Although her boyfriend, being a big western movie fan, offered to help her; but instead of being a help, Chanyeol just distracts her so Hyerin told Chanyeol to leave her alone when she's doing her research. After half an hour of searching for books, Hyerin went back to her usual table near the window, where she can look at the peaceful school garden when she feels her head throbbing for consuming too much information about film's history.

"Hey Hyerin!" Hyerin looked up from the 1997 edition film making's history book she was reading. She saw her loud and cheerful friend waving at her from across the room "What's up love?" Baekhyun said, his voice too loud for the library, which earned him a glare from the other students who are trying to concentrate on their studies. "Geez, keep your voice down Baekhyun" Hyerin hissed as Baekhyun approached her with a handsome guy trailing behind him.

The blonde stranger smiled at her. Hyerin felt her cheeks pink. "Tell me you love me" Baekhyun said with a smug on his face. "I don't" Hyerin shot which made the stranger behind Baekhyun giggle. "Oh come on! And here I am saving your from this research paper. Hyerin, meet Sehun" Baekhyun pulled Sehun beside him "He's a film making major and he's willing to help you with your paper"

"Hi I'm Oh Sehun" The boy said.

"I'm so nice, right? I'm the bestest best friend there is. Now my class will start in 5 minutes and that old professor of mine will kill me if I'm late. Seriously, like I don't know why she hates me so much. It's like she can see the world's male population in me and blames me for her forever status as a Mary. Anyway, you two work hard okay? Oh I'm gonna be late! Ciao!" Baekhyun looked at his wrist watch before dashing out of the library muttering "I'm so late" on his way out.

Sehun looked back at Hyerin and gave her a sweet smile. The latter abruptly stood up and extended her hand for a shake. "I-I'm Shin Hyerin"

 

Hyerin and Sehun started spending more time together. At first they would just hang out at the library, doing Hyerin's research all day. One hot afternoon, Sehun asked Hyerin if they can take a short burger break. The two went to a nearby diner and started a small conversation. They haven't really talked before aside from talking about Hyerin's research paper. That break was followed by a couple of more coffee breaks the next days... and the "innocent breaks" turned into friendly dates. Even after spending the whole day at the library, Hyerin and Sehun would go out and eat dinner together. Hyerin got to know Sehun a little more. She found out that Sehun is very passionate about film making. He wants to be a successful man in the industry someday. Just like herself, Sehun is full of ambitions. As the days they spent together passed by, Hyerin started liking Sehun more and more.

Chanyeol knows about Sehun, only because Hyerin would always bring him up on their conversations. He knows that Hyerin and her study partner would often see each other even on weekends. But he isn't jealous of the guy. He knows that Hyerin is naturally friendly and he is used to seeing her surrounded by other people.

 

"I'm sorry" Hyerin squeezed Chanyeol’s face between her palms. The stubborn boy still refused to look at his girlfriend who is sitting on his lap. Hyerin pouted and gave him a quick kiss on the lips, but still, Chanyeol wouldn't budge. Hyerin's lower lip trembled and she sighed, getting off Chanyeol's lap and sitting beside him instead, crossing her arms. "Fine! I'll never hang out with Baekhyun again. I'll just be lonely forever and be a total loser"

Chanyeol bit back a smile. He loves it when Hyerin is acting like a little kid. It makes him feel a need to protect her. He wasn't really angry at Hyerin. He never was. He was just teasing her.

Hyerin pouted as she plays with her and Chanyeol's matching couple bracelet "I really don't get why you're jealous of Baekhyun. Seriously! He is 100% gay. I don't think he even like boys. In short, he only loves himself and do you kn-"

Chanyeol stopped Hyerin by grabbing her chin and pressing his lips on hers. 

 

No, he can never get jealous of other guys. As long as Hyerin is happy, that is all he needs to know.

 

Months passed by... Chanyeol and Hyerin only grew distant from each other. After trying to talk to Chanyeol about his future one night during dinner, Chanyeol had enough and he answered back to Hyerin for the first time. And also that night... Chanyeol walked out on Hyerin for the first time.

They don't go on dates anymore. Their Friday movie nights became rare, sometimes they'll even turn off the TV in the middle of a movie and just call it a night. Chanyeol doesn't sleep over at Hyerin's dorm anymore. They call or text each other just to say good morning or goodnight. They changed... or at least, Hyerin has changed. They are becoming a stranger each day. On the contrary, Hyerin and Sehun go out more often. Sometimes, their Saturday nights are spent at Sehun's house. Sehun’s grandmother adores Hyerin a lot. After eating a homemade dinner, they'll sit on Sehun's porch and talk for hours till dawn.

Baekhyun noticed Hyerin and Sehun's growing closeness. He can't help but blame himself for being the reason why Chanyeol and Hyerin's relationship is sinking. He tried to talk to Hyerin but she said that Sehun is just a friend. Baekhyun tried to talk to Chanyeol and told him everything he noticed, but the latter just smiled and said "It's okay. She's happy... so let her be". All Baekhyun can do is look at Chanyeol in pity. He is a fan of Hyerin and Chanyeol. He witnessed how they fell in love. He witnessed how much Hyerin means to Chanyeol. Even though Hyerin snaps at her boyfriend all the time, Chanyeol will just smile and apologize even though he did nothing wrong. When Hyerin is being too annoyingly demanding, all the loving boyfriend would do is smile and say "Okay babe. If that's what you want".

Hyerin was thrilled when Chanyeol asked her to be his girlfriend. It was Hyerin's first relationship, that's why she was really excited. She would always go all out in surprising Chanyeol for no reason. She even wrote Chanyeol love letters every day for a year, just to tell Chanyeol how thankful she is to wake up every day knowing that Chanyeol is in her life. Hyerin  and Chanyeol are two people who can't function well without the other. But now, their relationship is as good as over.

 

No one can measure the happiness Chanyeol felt when Hyerin finally agreed to be his girlfriend. All the days he spent trying to impress the girl he likes by serenading her with his guitar has paid off. Chanyeol kept on shifting uncomfortably in his sit when they went to an 80's cafe, a few blocks away from their school dorm, after they became official. The usually talkative tall boy turned silent in front of the reason for his rapid heartbeat. Hyerin was the one who broke the ice and started a conversation. Just an hour inside that little cafe and a slice of rainbow cake being shared by the two, Hyerin was able to pull Chanyeol away from his diffident state.

"No you didn't!" Chanyeol burst in another round of laughter. Hyerin's eyes turned crescent seeing the once bashful boy in front of him laugh.

"You should laugh more often" Hyerin suddenly blurted. Chanyeol froze and stared at her "I like your laugh"

Chanyeol felt his heart pounding in an abnormal pace in his chest. Hyerin giggled and reached for Chanyeol's hand and squeezed it. "Don't worry! From now on, I'll be here to make you laugh!"

 

It's ten in the evening when Chanyeol received a text from Hyerin. Usually, it is hard to get his attention when he is holding his guitar, but when he heard his personalized ringtone especially for his girlfriend, he put his guitar down with a silly grin on his face.

'Let's meet at our cafe tomorrow at 9am.'

'Okay. Goodnight'

He waited for another reply. He knew that Hyerin will not text back anymore. But he secretly hoped for a simple 'Goodnight'

 

Chanyeol arrived at the 80's cafe at 8:15am. He doesn't want Hyerin to wait so he decided to come really early. He chose to sit on the same table they sat on during the first time they went there together. It's been a while since they last had a date. And it felt like forever since Hyerin asked him out first. Chanyeol dressed extra nicely today. Wearing black jeans that fit perfectly, a black shirt, and light denim jacket. Chanyeol even styled his brown hair.

He drummed his fingers on the table and his eyes spotted the silver bracelet hanging on his wrist. It's just a plain silver Chain with an infinity symbol lock. He touched the cold object around his wrist and smiled. That same time, Hyerin walked in the cafe and sat in front of Chanyeol without a greeting or even a smile. Chanyeol noticed that the silver bracelet in Hyerin's wrist is gone... the bracelet that they promised to keep and wear forever just like the infinity symbol in it.

The first time Chanyeol stepped in that cafe 3 years ago, the walls were wooden. The chairs and tables were assorted. There were neon signs everywhere. They served Americano in beer mugs. And his heart was beating in an abnormal pace because he is finally dating the brown eyed girl he had a crush on.

Today, Chanyeol swore that it will be the last time he'll step foot in the old 80's cafe. The walls are still wooden. The chairs and tables are still assorted. There are still neon signs everywhere. They still serve Americano in beer mugs. Nothing has changed… except that the brown eyed girl who used to be his girlfriend has decided to part ways.

"Let's end this Chanyeol. I want to break up"

And instead of crying and asking for an explanation, Chanyeol just smiled and said

"Okay Hyerin, if that's what you want."

What Hyerin failed to notice was the bitterness that hid behind his now Ex-boyfriend's smile. The tears he held back behind those curled lips. She failed to notice the broken person behind his dashing appearance... the one who wants to just break down and cry.

 

That was the last time Hyerin saw Chanyeol. She never saw him again even around the campus. His roommate said Chanyeol dropped out of school after he went back to their dorm crying one day. Nobody knows where he is now. Hyerin felt guilt rush through her veins, but she convinced herself that she made the right decision.

Just a few months after Chanyeol and Hyerin broke up, Sehun and her became official. She was happy with her decision. Sehun made her laugh the way Chanyeol did. Sehun turned out to be a very sweet and caring boyfriend. Their relationship lasted for 9 months before Sehun finally proposed to Hyerin.

They were engaged for one year. In that one year, not even once did Hyerin change her mind or had any regrets. Sehun is the ideal lover that she has always dreamed of. At least that is what her mind is telling her. Every time she envisions her future, it's Sehun she'll see living under the same roof as her.

But the laughter and joy Sehun brought her was not enough. Hyerin felt like something is still missing. Sehun's every touch, his every kiss, Hyerin felt like it's still not enough.

Sehun wanted to wait until after graduation before bringing Hyerin to the altar. And so after receiving their diploma, plus a gold medal for Sehun for graduating with honors, the next thing they received are 2 gold rings that will bond them forever.

"I, Oh Sehun, take you Shin Hyerin to be my partner in life. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live."

Hyerin felt her tears rushing down her cheeks as Sehun put the gold ring on her slender finger. Her soon-to-be husband, in just a few minutes, gently wiped the tears on her cheeks with his own gloved fingers and gave her a loving smile.

"I, Shin Hyerin..."

As soon as Hyerin started with her vow, a certain memory flashed in her mind... and for some reason, the vows that she has been memorizing for weeks was replaced by a vow that she has been keeping in her heart.

"I, Shin Hyerin, choose you....Oh Sehun… to spend the rest of my life with. I promise you my deepest love and fullest devotion. I’ll always be here to laugh at your corny jokes and tell you that everything will be okay when things don’t seem right. You make me forget the negative side of living and shower me with all the best things. I’ve been told that being with you was a mistake, but you prove to me every single day why being with you is the best decision I have ever made. Most importantly, you are the love of my life and you make me happier than I could ever imagine. I vow to love you for the rest of my existence."

And another set of tears started to fall from Hyerin's eyes. Her heart ached not because of happiness. No, she has never felt the irregular beating of her heart with Sehun.

 

It's a hot summer day. The sun is shining brightly up in the sky. The temperature outside is perfect for a picnic day. Hyerin and Chanyeol decided to go to the pond behind their campus. It's off limits, but the two climbed over the locked gate and ran inside while holding hands. Chanyeol is carrying a picnic basket on his other hand while his guitar case hang on his back. On a date like this, he made sure to practice new songs to play for Hyerin.

It's a 15 minutes’ walk through a forest before you can get to the pond. For the two love birds, the danger of the forest was worth it every time they arrive at their sanctuary. The pond is their secret place, something that is just for the two of them. There's a single willow tree just a few meters away from the water. That is their favorite spot.

After eating the sandwich Hyerin made, the two set the basket aside and watched the calm water while listening to the chirping birds. Chanyeol’s back is against the willow tree, while Hyerin is sitting between his legs with her back pressed against her boyfriend's chest and with Chanyeol's arms securely wrapped around her. Chanyeol closed his eyes and buried his face on Hyerin's hair, inhaling her sweet scent that only Hyerin possesses. He placed his hand on her chest and felt the irregular beating of her heart.

"Let's stay here forever. I like this place... I can have you alone"

Hyerin smiled and turned her head to give her boyfriend a kiss. The supposedly quick peck deepened because Chanyeol grabbed the back of Hyerin's head and pressed his lips harder on her. He swiped his tongue across her lower lip and the latter gladly parted her lips. They kept kissing for a while, forgetting the whole world for a moment. It's just the two of them... the whole world doesn't matter.

"I wish we can stay like this forever" Hyerin whispered against Chanyeol’s lips. His hand slid from Hyerin's shoulder, arms, and to her hand. Their eyes never leaving each other.

"Then let's stay like this forever" Chanyeol said and took out two silver bracelets from his pocket. It's a silver chain bracelet with an infinity lock

 

No, the tears she shed on the day of her wedding are not for the man standing in front of her, but for the man she thought of when she said her vow. And for once in a long while, her heart reminded her of a feeling that her mind told her to forget a long time ago. Deep down inside, she felt a big empty space. It’s wrong… it’s too unfair for the man she just married.

 

The first few months of Sehun and Hyerin's marriage came and went in a blur. Their days are filled with what they thought they have to do as a married couple. Sehun got a job in a broadcasting station while Hyerin chose to be a freelance writer. But marriage isn't built with just a stable financial life and great . Two people have to treat their relationship like a burning fire, breathing life into it to make it spark.

The old and long forgotten feeling that hunted Hyerin on the day of her wedding kept on coming back at certain times. But Hyerin ignored it and told herself that Sehun is the one in her life now. He is everything she dreamed of her partner to be. Sehun is smart, his life has a direction, he is undoubtfully handsome, and he makes her happy.

 

Hyerin was woken up by the sunlight sipping through the window blinds. She gently rubbed her eyes and looked up at the man sleeping beside her. She studied Sehun’s facial features and gently brushed his fringe out of his eyes. Sehun caught her hand and gave Hyerin's fingers a soft kiss before opening his eyes.

"Good morning sunshine" He smiled. Hyerin did not say anything and just smiled back. They looked at each other for a while without saying a word.

Hyerin is waiting for a certain feeling... that irregular beating of her heart that feels so painfully good... but it never came.

 

It was already dark when Hyerin opened her eyes. She stretched her arms and yawned. She didn't even notice that she fell asleep in the middle of studying. But she remember sitting on the floor in the living room with her books spread out on the coffee table, now she's lying in bed. When she looked down, she saw an arm wrapped around her waist. Hyerin looked back at the owner of the arm and saw Chanyeol sleeping peacefully behind her. She turned around and snuggled against his toned chest as Chanyeol tightened his arm around his girlfriend and kissed Hyerin's head before falling back to sleep. Hyerin has a content smile on her face... She can feel Chanyeol's heart beating fast then slow... just like her own heart. She loves this feeling... a feeling which only Chanyeol can cause.

 

A year passed by in a blur. Sehun noticed that Hyerin changed ever since the day of their wedding. Even though he never mentioned it, he noticed how Hyerin would often suddenly stare into space with a sad smile on her face. He noticed how Hyerin would sometimes stare at him and look down before shaking her head, as if trying to get rid of a certain image. When they made love, Hyerin would sometimes close her eyes and ask if they can just sleep, which never happened before they got married. Sehun noticed all of this... but he never said a word.

One night Sehun took Hyerin out to see a movie. He was expecting Hyerin to cry because of the sad film, but she didn't. She did not even understand the movie so when Sehun started a conversation about the film they just watched, Hyerin can't answer him... she just looks lost the entire night.

Sehun wasn't aware that the movie theater they went to is the same movie theater where Chanyeol took Hyerin on their first movie date.

 

When Sehun left the house on a Saturday for a meeting with the casts of the first sitcom he's directing, Hyerin has already started cleaning the house. Ever since they moved in together after marriage, their old stuffs were just stored in the attic untouched.

After 6 hours, Sehun went back home with Hyerin's favorite cake because he was expecting his wife to be exhausted after cleaning for hours. But when he stepped inside the house, he heard someone sobbing and found Hyerin sitting on the floor beside their bed while hugging a familiar box tightly against her chest.

Sehun felt a tug in his heart seeing the one he love in tears. He kneeled down beside her and wrapped Hyerin in a comforting embrace. He dare not say a word. He knows why Hyerin is crying... he was expecting this day would come... and he feared it. He has seen that box before...

 

Sehun was looking for his notebook from college. He doesn’t remember throwing it away. Sehun kept all of his books and notes from college thinking that he might need it one day. He went up to the attic where Hyerin put all of their stuff from their college dorm. He opened a few boxes and found his notebook on the fourth box. Sehun was about to close it when a smaller box inside caught his eyes. He took it out and examined it. It's just a plain brown square box with "L.H." written on top. Out of curiosity, Sehun opened it and felt a slight pain in his heart. Inside are pictures and letters... And a silver bracelet with an infinity symbol lock that Sehun has seen Hyerin wearing before they started dating.

 

That night, Hyerin cried in Sehun’s arms. They lay in bed without uttering a word. Only Hyerin's sobbing can be heard. Sehun ran his hand on Hyerin's hair. It pains him to see his wife like this.

"Go see him..." Sehun muttered.

Hyerin wiped her eyes and looked up at Sehun. The latter cupped Hyerin's face and caressed her cheek with his thumb.

"Sehun..."

"I was hoping this day would never come" Sehun said.

He got up and went to his study table and peeled a page off one of his notebooks. He sat beside Hyerin and sighed before handing her the piece of paper.

It's an address.

Hyerin looked at Sehun with inquiring eyes.

Sehun looked down and smiled sadly. "I got it from Baekhyun before graduation... I don't know if that's still it. It's the address of Chanyeol’s parents."

Hyerin's eyes widened as she stares at the paper in her hand and the very familiar address written in black ink. She looked up at Sehun and searched his eyes. Sehun just gave her a soft and caring smile.

Still, Hyerin can’t bring herself to meet him again. Every single day, she would stare at the piece of paper and think of the possibilities if she go to her first love’s supposed address. Has Chanyeol moved on? Is he already married? Will he hug her? Does he miss her? Does he even think about her? Will he kick her out? A lot of questions are lingering in Hyerin’s mind. She’s scared. What if her feelings for Chanyeol didn’t really come back? or what if she never even stopped loving him?

 

Sehun made extra effort to be a better husband for Hyerin. It’s as if they are back to the first stage of their relationship. One Friday morning while making breakfast for Hyerin, Sehun suddenly heard Hyerin’s weak voice calling his name. He found his wife on the bathroom floor and panic struck him. Sehun lifted up Hyerin and carried her to his car, rushing her to the hospital.

“Are you Mr. Oh?” a doctor approached Sehun who has been waiting outside the emergency room. “Yes I am. How’s my wife? What happened to her? Is she okay?”

“Mrs. Oh had a heart attack. We looked at her medical history and it seems like your wife is suffering from a severe arrhythmia. Her last attack was when she was only 8 years old and according to her files, she already had a surgery before. So we are still looking for the cause of her sudden attack.” Sehun stared at the doctor in front of him, trying to process all the information. Hyerin never told him about her condition.

“Has your wife been under a lot of stress lately? People with this condition needs a lot of rest and should avoid any emotional stress.”

 

With everything that he heard from the doctor, Sehun pulled out his phone and searched his contacts. He needs to find that man. For his wife’s sake “Hello? Baekhyun? Can you help me locate Park Chanyeol?”

Sehun walked back and forth on the hospital’s hallway. Hyerin isn’t getting any better. She hasn’t woken up and she is growing weak every day.
 

“Mr. Oh?” Hyerin’s doctor called and approached Sehun.
“How is she doc?”

The doctor sighed and took his mask off “I’m going to be honest with you Sehun. She is not doing well. She is no longer responding to the medicines we are giving her.”

“Please do everything to save her” Sehun pleaded.

“We are considering a heart transplant, but getting a match will take time. We will do our best to save your wife, Sehun”

 

Sehun sat beside Hyerin’s bed that night. He held her hand in between his and stared at her face. She has lost some weight over the past months. ‘How come I never noticed this’ Sehun thought.

“Baby, please fight this. I’m so sorry for not noticing how much pain you are in.” Sehun chuckled, but his eyes are filled with sadness and regret “After all these years, it’s still Chanyeol, right? It’s always been him” A tear fell on Sehun’s cheeks as he kissed her knuckles “So baby please fight this and wake up. I’m going to bring you back to him, I promise. Please baby…”

Days and weeks passed by. Hyerin still hasn’t recovered. Sehun never left her side. Baekhyun flew back to the city and helped Sehun look after her.

 

“I have a good news for you Chanyeol, we found a match for Hyerin”

For the first time in days, Sehun smiled. Baekhyun is already jumping in joy beside him. He wasn’t able to get in touch with Chanyeol but he already informed his parents about what happened. They were worried about Hyerin’s health and promised to let Chanyeol know about her condition.

Hyerin was scheduled for the operation as soon as possible. It took almost 12 hours to finish but the operation was a success. Sehun and Baekhyun stayed outside the operation room the whole time and never left.

While Sehun wait for Hyerin to regain consciousness, he decided to give his loving wife what he shouldn’t have taken away from her from the start. He booked a flight for the two of them to see Chanyeol. It pains him to think about it, but he knows deep inside that it’s the right thing to do. He needs to take her to see Chanyeol as soon as she gets better.

And so, after months of recovering, Sehun and Hyerin flew out to see him.

For the whole duration of their flight, Hyerin couldn’t sit still. She couldn’t point out how she’s feeling. Excitement mixed with worry and fear. Her mind kept on taking her on a blissful trip to the past which makes her heart ram against her ribcage and ice blow against the back of her neck, sending a tingling feeling throughout her whole body. Yet whenever all the bitter memories would flash her thoughts, she would feel her heart sting and her whole being fill up with regret.

The couple stood outside Chanyeol’s door. Sehun having second thoughts on whether he is doing the right thing. But he shook off that thought and knocked on his wife’s ex’s residence. They waited for a few seconds before an old female version of Chanyeol answered the door. The lady looked confused at first, but when her eyes landed on Hyerin, her lips curled up in a smile

“Hyerin, my dear…” she muttered and opened her arms, welcoming the petite girl for an embrace.

Hyerin froze for a moment before snapping back into reality and hugging back Chanyeol’s mother. She instantly recognized her the moment she opened the door. She has developed some wrinkles on the corner of her eyes and she probably lost a few pounds, but she looks exactly like how Hyerin remembered her.

“Come inside” Mrs. Park opened the door wider for the couple.

“Oh, no ma’am, I can stay out here. You guys go ahead” Sehun said

“Don’t be shy dear. You are welcome in our home” Mrs. Park gave Sehun a soft smile. Sehun hesitated for a while then went in. He felt like he shouldn’t be there.

 

Mr. Park was sitting at the living room and he also welcomed Hyerin with a hug. “You’re still as beautiful as ever, Hyerin-ah” Mr. Park said, examining Hyerin’s face.

The old couple were quiet for a while, just looking at Hyerin with a regretful smile. This is the girl their son loved. The girl who would have been their daughter, if things ended up differently.

“Please have a seat, I’ll go and get Chanyeol” Mrs. Park said.

Mr. Park, Sehun, and Hyerin sat on the old wine red couch in the middle of the spacious living room. Hyerin looked at every corner of the room. Everything is the same as how she remembers it. The very couch she is sitting on is where Chanyeol and her would hang out and drink Mrs. Park’ famous hot chocolate.

 

“Let me go Chanyeol!” Hyerin shouted. Chanyeol had her trapped in between his legs, her arms pinned above her head.

“Make me” Chanyeol challenged while grinning from ear to ear. The two of them are having a playful wrestling fight on the wine red couch in the middle of the spacious living room. It was, of course, started by Chanyeol and Hyerin doesn’t have any choice but to be involved. It was a cold December night and Hyerin is spending the Holiday with Chanyeol’s family.

Hyerin tried to wriggle Chanyeol off of her one last time before resorting to the best solution she could think of “MRS. PARK!” She shouted on top of her lungs. Chanyeol quickly covered and hushed her.

Mrs. Park appeared from the kitchen with a spatula in one hand. Her eyes widened at the sight of Chanyeol on top of Hyerin but it quickly turned into crescent as she shook her head and smiled. “Oh you two… you’re about to become college students yet you still act like kids. Chanyeol, get off of Hyerin and call your father. Dinner is about to be served”

“I’ll help you set up the table!” Hyerin said and pushed Chanyeol off of her with all of her strength. Chanyeol fell on the floor and Hyerin dashed to Mrs. Park and hid behind her before he could even grab her.

Hyerin stuck her tongue out at her boyfriend and followed Chanyeol’s mother to the kitchen.

Chanyeol smiled as she turned her back at him. He shook his head and stood up to call his Dad. All the while thinking how it is possible to fall in love with that girl more and more.

 

Her eyes landed on a very familiar guitar hanging on the wall in the corner of the room. A small smile appeared on her face as memories after memories flashed in her head. She knows that guitar too well. She could still hear the sound of Chanyeol’s voice clearly in her head.

A few moments later, Mrs. Park came back in the living room. And all the pain that Hyerin has been trying to mask all these years came pouring out. She felt her knees tremble as she tried to stand up. dried up and she felt herself suffocating as she reached out, her fingers badly shaking, to touch the shiny marble Mrs. Park is holding where Chanyeol’s name is engraved. Hyerin fell on the floor as her eyes fill up with tears past due. All the color and blood seem to have drained out of her life.

A few minutes ago, she walked through the front door carrying a hopeful heart. But reality broke her into pieces. It wounded her badly as she came to her senses

“It’s been two years…” Mr. Park said. They all gave Hyerin some time to recover before going into details of what happened. Chanyeol’s mother silently cried beside her husband, the marble urn with Chanyeol’s ashes sat on her lap.

“He found out that you’re getting married and insisted on going back. He wanted to see you one last time” he continued.

“We didn’t want him to go but he insisted” Mr. Park squeezed his wife’s hand “He had an accident on his way back…”

Hyerin closed her eyes and cried even more. She felt anger and remorse knowing how much agony Chanyeol must have been through watching her say her vow for another man. And the rage she felt just flared even more when Chanyeol’s father continued.

It was his heart. He made sure that when the time comes, he would be able to save her. He hoped that it wouldn’t come to that point, but he made sure.

 

Hyerin knew that she’ll never be able to recover from the pain. What happened will forever be a regret that is carved in her soul. She wouldn’t be able to turn back time and bring Chanyeol back, although she wished she could. She wished she was there on those days when Chanyeol was fighting for his life. She wished she was there during his last moments, before they turned off the machines that kept him alive so that she can have a chance to live. She wished she could have been worthy of his love and make sense of how, despite breaking his heart, he can still love her that much.

 

She took a deep breath and looked up at the orange leaves falling as the wind blows. She sat with her back against the willow tree as she listens to the birds chirping and watched the calm water. Hyerin looked down and played with the infinity bracelet on her wrist. With a heave of her shoulder, she closed her eyes and let the serenity of their haven temporarily take her pain away.

 

"Is this for me?" Hyerin asked and examined the simple yet beautiful infinity bracelet her boyfriend pulled out from his pocket. Chanyeol nodded and he was about to wear the other one. But Hyerin stopped him and took his wrist "Let me do it". She took Chanyeol's hand and put the bracelet around his wrist while saying

"I, Shin Hyerin, choose you, Park Chanyeol, to spend the rest of my life with. I promise you my deepest love and fullest devotion. I’ll always be here to laugh at your corny jokes and tell you that everything will be okay when things don’t seem right. You make me forget the negative side of living and shower me with all the best things. I’ve been told that being with you was a mistake, but you prove to me every single day why being with you is the best decision I have ever made. Most importantly, you are the love of my life and you make me happier than I could ever imagine. I vow to love you for the rest of my existence."

Chanyeol looked at his girlfriend with over flowing love and admiration. He has never seen anything so beautiful. For him, she has transcended the definition of perfection. He took Hyerin's hand and put the cold silver bracelet around her wrist while looking deep in her eyes and saying

"I, Park Chanyeol, now surrender myself to you, Shin Hyerin, from this day till I breathe my last breath. Between a thousand yesterdays and millions of tomorrow, I vow to love you, to cherish you, and show you every single day how thankful I am for having you in my life. You are the greatest challenge I’ve ever faced. You may be stubborn, demanding, childish, annoying, dramatic.., but I fell in love with you and I’m willing to accept everything that comes with it. I'm just an ordinary guy... I know I can't give you anything... but whatever I have, it's all yours. I vow to never stop loving you, Shin Hyerin, as long as my heart is still beating"

 

Hyerin placed her hand on her chest, feeling a very familiar heartbeat. His love will forever be her biggest blessing. Chanyeol isn't just Hyerin's soulmate. No, he is so much more than that.