Unexpected Valentine

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Fluff

Summary: Yujin takes Minju out for Valentine's Day to cheer her up after her original plans with someone else fell through. As Yujin tries her best to make her happy and succeeds after only a few attempts, Minju realized she would rather have Yujin as her date than anyone else.

Word Count: 5865

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_UnexpectedValentine

 

Unexpected Valentine

 

February 14. It is Valentine's Day— it celebrates romantic love, making it a day for couples and families to spend together. And for Minjoo, it is indeed special. She was invited by her long-time crush since her first year of college, Kim Chaewon, for a date.

 

Minjoo woke up with the sun hitting her face. She slowly opens her eyes as she stands up and makes her bed. The girl faced the mirror, smiling while combing her hair. 

 

"It's gonna be a good day today.” Minjoo thought. 

 

Well, she thought.

 

After doing her morning routine, she walks out of her room with her cellphone on her right hand. The girl smells something— guessing that it was her parents' cooking their usual breakfast. 

 

The two adults stopped doing their usual routine in the kitchen when they heard footsteps coming from the stairs. 

 

"Princess, good morning!" Her father smiled at her while giving a kiss on her forehead.

 

"Good morning dad," Minju gave him a small smile and sat on the first chair on the right side of the table. 

 

"What's the occasion?" 

 

"Did you forget?" Her mother gazed at her.

 

"Forget what mom?"

 

"It's Valentine's day today," She helped her mother place the last food that was cooked as it was quite heavy. Minju cursed at herself for not remembering the most special event to her. "Do you have classes to attend?"

 

"No mom, but I have a date." She smiled from ear to ear to the point that her indian dimples were visible. Her mom's smiling face slowly dropped down, "Oh, I see."

 

"Why? Is there something wrong mom?"

 

"We have plans with you today but it seems like you have a plan with someone."

 

Her father held her daughter's hands to cheer her up and said, "Princess, it's okay for us. Enjoy this day with that special one, okay?" She was flattered by her father's statement. 

 

"So, who's that?" Her mother wiggled her eyebrows up and down as a sign of teasing. 

 

Kim Chaewon, one of the topnotchers at Seoul University. She is Minjoo’s senior, a senior who helped Minjoo get through her first two years inside the university.

 

It all started when...

 

———

 

It’s her first day at the Seoul University and Minjoo gasped at how many students were being dropped off at the entrance. It felt surreal; she didn’t expect it to be this big compared to the picture she usually sees.

 

“Take care baby, okay?” Her mother fixed the collar of her uniform. “Yes mom, I will.” She kissed her mom’s cheeks and waved while walking away. 

 

“Hi!” A short hair girl approached Minjoo with a small smile. “H-hello,” Minjoo bowed down as a sign of respect. “I’m Kim Chaewon, second year.” She introduced herself.

 

“Kim Minjoo, first year.” 

 

“You must be a transferee?” 

 

“Yes sunbaenim, we’ll be toured around the campus later this afternoon.” She replied, giving the biggest smile she can give to her new friend. 

 

Chaewon chuckled. “No need to call me sunbaenim, just call me Chaewon.”

 

“O-okay… Chaewon.”

 

Their little conversation was cutted off with a student running onto Chaewon’s shoulder. “Nako what’s the matter?”

 

“The student council needs you now, unnie.” She gave the short hair girl a piece of paper.

 

“Minju, I need to go. Do you mind if you go to your respective class by yourself?”

 

“No it’s fine. I can manage.” She held the straps of her backpack tightly. “Okay, thank you Minjoo-ssi! I’ll make it up to you later~” She shouted as she ran away with Nako.

 

Maybe she had the best morning ever.

 

//

 

After that day, Chaewon and Minju became close; 

they started to share each other’s thoughts, eat lunch together and study in each other’s dorm.

 

Lunch break is next after her third class and Minju decides to wait in front of Chaewon’s classroom before heading to their eating area.

 

“Chaewon-ah,” Her face gleamed up when she saw her walk out of the class. “Hi Minju-ssi~”

 

“What’s with the happy face huh?” Minju asked. “I got an A+ on our exam!” She exclaimed with a matching hug to Minju.

 

Minjoo was startled, her heart was throbbing and her surroundings were like in slow motion.

 

*Dug* *Dug* 

 

*Dug* *Dug*

 

“H-hey, are you okay?” She went back to reality when she saw Chaewon waving her hands in front of her.

 

“Y-yeah.”

 

“Really? You’re blushing~” Chaewon teased, making Minju’s eyes widen as big as a monkey’s eyes.

 

“No I'm not! I mean… it’s hot… that’s all.”

 

“If you say so,” She suddenly wrapped her arms around Minju’s shoulders, causing the girl to widen her eyes again.

 

“What am I feeling…”

 

//

 

One year has passed, and some things have changed between them. Both of them got busy because of their studies, given that they have different courses— Chaewon’s taking journalism while Minjoo is taking fine arts.




 

It’s Minjoo’s lunch break, and today Yuri, her best friend from the same course, has to accompany her. 

 

With Minjoo spacing out, she didn’t notice that Yuri was already beside her, tapping her shoulders. 

 

“Minjoo?”

 

“O-oh Yuri,” Minjoo jolted up and grabbed her backpack and some of her books.

 

“You okay?” Yuri asked.

 

“Yeah, just thinking of something.”

 

“Something? Or someone?” Yuri smirked as she nudged the taller girl as a form of joke.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You have a crush on the student council’s vice president, am I right?”

 

“Y-yeah… I mean no!”

 

“Oho~ Kim Minju has a crush on—“

 

“Stop! Someone might hear us,” She then shutted Yuri’s mouth by covering it using her hands. “Okay, okay, fine. But how?”

 

“She’s attractive, smart, kind to other people.” Minju said. “... That’s it?”

 

“Why? Should I tell everything? It’ll be hard for me to tell it in detail, Yuri-yah.” She said, hearing a contagious laugh from her best friend. 

 

“Tch. I never expect you to be this whipped.”

 

“Who’s whipped?” Chaewon’s voice echoed in the hallway while the two girls turned around.

 

“O-oh Chaewon!”

 

“Hi, Miss Vice President.” Yuri greeted her. “Just call me by my first name, that nickname makes me suffocate.” Chaewon smiled, while Minjoo felt butterflies in her stomach.

 

“Oh God, she’s so cute.” She whispered.

 

“Are you going to eat lunch?” 

 

Yuri looked at Minju with teasing eyes as she spoke, “I forgot Yena and I supposed to have lunch together. Maybe you can accompany her since you’re here already?”

 

“Yeah sure. Besides…”

 

A peach-like girl walked towards Chaewon, wrapping around her arms around the Vice President’s. “This is Hitomi.”

 

“My…”

 

“Girlfriend.”

 

The news shocked Minjoo making her ightened the grip to the straps of her backpack.

 

“I-i’m Kim Minju, Chaewon’s friend.” 

 

She introduced herself, while offering a handshake to the other.

 

“Honda Hitomi, her girlfriend.”




 

After that, she ignored all the infatuation that she developed for Chaewon…



 

Because Chaewon will never look the way Minjoo wants her to.


 

———


 

“So your date is that Chaewon girl huh,” Her father which made Minjoo pout. “Dad, she’s just a friend, nothing more, nothing less.”

 

“Of course, I will always remain as a friend to her eyes.”

 

The first meal of the day went well; had some talk with her parents about school, her social life and friends. 

 

After finishing all that stuff, she went to the sink and washed the dishes. “Baby Min, let me do the dishes.” The old man called her with her nickname.

 

“But–“

 

“I insist. And you need to prepare yourself for your date right?” Her father once again laughed. “Dad, it’s just a friendly date!” Minju reacted, hiding her red cheeks.

 

“Sure, sure, whatever floats your boat.” He said. 

 

The college student walked upstairs with a smile on her face. She then opened her closet, looking for the clothes she’ll wear for today.

 

She picked out her sweater with black and white stripes on it, pairing it with gray shorts. Minjoo then got some undergarments and walked to her bedroom’s washroom.

 

While taking a bath, thoughts have been filling Minju’s mind; Why did Chaewon choose her as her date and not Hitomi? It could’ve been a chance for the two to date, but no, Chaewon chose Minju over her girlfriend.

 

Out of all people, why her?

 

Shrugging all of those thoughts, she walked outside and started wrapping her hair with her towel. While dressing up and putting on some light make up on her face, she chose to play some upbeat songs.

 

After a while, Chaewon’s name popped out of Minju’s notification with a message that says:

 

Minju!! I’m sorry I have to cancel our date today, Hitomi said she needs me today because of something urgent and I need to be there.

 

Enthusiasm from the brunette was gone, but she smiled, still, as if she was talking to someone personally.

 

“I’m just a friend, after all.”

 

She replied:

 

Hi Chaewon-ah~ it’s fine to me! Prioritize your girlfriend first okay? Our friendly date can still wait XD.

 

She’s over with Chaewon, but that’s what she said.

 

Within a minute, the short hair girl quickly replied.

 

Thank you so much Min!! I promise to make it up to you :(

 

Minju simply replied like emoji plus a simple “You’re welcome” message.

 

“I guess it’s not my day today…”

 

Disappointment was very visible from the long hair girl’s face as she was fixing the scattered make-up accessories she used a while ago.

 

“Ugh, why did I even expect..”

 

She sat at her swivel chair and stared at her artworks that were hung on the wall. She glanced at it one by one, until one caught her eyes.


 

Their hand paint art. Minju initiated to do this kind of stuff, for remembrance. 


 

“Yujin-ah, I miss you so much…” 


 

They’ve been bestfriends since their toddler days; she witnessed Yujin grow, her first crushes, puppy love, and do what usual things that a girl like Yujin would do.

 

Yujin also promised to have her bestfriend’s back and never leave her side. But promises are meant to be broken.

 

———

 

“Yujin-ah, are you really leaving?” The fifteen-year-old Minju sniffed her runny nose as she continued to wipe the non-stop tears. “I need to unnie, we’ll be going back to Daejeon.”

 

“Promise me you’ll always call me.” Yujin chuckled and hugged the smaller girl tightly as she could. “Of course I will unnie!”

 

“Daeng, let’s go?” Yujin’s mother softly smiled and rubbed circles on Minju’s back as she comfort her. 

 

“Unnie, we really have to go. Take care okay?” 

 

“I will.” 

 

Before they leave, Yujin’s mom hugged Minju tightly and whispered something.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll try to come back for Yujin.”

 

 

Though Yujin left the city, they still keep in touch with each other. Minju would call Yujin during her vacant time, and so is Yujin. 

 

“Yujin-ah!!” Yujin placed her phone on her palm while she writes. “Oh hello unnie~”

 

“Are you busy?”

 

“Yes, but i’m about to finish.” She smiled after placing a period on the last sentence and closed her notebook. 

 

“How’s my Yujinnie?”

 

“Oh your Yujinnie? Am I yours now?” She teased.

 

“What? I-i mean my friend!”

 

Minjoo covered her face using the thick blanket due to the red flush cheeks she currently have.

 

“Aye~ don’t cover your face unnie. It’s been awhile since i’ve seen your beautiful face.” 

 

“Yah!”

 

“Okay okay I’ll stop.”

 

Minju cleared and sat up straight. “So..”

 

“How’s your day?”

 

“Fine.” Yujin shortly said.

 

“What’s with the bored tone?” She stood up and grabbed something out of the frame.

 

“Nothing…”

 

“I just miss my bestfriend. I miss you~” The younger sulked and just received a chuckle from the older. “You can’t miss me always, Yuj. You need to learn how to be independent.”

 

“I AM independent, unnie. Have you seen me cry once?”

 

“Yeah, you even called me that night saying, “Unnie, Wonyoung rejected me.”” Minju imitated Yujin’s crying voice before laughing again.

 

Yujin sighed in defeat. “Okay, you always win.”

 

Hours have passed and the two are still talking. Yujin yawns away from her cell phone not knowing the girl from the other line can still hear her soft yet audible voice.

 

“Yujin-ah, you should sleep… you still have classes tomorrow.”

 

“I don’t want, once I drop this call I don’t know when will be the next time I can speak with you.” 

 

“I will be painting something Jinnie, you should sleep.”

 

“But I don’t want to~” She pouted.

 

“How about… I sing you a lullaby?” Her face suddenly gleamed up and quickly changed her clothes to her Pajamas– it was color blue with white polka dots on it.

 

She lay her phone down beside her and wrapped the thick blanket around her. “Okay unnie, I’m ready!”

 

“Okay~ wait a minute,” She heard some guitar strumming and started singing.

 

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

 

You make me happy when skies are gray,

 

You never know dear how much I like you~

 

Please don’t take my sunshine away…”


 

With just a couple of minutes, Minju leaned on her phone to only hear Yujin snoring. 

 

“You did well today Yudaeng, goodnight.”

 

———

 

The artist snapped out o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter