The Language of Flowers

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Romance, Slice of Life, Suspense, Thriller, Tragedy, Psychological

Summary: How would you even express your love when being too happy makes you lose control and so does being sad, do you even have the rights to fall in love? Wait... are you thinking that this is a love story? Sorry to burst your bubble, because it's not.

Word Count: 11041

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_LanguageOfFlowers

 

The Language of Flowers

 

*CHILDHOOD* 

Two kids are currently at a flower garden, the flower garden has a playground and an old gothic fountain that is covered with moss. The 7-year-old kid wearing a white dress with her hair tied to a braid named Kim Minju, while the 5-year-old girl named An Yujin is running around the garden, picking flowers for her friend. 

 

Yujin gave Minju 2 flowers. An oak-leaved Geranium and a dwarf Sunflower. The latter was shocked with the pretty flowers that the younger one gave her, she gladly accepted it. 

 

“What is this for?” 

 

“Geranium means True friendship and dwarf Sunflower because I adore you,” the younger explained. 

 

“So... what are you trying to imply?” 

 

“Thank you for playing with me Minju eonni,” the latter smiled as the older kid blushed like a tomato. 

 

“My plea—,” Minju was shocked she suddenly saw Yujin jumping around while laughing hysterically, jumping her way to the vines full of thorns she is acting oddly, her gazes are look like she was in anesthesia or crack, everything she sees are purely made from her head. 

 

Minju was frightened by the sight because Yujin is suddenly acting like a mental hospital patient who escaped the institution, she tried to catch Yujin as she screamed for help from Yujin’s parents. 

 

 

“The cause of your daughter’s sudden sanity is because of the unbalanced production of Dopamine on her brain and it’s a rare condition called Interadfectus Syndrome.” 

 

“Inter what? Please explain doctor,” the father asked as Yujin’s mother embraced her young innocent daughter. 

 

“It means whenever she feels too much happiness, it will cause her to lose sanity and if she feels too much sadness, it can cause her to lose her ability to think she’ll be so sad and isolate herself.” 

 

“So please always warn her to control her emotions, okay? There are some ways where she can regulate her emotions by writing... drawing and stuffs,” the doctor suggested as the parents took note of it 

 

“I will also prescribe medications just in case it kicks in,” the doctor said as he started writing the prescriptions while the younger kid is just clueless about what’s going on. 

 

 

*PRETEENS* 

The two girls are now in their preteens, Yujin is now 10 and in 4th grade. While Minju is now 12 and in 6th grade, they’re on their way home, walking on the street, holding each other’s hands. 

 

They were walking when the younger stopped and opened her bag on the side of the road, looking for something. “What are you doing An Yujin? Are you having your attacks again? Tell me please,” Minju said while panicking. 

 

Yujin just chuckled and handed a Carnation flower for Minju and smiled, “Eonni, for you.” 

 

“For what?” 

 

“Read my note,” Minju just shrugged and unfolded the paper, reading her note. 

 

“Hi Minmin eonni, 

 

Carnations symbolizes being a woman, congratulation on being a woman because you have blood on your ! 

 

Mama said that if you have blood on your , it means you're now a lady, congratulations again! 

 

-Jinnie” 

 

Minju immediately checked her skirt and saw a stain of blood on her skirt, she glared at Yujin as the younger had a clueless look. 

 

“Since when did I have this stain on my skirt?” Minju asked with a hint of panic in her tone. 

 

“Uhm… since lunchtime?”  

 

“I have had a stain on my skirt since lunch and you just told me now? You embarrassed me An Yujin,” Minju whined as Yujin looked down sniffing. 

 

As much as possible, she doesn't want to make Yujin upset because it can also trigger her attacks. 

 

“It's not that I didn't want you to know, I can't tell you because it's too funny,” Yujin said with her sobbing voice while wiping her tears with her arms. 

 

Minju brought out her handkerchief and wiped Yujin's tears while hugging her. 

 

“Don't cry now, it's bad for you, I am not mad Jinnie, okay?” 

 

“No! You're just lying just to make me feel better,” Yujin pushed Minju as she ran away. 

 

Yep, that happens to her every time she gets upset, she wants to be alone and cry until she gets better. 

 

Minju chased Yujin, she caught her by hugging her. 

 

“I'm really sorry Jinnie, I am not mad, okay? Let's just go home Jinnie… my mom made some tteokbokki,” Yujin just nodded as she held Minju's hand and went home together. 

 

 

*TEENAGE* 

Years passed and now they’re in their high school, Yujin is a 10th grader and today is Minju’s graduation in high school and they are currently eating at a Chinese restaurant to celebrate her graduation.  

 

“Thank you for coming with me eonni,” Yujin said as she took a bite of her black bean noodles while staring at the pretty girl in front of her. She has to admit that she’s falling in love with her best friend but Minju but she knows, Minju likes someone else and it’s not her. 

 

But she wants to confess her feelings, she just wants her to know what she felt for almost 6 years. How would someone hide their feelings for 6 years? She tried to confess but she ended up having her attacks. Confessing love is a bit tricky for Yujin, how can she confess without having her attacks? 

 

She decided to confess using her usual bouquet of flowers including red Roses, Gardenia, red Tulips and a red Chrysanthemum, all flowers symbolize love that she wants the latter to know. 

 

She also brought her a letter, but not the usual letters we know. 

 

“Thank you for bringing me here,” Minju flashed a smile as Yujin looked down. 

 

“Is there something wrong? Jinnie ya?” 

 

“Nothing eonni, I just want to give you these,” Yujin said as she handed the flowers with a note. 

 

“Playlist for You: 

I love you 3000 by Stephanie Poetri (0:10-0:22) 

[I love you 3000, Baby, take a chance, 'Cause I want this to be something, straight out of a Hollywood movie] 

 

La vie en Rose by Daniela Andrade (0:42-0:52) 

[And when you speak angels sing from above, Everyday words seem to turn into love songs] 

 

Ooh Ahh 하게 by TWICE (0:40-0:52) 

[I'm waiting for someone who can make me feel, something like never before 

(That's who I'm waiting for) 

I'll wait no matter how long it takes, I just wanna fall in love] 

 

Valentine’s Day by LANY (1:24-1:31) 

[There's not a day, where the thought of you doesn't wake up with me] 

 

Every day I love you by LOONA (0:29-0:40) 

[I’m slowly going by your side, I’m so nervous, though I like you so much,  

Now I wanna hold you] 

 

You are my sunshine by Moira Dela Torre (0:55-2:00) 

[I'll always love you and make you happy, and nothing else could come between, but if you leave me to love another, you’ll have shattered all of my dreams] 

 

 

Officially Missing You by Tamia (1:47-2:09)

[Well, I wish that you would call me right now, so that I could get through to you somehow, but I guess 

 It’s safe to say, baby, safe to say that I'm officially missin' you] 

 

Uptown Girl by Westlife (0:58-1:02)

[I'm in love with an uptown girl] 

 

[A/N. The lyrics were not included in the letter] 

 

Minju gave the younger a puzzled look as the younger gave her a hoping look that she understands what she wants to convey. 

 

“What's with the playlist?” Minju asked, Yujin heaved a sigh. 

 

“There's a letter on the back of that card, see it for yourself.” 

 

Minju flipped the card to the back and saw an envelope attached to it, she took off the letter and read it. 

 

"My Dearest Minmin eonni, 

 

Having this condition is just godd*mn annoying, there are things that I want to say to you without having my attacks, but I cannot say a compliment without freaking out or having my attacks, how I wish I can say the things that make you special with my voice but everyone knows I can’t. But all I can do is grab a pen and a sheet of paper and write about what I feel, I am writing this letter to say the things I’ve been wanting to say to you. 

 

I really wanted to say that you’re really pretty, your sense of humor is so pretty and everything you do is so pretty. Even with your funny face and trips, I find it funny but I’m sorry that I can show that I’m having fun but I swear, I am having fun with you by my side and I love it when you’re here. 

 

Regarding the playlist, it’s not just a regular playlist I always send you. Haven’t you noticed? Check the first letter of the songs I gave you...” 

 

Minju looked at the playlist and she was shocked to see the word ‘I LOVE YOU’. Now she knows why Yujin gets shy whenever she's around, Minju's happy that her crush likes her too. 

 

She looks at Yujin and she's looking down, the enthusiastic An Yujin is upset, maybe she thinks she's rejected even though she's not.  

 

Minju sighed before doing her boldest moves, if it's a painting it's her thickest . 

 

“An Yujin, eyes on me please,” Minju asked while moving her chair closer to Yujin's as the latter obeyed, staring at the older with her captivating eyes, without hesitation Minju pulled the younger by the chin and slammed her luscious lips on the other that caused a fiasco on the production of dopamine on Yujin’s head. 

 

Minju pulled out, staring at the latter while Yujin was blushing hard like a tomato while staring at Minju, “what does that mean?” 

 

“It means I love you too, An Yujin.” 

 

“Do you want to be... my girlfriend?” 

 

“Yes, I would like to be your girlfriend.” 

 

“I like you so much Kim Minju, I tried to confess personally but I’m scared that I’ll freak out and be a burden to you, I’m sorry there are things that I can say to you with my own mouth. I love you Minju eonni, I hope you feel. 

 

-Jinnie” 

 

     

 

*PRESENT* 

 

The TV is on and no one seems to be watching, pictures of the couple hanged on the wall and succulents displayed on their front window facing the sunlight, the house looks like the typical houses in an American movie, it is a two-story house they bought in order for them to settle once they get married. 

 

The sound of sizzles and the aroma of the food that Minju is currently cooking is escalating around the house while two Labrador puppies chase each other but the other one is Yujin, trying to catch their dog for him to eat his dog food. 

 

“Jinnie, have you fed Daengie?” Minju asked from the kitchen, currently cooking some pork belly and kimchi stew for their lunch, Yujin craved for it and she cooked it for the both of them. 

 

“Yes, I’m feeding him already~” Yujin as she went to the kitchen and gave her a back hug. 

 

Years passed, they finished college and they have their own work. Yujin is working as an elementary school teacher while Minju is also an elementary school teacher. They work in the same school, and they also live in an apartment with their dog. They’re saving up money and years later, they will get married. 

 

Minju let go of the spatula she’s currently holding, placing it on a plate as she gave her girlfriend a peck on the lips and a hug, just the way she likes it. This is how their domestic life revolves, cuddles, watch TV, do their lesson plans, play with their dog and play some games. They haven’t eaten home-cooked meals since a week ago due to their busy schedules at school. 

 

They’ve been together for 6 years and living together was their best option, they have the same work and instead of 8staying in the boarding house, they got a two-story house just for the two of them and they got a dog named Daengie. 

 

Yujin went back to the couch and continued to work on her laptop, with papers all over the coffee table, she’s currently making the test questionnaires for her English and Korean subject, waiting for the food to be served. 

 

“Yujin ah~ lunch is ready,” Minju said while placing the casseroles on the dining table, going next to Yujin as she gave her a hug from beneath, kissing her cheek while taking a peek in her work on the latter's laptop. 

 

“Isn't the test too difficult for them? Have mercy on the kids, Jinnie-ya,” Minju chuckled. 

 

“They're too smart, I should give them something difficult,” Yujin said while typing on her laptop. 

 

“Let's eat first,” Minju said as she closed Yujin's laptop, going to the dining table. 

 

Yujin immediately obeyed as she went to the dining table, fascinated by the food prepared on the table. When they were in college, Minju always burned her pancakes and eggs but now her skills have improved already and Minju’s home-cooked meals are the best for her. 

 

Yujin took her chopsticks, holding it oddly and giving it a taste. As always... It's always the best Kimchi stew and samgyupsal, everything cooked by girlfriend is the best while the older is anticipating the younger’s feedback on her cooking, she’s not that confident with her skills and she’s hoping Yujin likes it. 

 

“How is it, Jinnie?” Minju asked timidly as the younger stared at her, as if something is wrong with her cooking but Yujin gave her a sweet smile with a grain of rice below her lips that made it comical and cute at the same time. 

 

“It’s the best Minmin, I love it so much~” Yujin said while chewing on the food. 

 

The room is filled with the sound of their chopsticks thumping the glass bowls and the sound of Daengie’s barks and thrashing, the couple’s audible chitchats are also surrounding the room, and they’re talking about stuffs in their workplace since they could never got the chance to talk a lot due to the excessive workloads. Their routine for the past 2 weeks were basically waking up, taking a shower, eating breakfast on their way to the school, teach on their classes, take responsibility on the petty elementary school fights from their respective homerooms, eat lunch on different times, back to work, do extra works, go home and do more works. 

 

“Oh yeah that Park Gowon is a brat, I confiscated her phone but she kept flexing the iPhone to everyone in the class, pfft... her silly crown headband and the pink wand she always holds,” Minju chuckled, remembering that particular brat kid from her class. 

 

“And that Yeojin kid! She turned our classroom to a safari, she brought frogs, ants, hamsters, rats and cockroaches and everyone was scared but she threw a tantrum when I confiscated it... Jesus Christ I’m literally internally panicking while setting those free, I’m scared bruh,” Yujin said as she took a sip of her water, but choked while cracking up due to the event. 

 

They enjoyed their lunch as they cleaned the dishes together afterwards, but Yujin went back to her work and Minju started to clean the dust on the shelves. 

 

Minju was cleaning Yujin's shelves when a folder fell off after she took out the books, it seems that it was something Yujin's hiding, and she checked if Yujin was distracted as she took a look at the file. 

 

 

‘LIPPINGTON INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL JOB APPLICATION: AN YUJIN' 

 

Lippington International School is an international based in Ontario, Canada and Yujin always wanted to work in that school but Minju doesn't want to due to the fact that they will be separated. 

 

Minju looked through the folder and saw Yujin's requirements, all complete. The application form is also filled up, as well as her Curriculum Vitae, there are also calling cards of people who can help Yujin go to Canada that enraged the older more.  

 

Minju never had an idea about the younger's plan, a pang of betrayal and abandonment entered her mind that caused her to just explode. She doesn't get mad easily but Yujin makes a decision by herself, without consulting her and Yujin is going to leave her alone. 

 

Minju rushed to the living room, raging, as she threw the folder on Yujin’s face... glaring. Yujin was shocked, she checked the folder and saw her hidden files as she looked at the older one with an intimidated look. 

 

“What is this, An Yujin? WHAT IS THIS?” Minju’s eyes is filled with anger. 

 

“Where did you get that? I told you not to meddle with my stuff, right?” Yujin fought back 

 

“Well if you hid it somewhere else, I won't find out about it but the problem is it fell from your shelf, .” 

 

“You should've picked it up and brought it back to where it belongs, not snoop on it tss,” Yujin hates it when someone snoops on her stuff, she has a plan to tell Minju about it tonight in their dinner but she found out. 

 

“Do you have plans on telling me about that? And when is that? When you're going to leave? that An Yujin!” Minju said as she kicked the couch that caused the latter to be frightened, Minju has a very bad temper so Yujin can't open up such things to the older. 

 

“I'm scared because I knew your reaction would end up like that and of course I do have a plan on telling you about that, you're still my girlfriend! Jeez,” Yujin compiled her stuff and was going to go up when Minju took her wrist and threw her things at the couch. 

 

“Don't you ing leave when I'm talking to you, you're not a little kid anymore, let's talk about this,” Minju pushed Yujin to the stairs violently, her temper is very bad and she forgets what she's doing and it doesn't matter if she hurts someone or not. 

 

Yujin winced in pain while rubbing her back, looking from side to side but Minju grabbed her from the chin and made the younger look at her but she let go of it. 

 

“Don't give me that look, An Yujin. You think I'll give in? Not anymore, stop guilt tripping me and grow up,” Minju rolled her eyes but seeing Yujin cry just hurts her 10x more. 

 

Minju sighed, as she realized what she has done to the girl she loves, and Yujin is now crying, while hugging herself. 

 

“An Yujin… do you want to leave me? And replace me?” Minju sat beside the latter as Yujin moved away, scared. 

 

“I want to do this for us, okay? I want to save money for us to get married and have an in-vitro fertilization soon so we can have a child that we can call our own,” Yujin said while hugging her knees, the older rolled her eyes and glared at the younger. 

 

“Why would I even replace you? The are you talking about?” 

 

“Stop cursing at me An Yujin.” 

 

“Stop taking away my right to be angry, Kim Minju.” 

 

“Why would you get angry when you’re at fault?” Minju contradicted the latter’s statement 

 

“You made me at fault, Minju. I was going to explain but you let that anger of yours without letting me explain, I have no plans of telling you? Jeez Min, why would I hide it to you? I’m just trying to find the perfect timing because I know you’ll react like this.” 

 

“Just remember that I’m gonna do this for us,” Yujin said. 

 

“Yes, I know this is for us, for our future rather but do you really have to leave? And is it really necessary?”  

 

“I want to live here in Seoul with you, I want to achieve my dreams with you, and you’re earning enough money here, right?” Minju defended. 

 

“There are greater opportunities in Canada, Minmin. We can live there too,” Yujin said. 

 

“You know that I don't want to leave my parents here in Korea and I don't want you to leave, please don't,” Minju pleaded to Yujin but the younger let out a sigh. 

 

“Okay fine, I won’t go okay okay, I’m just considering this opportunity, I won’t go if you don’t want to.” Yujin said. 

 

“Opportunity to what? To find y Canadian girls? And cheat on me again?” 

 

“Seriously, do you really have to bring that sh*t up again? I already told you 100 times that I am not cheating on her, she’s flirting with me and I’m not,” Yujin defended her mistake years ago. 

 

Minju caught Yujin, with a girl sitting on her lap on the bar. When it’s not really her fault, her friends forced her. 

 

“That attitude of yours never changed, bringing up the past issues that are left in the past back to the present like seriously? It’s already done, I apologized, and do you really have to bring it back? Pure bullsh*t, Kim Minju,” Yujin commented as Minju looked away, but suddenly... Yujin is starting to break eye contact with the latter as her hands tremble. 

 

“But it seems that you’re angry just because I don’t want you to go? Fine you can go, the moment you passed those documents, we’re over,” Minju warned. 

 

“I said it’s already okay right? I won’t go, what’s your problem. I won’t go but you keep making this argument longer, I ain’t going, end of conversation,” Yujin shouted. 

 

“Nahh, you’re just forcing it, if you want to leave, then leave... you ing ,” Minju rolled her eyes. 

 

Yujin started to look away, fiddling her fingers trying to escape the situation. 

 

She’s having an attack, Yujin suddenly got the folder on the floor and got her documents for the Lippington International School and crumpled it in front of Minju 

 

“Is this what you want, Kim Minju?” Yujin tore her application form into pieces as she threw it on Minju’s face like a mass of confetti, and happy fiesta, b*tch. 

 

"You jerk An Yujin!” Minju tried to pull back the younger by the wrist but she swatted it away as she quickly took her stuff as she went to the working area in their house, locking herself inside as she cried while covering her ears. 

 

That happens to her every time they have a serious fight and she didn’t want to tell it to her because she knows she’s gonna overreact to it and get so mad about it, she has plans on telling her about her plan, she won’t go without Minju’s permission and she can’t leave her because she loves the girl so much. 

 

She took her pill, a pill she takes that regulates her dopamine levels. Her condition is like an allergy attack that could easily be relieved by medication but the worst it gets, the more it cannot be relieved by the pills and it could get worse, depending on her Dopamine levels. 

 

 

Minju opened the door in their working area with a spare key, she saw the younger sleeping on the desk while holding the bottle of pills on hand. She went inside, closing the door and embracing the younger while kissing her forehead. 

 

She regrets what she did to Yujin earlier and it’s bad for her mental health, she should fix her temper and make it up to her for the next few days, she’ll make her happy all the time. She understands her with all her sh*ts and failures, she should understand Yujin’s condition as well. 

 

The younger’s eyes opened, fluttering, and making eye contact with the older. Yujin immediately looked away, showing a sign that she’s still upset but Minju pulled her to a hug. 

 

“Baby I’m sorry about what happened earlier, please forgive me...” Minju hugged the younger tighter, as the latter hugged back, letting her tears flow on Minju’s white shirt. 

 

“You hurt me, Minju... it hurts...” the younger cried on her arms as she planted a soft kiss on its forehead, as she held her hands, caressing it with her thumb and giving it a soft kiss. 

 

Minju stared at the latter, eye to eye, and smiled as her tears fell, saying; “I know... I’m sorry, I won’t hurt you anymore.” 

 

“I’ll make it up to you, I won’t hurt you... I will protect you,” Minju said as she gave Yujin a peck on the lips, making the younger blush. The younger gave her a tight hug, and it seems she won’t let go easily, she just wants to embrace the woman of her life. 

 

She has the urge to give her affection, so she won’t feel lonely and prove that she won’t leave her alone. 

 

Yujin carried Minju to their bed and gave her a cuddle, after they fought, they always cuddled. It’s their form of making up with each other, Yujin wrapping her beanpole legs against Minju’s, feeling the sounds of their heartbeats in sync like an orchestra playing a Mozart piece together.  

 

“What do you want to eat, Jinnie?” Minju said while cupping the latter’s cheeks, staring at the cutest puppy in front of her. 

 

“I want tteokbokki... samgyupsal with cheese, chicken and beer as well as cold bean soup noodles, I’m a bit hungry,” Yujin said while chuckling as Minju chuckled as well. 

 

“That’s quite a lot baby but... okay then,” Minju stood up and looked for her flip-flops, “I’m gonna start cooking now and I’ll order the chicken,” Yujin agreed as the older one stood up and went down to their kitchen. 

 

Yujin wore some jeans and shirt and took her wallet with her as she went downstairs to get their puppy, Daengie. 

 

“Daengie daengie~ wanna go out?” Yujin said while putting a leash on the puppy, Minju heard it from the kitchen as she looked at the two, “where are you going, Jinnie and Daengie?” Minju went to them holding a spatula as she hugged Yujin. 

 

“We’re going to buy a gift for you, baby,” Yujin hugged back as she kissed the shorter on the lips, while holding on her tight, as if she doesn’t want to let go of the latter. 

 

“Okay baby, take care of my puppies,” Minju ruffled Yujin’s head and patted Daengie’s head. 

 

“Oh wait, let me get some water first,” Yujin said while getting some ice on the fridge as she put some water on it as she went to Minju who’s cooking, hugging her from beneath. 

“Oh god... Kim Minju... you’re so beautiful,” Yujin faced the older against her as she cupped its cheek with her right hand and her left hand on her waist, pulling her closer as she gave her a sm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter