Chapter Twenty Two

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Donghae and Jessica went to school as usual, but today wasn't a very good day for them. As they walked down the corridor with heavy steps, many people were staring at them and whispering among themselves. However, this time they didn't want to hear those whispers of the students. In the past, many people would gaze at them with admiration and now they were glaring at them.

"Hey look, it's Jessica the drama queen, her style is so sickening," someone said, making her friend nod. "Yeah you're right. I heard about the incident, she just wanted attention," another person said. "She just wanted to make Solar feel bad," a boy said. "I feel bad for Irene, Donghae's her boyfriend," his friend said.

"But Donghae is too much, he already has Irene yet he is always with Jessica and acts like nothing's wrong," an eleventh grader said. Jessica just bowed her head, she could still hear the voices no matter how sneaky they think they are. It seems like they were doing it on purpose so that Jessica could hear them. "Hey you know how close Jessica and Yoona are right? They aren't friends, they are dating," someone added.

"Yeah Yoona is so stupid, she looks like a clown who wants to be played by Jessica," a tenth grader said and laughed. "I used to be supportive of the relationship, but now I want them to break up. Jessica is a snake," a girl said and scoffed at the two of them. "If I was Yoona, I would just break up with Jessica," a girl said, staring at Donghae.

"She's so heartless, she should just die, it's not like anyone would care if she did, we would probably be elated," two twelfth grade boys whispered to themselves. "If I was Jessica I would leave the school as fast as I can, our school doesn't need a spoiled drama queen," another girl said, throwing something in front of Jessica and Donghae. Jessica's steps increasingly became heavier.

The bruises on her knees felt like they were being pricked like a needle. She just wanted to sink in the bottom of a dark sea. Donghae just sighed, he knew that he would be hated by the students, but he accepted it because he knew that being with Jessica meant that he had to take risks. Jessica touched her ears, she realized that she had Airpods in her ears, she didn't want to hear the other student's scorn.

She turned to Donghae who smiled faintly and pressed the button on her iPod and it started playing. The song drifted into Jessica's ears, the music was so emotional that she forgot about the other kids talking about them. Donghae sneakily put the iPod in Jessica's blazer and she replied by mouthing a thank you. Donghae winked with a fine smile, while Jessica momentarily stared at Donghae's back.

It seemed like Donghae was very sad and lonely today. Even though listening to the hate was painful, Donghae didn't care, he just wanted to help Jessica. Before long, Jessica and Donghae arrived in the classroom that seemed very quiet and really crowded. Although Jessica didn't hear anything, she could feel everyone's eyes piercing through her soul. Jessica took out her earphones and walked over to where Solar was sitting.

"Hi Solar," she said. Solar looked away from her cellphone and glared at Jessica. "Oh, have you recovered?" she asked her. Jessica smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine now," she said. "Thank god. That means that you won't join sports ever again," Solar said and hit Jessica's shoulder with her own. Jessica's eyes widened, and she was frozen in front of Solar's bench for a few moments. She tried to adjust her breathing and relax.

"Do you want to pass out again?" Nickhun asked in a sarcastic tone. "She's so dramatic," someone else said. Jessica heard the scorn again. Jessica bravely turned her body to look at her friends. Some of them didn't even bother to look at her and others stared at her skeptically. "Friends, please forgive me for bothering you guys. I was really happy yesterday when we did sports and I really enjoyed it," Jessica said, she was trying to not cry.

"As a sign of gratitude, I won't participate in sports ever again," she said. The students looked at her with a variety of mixed emotions. Most of the girls and boys were glaring at her, only a couple of people were sympathetic. For a while, the classroom was silent, everyone was busy staring at Jessica, while she was trembling with the awkward atmosphere. "Well if you don't want to do sports, just leave! We don't need you here doing speeches," Tzuyu said.

"She's the drama queen, why wouldn't she?" Nickhun said, attracting the attention of the rest of the students. Jessica's head lowered, she wanted to cry but she held it in. Donghae was furious, he was about to speak up but the teacher suddenly arrived. "What's going on?" Xiumin said as he entered the classroom calmly. He heard the commotion happening inside, he already knew who was the center of attention.

Several teachers heard about the incident earlier, but there wasn't much to comment because Jessica's father is a donor.  "Come on, let's sit down," he said. The students reluctantly sat down and Jessica walked back to her seat and stared at her shoes. "Today, I will share the results of yesterday's test," Xiumin said. "Lee Donghae," he called out and Donghae walked up to him. Jessica continued to stare at her shoes, she wasn't listening to Xiumin.

Solar's tone of voice and her words pierced Jessica's heart. Jessica wanted to become invisible and live in her own world. All she wanted was to become normal, but she became a hindrance and burden to the other students. She was troubling so many people and it made Jessica feel terrible. Jessica finally realized that the decision to not tell her classmates anything was right. She didn't want to be another huge burden to the other kids.

-

During break time, Jessica was hesitant standing in front of the library door. Her legs have brought Jessica here without her knowing to the library, her favorite place to spend time with Yoona. Jessica realized that they only have a couple of months left in the school year, and she was doubtful if her presence bothered Yoona. Jessica sighed, she intended to turn around until a voice stopped her. "Why didn't you go in?" someone asked her.

Jessica turned and saw Yoona who was standing next to her. Instead of looking angry, Yoona was smiling at her and gestured for Jessica to go inside before her. With hesitation, Jessica stepped inside with Yoona following behind. Suddenly Jessica stopped, but Yoona walked in front of her. Jessica realized that Yoona's footsteps were different from Donghae's.

Donghae would stop and wait for her but Yoona would walk very quickly and wouldn't wait for anyone. Jessica hoped that Yoona would slow down and walk with her but it didn't happen so Jessica quickly followed her as fast as she could. Yoona stopped in front of the biology section and was looking for a book that she liked, while Jessica was admiring her from the side.

Yoona didn't seem to care about Jessica's presence and Jessica knew that. She became aware that Yoona might be very mad at her. When Yoona sat down on the floor with a book in her hand, Jessica decided to sit next to her. Jessica was gripping her sketchbook tightly, she didn't like this situation. It was too awkward and silent for Jessica to handle.

Should she ask Yoona about the incident on the basketball court or should she ignore the silence and pretend that nothing is wrong? Yoona glanced at Jessica, she somehow read her mind. "Are you alright?" she asked her. Jessica, who was looking at the ground, stared at Yoona with her eyes widened. Jessica thought that Yoona didn't really care and chose to pretend that nothing happened.

However, she was wrong when Yoona suddenly asked her that question. "I-I'm sorry," Jessica said with a little bit of doubt. Yoona immediately shook her head. "I want to hear you're fine Jessica," she said while staring at the sketchbook in Jessica's hands. Jessica looked down, she couldn't speak but she somehow managed to say something.

"

Please log in to read the full chapter