Chapter Nineteen

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

This was one of the weirdest mornings at Korean International School, because many students were excited about what happened on the archery field. Gossip was spreading faster than a wildfire. All the students were talking about Donghae taking Irene home, and others were talking about the sudden closeness of Jessica and Yoona.

Knowing that Jessica and Yoona, the prettiest girls at school were close encouraged some boys to hook up with the both of them. Donghae and Jessica weren't stuck together, so it would be easier for them to get close to them. Instead of being annoyed, Jessica and Donghae enjoyed the moment.

They usually go to the school annoyed and bored, but now they always have a smile etched on their faces, making them look more friendly and approachable. "H-Hello Jessica," a twelfth grade student, whom Jessica had never seen before greeted her as she was about to approach the classroom. Jessica smiled sweetly at the man. "Hello," she replied.

Tyler Kwon felt his knees go limp at once. He had admired Jessica for a long time, but Jessica's aura was like an ice princess and Donghae was always beside her, preventing him from even greeting her with a simple hello. Jessica now entered the classroom with light steps and immediately approached Yoona, the girl was busy reading a book.

"Good morning Yoongie," she said smiling. Yoona looked up and replied to her lover's greeting with a smile. "Good morning Sica," she said, but she frowned the next second. "Why do you always wear that hoodie?" Yoona said, protesting when she saw Jessica wear her old white hoodie. "It's okay, I like wearing it," she answered casually, putting her bag down on the table.

Yoona just sighed, she knew that she couldn't stop Jessica from doing what she wanted to do. "What are you reading?" she asked as she leaned on Yoona's shoulder, carefully. "I'm not telling you," she said as she stuck her tongue out at her. "You're so mean," Jessica grumbled and pouted her lips. Yoona chuckled and closed the book. "Here I'll show you," she said and offered the book to Jessica.

Jessica was annoyed with what she said earlier, but she took the book and read it slowly. "The sea," she said as she opened the book. In the book, there were many intricate illustrations in the book that could captivate anyone, even Jessica. "Do you know why the sea is the source of life?" Yoona asked the girl who was busy staring at the drawings. Jessica looked up, confused. "I don't know," she replied innocently.

"Life begins in the sea, it is the main crossing line that connects the land and the sea. The sea has a lot of natural wealth like fish, minerals, oil, and many more," Yoona explained making Jessica nod. "I want to go swimming," she muttered and looked at Yoona with sparkling eyes. "Yoongie, after we go home, let's go swim," she said. "Can I?" Yoona asked with her raised eyebrows, and Jessica nodded quickly. "Of course you can," she said.

Yoona just grimaced. "I can't swim," she said. "You can read a book on how to do it," Jessica said. Yoona shook her head. "No, I don't like playing in water," she said. Jessica immediately laughed at what she said. "You mean you're scared of drowning," she said. Yoona glared at the girl and she finally stopped but she giggled a little bit. "Don't worry, I'll help you," she said.

"I'll only help you a couple of times, I'll take care of you so you don't sink," Jessica said, making Yoona freeze a little bit. Yoona was busy paying attention to the girl she affectionately calls her girlfriend. Yoona feels ashamed for thinking that Jessica was a fragile girl who couldn't do anything to save her life when she first met her. Now, she is seeing the other side of Jessica, the outstanding strong girl she is. "Okay," she said.

Yoona's answer made Jessica purse her lips. "Okay. After school, I am going to buy tapioca pearls," she said. "No," Yoona replied. "Why? I really want to get some," with her lips in a cute pout. "Silly, you already finished two cups of boba yesterday. It's not good if you drink too much, you know," she said, pulling Jessica's cheeks with exasperation. Jessica didn't feel pain, her heart fluttered because Yoona's pull was so gentle.

"But Yoongie, it tastes so good!" she whined. "It might taste good but if you drink boba, it can disturb the digestive system because it's made from tapioca. Tapioca is sticky, so it's hard to digest, it can damage your digestive system," she said. Jessica immediately scowled after hearing Yoona's words, but she knew that Yoona wanted the best for her so she wouldn't protest. "I'll buy the tea then. I don't need to have boba," she said.

Jessica snatched the book from Yoona with her lips pursed in a funny way. "If you don't want it then don't buy it," Yoona said. Jessica turned to Yoona. "Who said I didn't want it?" she asked her. "You're not talking so I tho...," she said but Jessica cut her off by pulling her cheek. "You are so annoying, aren't you?" she said to her. Yoona could only laugh while enjoying Jessica releasing her frustration on her.

Usually, she would be annoyed with the girl, but now it was the other way around. After they went to the art exhibition, she knew that Jessica was still spoiled, but she was more independent than she thought she was. She would get less annoyed if Yoona ignored her or when she paid no attention towards her. Yoona has been getting used to Jessica, even enjoying her presence a lot.

 

A few meters away, Donghae watched Yoona jokingly explain something to Jessica. Sometimes Jessica's expressions would change from being interested, to annoyed, and then smiling brightly. Donghae knew that Jessica became more alive and more interested in learning. Donghae was grateful to Yoona, because she was changing Jessica for the better. Donghae sighed and stared out the window.

Last night, he was busy thinking in his room. Was his decision right for letting Jessica date Yoona? Was it good for him to date Irene? There was a big risk, because he knew that Yuri would return one day, and it would be very difficult for Yoona or Jessica. He didn't know if Jessica's feelings for the black pearl were gone, they could still be there. Donghae shouldn't think like that, he should be more selfish, and he didn't want to care anymore.

He has spent seventeen years of his life with responsibilities that don't involve love. He admits he likes Jessica, but he had never loved her romantically. The woman who was always in Donghae's mind passed in front of her classroom, making Donghae's heart flutter when he saw her chat with her friend. He was watching her with a protective eye, it became his routine at KIS.

Irene unintentionally catches Donghae's view and he immediately smiles back, however Irene bumped into Taemin who was in front of them. Donghae could only grimace, he was sure Irene was dizzy because Taemin's burly body was as hard as concrete. "Sorry sir," Irene said as she her head while her friend giggled. Feeling silly and stupid, Irene glanced at Donghae who grinned amusedly.

With embarrassment, she pulled her friend's hand and went away from there. Taemin shook his head when Irene and her friend left. He continued and entered Donghae's class, he frowned when he saw all the students chatting among each other. "How long are you going to chat here? Change your clothes quickly!" Taemin said fiercely. The students immediately grabbed their respective sports uniforms and quickly ran to the dressing room and some people went into the restroom.

Taemin doesn't usually come to their class, but it can be seen from his crumpled expression that shows he is in a bad mood, and no one wants to make him furious. Yoona took her sports uniform out of her bag and looked at Jessica. "Don't you exercise?" she asked. Jessica wanted to answer but she glanced at Donghae who was still in the classroom. Donghae shook his head slightly and quickly walked out when Yoona threw a sharp glare at him.

"You still need permission if you want to exercise?" Yoona asked and glanced at Jessica who looked guilty. "Yoona, I..,” Jessica said, but her words stopped in . Yoona smiled and nodded. She trotted out of the classroom without saying anything. For some reason, she was upset. From the beginning, she knew that it won't be easy, but she would find a way to make Jessica rely on her, not Donghae or anyone else.

-

Now the students have finished changing their uniforms and are now walking while jokingly chatting to the field. Donghae, who just entered the class, couldn't find Jessica anywhere. He was surprised to say the least. Donghae looked outside but Jessica wasn't there amongst the crowd of the other students. He realized that Yoona entered the classroom with a ponytail, it seems that she just finished changing her uniform.

Donghae immediately approached her. "Yoona, have you seen Jessica?" he asked. Yoona shook her head and Donghae immediately panicked. He immediately put his uniform on the table and intended to find Jessica but Yoona just stood there, facing him. The girl stared coldly at Donghae. "You are very weird, it doesn't make sense at all," she said. Donghae returned Yoona's gaze in confusion.

"Sorry, but I have to find Jessica right now," he said. "She's seventeen years old, why do you think of her as a baby?" Yoona

Please log in to read the full chapter