Chapter 7

Reality filled in blood

 

Eve froze. It was a beautiful Glock 19. Everybody in the army used Glock 16 or revolvers. All shiny and black and it captured her eyes. She looked at the General who was smiling genuinely to her. She smiled back shyly.

            “Do you like it?”, Sehun asked, impatiently, but Eve was merely speechless.

            “Like it? I love it”, she answered, suddenly feeling awkward. “But I can’t accept it”, she said giving him the box back, without closing it, sneaking a look at it, one last time.

General Oh looked simply disappointed, but he wasn’t the one who’d give up so easily. He puffed and closed the box and handed it to her again. He still got a hold onto it, didn’t let it go just yet. Eve was glaring again, back at her true usual self.

Can’t I just give you a present?”, he asked with puppy eyes.

But if he knew better, Eve wasn’t the one to fall for pleading eyes. She shot him a smile.

No, General! This has a meaning behind it, and I’m not going to meet it, honestly. I’d love if you wouldn’t do this next time.

Captain Kim, I promise! Look, I promise that I won’t ask you anything in return of this. I saw how your face lighted up when you saw the Glock, just take it! You’d make me happy...

That’s where you’re wrong. I’m not in charge of your happiness and we both know you’re not a man of your word. Let’s stop right here!

Eve wanted to leave, but stopped and looked around. It was no mystery, everybody knew General Oh fancied her, but he didn’t know, he thought he was elusive about it. Eve wanted to laugh, but he was being serious, so she held it in.

Don’t do this anymore, I know how you hate it when people talk.

She headed in the opposite direction. Sehun and Eve had a past, not a romantic one, more like a traumatic one. He could say he fell for her the first time he saw her, he’d say he loved her honesty, her authenticity, but Eve felt more like she had a stalker, like when you’re in highschool and a creepy boy likes you and sends you unfitted presents, like a handgun. Eve couldn’t lie, if it was given to her by anyone else, she’d had accepted it, but coming from him, she knew that later or sooner he’d ask her for something in return, and she always kept her word, she only believed in mutual altruism.

Eve always trusted her guts, so she knew he was up to no good from the start, like he claimed to fall for her from the first time he saw her. The first strike was when he acted like he was all smart and tried to threaten her that if she wouldn’t sleep with him, he’d demote her. The second one was when tried to force himself onto her, no luck for him, because Eve trained a long time to protect herself, that’s why she wore so many tricks on her.

She found herself taking steps toward the infirmary. Unlike Sehun, Chanyeol was sweet, but she cut his chance to confess his feelings, he must hate her now, but Eve still had to check if her soldier was doing fine. It was already 10AM, so she figured the nurse is there. She was right, an old lady stood up and she saluted her, she just nodded her head, and dismissed her.

She pulled the curtain aside and put it back to have a little bit of privacy, of course, the nurse still could hear if they talked, but Chanyeol was sleeping soundly. He was half and his shoulder was bandaged, the band Aid was stained with blood. Eve held his hand and with her left hand tried to feel his fever, but he didn’t have any.

I’m sorry”, she said, unsure what she was sorry about, she just felt the need to apologise to him.

No reaction, but his face was very pale and it was like he was older, even if he was only 25, he looked like 40 now. She didn’t mean to ruffle his feathers, but she liked one man, she didn’t mean to hurt this one. All her troops were like brothers to her, she couldn’t see any of them other way. Him liking her was flattering for Eve, but she couldn’t accept him. Suddenly, her walkie-talkie started beeping. She went out quickly in order not to wake up soldier Park. She turned to the nurse.

Change his bandages and please take a good care of that wound, can’t afford losing a man’s capacity! Now!” The nurse sat up fast, and went straight to Chanyeol.

Eve headed out.

Copy”, she simply said in the gadget.

Captain Kim, to your post!” a familiar voice said.

Eve sighed and started running to the office. Usually, when she received ‘calls’ like that, it mean that the Marshal was paying them a visit. She hoped not today, she wasn’t in mood for his bad manners (airs). Lieutenant Kim was waiting for her. Seeing him two times in one day was a real blessing, but it seriously messed her brain and, mostly, her heart.

He pointed the chair before his desk and she immediately sat down. He handed her some papers and she tried to check them, but it was quite hard with someone like him watching her so close. They prepared to send her and another 5 captain, with their platoons to make another attacks. This was a life and death mission. A lot of emotions trespassed her small face, but mostly, her will to do it, she already felt the adrenaline taking over, no pain in her body.

God, how I’d love you wouldn’t go”, he murmured, drawing Eve’s attention.

Eve felt her blood rushing to her cheeks while wondering how to act. Should she pretend not to hear a thing? Should she say something? Should she ask him what he meant by that? She chose the first one, but her blush betrayed her, even so, Lieutenant Kim chose to ignore it too, in fact, those words escaped his lips without him wanting to. They both straightened their voices.

Anyway, it’s only next week, make sure you train your troops and...” he paused, trying to remember if he had something else to add. “Ah, the prisoner! Chose one man and interrogate him too, don’t believe anything he says. Do this ASAP and report it to me.

Why are you asking me to do this? I’m not the best captain.

            “You’re not”, he agreed. “But you still captured him and you’re still the most respected Captain”, he added and smiled fondly to her. His eyes shined proudly. “Off you go. Make sure to report anything to me.

            Eve sat up, hugging the papers, she bowed and saluted and left the room, cursing at her heart for being too loud. ‘What if he heard you, you little ? Are you crazy?’ she thought to herself.

            Since it was the day after their getaway, Eve decided to call it a sick day and leave everyone to rest, out of Baekhyun, he still needed to serve his sentence. Eve went straight to his dorm, she checked her watch. 11:27AM. Eve grinned. She was sure he didn’t get to sleep that much last night. The black-haired-girl headed to the boys’ dorm and checked every door’s number, she had the list in her hand, Baekhyun’s door’s number was 4. She checked for another doors’ numbers with three names in her mind: Lieutenant Kim, General Oh and Soldier Park. Kim had 88, Oh had 94 and Park had 61. Another name popped up: Jisoo Park – Room 21, their door’s number. Suddenly, she remembered that Jisoo had to turn back that Friday. She really hoped she wasn’t wounded.

            Eve cleared her mind and opened the door, and immediately averted her eyes. Baekhyun was sleeping completely with his head buried in the matress, Eve let out a surprised sigh. Baekhyun was sleeping soundly, unbothered.