roses and sunflowers

roses and sunflowers and lilies

ii. tuesday

 

Chaeyoung has received a total of 11 roses and 2 boxes of chocolates since she got to school today. She might actually be running at the pace she’s walking to her locker. The blonde sighs and waves to a grinning Jennie with a poorly hidden paper bag behind her.

“Happy Rosie Valentines!” Jennie gives her the gift but the birthday girl raises her hand to stop her and opens her locker instead.

“I can’t believe you’re putting your secret admirer before me.” The shorter girl pouts though she knows Chaeyoung only wanted to put her other gifts in before getting Jennie’s. Chaeyoung takes note of the singular sunflower in her locker with its accompanying note but puts in the other flowers first and turns to Jennie.

“Here you go”

“Chanel? Jennie are you crazy?” Chaeyoung shakes her head as she envelopes the smaller girl with a hug. She knows her best friend is rich but this isn’t something she can really accept from her.

“Don’t even try to say about not accepting it, I got it at 80 off okay.”

“Wha—how?”

“Someone saw my IG feed I guess and they got me to model a few pieces on their collection.” Jennie says a bit sheepishly. She flashes her gummy smile before saying, “It’s no big deal Rosie, for real.”

“That’s amazing. You’re amazing babe. I love you, thank you for this.” Chaeyoung hugs her again and kisses the other girl’s forehead who furiously blushes and instead says, “so what did secret admirer give you today?”

The smaller girl knows the change in topic was too fast to not mean anything, like her cheeks weren’t burning from how quickly the blood rushed up or how her heart skipped one too many beats from a simple forehead kiss. She gets the feeling that somehow, Chayoung knows but she won’t say anything about it. Like one of those unspoken agreements that somehow makes everything better, but ambiguous. And like many moments just like this, they ignore it and move on.

“A horribly cut sunflower” Chaeyoung chuckles, grabbing the note beside the sunflower.

1:53

roses and sunflowers // timmy albert

Happy Birthday!

                              -  0507

Chaeyoung gets a bit shocked as she reads the note because she actually knows and likes this song and she doesn’t know if the mystery person actually knows that or they just have similar tastes. She thinks for a moment before turning to Jennie who’s busy with her locker now.

“Hey Jen, can I ask you something? And be honest with the answer okay.”

“What? Why are you so serious suddenly?”

“Are you the one giving me the flowers?” Jennie laughs nervously at the question and answers. “No way. What even makes you think that?”

Chaeyoung raises an eyebrow, uncertain; but knowing Jennie enough to see that the other girl isn’t lying. Jennie was way too easy to read, and even easier to interrogate. But maybe she’s gotten better hiding the truth, among other things.

“You’re the only one who knows my locker password.” Chaeyoung says and then smiles softly. “Plus, I know you keep up the whole RV day every year.”

“I—” Chaeyoung swears she’s never seen her best friend this flustered before and it’s actually quite amusing to see Jennie Kim being this nervous. She’s not really completely subtle when she gives other people flowers and chocolates to give to Chaeyoung on her birthday. Maybe the shorter girl saw the eight grade thing as an opportunity to give her best friend more love and it’s honestly become kind of a fun game for Chaeyoung to figure out who’s genuinely giving her gifts and who’s a Jennie Kim minion.

“Hey, I’m just playing! It’s the sweetest thing anyone’s done for me Jen, I only figured it out last year and it’s honestly impressive how you manage to get more and different people every year.”

“T-that’s because the people who like you actually increase because you get prettier every year Rosie, I just get the same amount of people every year.” It’s Chaeyoung’s turn to blush this time and just puts her arm around Jennie’s shoulder to bring walk to their next classes.

 


 

During lunch Chaeyoung remembers to check the note again and listens to the specific part of the song before everyone else arrives at their usual cafeteria table.

You're a flower that's blooming every season with spring

I fell in love with your roots, the whole you, everything

She smiles at the song’s lyrics and waves as she sees Joy and Yeri arrive. Jennie and Wendy arrive a little later because their teacher thinks seniors should “spend more time in class to appreciate their last year in high school” or something else Chaeyoung wasn’t really paying attention to.

“Seulrene?” Jennie asks to no one in particular.

“They’re with the dance squad I think.” Joy answers, unwrapping one of the chocolate bars Chaeyoung was giving out to the table. Yeri joins her in eating the blonde’s excess chocolate (everybody say thank you Jennie) before adding to Joy’s answer.

“Oh yeah they have that dance competition this Saturday and their captain is making them do more practice this week.”

“Who’s their captain?” Chaeyoung asks.

“Lisa” Chaeyoung’s eyes perk up a little and Jennie winks at her which goes unnoticed by the other girls on their table. Joy, Yeri, and Wendy look at each other before the oldest asks, “What’s up with Lisa?”

“Oh I don’t know, a little bird just told me Rosie’s had the dumbest crush on her since ninth.”

“You’re the little bird Jennie, and no I don’t have a crush on her!” The birthday girl quips before digging into the jjajamyeong she requested for her birthday. Chaeyoung looks around the cafeteria to see if anybody overheard their conversation and shoots the other girls a glare while they all grin at her.

“Worried anyone might hear about your crush?” Jennie teases.

“It’s okay Chaeng, your fans will still love you and give good food every year.” Joy adds with a snicker and playfully throws one of the wrappers at her. Chaeyoung rolls her eyes and continues to eat without noticing Yeri on her phone and Wendy slowly sending a signal to everyone at the table.

They all immediately stand and start to sing happy birthday to Chaeyoung as the whole cafeteria joins in to show their support. Chaeyoung smiles sheepishly at the students and smiles widely as she sees Irene and Seulgi practically run to their table. The other members of the council also appear and Jisoo hands Jennie a cake and Chaeyoung feels a lump in .

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSIE!” Everyone yells and claps while Chaeyoung blows the candles and starts hugging people. Everyone else in the cafeteria sat back down but Chaeyoung’s friends start giving her gifts and hugs and she actually starts crying. “Thank you so much guys, you know I love you all and I didn’t think I’d be happier today after Jennie’s gift and my lunch but this really put the icing on the cake gahaha!”

Everyone laughs at Chaeyoung’s corny joke anyway and the birthday girl continues hugging each of her friends and thanking them for their time and effort.

“I’m glad we get an excuse to skip a bit of practice too so Happy Rosie Valentine!” Seulgi jokes, giving her and Irene’s gift to Chaeyoung as Irene looks on fondly.

“Yup, Lisa and everyone at the squad wish you a happy birthday as well.” Chaeyoung doesn’t miss how Irene wiggles her eyebrows a bit but just smiles at her unnies.

“Aww thank you, and good luck this Saturday!” The two run back to their practice as Chaeyoung continues talking to her friends and finally sitting down to eat her lunch again. She takes a moment to appreciate everyone around her and decides Rosie Valentine may not be that bad after all.

 


 

Chaeyoung gets home later that day with a huge smile on her face and an even bigger dinner prepared by her parents for her birthday. She places the flowers she received today in a few vases and puts the sunflower in the vase with the three flowers from yesterday. There’s a certain bounce to her steps as she moves to eat and celebrate with her family. Before finally ending what might be her happiest and most peaceful birthday so far, she remembers to text her mystery flower connoisseur.

THE LOML

I like the song by the way

0507

I like you by the way

THE LOML

And here I thought you were

getting less corny

0507

I’ve never been corny!

0507

Good day?

THE LOML

the best.

0507

My sunflower’s impact (><)

THE LOML

ur poorly cut sunflower?

0507

Since when did u become a florist huh

THE LOML

At least I know how to cut sunflowers

because of our garden

0507

Garden??

0507

Your house must be big then :O

THE LOML

Not really :P why?

Don’t tell me you’re gonna rob me

0507

HAHAHAHA I was briefly considering it

0507

How far are you from Seonyudo Park?

THE LOML

idk like ten mins?? Why

0507

Im not the far then!!

0507

we should go sometime (oo)

THE LOML

when u actually have a face

and a name, sure

THE LOML

Only bc I love parks >:(

0507

me too! Which one’s ur fave

THE LOML

Hmm probably Yeouido?

THE LOML

Whats ur fave park

0507

Park Chaeyoung.

0507

Good Night <3

 

If I were eating something right now I probably would’ve choked.

Leave it to Chaeyoung to think about food even after a day full of overflowing sweets and a huge birthday dinner with her favourite food. She ignores the way her heart skips half a beat at the other person’s corny line but smiles anyway.