lilies from lily

roses and sunflowers and lilies

v. friday

Chaeyoung doesn’t even have a minute to fully grasp the scene before Lisa jumps over their little fence and sprints faster than Chaeyoung’s ever seen anyone go. Maybe Lisa can sub in for the track and field team too someday, Chayoung thinks as she lets out a little laugh at the ridiculous situation. Her mother later on hears from her that the culprit was scared to death and will almost certainly never steal again.

(She doesn’t know about the little thief never visiting again though)

 

-+-

 

Jennie meets Chaeyoung by her locker later that morning, Chanel earrings brightly shimmering as she shoots Chaeyoung an even brighter grin. “Excited for the game later?”

“Excited to see you fly, more like” Chaeyoung winks at Jennie as she closes her locker, pausing for a few seconds before asking, “Hey Jen remember when I told you about mom’s flowers?”

“The thief?”

“Yeah turns out it’s Lisa” Jennie almost spits out the iced coffee she was drinking when she hears Chaeyoung say it so nonchalantly. The taller girl even laughs at how Jennie’s face contorts while still processing what she just heard. “Come on, we both know Lisa was the one giving me flowers.”

“Wha—How?”

“When you dropped me off that Monday, you told me to get my girl. So I knew from then it was either you or you’re helping her.”

“That’s why you asked me about it.”  Jennie’s still aghast at how observant Chaeyoung turned out to be and then replies, “I had no idea she was stealing your flowers though.”

“Yeah that’s the funny part about it, I think I have to talk to her about that.” Chaeyoung’s twinkling eyes don’t go unnoticed by Jennie, who purses her lips for a moment with an unreadable expression.

“Good luck with that though, she doesn’t seem to be at school today. She was supposed to hand me the flowers for today to slip into your locker.”

“Probably because I caught her while she was trying to get said flowers from our yard.” It’s Jennie’s turn to laugh hysterically now, images of the morning popping in her head as she enters her first period classroom.

Chaeyoung briefly considers being late to her first period to go find Lisa and talk for a moment but brushes it away quickly. Deciding to let the dancer taker her time, so she sends a text instead.

THE LOML

Are u going to school flower thief?

 


 

The rest of Chaeyoung’s day is filled with practice and preparations with both the Student Council and cheer squad, the former having planned a surprise pizza party for the team and everyone else who will be at the game that night. She spent the whole day running around organizing things that she almost has no time to think about a certain girl. Keyword: almost. Chaeyoung checks her phone later that afternoon to find out that Lisa has seen her message at some point. She still hasn’t seen the dancer anywhere in school but at least that was some kind of start, right?

At some point during the football game their school was definitely winning, Chaeyoung sees a flash of long brown hair and her heart almost skips a beat. She remembers what they’re there for and quickly turns her attention back to their coach giving final instructions for the half time.

She watches Jennie fly with adoration in her eyes and Chaeyoung almost forgets that she has her own part in the routine too. It’s a hazy three minutes for her but her body moves on instincts and Chaeyoung just lets go, landing a perfect back tuck and smiling widely at the audience where she automatically spots a certain dancer with hanging open. Lisa immediately smiles back and waves, instantly lighting up Chaeyoung’s face as they finish the routine. Much to her dismay, Lisa is nowhere to be found after the half time, a seemingly empty seat beside Jisoo who just shrugs.

It isn’t until after they’ve won and everyone starts eating that Chaeyoung finally steps back and breathe, before feeling a tug at her varsity jacket. Jennie envelopes her in a hug that somehow feels different, it’s tighter and warmer than usual, like she’s trying to say something. Chaeyoung wraps her arms around the smaller girl with a sense of understanding that goes beyond words, some things just have to remain unspoken. Jennie pulls back and just smiles at the blonde who gently kisses her forehead.

“Go get your girl.”  

 

Standing at the side of the field a few yards away from the end of the bleachers is Lisa Manoban in all her glory, a simple white crop top and sweatpants to finish off the whole cool dance troupe captain look. Chaeyoung walks over quickly, not wanting to keep Lisa waiting and figeting with whatever her right hand was terribly hiding behind her back.

“Hi.” Lisa just stares at Chaeyoung for a solid five seconds before greeting her back with a big smile and pulling out a bouquet behind her back.

“Yellow lilies, from Lili?” Lisa’s tone goes up a bit towards the end of her sentence which makes Chaeyoung’s eyebrow quirk up. “Are you asking or telling me?”

“Sorry! I—uhh just feel kind of nervous around you now because of the whole incident and y’know, I had this whole thing planned out with the flowers and the 0507 which—”

“Yeah I knew it was you since Wednesday, you weren’t exactly subtle.” Chaeyoung chuckles at her and Lisa smiles sheepishly before continuing. “Right well, I was supposed to uh borrow flowers for the last time today and I swear I had no idea that was your yard, I didn’t even know we lived in the same area. But yeah it was supposed to end today and I was gonna give the last one as the best bunch with a note to ask you out but you caught me and I just decided to stop being cheap and buy flowers so…yeah”

“Are you gonna do it?”

“Do what?”

“Ask me out.” Lisa’s cheeks redden in two seconds max and it’s at this point she probably realizes she should just relax. She also realizes from behind Chaeyoung is probably half of their school (trying not to but still) watching from a distance as Lisa holds a big bouquet of lilies and a few snapdragons. The brunette finally smiles bright enough to make the sun jobless and hands over the bouquet to Chaeyoung.

“Chaeng-ah, I know I’ve been quite a mess with a plan I thought to be foolproof at first. But despite the corny notes and cheesy texts I hope you’ll like these flowers because they only have two things to say. I like you, and would you go out with me tomorrow night?”

Chaeyoung doesn’t even know what part of that short speech was actually endearing but she can’t help but smile widely at Lisa, nodding and putting the flowers down carefully to hug her. Only then does she remember that they’re still in a public place and although they were a bit distanced from the crowd, their claps and howls were still very audible from where the two girls stand, making them both laugh and roll their eyes at their schoolmates.

“You better stay until the clean up, thief.”

“Oh hell no, I’m walking you home too.” Chaeyoung hopes Lisa misses the way she blushes at the younger’s words, remembering to pick up the bouquet on the ground as they slowly walk back to the bleachers.

“Y’know what these Lilies actually mean though?” The dancer's eyebrows knot in confusion and Chaeyoung sees how hard shes’s thinking of an answer which makes the blonde smile softly as she locks eyes with Lisa again.

“They say, I’m happy that you’re here.”