The Beginning

Eternally
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sana looked in front of her, to the sea before closing her eyes as a tear slid her cheek. She breathed heavily, the salty breeze waking up her senses. She wasn't feeling sad or anything, as a matter in fact she was feeling lighter, as she never felt in her life, like she had no worries.
But then she remembered her friends, her family and all she left behind, making her regret whatever happened to her so that's why she closed her eyes, taking her tears away and keeping the moment to herself as Mina was far inside of the beach house. So Sana looked at the sea one more time, relaxing, cleaning the remains of her tears, looking down to her stained hands as she wiped them away. There was nothing she could do anymore.
"How did I die?" Sana asked sitting on a chair in the first room they went, it leads to the balcony, the glass doors were open and the yellow lights of the house made it seem warmer. Although the lights were dim, the room seemed like a dining room with a round small table, barely fitting four people.
"I can't tell you that." Mina said sitting on a chair in front of her, her dress spreading to the sides.
Sana bit her lip, nodding slowly. She had no memories of the last days.
"That's great... So, I can do whatever I want?" Sana said resting her elbow on the table, tapping her chin.
"Yes" Mina answered. She was used to the usual.
"How about a mango ice cream?" Sana said, lighting up a bit. Ice cream always made her happier.
And like that, without an effort, Mina used her staff to materialize the request and in a second, Mina had a mango ice cream in her hand. She stood it to the other, not minding too much.
Sana took it, impressed.
"Do you want some too?" She asked offering, a glint in her eyes. It was like Sana finally became aware of Mina's presence.
"No, I don't really eat." Mina said shaking her hands in refusal.
"Awn, that's sad" Sana pouted before scooping a full spoon and eating it.
"I can eat it's just I don't see the point. We can live without it" Mina looked at her, as she seemed amused.
Sana hummed, looking around in wonder.
"How about... Turning here to daytime?"
And in a blink of an eye, it was daytime. Sana mouthed a wow and then ate some more of her ice cream.
"Actually, I preferred it in nighttime" She said.
And it was nighttime again.
By then she was just messing around.
Then she looked at Mina, just starting.
"I can turn back into being just a voice if you like to or if you want to be alone." Mina suddenly said. By then it was the usual request.
"No, not really. I prefer it like this." Sana said sinking on her seat, spoon clicking.
"Okay" Mina said, paying attention to her magical staff as she put it aside on the floor.
"Do you pick our clothes when we die or?" Sana asked suddenly, looking down to her own clothes. For more weird that it sounded, she wondered for a bit how she ended up in a blue hoodie, a black cap, her bright hair standing out and black pants.
"Actually we let you decide, your subconscious I mean" Mina said.
"I guessed it would be like, the last clothes you were wearing or something but what if someone died ." Sana said taking some more of her ice cream, cheeks stuffed.
"Or in a hospital gown. That would be a problem so we preferred that" Mina explained.
Sana hummed, nodding and looking around. Finally finishing her treat.
"That's a really good ice cream" She commented putting it aside, smiling.
"Thank you, it's just the way I thought you would like" Mina said with a matching smile.
"By the way, how did you know that?" Sana asked with suspicious.
"I don't think it will do any harm telling you that so, we here can have a quick look at the last things the person did before arriving here. And I saw you eating some ice cream... The same way I saw you looking pictures of beach houses that's why we're here..." Mina said, as matter in fact she finds herself pretty good at her job for remembering everything like that. A sudden blow of the wind making the glass doors tremble.
"Woah, and you do all of this on your own?" Sana asked. Mina nodded.
"You're amazing" Sana said smiling and looking attentively at her because Mina had a type of beauty Sana had never seen in her life, one that makes her subtly glow, especially when she smiles. It drove Sana in a wonder for a bit.
"Thank you"
"You're welcome. Anyways," Sana got up, taking her cap out and putting it on the nearby table. Finally, Mina was able to see Sana like that in person for the first time.
Then Sana let out a bright smile.
"How about we do something fun?"
Mina arched her eyebrows. Sana thought about letting go, she was there and that was this interesting person with her.
"We?" Mina inquired, standing up, smoothing her dress with her hands.
"Yes, me and you. How about..." Sana looked around, her eyes stopped in the outside view and she noticed the stars up in the sky.
"Come on" Sana grabbed Mina's hand and the latter grabbed her staff quickly as they rushed pass the glass doors to the outside.
"The night is beautiful" Sana said turning around to look at the other, her bare feet touching the cold sand of the beach as she stepped heavily on it until reaching near the water.
"This looks so real." Sana mumbled when they were close enough to the water she could feel it on her toes.
Mina heard that.
"It's real, in a way." Mina said taking her attention.
"You're still worrying about it too much, let go, enjoy" Mina said letting go of her hand, stepping back. Sana looked back, noticing the place they were, the bright city lights in the distance behind them, she payed attention to the details around them, the buildings, the distant lighthouse, the boats by the shore. Suddenly her eyes stopped, having a sensation she called intuition.
"Hmm, can we go there?" Sana pointed to the distance, to a mountain in the far end of the shore that was barely on her vision because of the lights.
Mina nodded, smiling.
In a blink of an eye Sana was standing in the top of the mountain, inside a wooden venue that had yellow lights hanging to decorate the scenario, if she looked to the side she could see the wooden stairs made for visitors that led to the top, but of course, she didn't need that.
"Thanks" She said as she walked away to the edge of the cliff in front of them to look down, a sudden awareness of the height. So she looked back to Mina that was just there staring and then she placed her elbows on the big wooden railing around the place that prevented people to fall, looking at the city below.
"It's really quiet in here." She said when she heard Mina approaching and finding a spot by her side.
"It's just me and you." Mina said. Sana thought that made things far more interesting, her gaze encountering Mina's side profile and if she would say, it caught her staring more than any view.
"Really?... And before me? Where were you at?" Sana asked, breaking her gaze to turn her back to the fall, supporting herself at the edge, almost stumbling.
"With someone else actually" Mina simply said looking at her, she couldn't say more than that anyways.
"I'm curious about you." Sana voiced out, looking at the lights above them.
"How did you end up here?" She asked, turning her gaze to the other.
Mina consciousness almost shuffled, Sana had her eyes locked on hers.
"I can't tell you that" Mina said anyways, well, she really couldn't but Sana made her comfortable enough that she almost wanted to. In fact, Mina was also curious, because Sana drove her closer, as if she had an aura that made her want to stay.
"And what can you tell me Mina?" Sana playfully said.
"I can't tell you how thing work in here, but I can tell you things about me. Although no one ever asked" Mina put her guard down a bit, leaving her staff behind on the ground.
"A pretty woman like you? I doubt" Sana said, fully turning to her. If Mina knew less, she would think the other was flirting with her.
"Yes, a pretty woman like me. No one seems to care when they can do whatever they want. Be with whoever they want."
"Be with whoever they want... Isn't it sad though? If I ask right now for my friend Momo to materialize here she would?"
"Yes. Not exactly her but a projection, her appearance we know but her personality it would be of what you believe she's like" Mina explained.
"That makes it even more sad. You don't have to do this. At least not now. And I'm not alone here. I have you. But back to the conversation, tell me, have people asked you many weird things?" Sana asked, wiggling her eyebrows.
"So many. Believe me, you're one of the most normal so far regarding the requests. I don't have to see everything though or I would be traumatized already." Mina said, giggling.
"Have people ever be mean to you? They have been mean to me a lot of times in my life so I must ask, do people become nicer here?" Sana asked.
"It isn't like they become nicer, it's just, I'm pretty sure you're not really worried about anything right now am I right?" Mina said. Sana nodded, just realizing that.
"So, some people weren't really mean but, I got yelled a few times. But before you ask, I can't tell you about it." Mina said, passing her hands through her hair to keep it in place as the wind blew.
"I see. Even in the afterlife people can be rude."
"They're still themselves after all"
"Do you like your job?" Sana asked after thinking a bit.
"I do" Mina simply said.
"Do you like here so far?" Mina asked back, she thought about also joining the little game because right then she was already taken by it.
"I am" Sana simply said.
"Do you like music?" Sana quickly associated the things she liked and thought about asking that.
"That. It's funny that you asked..." Mina looked away, far to the beach, to the stars.
"I love music" Mina looked back at her, smiling brightly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter