Chapter 06

Tale of the Hummingbird

    My eyes fluttered open so rather calmly. I was panting, trying to catch my breath—as if I'm desperately running away from a nightmare. And I was, really. 

 

    I sat down and immediately looked around the room I'm in. It was rather unfamiliar. Where was I exactly? And what happened? I tried to recall whatever happened before I out but nothing seemed to occur to me. 

 

    That was when I heard the door open, the wooden material slightly creaking. As if it was in instinct, my head shot upwards toward the direction of the door to see whoever visited me. I was hoping it was my sister but to my surprise, it was Yeri. She was standing there in a white dress, her hair neatly braided down to her back. She smiled at me. And for once, I saw her smile again. 

 

    But there was something wrong with it. It wasn't out of joy—it was out of bitterness. Walking closer to the edge of my bed, she kneeled beside me. “What happened? How long was I out?” I ask, in a complete loss of words. I couldn't remember anything and I found it so odd. As if something's not right. 

 

    I heard Yeri gulp and not gonna lie, it scared me. Something wrong did happen. But what is? Her next words made my stomach drop to its fullest, as if my name was once again announced by Nako. “Two days… Y—you were reaped, Wonyoung.” she says, tears in her eyes. 

 

    I let out a faint shriek. Not because of the reaping, but because of the thought of Yuri. It all comes back now. I remember. With shaking hands, I reached for Yeri's shoulders. I'm aware that she can see the urgency in my eyes. “Where is she? What did they do to her?” I asked, stuttering a bit at the thought of Yuri dying in front of thousands of people. For the sake of my safety. With such a young age. I told her that if ever I was chosen as this year's female tribute, she had to promise not to volunteer. Which she did do. I guess it didn't matter, anyways. She'll die either ways. Either being killed by that cruel peacekeeper just like what had happened or perish in the games because of volunteering. It's a lost cause. 

 

    “Wonyoung… I'm so sorry” I felt myself at a loss for words. I knew what she meant. I knew I could do nothing anymore. All I could do was cry. Cry myself to sleep. Cry myself to death. Yearn for Yuri. Act like this was all a dream. But I can't. If Yuri was here, she'll tell me to be strong. To fight. To do my best to win. To survive. 

 

    I turned to Yeri, who was fighting back her tears—and it really surprised me for the fact she didn't really know my sister that well. “Can I see Yuri?” I asked, pertaining not to my sister. But her corpse. 

 

    “I'm afraid you can't.” Yeri confessed. I knew it was true. I can tell by her voice that holds bitterness and sympathy in it. “You have to go straight to the train now. You've been out for two days and now you have to train.” she elaborated, “It's a big loss for you, Wonyoung. You'll have to prepare. For your sister. For your survival.”

 

    I smiled at her. She was right. I have to let go of the past in order to bring a brighter future. I have to. It's not like I have a choice now, is it? “Thank you, Yeri. I appreciate it. All of this but… Why? Why are you doing this?” I asked in utter confusion. She formed her lips into a thin line, “Because I'm sick of seeing someone from our district perish just the way my brother did. I want you to win. I've seen you shoot and you were great at it. That is why I'm betting on you, Jang Wonyoung.” she explains, holding me by my hand and softly placing a golden object on my open palms. It was my mother's ring. The one Yuri used the day of the reaping. The day of her death. 

 

    I knew what Kim Yerim was trying to tell me. Take it. The ring. Take it as your token. She looked at me with urgency in her eyes, as if trying to say something, “Wonyoung, remember who the real enemy is.”