Chapter 11

Tale of the Hummingbird

    The next morning came quicker than I expected. I was as nervous as ever that I woke up earlier than usual wherein Nako's the one who's supposed to rouse me. I went downstairs and straight to the dining room which greeted me with a banquet of eatables for breakfast. I sat down on one of the chairs and gazed over the food on the table. There were fried eggs,  loaves of thick cheese bread, a gigantic bowl of mixed vegetables, some sizzling beef steak, chicken stew, and some fresh fruit platter. There were large pitchers of water and lemon juice and chocolate milk. It was very extravagant. As I was sitting down comfortably, Yuri assisted me onto getting and preparing the food I wanted. I just watched her in silence. In pain. But I knew there was nothing I could do. 

 

    I chose a hearty meal. For I knew I had to gain weight before going into the arena in order to survive the first few days. I ate up a big portion of cheese bread, fruits and vegetables, and my personal favorite—chicken stew, as I finished it off with a glass of water. I was full by then. 

 

    I didn't really know what Irene meant at that time—about the talk yesterday. What was she gonna do? Wax my legs until I don't feel them anymore? Curl my hair until I turn bald? Design my nails until they break off of my skin? These thoughts make me cringe. I'm having a hard time deciding what to choose. To die in the arena or to perish because of tons of skin and hair and beauty products. 

 

    I walked into Irene's prep room, ready to meet her and the team for the chariot rides. The Chariot Rides are the annual and traditional parade of the tributes in order for the Capitol citizens to take a look at them, and eventually picking out one candidate to sponsor. If ever I get one, though, Seulgi's most likely to control  the sponsorship for me and Jeongin. Even though I don't think I'll be achieving one. 

 

    A soft sigh escaped my lips as I sat down on one of the chairs. Any minute now, Irene and the team will come to my aid, brushing my hair, cosmetics onto my face, and rewaxing my legs. The long wait over my prep team was starting to steam up on me. I was fuming. What's taking them so long? But then again, the faster they are, the quicker my remaining days go by. Then, I heard a faint opening of the metallic door, at least that's where I think the noise is coming from. Finally! After a  long wait! Irene came inside first, a pink dress on her arms. Then came Yena with her wax and beauty products; then Hyewon with her nail and hair gadgets. 

 

    “Hello, Jang Wonyoung!” Yena exclaimed, voice hinting with enthusiasm and excitement. “I'm Choi Yena, a part of the prep team.” Next, “Hello,” the girl said, in a rather shy manner—a lot whole different from the girl I heard speaking with Yena. I guess she's not comfortable with talking to other people. “I'll be doing your nails and hair.” spoke Hyewon, slightly smiling. I didn't know how to react, honestly. The only person I knew was Irene. And she's extremely warm-hearted. Her beauty's a bonus point. I smiled in a rather awkward state, “Hello…” 

 

    “Aww, cute!” comments Yena, followed by a playful slap to her arm, given by Irene. Irene rolled her eyes at her playful teammate, “Well Wonyoung. You see,” she started, taking a seat next to me, “We've decided a perfect face for you to show to the public.” I raised my eyebrows at my stylist's statement, not quite understanding what she meant, “What do you mean?” I asked, in utter confusion. “What I'm saying is, you'll have to prepare for the Chariot Ride and—” I cut her off, interfering, “Aren't me and Jeongin supposed to just smile and wave? Or did the rules change?” Irene laughs, “Let me finish, young one. I'm not only talking about the parade later, but also your interview with Kim Jisoo.” 

 

    "Okay and?” I questioned, unfortunately not understanding what Irene's point was. Wasn't I always reminded to be myself? Why do I need a disguise? Is it for more sponsors? To keep me alive in that cruel bloodbath? I had too many questions within my head, yet I didn't bother to say them out loud. “So here's what I'm—” Irene leaned down, trying to explain the plan further, when Hyewon interrupted her, “We.” she corrected. “Fine. We. We're proposing you to keep your hunter attitude hidden. Don't give the other tributes a way to know your secret or else they'll find some way to upstage you, eliminating you in the process.” she elaborates. “Then? What's in it for me?” I asked. “You'll have to keep yourself down and act innocent and weak. That means you'll have to smile and wave naively to the crowd.”

 

    It sounded like a good plan. Like a way of survival. But then again, I'm not used to acting the way I'm not. I'm not even sure if I can endure the pain achieved from fake smiles. Whatever. It's the only way to get sponsors. So without another word, I say, “Alright then.” It didn't matter. The only options I have are toned down into two. Dead or Alive. 

 

    The next hours were fatally agonizing. It was almost as if my body parts were falling apart. I was moved to a room to dress up myself—a dress which Irene singlehandedly designed for me. It was honestly plain. I didn't understand what Irene's point was about entertaining the audience by style. The dress was pink in color, white details embroidered on it. It was simple, though, just like me. The pink dress came along with a metallic hair band, gold was its color. It came along with two identical wristbands as well. 

 

    Irene helped me tuck some adjustments from here to there, checking if everything was ready for the Chariot Rides. She then let me face a mirror, smiling at the process as she gazed upon my chocolate-colored orbs. “It's not that I'm proud about this outfit I designed. That's not even the main attraction.” she smiles. I raised my eyebrow at her, “What do you mean that the dress isn't the main attraction? Isn't that the main event of the entire   parade?” I asked, downright confused. The wardrobe was nothing special, yes. But by the fact Irene stated that she'll 'entertain the audience by style' earlier, bewildered me. “It isn't the dress. Yes.” Irene started, “For the main attraction are the jewelries.” she says, referring to the golden hair band and wristband. Whatever Irene's plan is, I'm certain it'll leave an impression to the Capitol's citizens. Not because I trust Irene—it's hard to trust random people at this point, but because I've got a feeling that she'll do well. And the thing is, I don't even know why.