Chapter 13

Tale of the Hummingbird

    The chariot came to a stop in the center of the platform, right in front of our president. President Kwon Eunbi. She stood up from her seat, coldness flashes from her brown eyes. She was dressed in a black off shoulder dress, her auburn hair was pinned at the right side of her head and it flowed all the way to her waistline. She smiles rather eerily, as she walked to the front part of the stage, a microphone ahead of her. She raised her chin up, aura was prideful as she spoke, “Welcome dear tributes to the 33rd Hunger Games! We thank and adore all of you for your great courage and sacrifice. We'd love to welcome you and say, Happy Hunger Games!” she stated, looking beneath the crowd. I stared back at her in utter anger, though I'm not making it obvious. She continued her next words and said, “And may the odds be ever in your favor!” I looked around, seeing other tributes' faces. Some were confident, some were doubtful. From there I knew, the odds weren't in anyone's favor. 

 

    Days began to pass by and the outfits Irene and Jeongin's stylist designed were a talk in the town. Everyone loved it! I found myself in a poorly ventilated room along with Seulgi. It had air conditioner, of course. But the blinds were sealed, making light impossible to pass inside the room of the District Seven's Victor. I looked around even though the place was obviously gloomy, “Why am I here?” I ask, not knowing the reason why Seulgi invited me here. All I know is that Jeongin's with Nako right now, talking to her just like what Seulgi and I are currently doing. The thing is, I have no idea why I'm here right now. The training starts tomorrow and I'm not sure if I did something wrong that made Seulgi  angry,  leading to where we are right now. 

 

    “I invited you here to discuss a strategy,” Seulgi says, rather formally, “The training starts tomorrow and I'm proposing something that can help you escape the career tributes' black list. I'm sure that you're aware of the dress Irene designed being a talk in all of Panem. I'm certain that tributes are now envious of you from stealing the spotlight—same goes with Jeongin. Because of that, they might add the two of you in their kill list. And we'd want to avoid that.” I folded my arms against my chest and stared at her, addled. “And what about it?” I asked. Her face remained cold as usual, “You act innocent. Forget about your archery and survival skills for a while. Act like a weakling, as if you don't know anything about hunting or so. Keep a low profile and don't act like a threat to them. The more you seem weak, the more they'll hesitate to run after you—thinking that they can eliminate you sooner and easier. That's the career's mindset, Wonyoung. Save your skills for the arena.” 

 

    I knew that this is a planned strategy, and that I have no right to refuse. So without hesitation, I say, “Okay then. I'll keep that in mind.” I exited the room minutes later and went on my own. I plopped myself on the fluffy mattress of my bed, thinking of District Seven. Thinking of home. Surely, if I wasn't reaped for the games, I'd be living a better life right now. I'd be hunting in the woods. Yuri's going to work to teach children some new songs. We'd probably eat the later cooked animals I tracked down from my hunting and snares. We'd probably get a goodnight sleep. Forget the comfortable mattress. Forget the fancy clothing. Forget the million platters of extravagant edibles. All I wanted was to be with my sister. In our district. In our home. Without threats. Just the two of us. Safe and sound. 

 

    I buried my head on top of my folded knees as I felt myself on the verge of crying. But then again, I knew it was futile. If only I can cry myself to sleep and wake up as if everything was just a dream. That I'm not a tribute. That my sister isn't an Avox. But that's not gonna happen. What's done is done. All I had to do was accept reality. Reality that meant nothing is going back to its right path. 

 

    I can hear the sound of metal heels coming inside of my room despite my slumber. I knew who it was. “Rise and shine, Buttercup!” beams Nako, rousing me from my sleep. I awoke. “Today's a very, very, very big day! It's your first day in the training grounds, aren't you excited?!” she exclaimed once more. I rubbed my right eye in a sleepy manner as I got a clearer vision of her. She was wearing a hot pink dress that goes with a pair of radiant blue gloves and an enormous hat with the same color. 

 

    Nako immediately dragged me out of the bed and made me dress up—which I instantly obliged, not wanting to hear more of her fashion rants. I went inside the bathroom and washed up, scrubbing my skin here and there. For a while, I wanted to wash my body clean—thinking that I won't be bathing a while for days in the arena. Hell, this might be one of my last contacts with water. I'd be dying there anyways. I exited the bathroom minutes later, as I looked through the pile of clothes I had in my cabinet. I shuffled some of them, picking a simpler outfit. In the end, I wore a blue dress with buttons on the chest area. I then brushed my hair. I knew Nako was outside, waiting for me. And I was about to leave when a certain velvet box had caught my sight. It had a note attached to it. A note from Nako. I picked it up and read out loud, “Saw this in the pile of your clothing on the day of the reaping. Thought it was your token. Smiley face.” chuckling to myself, I grabbed the velvet box and opened it. And behold, my ring. That's when a series of my whole life flashes in my mind. 

 

    My father giving the ring to my mother as their first anniversary gift. My father dying because of malaria. My mother dying instantly in the peacekeeper's hands. My sister brutally dying in the hands of the Capitol. Me being reaped for the games. Yeri handing me out the ring after we thought Yuri's dead. Yuri being an avox. What's next? Me suffering the same fate as Seungwan? I wasn't sure. After all, the games are unpredictable. 

 

    Feeling my stomach growl, I wore the ring and immediately exited my room, meeting Nako outside. Both of us went to the dining room and as usual, it greeted us with a series of food. I saw Jeongin sitting down, ready to start his meal. I sat down as well and started to eat mine. I had cookies, pasta, chicken stew, and apples and berries for breakfast. In an instant, I was full. I then drank up the glass of milk they served. I was about to go upstairs, when Seulgi stopped me. What was it this time? I glanced at her and saw her standing up, finished with her breakfast. “Come with me. I have something for you.” she says. I obliged as usual and continued to follow her, tailing from behind. We stopped inside her room and it was expectedly dark. There was almost no light, except for the light reflecting from her red blinds. “Sit down,” she started, before getting something from her cabinet. “Here,” she says, handing me a black cloak. It was neatly folded, and on its gray sleeves lies a number seven. My district number. Given that information, I immediately knew what the shirt was for. It was for the training. “Thank you.” I say, getting the shirt from her. 

 

    As I was about to go out, I heard Seulgi whisper, “Goodluck.” I smiled at her genuinely, saying another thank you. “I promise to be like you. I promise to come home. To be a victor.” I say. She chuckled rather bitterly, as if there was something false in what I just stated. “I'm not a victor, Wonyoung.” she says, eyes directed to the ground. My eyebrow creases at this. Not a victor? But how? My thoughts got caught off guard when she looked straight at me, the firmness in her voice did not falter, “I'm a survivor. There's… No such thing as a victor in the games. Even if you win, your sufferings won't end. You'll still be haunted by the screams and begs of the dead tributes. You'll still remain as a piece in their games.” she sat down on her bed, seeing that this interests me, “Did you know how agonising it is to see the remaining careers that's supposed to hunt me down drown in the tsunami set by the gamemakers in my games? I climbed the nearest tree, knowing it's not the type to fall down despite such a big wave. It pained me. It pained me to see my loved one die.” 

 

    I was in a confused state. Someone she loves? That's when it hit me, “You loved a career? But… How?” I questioned, “Aren't careers supposed to be bloodthirsty? Aren't careers supposed to kill you?” Her lips formed a thin line with my statement, as if reminiscing the painful days of her in the arena, “The reason why is because that's the way they were raised. The only thing they ever know. The only thing they learned.” There was a pause, “That career… protected me when times got tough. She was my shoulder, my sanity. And now, she's gone.” Seulgi then looked into my eyes, anger was evident. Though I knew it wasn't directed to me, it was to the Capitol and its unfair and inhuman rules. “If there's one thing you need to learn apart from survival, then don't fall in love with anyone. Not in the games. Not with Jeongin. And especially, not with other tributes. Promise me, Wonyoung.” 

 

    There was a certain urgency in her eyes and I can tell that she's dead serious, “It's the thing we love the most that will destroy us.”