arrival

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

When they step out of the bus, they are met with inhuman howling. Good thing there are officers in charge, thinks Sowon, because the last time we visited soldiers, we sure had security.
She checks her hair in the bus’ shiny side. Thankfully, Nayoung has woken her up twenty minutes before the arrival, so she doesn’t look like a complete troll. Still, she is not satisfied with herself. Once an idol looks half-vulnerable in front of fans and haters, they see her (or him) as expendable. 
Their huddle is being led by Jisoo, Nayeon, Seolhyun and Kei. Some things never change, and the girl groups’ concepts, that are quoted best in the military, are no exclusion. Sure, every single soldier in their toy celebrity platoon is highly desired and greatly adored, but some of them are just better at doing it (or their agencies are better at capitalising on it).
Sowon shakes her head, chasing her thoughts away and focusing on what is around.
It seems like MNet kicked up enough of a fuss. There is a sizeable crew. There are two hundreds excited soldiers on a parade ground, dying over whomever their bias is. The idols are stretched in a thin line in front of them, by the foot of a stage. The stage is occupied by a, rather fierce looking, female captain. She is the one giving the welcoming speech. 
«We are happy to show our new recruits what serving our mighty motherland means. They will learn many useful skills here; I’ll see to that myself», she says confidently, earning some knowing laughs among the soldiers. «You, pretty idols, are here to prove that you are Korea’s finest daughters; not only the stars in the high sky, but our comrades, as well. You will prove yourselves with your sweat, and earn yourselves respect. We, Korea, are watching you».
What on Earth, thinks Sowon. Is it always like this here? Why haven’t any of her older friends serve, so she could’ve known this beforehand?
The captain yells, «Idol platoon!»
They salute, very clumsily; some people are off sync, and they don’t look too brave. Sowon, on the far end, winces; Im Nayoung keeps her poker face. The soldiers are laughing. 
Taking the microphone, Jisoo asks for the oppas’ leniency, Kei works her magic — and the soldiers are erupting with happy cheers. 
The rest of it happens in a blur. They are being escorted by that female captain and a young male lieutenant (who immediately asks for a selfie) through the military base. First, they drop their baggage at the barracks they will be residing in. Second, they visit the infirmary, where Sowon successfully hides her height information (she will NEVER leave a paper trail!). Then they are shown the car park, the arsenal, the shooting range, the gym, the stadium, the obstacle course, the parade field and the canteen. 
«Captain Baek, do we eat with the the soldiers, or…» starts Kei, but gets interrupted by an enthusiastic cry.
«Yoo Shiah! You are my bias! Oh My Girl, fighting!» scream two soldiers with the brooms in their hands.
Captain Baek slides next to YooA, physically shielding her, and barks, «Private Yoon! Private Kim! Keep working!» 
The guys return to sweeping.
«Lieutenant Lee, please, monitor their work», curtly orders the captain. «Make sure they won’t bother YooA again. If I ever spot them next to her, they will be cleaning toilets for a month».
«Roger that, captain». 
«Thank you, captain Baek, but you didn’t have to», stammered YooA. «They just wished me good luck».
Captain Baek stops and takes YooA’s hand in hers. «I don’t think you understand how inappropriate this is», she says with just a hint of tenderness, «they are not only hormonal boys, but also simpletons. You — you are a walking dream, a real-life goddess. I can’t let anything happen to you. That would be a disaster. As long as I am here, no exclusive fanmeets».
She drops YooA’s hand and continues her walk. «Let’s go. Your first mission ever is to find yourselves a nicely fitted combat uniform. We’re almost there».

They get some time to breathe, unsupervised, in the uniform storage. 
«It’s kind of like shopping», authoritatively comments Heehyun, and dives into the space between the shelves, quickly assessing the clothes on them: khaki tees, cargo pants, camouflage jackets, military boots, etc. 
Sowon spends solid ten minutes, trying to find long enough — and appropriately slim — cargo pants, to no avail. Those just a tad full on hips she has given Nayoung, and they are a perfect fit. Annoyed to no end, she thinks about asking that pair back (maybe, she could sew them down to her size), when she, along with everyone else, gets distracted.
Heehyun — that cheeky bastard has already found herself a full set of clothes — notices confused Exy in a size too big jacket, and laughs so hard, her eyes start to water.
«Chu Sojung, you look like a prepubescent nerd», she manages to utter in between her giggles.
Exy sharply turns to her, narrows her eyes — if looks could kill, DIA would have lost their leader for sure — and throws the jacket away.

Please log in to read the full chapter