Chapter 6

Touch

When I envisioned my first mission being part of one of the most feared gangs in Seoul, I didn't exactly picture myself in a nightclub trying desperately to make eye contact with a drug dealer so I can switch on my mystical powers of non verbal communication (proudly taught to me by Taeil), making myself so irresistible that he just has to invite me back into a private room long enough for me to touch his hand and hopefully find out where this sick bastard was keeping the kids he kidnapped. Oh, and did I mention the fishnets? Kun insisted that wearing them underneath my (practically tarnished) ripped black jeans would "add an edge to my soft boy aesthetic", whatever the that meant. Never again will I respond with, "I'll just wear whatever you want" to a man as diabolical as Kun. Anyway, this is happening. No time for zoning off into a daydream... actually it might be better for my psyche if I try stay as unaware of this situation as possible. Maybe that will also help me scrub my memory clean of that... encounter with Jaehyun. 

*A few hours earlier*

Neither Doyoung nor Jaehyun had made an attempt to budge from their cocoon. Doyoung felt strangely comfortable to quietly sob into Jaehyun's broad shoulder while Jaehyun rhythmically drew circles around Doyoung's back. Deep, deep, down Doyoung felt embarrassment creep in. Sure, he felt blissfully at home snuggly wrapped in Jaehyun's arms, his grip being desperate enough to match Doyoung's high emotions but delicate enough to communicate the fact that Jaehyun felt as though he was holding something precious. Something he must dearly treasure as if his life depended on it. However, Doyoung knew that bad alternate universe Doyoung was currently rocking back and forth in a dark, dank corner ripping out his hair at this vile display of emotional vulnerability. 

Doyoung, at his own slow and cautious pace, peeled his smaller frame away from Jaehyun's but still kept him held at arms length, almost afraid to completely let go of Jaehyun and the security and love he guaranteed with his being.

Doyoung quickly averted his eyes and begun to viciously wipe at his still flowing tears with the corner of his hoodie sleeve. "I'm sorry..." Doyoung croaked in a barely audible mumble as he stood hunched over, desperately trying to make himself as small as possible in the hopes that maybe Jaehyun would lose sight of him and go away. Doyoung felt guilty enough about the position he had just put the other in. 

Doyoing was still too ashamed meet Jaehyun's eyes but he could somehow tell that a warm smile was forming on Jaehyun's face. Jaehyun reached into his pocket for a pack of tissues, removed one and began to dab at Doyoung's surprised, doe eyes. 

"You kidding? I've got the one and only Kim Doyoung's tears on my shirt. I wonder where I should frame it..." Jaehyun said tauntingly with his deep, husky yet wonderfully gentle voice that enough to make Doyoung melt. 

Doyoung pushed Jaehyun playfully but softly enough so he could ensure the other wouldn't go anywhere. "Shut up" Doyoung giggled as face began to redden. Doyoung pondered the likelihood of Jaehyun being a witch who had cast some sort of all-consuming infatuation potion on him- who falls for someone this quickly and deeply if they aren't under some sort of spell?

Doyoung, helplessly lost in Jaehyun's wide-set almond brown eyes, raised his hand to rest on top of Jaehyun's which was still patting away at Doyoung's eyes. But as he did, Doyoung let out a sharp gasp as every hair on his body instantaneously stood up and an alarming glistening shade of silver washed over his eyes. Jaehyun immediately realised what was happening and attempted to bring his hand back towards him but was unable to as Doyoung held a death grip on it as a horrified look spread across his face. 

The vision was much clearer this time, too clear. Doyoung saw Jaehyun who couldn't have been older than elevn desperately plummeting a bloodied bat downwards whilst he howled a blood curdling scream. Doyoung floated his eyes towards the object Jaehyun was hitting and immediately felt a wave of nausea overtake him. A man lay heavily beaten and clearly deceased on the ground, and yet Jaehyun continued to beat him as if he were running at him with a knife. The sound of the blows towards the head echoed in Doyoung's ears but he was frozen, unable to make a move to shield his eyes or cover his ears. He was trapped watching Jaehyun sob profusely as he mercilessly beat this man. All Doyoung could manage to do was plead, "Make it stop" in an undertone over and over again. 

When Doyoung was brought back to his senses he was met with a wild-eyed Jaehyun desperately trying to rip his arm away from Doyoung's grasp. Doyoung released Jaehyun and allowed his hand to flop to his side as he staggered backwards. There was no seering pain this time, but a paralysed, hopeless feeling that Doyoung knew he would come to be very familiar with. 

Jaehyun flexed his wrist and worriedly examined the deep nail indents that appeared on his skin. He raised his head with a concerned expression and made a move towards Doyoung. "Are you okay" Jaehyun spoke with the softest tone he could but Doyoung recoiled further backwards. 

Doyoung took a minute to try compose himself as he stared as his hand then spoke with a gruff, uncertain voice, "I'm sorry, I-I just need a minute" Doyoung uttered as he rushed inside the house and left a guilty, ashamed Jaehyun standing remotely in the cold. He could tell what Doyoung must've saw and knew he couldn't blame Doyoung for his reaction, but that didn't make it hurt any less when Doyoung stared at Jaehyun with pure fear in his eyes.

***

I'm such . How could I react like that? I can't imagine how Jaehyun is feeling. I tried not to show him how disgusted I felt but I know he could see right through me. Jaehyun must've had a reason. Yeah, he's not the type of guy to go around doing stuff like that without a valid reason... right?

Enough, I'm getting distracted. Come on, Doyoung. No more stalling. I subtly glance over my shoulder to make sure Kai is where I left him before I went off into a world of my own. Panic starts to set in when I can't locate him and start frantically searching. , if I lose this guy I'm ed. I make a move to start off in search of him when I feel a tight grip on my wrist. I spin my head round to meet Kai's peering, invasive gaze. 

"Looking for someone?" Kai's tone comes across as disinterested yet overwhemlingly cocky. Instinct prompts me to punch this guy square in the face but instead I clench my fist and weave an alluring smile on my face as I my head to the side (again advised to do so by Taeil... I have no free will in my actions here). 

"Yeah, I just saw this really hot guy across the room a few minutes ago. Come to think of it he looks a bit like you. Any idea where he is?" I said with a flirty tone as I cringed internally. What's worse is that this cheesy line worked perfectly on this creep as I see his ego rapidly rocket to the heavens. 

Kai laughed a low, gravelly chuckle, "You're cute, aren't you? Hey so, not to brag but... I'm kind of a big deal around here. Infact, I happen to have my own private room. Wanna check it out, sweetheart". 

Doyoung felt chills of disgust zigzag all over his body but for the sake of the gang he raised his eyebrows seductively as he nodded diligently. He then allowed himself to be led by the uncomfortable, tightening grasp this jerk had on his wrist. As he was brought through the club he quickly located the table Haechan and Mark were sitting guard at in disguise and gave a subtle nod to them to initiate the next sequence of the plan. 

"Okay, it's go time. You go ahead, I'll follow in a second so it's not suspicious" Mark spoke in an undertone to Haechan. 

"Roger that, babe" Haechan said as he blew a kiss to Mark and set off confidently in the direction of Doyoung and Kai. 

Mark could only sputter in rage as he held himself back from reminding Haechan that he never agreed to them going under disguise as boyfriends. Mark paused for a moment as the embarrassing moment from the previous night crawled into his brain and threatened the play on repeat- the purest form of torture, Mark thought to himself. How was he going to come back from that?

*The previous night*

Mark slammed his hand down on the table, causing the mountain of bottle resting on it to squirm in fear. 

"H-hey, Haechan. You're a smart guy, right? A- *hiccup* answer me this then you smartass" Mark drunkenly sputtered in the direction of an incredibly amused, sober Haechan sitting across the table with his head neatly placed inbetween his hands, comfortably enjoying the show. 

Haechan mustered up every fibre of his being to hold back laughter as although he could tell how obliterated Mark was, he knew the question he was about to be asked would be groundbreaking.

"Yes Mark? How can I help you?" Haechan replied sincerly, patiently awaiting to bestow his knowledge. 

All of a sudden Mark was not-so-gracefully climbing up onto the table, using Haechan's head to steady himself. Mark let out an exhale and straightened himself as he prepared for a drunken monlogue as he staggered every so often. 

"O-okay so h-hear me out. I'm not bad, right? Like okay I'm not the TALLEST guy you've ever seen but l-let me tell you something, Haechan... not everyone can be born with a long torso!" Mark screeched, indicating that this is clearly something that has been haunting him his whole life. 

Haechan started to lose Mark in his monologue when he started theorizing what wizard Johnny made a deal with for his height and decided to interrupt him before he decided to confront Johnny. 

"Okay Mark, what's your point here?" Haechan and Mark stared into eachother's eyes for a moment but Haechan noticed Mark's face begin to crumble as he let himself flop down on the table, luckily managing not fall off but was now sitting cross legged, face-to-face with Haechan. 

Mark's lower lip bubbled uncontrollably as he feebly fought back tears. "Why... why don't I have a boyfriend" Mark uttered in a hushed, low voice as he allowed his head to flop on Haechans shoulder. 

It was at this point that Haechan was dealing with a new kind of drunk Mark. He had hung up his coat of unintelligible, angry monologues and had now switched to depressed, existential ragdoll. 

Mark was now inconsolable and Haechan was struggling to gather his attention and was slowly losing patience. 

All of a sudden Haechan smacked his hands on either side of Mark's head and forced his now smushed up face to meet his own eyes. 

"Mark... this is just drunk talk. You're a very beautiful man and whoever you end up dating next will be very lucky to have you." Haechan spoke confidently and assuredly so Mark would have no room to doubt him... but drunk Mark was not giving up his plead of eternal lonliness so easily. 

"N-no! You're lying, y-you stupid liar. No one will want me. You should know, all you do is call me 'babe' and 'sweetie' just to tease me..." Mark spoke with an extremely emphasised pout which Haechan couldn't help but find incredibly cute.

Haechan laughed lowly to himself, looked deeply into Mark's luminous dark eyes and let his grasp of Mark's head shift into a soft hold as he carressed his hair lightly, "I assure you, Mark. I've never been teasing when I call you babe" Haechan let a grin wash over his face that Mark became encapsulated with.

Before Mark could ever comprehend what was happening, his lips had found their way towards Haechan's. Mark wasn't entirely sure but he could swear he felt fireworks exploding inside of him, that was the only explanation for this engrossing feeling he was experiencing. His heart was beating so fast he was sure it was bound to explode any moment. Mark found himself never wanting to part from Haechan's soft, gentle lips but all of a sudden reality came spriting back in his direction, now sober and alarmingly aware of the situation. 

Mark quickly drew himself back and did what any rational person would do in that situation. Sheild his eyes to prevent himself from being able to gage any reaction from Haechan and sprinting out of the room as fast as he could. Not forgetting to violently and aggressively curse himself out as he did so which included some classics like, 'What the hell is wrong with you? Moron doesn't even come close to describing how stupid you are'. Mark accepted his fate of having to hide under his bed sheets for eternity as he made his way towards his room. It wouldn't be so bad, Kun could sneak him snacks underneath the blankets while he finds a way to convince Johnny to force Haechan to move to the other side of the world. 

Mark knew he would be regretting this for the rest of his life and he knew Haechan wouldn't be letting him forget this any time soon. 

***

Mark shudderered violently at the memories from the previous night. I mean sure, he found Haechan unbearably frustrating but at the same time he also found him incredibly cute. He made a mental note to never, ever take a sip of alcohol for the rest of his life and set off in the direction of Haechan.