Chapter 3

Touch

"Do you wanna tell me where the we're going?"  Doyoung questioned as he furiously fidgeted with the window switch in Johnny's car. They had been driving for about 20 minutes when Doyoung had finally had enough of Johnny continually stopping and starting sentences and repeatedly averting his gaze. 

"Why are we driving towards the woods? I swear to God dude if you kill me I'll be so pissed"

"Look Doyoung I just need you to be quiet and trust me, can you do that?" Johnny questioned with his signature stern, dad-like expression. After knowing Johnny for the last 10 years, Doyoung knew to keep his mouth shut. Ever since his brothers death last year Johnny made his mission to become Doyoung's rock, whether he wanted it or not. Doyoung would gladly put his life in Johnny's hands, but that didn't mean he had to do it in a mature way.

Doyoung released a long, heavy sigh as he shifted his body towards the window. Despite the enormous, looming nature of the trees they failed to shield Doyoung from the sun glaring into his eyes, making a second attempt at destroying his sight. When Doyoung was a kid, he would always pretend that the sun was chasing after him. It would gallop as fast as it could but it would never catch him, however, it never gave up the hunt. It was as though Doyoung had something that the sun desperately desired... craved. Doyoung has recently been feeling this nostalgia, like he was being observed... watched for the perfect opportunity to strike. Doyoung passed this off as paranoia, but he could never fully shake his sneaking suspicion that he was some kind of object someone craved to own. Being near the woods, the place in which his only brother was mercilessly murdered only worsned this anxiety. Doyoung shifted in his seat again.

Johnny gave a quick glance to Doyoung, and placed a hand on his shoulder This pat was Johnny's way of saying, "I'm here for you, buddy". This immediately put Doyoung's nerves at bay, he gave Johnny a quick nod and returned to staring at the serene nature.

"We're here" Johnny stated as he stepped out of the car. "C'mon, let's go take a walk" Johnny set off with Doyoung jogging to catch up with him, Doyoung stared daggers at those stupid long legs of Johnny's. "Lanky bastard..." Doyoung mumbled under his breath as he struggled to catch up.

They were well into the woods at this point. The moonlight lit a path for the two friends as they down the uneven, treacherous path, causing Doyoung to stumble. 

"Dude, are you sure you're feeling better?"enquired Johnny as he helped steady Doyoung. "Look, maybe you're not up for this right now-"

"Johnny I swear to God if you brought me all the way out here just to make me walk all the way back in the middle of the night I will literally kill you" Doyoung wasn't confident he could overpower Johnny but he was no stranger at making his voice as intimidating as possible. "We're doing this now because if we don't I promise you will regret it-"

"Haha... Wow, such strong words from such a little bunny" Doyoung knew that sly, low voice anywhere. He spun around quickly-too quickly- causing himself to stumble again.

"Cool it there, bunny. Didn't you miss me? I've gotta say I'm getting pretty used to you falling into my arms" Jaehyun chuckled as he caught Doyoung. Jaehyun's cocky grin wiped away any dizziness Doyoung was feeling as he shoved the taller one away from him. 

"Don't ing touch me. What the are you doing here?" Doyoung demanded, furiously wiping any spot Jaehyun might've dirtied him with his touch. 

Another fire was lit in Doyoung's mind when Jungwoo and Yuta, along with Haechan and Taeyong strolled up towards Jaehyun's side, but making sure to stand slightly behind him. 

"What the is this?"Doyoung yelled as he turned toward Johnny who looked calm as ever. "Have they came here to amush us or-" Doyoung was silenced with Johnny's knowing hand on his shoulder, which Doyoung stared at in a confused manner. 

"Doyoung calm down, I asked them to come here." Johnny's gentle voice usually calmed Doyoung but in this case it only served as condescending, agitating white noise. 

While Doyoung's mind was racing a million miles an hour to locate some kind of logical explanation as to why Johnny would invite their shared enemy to some kind of meet-up, Taeil, Sicheng and Mark appeared from the shadows and joined Johnny's side. This only aggravted the feelings of alienation and confusion circulating Doyoung's brain, begging to be let out and allowed to scream demands for answers. 

Doyoung shot Johnny a menacing look. "What the hell do you mean you invited them?" He hissed as he distanced himself from his friend.

"Trust me, Doyoung, this is the last thing any of us wanted but my hands are tied I had no other choice. Jaehyun and his gang are the only ones strong enough who can help us protect you" Johnny softly spoke as he tried to approach his now distrustful friend.

"Who says I need protecting? Especially from that " Doyoung barked as he backed himself away further. He stopped in his tracks as soon as he felt a strong arm drape around his shoulders.

"Looks like we're all gonna be one big happy family now, right bunny?" Jaehyun whispered with an alarmingly tenderness into Doyoung's ear. 

The mention of Jaehyun of all people talking family around Doyoung made his blood boil. "Don't you dare mention family around me" Doyoung screeched as he charged at Jaehyun to pin him against the tree.

Jaehyun's head thumped against the bark but he didn't seem to care as he gently raised his hand to place it delicately upon Doyoung's clenched fist. But as Jaehyun raised his head to meet Doyoung's eyes, he was alarmed at the sight he was met with. Doyoung's once black, almond eyes that one could've likened to obsidian were now an illuminating, icy silver which had an ethereal yet chaotic nature about them. They seemed to eagerly peer right into Jaehyun's soul, scanning every event that had occured in Jaehyun's life and analysed how it molded him to become the person he is. The moonlight hitting them seemed to enhance the almost synthetic glow they had about them. 

Doyoung was met with that same seering pain penetrating his mind but this time it was intertwined with images of blood and carnage, pictures that sickened him to the core. Doyoung leapt away from Jaehyun and plummeted to the cold forest floor as he stared intently at his hands, unable to comprehend what he had just witnessed. Doyoung looked around him for comfort and confirmation of this peculiar event but all he was met with were unfazed gazes peering back at him. 

Johnny was the first to make a move, walking cautiously towards a traumatised Doyoung and helping him up, making sure not to make contact with his hands. 

Johnny spoke without taking his eyes off Doyoung. "You're going to feel dizzy for a little bit but that's perfectly normal, don't worry... your brother always felt the same way after he had his visions" Doyoung's head shot up and locked eyes with Johnny's, he was still unable to make himself speak but his stare pleaded for answers from his friend. 

"Doyoung, Donghyun never wanted to tell you about this ability you both hold because he didn't want you to have to suffer through everything he did. And you know how much I love your brother and want to keep his wishes but in this case ignorance is what will get you killed." Johnny paused as he was used to Doyoung relentlessly interrupting him as he spoke but in that moment his friend had never looked more small and genuinely afraid. His eyes seemed dead and yet filled to the brink with so much heartbreak. Johnny reluctantly decided to continue, although it pained him to.

"You and your brother hold this ability that has ran through your family for generations. Essentially, whenever you touch someone else' hand you can see the worst thing they have ever done. What you saw when you touched Jaehyun's hand was him torturing the bastard from another gang who killed his best friend." Doyoung glanced towards Jaehyun who had his head pointed firmly towards the ground. 

"In that moment, you can feel everything that they felt. You're basically absorbing their trauma. You're starting to reach the age where you would've been initiated into the gang so that's why you collapsed earlier today. Donghyun wanted to protect you from this as much as possible not only because of the trauma but the fact that other people are going to want this power. Other people like... the gang who killed him." 

Doyoung stared speechlessly at Johnny. This whole time he had been convinced this was Jaehyun's doing and disregarded anything anyone said to the contrary. He needed someone to blame and Jaehyun was the most obvious perpetrator. Doyoung let his head fall guiltly with a sigh of frustration. 

"They like to call themselves the 'Gods' because despite their strength and numbers, they wanted your brother to make themselves even stronger- indestructible even. And they always found him, no matter how many safe houses we put him in or the countless ing ways we tried to protect him... those ers always found out" Johnny's words faded to a mere whisper as he let a hot tear fall from his eye. He furiously wiped it away.

"And somehow they've found out about you too. Doyoung, I know you never wanted to be involved in all this bull but I-I can't lose you. And unless you help us take them down I can never guarantee that they won't be chasing you for the rest of your life. We've already seen that you can fight but another thing about your ability is that once you've been initiated into the gang you'll find that your physical abilities enhance as well. So I'm asking you, Doyoung, will you join us and help take them down?"

Doyoung pondered for a moment. He didn't want to live in miserable fear for the rest of his life. He wanted to live to the fullest for his brother. Even though this went against his wishes it really didn't seem like Doyoung had any other choice in the matter. Doyoung reluctantly turned himself to face Johnny. "For my brother... yes, I'll help you..."