The Plan

More Than Friends

 

Taemin sat on the bench beside the school's entrance, head high as he scanned the crowd entering the school for Minho. Even if he was a bit sad about yesterday, it was tradition that he wait for Minho in front of the school gates. Even after everything, after all, they would always still be best friends. 

 

"Hey." Greeted Onew, smiling his usual happy smile as he took a seat next to Taemin on the bench. "Waiting for Minho?"

 

"As always." Taemin sighed, hanging his head.

 

"You seem down." Onew observed. "Did something happen with you guys?" 

 

"Nah." Taemin lied. "I'm just kind of tired. I didn't get enough sleep last night I guess." 

 

Onew raised an eyebrow. Taemin was lying through his teeth, but he let it slide just this once. "Whatever you say, Taemin-ah. Oh. Minho's here." 

 

Taemin raised his head. Sure enough, Minho was there, shuffling through the crowd alongside Jonghyun. 

 

"Hey! Minho hyung! Over here!" Taemin called happily. He was excited to see Minho. He waved his hands wildly. 

 

Minho lifted his head, smiling at first, until he saw who Taemin was with. Onew. Who just so happened to be one of Taemin's good friends who was tall and had brown hair. Just like that, jealousy bubbled up inside of him. And he dropped his head again, walking on through the crowd. 

 

" Minho, what are you doing? Taemin's over there." Jonghyun chuckled. 

 

"Just. Ignore. Him. I'm sure he's having plenty of fun with Onew." Minho growled, walking off in the opposite direction until Taemin could no longer see him. Taemin's shoulders slumped instantly, but he didn't give up. He gave chase to Minho and jumped onto his back. Usually, Minho would laugh and piggyback the younger to wherever he wanted to go, but instead, he shook the younger boy off, who fell to the ground with a thud. Onew, who had been following, saw what had happened. Puzzled, he watched from a distance. Minho was never this cold to Taemin. 

 

"Hyung, that really hurt." Taemin whined. "I just wanted a piggyback." 

 

"T-Taemin?" Minho suddenly whirred around, his eyes soft and worried. Jonghyun was surprised by his sudden change in emotion. One second terrifyingly angry, the next second soft and sensitive. Minho sighed as he crouched down next to Taemin and helped him up, Taemin wincing. "Are you okay, Taemin?"

 

"Yeah, I think so.."

 

"I'm sorry." Minho shook his head as he ran a hand through his own hair. "I didn't mean to hurt you Taemin, I'm just having a really bad day is all."

 

"I understand." Taemin smiled warmly, and Minho felt his heart melt. "If you want to talk about it, I'm here." Taemin opened his arms and gave Minho a hug, hoping it would make him feel a bit better. When they separated, Minho's usual smile had returned. "Well, I'm going to go find Key. I'll see you around, hyung!" 

 

"Yeah. See you!" Minho called. Taemin separated himself from Minho and disappeared into the crowd. Minho continued to smile. Jonghyun cast him a glance.

 

"Don't tell me you still legitimately believe that Taemin is in love with anyone but you." Jonghyun chuckled. 

 

"Oh I do." Minho replied. "And I think I know who it is too. The difference is, I'm over it now. Being friends with Taemin is good enough for me."

 

"Whatever you say, man." Jonghyun rolled his eyes and shrugged. 

 

~~~~~~

 

Taemin wormed his way through the crowd headed into the school, passing through the school doors and somehow finding his way to Key's locker. There stood his friend/loving umma, who leaned against the cool metal, studying last minute for a test second period from his textbook.

 

"Morning, umma." Taemin greeted quietly, trying not to disturb his friend's studies. Key didn't seem to care though, as he slammed the book shut and placed it back in his bag.

 

"Oh! Good morning, Taemin!" Key answered cheerily, collecting Taemin in his arms for a breif hug. "How have you been?

 

"Not the best." Taemin murmured. Key's face fell.

 

"What? why?" 

 

"I think Minho likes someone else." 

 

"Impossible!" Key declared. "How could he like anyone but my beautiful Taeminnie?"

 

"He told me so himself hyung." 

 

" What?" Key near-screeched. "I'm going to go have a word with him myself-"

 

"No, please don't!" Taemin cried, grabbing onto Key's sleeve. "Then he'll know that I like him!"

 

"And what would be wrong with that?" Countered Key. "You've liked him for what, a year now?"

 

"I.." Taemin dropped his head. "I'm just not ready yet hyung. "

 

Key's sigh was barely audible over the chime of the school bells. "Whatever you say, Taemin."

 

~

 

Lunch time came fast. Classes, as usual, whirred by, and for each of them, Minho and Taemin had been awkward towards each other, barely speaking to each other. Instead of spending lunch time with each other like they usually would, Minho went to play soccer and Taemin went to dance, leaving Jonghyun, Key, and Onew sitting alone at their lunch table, confused.

 

"Has anyone seen Minho and Taemin?" Onew asked, puzzled.

 

"Soccer and dance." Key sighed.

 

"What? They never go to practice at lunch." Onew retorted.

 

"They do now." Jonghyun cut in. "Minho thinks that Taemin likes Onew."

 

"What?" Onew near-screeched. "Taemin told me he likes Minho!"

 

"He does." Key muttered. " He thinks Minho likes someone else too."

 

"I'm so confused." Onew groaned, burying his face in his palms. "Who likes who?"

 

"Taemin and Minho like each other, but they think they like different people." Jonghyun clarified. 

 

"We have to do something," said Key seriously. 

 

"But what to do?" Jonghyun questioned.

 

"Well, if they weren't so oblivious, they'd probably be dating already." Key pointed out. "Maybe if we can get them to finally realize how much they love each other, they'll take a chance."

 

Murmurs of agreement rose from Jonghyun and Onew.

 

"Alright, good. But baby steps. We can't just run up to them and yell '2min hwaiting!' or they won't believe us."

 

"Cool."

 

"When do we start?"

 

Key smiled. "Tonight. Minho's soccer game."

 

 

-----------

 

A/N

Tohoho, the suspense. 

I hate writing cold 2min. So sad~

 

 

But it's okay. Everything will be okay in a couple chapters. Not like I would know I haven't written them yet.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT. EVEN YOU, SILENT READERS. YEAH YOU. JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T TALK DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T KNOW YOU EXIST YOU LITTLE NINJAS. 

But it's ok. I'm calm.