Reduce By Half

Spaghetti and Meatballs

“Hi everyone! I’m Baekhyun and today I will be making my favourite strawberry pavlova! It’s the perfect dessert to make since the strawberries are in season right now.” Baekhyun puts on his signature pastel blue apron, which was slightly oversized but it didn’t matter because he looked so cute. 

 

Baekhyun works as a food producer for Ktaste, a food content creating company in Korea. They are popular on instagram and youtube, churning out new recipe videos everyday. 

 

Baekhyun is one of the more popular food producers, his easy to follow recipes are always hitting at least a million views, and of course, because Baekhyun is so adorable. 

 

After spreading the meringue effortlessly and presenting it beautifully with fresh strawberries and icing sugar, Baekhyun was finally done with his creation, a beautiful strawberry pavlova - the perfect sweet treat. 

 

“Okay, I’m digging in. I can’t wait!” Baekhyun squealed, grabbing a fork and a plate to get a slice of his own creation.

 

“Mmmm, Baekhyunnie gives this a 10/10, because strawberries are my favourite!” Baekhyun gave a thumbs up as he chewed and savoured every bite of the sweet meringue, cheeks slowly fluffing up and becoming bigger with how many strawberries he was stuffing his face with.

 

“Please give this recipe a try! It’s Baekhyunnie approved! See you next week!” Baekhyun waved to the camera with his available palm, the other still unconsciously stuffing more dessert into his mouth. Baekhyun’s colleague cuts the video, and they’re officially done with filming for today.

 

“Nice one Baek, this recipe is so good.” Junmyeon complimented, earning a satisfied grin from the smaller, strawberries and cream slathered on his lips. All the staff were enjoying a piece of Baekhyun’s strawberry pavlova, the little chef felt proud about his creation.

 

“Thanks, Jun. I have high hopes for this dessert too.”

 

“Oh, by the way, the boss has an assignment for you next week. Do you know who Park Chanyeol is?” Junmyeon asks, handing over the file with the details for next week’s program. Baekhyun flips through the details in the file. Park Chanyeol is having his comeback soon, and one of his promotional events was to do a cooking livestream for his fans.

 

“Why did the boss choose me?” Baekhyun wonders, it is such an amazing opportunity, plus he’s sure that many people in their company were fans of Park Chanyeol.

 

“Their manager requested for someone who’s not a fan, because the cooking is actually the main point. And also, you’re the cutest member of our staff, nobody can resist you.” Junmyeon ruffles Baekhyun’s hair, causing the smaller to whine.

 

“I’m not cute! I’m a manly man!” Baekhyun took off his apron, trying to look as aggressive as he could. Baekhyun thought he was doing a good job, but honestly, he looks more like an angry puppy that has not been fed yet.

 

“Whatever you say, Baek. I’m sure that manly men love dressing their puppies up in tutus too.” Junmyeon teased, causing Baekhyun to let out an offended gasp.

 

“Jun! Don’t bring mongryong into this! And that is an insult to all the manly men in the world!”

 

-

 

Baekhyun wakes up bright and early that day, wearing his favourite apricot cream blouse and styling his hair nicely for the broadcast. After work, he walks into the entertainment company with wide eyes. It was so huge! As expected of Park Chanyeol, his debut had helped the company become well recognized, and his album sales were so high that this very building he was standing in was probably only a small proportion of their overall sales.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, right?”

 

Baekhyun turns around to see a man around his age. He quickly nods and is directed to his allocated venue.

 

“I’m Minseok, Chanyeol’s manager. The live stream will start at around 6pm, Chanyeol will be here soon after his fansign.”

 

“Ah, I see. Thank you for letting me know.” Baekhyun does a quick bow and starts preparing the ingredients. Apparently, spaghetti and meatballs were Chanyeol’s favourite, so Baekhyun begins weighing out the ingredients, pulling out all the bowls and plates needed for the recipe.

 

“Baekhyun-sshi, Chanyeol is here.”

 

Baekhyun looked up, and he almost forgot to breathe because of how stunning the man was. A perfect 1:1:1 ratio, his features were all in the right places, his eyes were so big and twinkly. Now Baekhyun understood why his colleagues always called Park Chanyeol the ideal boyfriend material.

 

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol.” The tall man reaches out his hand, looking down at the shorter.

 

“I’m Baekhyun. Nice to meet you.”

 

“Ah, Baekhyun-sshi, so what recipe are we going to make?”

 

“Spaghetti and meatballs.” Baekhyun responded with a gentle voice, still a little starstruck as it was his first time seeing a celebrity. 

 

“That’s my favourite, I can’t wait to get started!” Chanyeol said excitedly, clasping his hands together. Baekhyun smiled, thinking that this broadcast might be pretty fun with how enthusiastic the idol is.

 

-

 It doesn’t go that well.

 

Despite how handsome Chanyeol is, it’s just too bad that he’s way too clumsy.

 

Earlier in the broadcast, everything went smoothly, Baekhyun quickly explained the steps and elaborated on the ingredients needed. It was only until they started making their pasta from scratch, that Baekhyun decided to give the idol his first assignment.

 

“Chanyeol-sshi, can you help me knead the dough?”

 

“Sure, but I’m not very good at it though…” Chanyeol grabs the piece of pasta dough, Baekhyun gives him an encouraging smile as he prepares to knead the dough.

 

Slam!

 

Baekhyun flinched.

 

Slam!

 

Chanyeol threw the dough onto the wooden board, throwing it from such a tall height and down onto the table, making a loud slamming sound equivalent to a sharp stinging slap on the cheek. Baekhyun flinched once more as Chanyeol kneaded and punched the dough with so much passion, the air bubbles definitely won’t survive. If those air bubbles could speak, it would be a deafening scream.

 

“Chanyeol-sshi! Be gentle...be gentle…” Baekhyun quickly grabbed the dough from Chanyeol’s hands, giving the warm and deflated looking piece of dough a few comforting pats after saving it from the executioner.

 

“Come on, I’m sure there are other things you can do. Don’t give up, cooking is all about practice!”

 

-

 

Baekhyun wants to take back all he said right now.

 

“Y-You..You…” Baekhyun’s lips wobbled, he pointed a finger at the idol, in shock at how terrible he was at following instructions.

 

“Beakhyun-sshi, am I doing this right? The recipe said to reduce by half.” Chanyeol asks as he pours out half of the pasta sauce cluelessly, and switches the heat back on to cook the remaining half.

 

Baekhyun can’t take it anymore. He can’t tell if the idol is actually, genuinely just an airhead or if he is deliberately doing this for publicity. First, he almost killed their precious dough, and now, he was throwing away half the pasta sauce away. Who on earth would throw away precious pasta sauce after making it with so much time and effort! Was he being serious? 

 

“You...Oh My God! Reduce by half means evaporating half the original volume, not pouring away half the sauce, you idiot!”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Come here, you deserve a beating! It’s bad enough that you wasted food, and you can’t even remember my name properly! It’s Baekhyun, not Beakhyun!” Baekhyun grabs the idol by the ear and takes a clean wooden spatula, smacking the idol on the shoulder. It doesn’t hurt, but the idol whines. 

 

“Ah! Ouch!”

 

The camera crew gape at them in shock, they have no idea if they should continue the livestream or just cut it quickly. The director waves his hands, telling them to just continue. The two are not even cooking anymore, half the sauce had been poured away, the pasta is still being dried, and there is a very angry short man with an adorable pout smacking a tall and lanky handsome man.

 

@loeyismy1: kkkk I’m dying

 

@chanloey_heart: omg somebody screenshot this, I need this meme!

 

@xoxo_yeol: that’s our chanyeol! Poor Baekhyun hahaha

 

@921127CY: am I the only one who thinks they look good together?

 

“Keep rolling, the fans are loving it.” The staff smiled, looking at how the number of likes took a sharp increase and more and more comments were coming in. The camera crew took a breath of relief, they could finally watch the incident unfold before them with ease, it was way too amusing.

 

“Forget it, we’ll have to make another batch of pasta sauce. Simmer the leftover sauce and we’ll transfer it over to the new pot.” Baekhyun puts down the wooden spatula, grabbing more tomatoes from the fridge.

 

“What does simmer mean?”

 

“Oh my god.”

 

-

 

“And there, we have our spaghetti and meatballs! It’s so simple and easy to make! Even though we spent 2 hours making this please don’t misunderstand, it really is quick and easy! It will only take 2 hours if your cooking partner can’t follow instructions.” Baekhyun commented, glaring at Chanyeol as he grated some parmesan on the piping hot spaghetti and meatballs.

 

Chanyeol returned the favour with another glare.

 

“Okay, cameraman can we have a close-up please-” Baekhyun requested, wanting the audience to get a closer look at their creation.

 

But before the camera could even get a proper close-up of the dish, Chanyeol grabs his fork and stabs the meatballs with a smirk, ruining the presentation and digging in for a bite. All the camera could see now are split open meatballs and spaghetti which has lost its beautiful twirl.

 

“Chanyeol-sshi! My meatball…” Baekhyun gasps like a little child, his mouth wobbling as his perfectly round meatballs are now smushed and entering the devil’s mouth. Chanyeol is finding it so entertaining, enjoying the disheartened look on the smaller’s face as he continued eating.

 

“Sorry, I was just so hungry. But hey, it is really good! It’s not the presentation that matters, it’s the taste-”

 

“Shut up!”

 

-

 

“Baekhyun-sshi, thank you so much for being with us today, I’m sorry about Chanyeol’s behaviour, it’s his first time cooking and he doesn’t know much about food filming.” 

 

Minseok looked at the hurt puppy with an apologetic look, as the poor boy proceeded to fill his tupperware with the leftover spaghetti. Minseok nudged Chanyeol to apologize as well, but the idol was so distracted and amused by the little chef’s face, that he simply stood there with his head up high.

 

“My close-ups...and...and...he ate all the meatballs!” 

 

Baekhyun pouted, dumping more pasta into his own container. He was sure that they made at least seven or eight fist sized meatballs, and he was even planning to bring some home for dinner. But after the entire livestream, one or two were given to the camera crew, and the rest...they went into the idol’s stomach. What’s left for Baekhyun is plain spaghetti, and a little bit of sauce.

 

“Then make sure you bring more ingredients next time. I eat a lot, you know.” 

 

Chanyeol spoke up, his hand reaching out for another strand of pasta. Baekhyun uses his tongs to smack his hand away, he can’t risk having his last bit of food being taken away.

 

“I’m going to tell all your fans that you’re not human! After five huge meatballs and a bowl of pasta and you’re still taking other people’s food, what makes you think that there will be a next time!” Baekhyun complained, and this was the first time in his career when he wished that he was back in culinary school. Getting scolded by the head chef was definitely much better than getting teased by a terrible cook.

 

“I’m going, good luck for your comeback.” 

 

Baekhyun did a half-assed bow, walking out of the studio with hurried footsteps, though it looked more like waddling with how hard he was trying to balance his food on one shoulder and his equipment on the other. He looked like he was on the verge of falling.

 

“Hey, Minseok hyung. Tell the company that I’ll do anything they want me to. Give me a permanent cooking segment.”