Chapter 11

BloodTies

Henry took a turn for the worse as ZhouMi left the alley. The knife wound on his back was worse than the older boy had first thought, leaving a trail of blood along the snow. He headed in the opposite direction to the younger boy's house and spoke as Henrys grip around his neck loosened.

"Henry stay with me. We're not going home, im taking you to the hospital. Just stay with me" He heard the younger boy mumble something before he coughed up blood and his eyes fluttered closed.
ZhouMi shifted his hold on Henry as the younger boy lost consciousness. He placed a hand over the knife wound, trying to slow down the blood loss, before running as fast as he could to the hospital.

They were there within minutes and ZhouMi kicked open the doors to the emergency department, he seemed to be looking for someone in particular.

"May I help you sir?" a voice came from behind the reception desk before the woman looked up.
"Oh my…Can we have some help over here please?" the nurse shouted as she saw the lifeless and bleeding boy. ZhouMi hissed and bared his fangs, warning off the young female.

"Where is Dr Kim? No one is to touch this boy but him"

"V…v…vampires. I'll call him at once" the nurse stuttered as she picked up the phone with a trembling hand and asked Dr Kim to come urgently.
A young doctor exited the elevator and rushed over to ZhouMi. He had black hair, cut to the bottom of his neck and glasses framing his dark brown eyes, making him look older than he actually was.

"Kibum you have to help me"

"ZhouMi Hyung!  Of course! Please follow me." The young doctor entered a private room off the side of the emergency ward with ZhouMi close behind.
"What happened?"

"He was attacked. He has a knife wound at the bottom of his back, it won't stop bleeding. I was going to take him home, but he's lost so much blood, and I don't know what damage has been done. His legs wouldn't support him, I don't know if it's because of the blood loss or whether his spine is damaged" ZhouMi had worry in his voice as he led Henry on his stomach on the bed.

"I will look after him don't worry. What is his name? Is he like you?" Kibum asked as he removed the young boys shirt and jacket to inspect the wound.

"Henry…His name is Henry. And yes he is a vampire." ZhouMi's hands were trembling as Kibum handed him the boys clothing.
"He has only been a vampire for a short time, im worried that he won't be able to heal fast enough. He cannot die Kibum I cannot let that happen"

"He won't die ZhouMi Hyung, I promise you that. He is going to need surgery on his back. I can't tell what the damage is until I have stopped the bleed. Excuse me a moment. He will be alright, don't worry." He smiled before leaving the room.

***

ZhouMi paced the private room anxiously once Henry had been taken into surgery, wondering how to tell Leeteuk what had happened to the youngest boy in his family. He sat on the chair in the corner of the room and ran is fingers through his hair, when he heard a quiet buzz from the young boy's violin case. He opened the case, revealing Henrys cell phone, freezing momentarily when he saw the name on the screen. 'Teukie Hyung'.
He exhaled to calm himself before accepting the call and holding the phone to his ear.

"Henry its 2am where the hell are you? Why haven't you answered any of my calls, do you have any idea how worried we have all been!"

"Leeteuk…its ZhouMi" his voice was shaky, terrified of telling his ex-lover about Henry.

"ZhouMi? Why do you have Henrys phone? W…where is he"

"He…He's in the hospital. He was attacked, I think he was on his way home, I don't know. I was going to bring him home but…Leeteuk you need to get here" he blinked sending tears tumbling down his face. Leeteuk's voiced changed from a shout to a quiet whisper as he was obviously now in tears.

"I'll… Im on my way"

"I wouldn't rush… He is in surgery at the moment, but he is in good hands."

"Ne… I'll be there soon"
ZhouMi sighed as the phone went dead. It was going to be a long night.

******

ZhouMi was sat in Henrys room, waiting with his head in his hands, when he heard Leeteuk out in reception with an obvious panic in his voice

"Im looking for Henry Lau, can you tell me when he is".

"Name please. Are you family?" the receptionist asked.

"Yes im family! Now tell me where he is!" he hissed, scaring the young nurse.
ZhouMi walked out of the room rubbing the back of his neck.

"Leeteuk in here" he said calmly. The younger boy turned around and froze. ZhouMi's clothes were soaked red with Henrys blood. On the one day he decided to wear white.
Leeteuk stumbled over on his crutches and into the older boys embrace, breaking down in his arms, not caring about the blood.

The two of them entered the room and sat down. Leeteuk picked up Henrys bloody and torn shirt, holding it close to his chest.

"Mimi… what happened" he was trembling as he sobbed into the older boys chest. For the first time in his life ZhouMi didn't know how to make the love of his life feel better, instead he just held him tightly and sighed.

"I was on my way home from my nightly walk. I heard struggling, I ignored it at first but… but then I heard a scream. They ran when they I got there so I didn't get a look at them. I recognised him from your house. He wouldn't let me near him until I told him who I was and then he let me help him. I was planning on taking him home, letting Yesung heal him. The knife wound combined with the multiple bite marks he has, he lost too much blood and passed out. I had no choice but to bring him here."

"Wait…Bite marks? Vampires did this… Oh god they didn't…" Leeteuk couldn't get the words out, but ZhouMi knew what he was trying to say and squeezed the younger boys hand tightly.

"No they didn't. I've read the newspaper. It is the same two, but they didn't him…I got there in time to at least stop that."

"Thank you. You have no idea how grateful I am that you were there, that you came back. I don't think I could ever repay you for this."

"You don't need to. I couldn't let them violate him. I couldn't leave him there to die." He cuddled Leeteuk tightly as he wiped his tears.

"Although…" he giggled and whispered something in the younger boy's ear. Leeteuk's jaw fell open and he slapped ZhouMi's thigh.

"Behave" he smiled and wrapped his arms around ZhouMi's waist.
ZhouMi chuckled and glanced down at the boy's bandaged ankle.

"So im guessing from the crutches, your ankle is broken?"

"Ne…Yesung couldn't heal it. It's broken in two places. They set the bones and made sure I couldn't move it. It will only take a couple of days to heal."

"You are such an accident prone" the both of them smiled before Leeteuk let out a sigh.

Just as he was about to speak the door opened and Henry was brought back in the room.
ZhouMi covered Leeteuk's eyes with his hand upon seeing the young boy, fearing his reaction.

"Mimi stop it let go, I… I need to see him" he pulled away the older boys hand as it relaxed.

He froze when his eyes landed on Henry.
The youngest boy was lying on his side with both of his hands near his face. He was dressed in gray sweatpants with bandages wrapped around multiple parts of his body. His neck where the bite wounds were, his wrists where the handcuffs had been and he had a small dressing on the mark on his hip. But the biggest was the one that wrapped around his torso and back.

"Oh Mochi…" tears fell down Leeteuk's cheeks as he the young boys head.

Dr Kim entered the room, cleaning his hands with disinfectant before checking Henry over.

"The surgery went well. We pinpointed and stopped the bleed in his back. The blade cut through an artery, which is why he lost so much blood. There was also a small cut in his spine, we don't know if it has caused any damage however. We won't know until he wakes up."

Leeteuk held Henrys hand tightly as ZhouMi spoke to Kibum.

"We managed to remove the handcuffs but his wrists were cut up pretty bad. We can't do anything more now he just needs to rest and recover."

"What anaesthetic did you use? It doesn't usually work on vampires" ZhouMi asked quietly.
Kibum just shook his head.

"We didn't. He just hasn't regained consciousness yet, which we are grateful for. The surgery would have been impossible if he were awake."

"What's the oxygen mask for?" Leeteuk asked as he the boy's cheek.

"I know he doesn't need it but it will help to oxygenate his blood. Im hoping it will increase his healing time. He is incredibly weak and if he doesn't start healing soon, if there is damage to his spine, he may not recover from it. He lost so much of his own blood we have to give him donor blood, we don't know how long before he wakes up. We just have to pray for him right now."

Leeteuk nodded "Thank you doctor. Thank you for helping him."
Kibum smiled at the vampire as he placed a needle in Henrys hand and hooked it up to a new blood bag. Once the blood had started flowing down the tube he bowed and left the room.

"Mimi I hate seeing him like this. Whenever I touch him I have to fight the images from entering my head. I can't see that…I can't see what they did to him" he was shaking once again as ZhouMi pulled him into his chest.

"It's alright my angel. Everything's going to be alright I promise"

******

Leeteuk was fast asleep with his head on the bed next to Henry. It was late in the morning and the two older boys were exhausted from being up all night waiting for him to regain consciousness.

Henry felt a hand holding tightly onto his as he slowly opened his eyes. His body ached all over and any attempt at moving was met with pain. He squeezed the hand as hard as he could, the slight pressure caused Leeteuk to wake from his slumber and raise his head.

"Henry you're awake" he smiled and blinked back his tears as he kissed the back of Henrys hand softly.

"W…where am I? What happened" He whispered, letting his eyes fall closed once again.

"You're in the hospital. Your safe now, don't worry."

"ZhouMi Hyung…." He mumbled as he tried to raise his head, with little success.

"He's here don't worry, he's sleeping." Leeteuk moved slightly so the young boy could see the older vampire. Henry opened his eyes and saw ZhouMi asleep on the chair behind Leeteuk. He smiled and squeezed his brother's hand once again.
"He hasn't left your side since he found you. Henry I…Im sorry, I shouldn't have let you go out alone"

"It's…not your…fault" he sighed and looked at the bandages around his wrists.
"They broke my violin…"

"Don't worry we'll fix it. You will be playing again before you know it" Leeteuk smiled and kissed the young boy's forehead as Kibum entered the room and bowed.

"I've come to check on him before I go home. Is he awake yet?" Leeteuk smiled and nodded

"Ne for a few minutes now. He was a little confused at first, but I think he is alright"
Kibum walked around behind Henry to check his back, the young boy flinched at the doctors touch as he checked the wound wasn't bleeding through the bandages.

"It's alright Henry he's not going to hurt you" Leeteuk smiled, reassuring his young brother. Henrys eyes closed and he smiled slightly, playing with the older boys fingers.

"Henry can you move your legs for me?" Kibum asked as he felt the bottom of the younger boy's spine, just below the knife wound. Henry squeezed his eyes shut tightly at the pain that shot through his back as he tried moving his legs.

"It hurts… it feels like someone is sat on them" He pushed through the pain and moved his legs slightly, before letting them relax again.

"It's alright Henry that's all I needed. You can move your legs so your spine isn't damaged, the heaviness will wear off as soon as your body starts to heal. You just need to rest." He smiled, noticing the sleeping vampire in the corner of the room.

"I'll leave you in the care of your brother, and ZhouMi of course. I'll be back tomorrow night." Leeteuk smiled, releasing Henrys hand he stood up and took the doctors hand in his.

"Thank you so much for everything. I will never forget how kind you have been"

"You are welcome Leeteuk. And it is my job after all"

"Yes but your job is to take care of the living….." Kibum chuckled as Leeteuk released his hand.

"I have no problem with vampires, especially when they are like family to me. I will see you all tomorrow" he bowed and exited the room.

ZhouMi awoke and smiled as he saw that Henry was awake. He stretched.

"Good morning" he smiled as he walked over to the bed. Henry opened his eyes and smiled.

"I need to go home and explain everything to the others. Will you be alright to stay with him while I am gone Mimi?" Leeteuk asked as he ran his fingers through Henrys hair.

"I will don't worry, im not planning on going anywhere, as long as Henry needs me."

"ZhouMi Hyung" Henry smiled and reached out his hand for the oldest boy to take.

"Good morning sleeping beauty how are you feeling?" Henry simply frowned before Leeteuk spoke.

"I'll be back soon Henry. Mimi will look after you don't worry." He blew the young boy a kiss and set off back home.

******

It was 11am when Leeteuk arrived at the house. He had traces of Henrys blood on his jacket from ZhouMi's clothing, so he removed it before letting himself in. He threw the jacket onto the chair next to the door and was greeted by Kyuhyun.

"Teukie Hyung where have you been all night? And where is Henry, he still isn't home"
he handed the older boy a cup of coffee and sat on the sofa.

"Kyuhyun where are the others?"

"Minnie just got out of the shower, Donghae and Hyukkie are in their room, Uncle is in the kitchen and that boyfriend of yours is in bed…I think. Why? And why do you look like you're about to cry?"

Leeteuk blinked and tears fell down his cheeks. He covered his face with his hands, desperately trying to fight the losing battle against his own sadness, as Kyuhyun ran over and wrapped his arms around tightly around the older boy's chest.  

"Teukie Hyung don't cry. Is this because Henry isn't home? Im sure he's fine"

"He isn't Kyuhyun, he really isn't." he pulled away and wiped his eyes, regaining his composure.
"Yah go and tell everyone I need to speak to them. If they refuse just tell them now"

Kyuhyun nodded silently and ran upstairs to gather everyone.
Everyone was downstairs and in the living room within minutes accept for Sungmin, who was in the process of getting dressed. Kyuhyun resorted to picking his shirtless boyfriend up over his shoulder and carrying him downstairs.

"Yah Kyuhyun let me go!" he protested as he was carried into the living room. He stopped complaining when he saw Leeteuk, who was sat on the sofa in tears with Kangin's arms wrapped around him.

"It's about Henry…" the older boy sighed before explaining everything to the rest of the family, stopping several times to compose himself before continuing.
By the time he had finished the room was silent, nobody knew what to say, or couldn't say it through their tears. Kyuhyun wiped his eyes and spoke.

"Teukie Hyung…Can we go and see him?" Leeteuk shook his head.

"Not today. He isn't up for visitors, I don't really think he knew what was happening when we woke up. He just wanted ZhouMi" Sungmin scoffed at the mention of Leeteuk's Ex.

"Sungmin grow up! He saved Henrys life last night. If it wasn't for him Henry would be dead! So grow the up! If Kyuhyun can live under the same roof as Kangin after all that has happened between them then im sure you can be civil with ZhouMi"
Everyone turned to look at Leeteuk, shocked to see that reaction coming from their usually calm leader. Sungmin ran his fingers through his now short black hair and sighed.

"You're right brother, im sorry… Henry is alive because of him, that's all that matters"

"Minnie come outside with me?" Kyuhyun smiled and stuck out his hand, which Sungmin took with no hesitation.
Sungmin sat on the bench in the garden and Kyuhyun climbed onto his lap, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend and nuzzling his neck.

"Don't worry about Teukie, he's just worried, he didn't mean it im sure." Kyuhyun whispered as he kissed Sungmin's neck. Sungmin ran his fingers up his boyfriends back and sighed.

"He meant it. I saw it in his eyes. He's right, the past is the past and I need to focus on the future. Our future" he smiled and rubbed his nose against Kyuhyun's, earning a giggle from the younger boy.

"I hate that we can't go to see Henry. But I guess it proves how bad he was hurt" Kyuhyun blinked, releasing his tears before resting his head on Sungmin's shoulder.

"We could see if Leeteuk will let us go with him. Even if it's just to give Henry a hug. I know you are closer to him than the rest of us"
At that moment Leeteuk walked out of the house with a bag of Henrys things to take to the hospital. He looked over at the two sat on the bench, his expression was soft but still sad. He smiled slightly and held out his hand.

"Come on don't cry. Henry wouldn't want to see his best friend sad. Sungmin you can come on the condition that you do not start anything with ZhouMi"
Kyuhyun grinned and wiped his eyes before pulling Sungmin up off the bench and over to the car.

"He promises Teukie Hyung! If not he will have me to deal with" he giggled as Sungmin shook his head.

"And you say Donghae and Hyukjae are childish. I promise Brother. Henry comes first right now"

******

When they arrived at the hospital ZhouMi was pacing the hallway outside Henrys room, his arms were folded in front of his chest and he was chewing his thumbnail anxiously.

"Mimi what happened? Where is Henry?" Leeteuk asked, noticing the door was closed.

"He's in his room. They took him for an X-ray earlier. He was crying, saying his back was hurting. I've been waiting out here for 10 minutes. They told me that everything's alright it was just a trapped nerve."

"So why is the door closed? Why can't we see him?" Leeteuk asked with panic in his voice.

"They are changing the bandages on his back. Don't worry he's alright" he pulled Leeteuk close and held him tight as the angelic boy started to cry. The door opened and a nurse left the room.

"You are okay to see him now" he smiled as Leeteuk ran in past her.
Kyuhyun held Sungmin's hand tight as he fought back his tears.

"Minnie…I can't do this I want to go home, I can't…I can't see him like this"

"Kyuhyun it's alright. You can do this." he turned to face his boyfriend, looking him in the eyes.
"Its Henry, im sure he would love to see you! It might make him feel better" the younger boy smiled and nodded before turning towards the door, where ZhouMi was stood with a smirk on his face.

"Hello Sungmin. It's good to see you again" Sungmin choked back a growl, tightening his grip on Kyuhyun's hand.

"You too ZhouMi Hyung" He pulled Kyuhyun past the smirking vampire and into Henrys room.

"Henry, Kyuhyun and Sungmin are here to see you" Leeteuk smiled, moving away from the bed so Kyuhyun could sit down in front of his best friend. Henry smiled and opened his eyes as Kyuhyun held his hand.

"Kyuhyun Hyung. Im glad you came"

"Of course I couldn't not come to see you, don't be silly. Hold up your hand." He smiled at his best friend as the young boy raised his hand weakly.
Henry smiled happily for the first time of the day as Kyuhyun touched his fingertips to his before pulling them away, leaving sparks between their fingers.

"Show off" he giggled as Kyuhyun continued to use his magic to cheer the young boy up.

Leeteuk, ZhouMi, Sungmin and Kyuhyun spent the rest of the day with Henry at the hospital and before they knew it Dr Kim was starting his shift, checking on the young boy once again.

"How is my favourite patient tonight?" he asked as he entered Henrys room.
"I didn't realise you were so popular Henry im sorry to ruin the moment" he smiled as Kyuhyun moved away from the bed.

"Im alright, Feeling a little better" He smiled as the doctor checked his back.

While Kibum checked Henry over Kyuhyun cuddled up to Sungmin, who was sat at the end of the room next to Leeteuk.

"Are you alright Kyuhyun?" Sungmin asked as he wrapped his arm around his boyfriend.

"Ne…Im glad I came to see him. He is going to be alright, I can feel it." He sighed happily as his eyes fell closed and he drifted off to sleep, happy in Sungmin's arms in the knowledge that his best friend was going to be alright.