Chapter 14 - Paths

Until spring comes again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clock was ticking.

Tzuyu had already arrived home when they gave up. They had no idea how to find Jeongyeon.

Specifically, Sana was with her head resting on the table between some papers, playing with the ends of the files, while YoungJae and Mina watched the surveillance-cam from near the club for the nth time, and honestly Mina had no doubt that most frames were manipulated by some sort of illusionary spell to make Jeongyeon look guilty since the beginning.

Meanwhile, Tzuyu decided to approach them. She already had some idea about what was happening, after all, they looked defeated.

"Any luck?" She asked nonetheless.

"No" YoungJae shook his head.

"What if she's... already dead?" Tzuyu wondered aloud. She isn't one to lose hope but let's just say she's straightforward.

"What if she isn't?" Mina lazily said back, she started stretching her arms and briefly eyed Sana.

"How would you know?" Tzuyu asked curious. Sana was now fixing her hair and more awake but still distracted, listening.

"It makes more sense to let her alive." Mina explained.

"I have faith. We have" Sana stated, smiling a bit, blinking slowly and initiating to check the files one more time, she thought if she started over, it could be any missing information.

"I guess you're right"

Tzuyu crossed her arms, she could see they weren't giving up, not really, and so she tried to picture a way to help.

"Can't you use magic to find her?" She asked after wondering.

Mina let a breath in the intense silence. They need to see other perspectives.

"Actually, we can" Mina answered that, she looked at Sana, both girls stared at each other as if they thought about a great idea at the same time.

"It's too dangerous" Mina completed breaking the mysterious atmosphere. Well, every magic is somewhat risky.

"Tell me what is dangerous" YoungJae said closing his laptop and fully concentrating.

Tzuyu smiled.

"Warn me if it works." She said walking away.

In fact, Mina had already thought about using spells several times and yes, it was her first idea but they weren't so desperate before, seeing until the moment, they kind of were now. If only they had more resources, Sana knew what she meant. She knew it was a difficulty step.

"A tracking spell" Mina said in the heavy air.

"Can you tell where she is?" YoungJae asked surprised.

"Yes and no" Mina answered.

"The precision of the location depends of the strength of the spell, and with just the two of us it's too much" She completed.

"Oh" YoungJae said crossing his arms.

"It's usually made for at least four people." Sana said serious.

"And besides, we can't, magic that invades private barriers are considered forbidden. People are usually arrested after the spell. We can't use it without being discovered. And they'll also know it was us so it's possible they'll want to deal with it personally" Mina said, biting her lower lip and thinking a lot, Mina was always a person to see the big picture before others do.

The detective still had a confused look, so Mina preferred to explain him that inside their magic community they had some common rules, things had to be controlled to certain degree of magical uses or else chaos would be made. Some unlimited or even limited spells could be 'illegal' magic and were currently being tracked by the highest level of people using magic itself, as a web or a chain that linked every type of magic or developers of ability, for example as Mina that can hypnotize, since is her ability it's not 'illegal' but if not, the culprit must be judged by its use. The problem was, for their situation, a tracking spell was easily discovered and besides, most of that families that have access to such extended knowledge were actually working with the bad guys, that's why the same had some sort of immunity, the cult practically commanded the board that decides who's going to be judged or even arrested. It was unfortunate and unfair, that's how much powerful they were becoming.

"They probably used the same spell to find us before, a tracking spell can be stopped by a blocking barrier, like the one we have and if they're using as well, it wouldn't work" Mina had already given up from the sudden discovery.

YoungJae didn't expect to have an idea when it had to be with the magical subject, he was distractively staring at the table and absorbing the things they told him.

"So, if you use the spell to find them, they will find you because of the spell... I think I have a way to make it work" YoungJae said nervously taping the table. Mina eyed him with curiosity. Sana widened her eyes with the unexpected piece of hope.

"How?" She asked.

"A trap, we can find Yoo Jeongyeon and they can find us at the same time." YoungJae said with a wide grin. Something clicked inside Sana's brain, realization she guessed.

"It can work" Sana said happily and waving her hands excitedly in the air, she could hug YoungJae of happiness.

"Wait, wait, where are we going to do that and how can just the two of us manage to do it?" Mina asked still not sure.

"The police has a lot of hidden facilities to hold evidence, it's super secured, we can attract them there and BAM!" YoungJae said also excited.

"I guess you're right." Mina said looking down thinking about any complications. It was obvious. She eyed her injured leg.

"I can't go unless you have a wheeled chair." She said serious.

"I can get one!" Tzuyu yelled from the other room, all this time she was listening to them while doing her things, and then she joined the others.

"Ah, I can fix your leg Mina" Sana said snapping her fingers as if she had a brilliant idea.

"No"

"No"

Mina and Tzuyu said at the same time, they were suspiciously eyed.

"Why not? I rested the whole night." Sana asked but she knew. 

"I don't want more patients. We don't need you unconscious or screaming like last night." Tzuyu said.

"I can do it" Sana insisted. Mina shook her head.

"You need your magic to do the spell, I can figure out how to live like this." Mina said.

"It wasn't that bad. Your leg will be healed in another three weeks" Tzuyu thought it was better to let them know. Mina frowned just a little, she wanted to help, it was her duty.

"I can arrange everything today. I just need a minute to do some phone calls." YoungJae said, Sana put her hand up and they did a high five, Mina looked weirdly at them, but then decided to join their excitement.

"We can do this" Sana said staring her friend in the eyes, reassuring her, Mina was always the careful one but when Sana said like that, she couldn't deny and the idea seemed to work.

"Leave me out of this, I have to work" Tzuyu said walking away again and waving her hand.

"Tzuyu! We need your help" Sana said making puppy eyes.

"... No, I don't see any advantages, call me if you need someone to stitch you up" Tzuyu said with a poker face. Sana was about to follow her but Mina called her.

"Let her be" She said because for that little time they were together she can tell that Tzuyu wasn't easy to be convinced.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

The more hidden place that YoungJae could find, a small building with a cracking floor, a bunch of boxes and high security, he had to ask favors to be able to access the passwords and had to make a really good excuse to enter there. It took fifteen minutes to do the plan, another forty to get in the place. YoungJae drove in full speed, Sana was more than thankful for his help, Mina was running a bunch of things that could go wrong in her mind and Tzuyu was fast enough to go to the hospital and come back with a wheeled chair so Mina didn't have to walk with crutches. Silence made presence between them, of thoughtful ideas and needless worried words, Mina was required, her hypnotic ability would be necessary to make the guards go away, what they didn't need was more people getting in the crossed fire.

Sana smiled to her friend. She always did regardless the situation. Mina wasn't that convinced but once she did her thing to get rid of the easily fooled police officers they walked into a small area surrounded by dusty shelves protected by plastic sheets and objects filling cardboard boxes. For what it looked like, YoungJae had found the most distinct police building, the walls were thick black, it seemed abandoned and full of unowned things. For what it mattered, the logistics of their plans seemed to encounter that place correctly, they thought about setting their said trap and the police would do the rest to try to arrested whoever came to look for them to cause conflict.

Mostly preoccupied, Mina seemed to go away of the world when she only focused in presenting her magic in the area, chanting and spelling, faint white glows were created by her magic, and Sana was guiding her along the shelves while YoungJae pushed some of them to get the center of the room clear.

Both girls had already learned that dealing with the evil cult always came with a surprise or unexpected failures but yet they looked through their powers with a positive mind. The thing was, Mina couldn't expect that Sana had other plans, the older girl is quite stubborn and Mina would do everything to protect Sana, she was her only family left.

"I'm done" YoungJae screamed from the distance.

"We too" Sana screamed back, she and Mina set magic timers. They would activate to provoke noises of explosions when the enemies arrive. They also prepared a bunch of small duration trapping circles just to scare and actually explosive runes for those that dared to adventure.

The detective wiped the sweat of his forehead, black hair hanging from both sides of his forehead as he sighed, hands on his waist as he eyed their work well done. Sana pushed Mina to the center of the area for both to get ready and do the difficult spell. They didn't need any circles for that one, just an area and a way to write the location or whatever close place they could get by it, the spell highly depended of their magical strength and they were confident, especially Sana, that closed her eyes when she felt her heart racing a bit. Sana sat down on the floor in front of Mina, they just needed to join both hands and start the spell.

"Wait" Sana got up again and that startled both of them.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" She said to YoungJae, the guy confusedly raised an eyebrow.

"Sure" He said, the detective was outside the perimeter and leaning on some shelves, Sana approached him but she didn't want Mina to hear their conversation and that was a bit suspicious.

"Can I borrow your phone? You have Tzuyu's number, right?" Sana asked the guy and indeed, Mina couldn't hear them from the distance, the latter seemed too distracted remembering how to do the spell correctly.

"Here"

"Thanks"

It took two tries for Tzuyu to answer her phone.

"What happened?" She already started asking.

"Nothing" Sana said quickly.

"So, what's wrong?"

"I need you to come here"

Tzuyu face palmed but them she realized that she couldn't see her.

"Why? I'm working." She said because she was at the hospital that hour.

"It's Mina. I need you to take her home." Sana asked making her most pleading voice.

"What? I can't" Tzuyu said.

"Please Tzuyu, I don't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter