Moonlit - End

To Infinity and Beyond

“Kim Jinwoo-ssi?” It’s a tall soldier, but his face is such baby face, he can’t be anywhere older than 25 years old. Reminds him of Seungyoon. Jinwoo nods politely as he reaches out for the yogurt. More and more people recognized him in the camp - which is kind of nice reminder for Jinwoo of the life he has outside the camp. 

“Kim Jinwoo-ssi.... maybe.. maybe you want to check the rest room tonight... midnight.” The kid mutters softly, but loud enough for Jinwoo to hear it. He wants to ask question but the kid is gone. Kim Jinwoo is confused - what’s going on?

Midnight, 00.00

Jinwoo is quite sleepy - his body is aching all over and taking hot shower before bed makes his muscles relax and his eyelids heavy. As lights out at 10 PM, Jinwoo really wants to just go to deep sleep - but he’s scared what if he doesn’t wake up at midnight. As much as Kim Jinwoo overthinks - there’s many different scenarios playing in his head - what if there are seniors want to beat him up - what if there are higher officials want to get him to do things - but his curiosity finally wins. So Jinwoo actually been fighting his sleepiness as he watches the digital clock in his hands. Right on midnight, Jinwoo slowly and quietly wakes up and walks out, to the restroom. He curses himself as he didn’t ask which one - but Jinwoo is just going to test his luck with the ones next to dining hall. He walks slowly and carefully, doesn’t want to make any sound that will attract attention.

The night is clear with the silver of moon lit the empty field they used to march in the morning. Jinwoo stops for a while and looks up to the sky, admiring the moon - and enjoying the small luxury, he doesn’t have much liberty these days to look up to the sky. He inhales the air - smells of wild grass and a faint scent of spring breeze - before continuing his walk to restroom. 

The rest room is brightly lit, but it’s damn quiet and empty. Jinwoo looks around and curses himself - what is he doing really. He’s about to walk when a familiar voice stop him.

“Jeil meonjeo dagawa nal gamssaneun neo....”*

The familiar voice hums a familiar melody. 

“... Hi.”

Jinwoo turns his back to find no other than Seunghoon, standing relaxedly leaning against the wall, with his usual playful smile that Jinwoo likes very much. Seunghoon holds up his hands and waving, despite their distance is only few feet away. 

“... Jinwoo Hyung, hi.” Seunghoon smiles brightly as he walks over to Jinwoo, his arms already open wide, wanting to embrace his Hyung. Jinwoo lets himself being hugged as he lets out a sigh - a relieved, and content one - he misses Seunghoon so much. He misses the warmth, he misses feeling safe, he misses Seunghoon.

“Seunghoona... how did you get here?”

“What do you mean Hyung, same as you. I sneaked out my bed.” Seunghoon is now busy looking at Jinwoo from head to toe. “Hyung! What happened, why are your arms full of bruises?”

Jinwoo laughs, his heart is filled with warmth hearing the concerned tone in Seunghoon’s voice. He shifts his gaze at Seunghoon now, analyzing every inch of Seunghoon’s. His bald head is not a new look - since Seunghoon already did it since SOSO era - but overall Seunghoon looks okay, just tired, the dark circle under his eyes are visible. A little bit thinner judging from his protruding bone cheek. But overall he looks fine.

“I’m okay, Seunghoon. You’ll get it too, it’s okay.” Jinwoo answers as he stares at Seunghoon’s neck and shoulder area. “Do they hurt again?”

Seunghoon shakes his hands. “I’m okay, Hyung, I swear.”

“So.”

“So....” Seunghoon is rendered speechless for a moment - he didn’t expect meeting his Jinwoo hyung will be this emotional. “It seems like we’re trainee again, Hyung. 6 years after debut and here we are back being trainee.” Seunghoon kinda giggles. “Only with less hair now.”

Jinwoo laughs at Seunghoon’s silly remarks, their life as a trainee flashes back before his eyes. It’s midnight, when they were trainee they’re usually still in the practice room, especially Jinwoo, trying to get the choreography right. And Seunghoon almost always came with him, guiding and helping Jinwoo with his dance. They would train until 2 or 3 AM then they would go home and sleep. Jinwoo actually could keep going, but he always felt bad seeing Seunghoon’s trying to fight back his fatigue since Seunghoon is used to a “normal schedule” train all day, sleep during the night. And of course Jinwoo couldn’t let Seunghoon walk home alone in such sleepy state so they would walk slowly along the bricked pedestrian of Mapo, the streets were bright, bathed in the silver kiss from the moonlit. They would walk together, enjoying the silence and quietness of the otherwise jam-packed street during daylight. It was such a precious memory for Jinwoo that he treasures so much.

“How are you holding up?” Jinwoo murmurs softly, looking straight into Seunghoon’s eyes.

“I’m okay, Hyung.” Seunghoon massages his own arms lightly as he speaks. “They said the first week is the hardest so I kind of expected it.”

Jinwoo smiles. “Yeah, even I cried.”

Seunghoon laughs. “I know. Mino accidentally spilled it on radio and Seungyoon threw a fit, because he said you were fine the week before. It was funny...” Seunghoon remembers that scene, Seungyoon was sulky for a few hours after that Seunghoon had to get ice cream to get rid of his pout. “The fans reaction was no joke though Hyung. I went to Twitter short after and everybody was putting crying emoji and wailing in their tweet.”

“Ahh Mino... ahh why...” Jinwoo groans, but deep down he doesn’t really care - he’s been crying so much prior to enlistment his fans actually should get used to it by now. “That kid.”

“Hyung. Should we chat outside? The night is clear, I wanna see the moon.” Seunghoon surprises himself by asking that - because the chance of them getting caught is higher of course and it’s just a bold move to do - foolish almost. But Jinwoo agrees and nods. “Let’s go. It’s stuffy here.”

So they both sneaks out from the restroom, and lightly thread in the dark shadow, holding their breath not to get caught. Seunghoon leads them into a small podium where the commander usually give speech in the morning, when they sit down and lean their back against the podium they can’t be seen unless people are walking in the field across them. So they sit together, Seunghoon’s hands playing with the grass while Jinwoo busy looking up to the vast sky.

“Seunghoona.”

“Yes, Hyung.”

“Do you think our fans will forget us?”

Seunghoon hesitates to answer, he ends up looking up to sky as well.

“I think our Inseos are stronger than we credit them for, Hyung.” He hums softly. “I know for sure they will keep on living their life, pursue their career, get married, and everything. I think they will cry because they miss us from time to time. I think after a while - maybe months from now - if they don’t get updates on us they will slowly shift their focus, maybe to other groups, maybe to their own life. But I think... I think when the time comes when we four can be on stage again. They will not hesitate to run back to us again. They are devoted to us.”

Jinwoo nods. “I don’t deserve them, Seunghoon.”

Seunghoon nudges Jinwoo playfully. “You are so loved, Hyung. You deserve all the love, but yes, we are blessed with such great fans. We’re lucky.”

Jinwoo laughs. “You’ve done a great job taking care of them too Seunghoona.”

“I think we’ll be okay, Hyung.”

“I know.”

They stay silent for a couple minutes after that, immersing themselves in such a rare moment of freedom in the camp. Seunghoon glances at his watch - a gift from Zzin PD - it’s almost 1AM and they need to get back, before they risk getting caught even longer.

The two sneaks back into the dark hallway nearby the restroom, that’s where they will separate and go back to their respective unit. They stay silent until Jinwoo grabs Seunghoon’s hands and squeeze it, sending a comforting energy throughout Seunghoon’s entire body.

“Hold out a bit okay Seunghoona? Take care of your body. If your neck or spine or waist hurt, let them know immediately. Eat your meal, you need the energy. Okay?”

Seunghoon nods, his heart is full of warmth from Jinwoo’s care. This is why Jinwoo is beautiful - he’s beautiful from the heart. “I understand, Hyung, arasseo.”

“Okay. I’ll go back now...” Jinwoo is about to turn his back when Seunghoon suddenly goes into his salute gesture.

“중성!Chungseong!” 

Jinwoo smiles and turns back to face Seunghoon, and give his salute back.

“중성!Chungseong! Good night, Lee Seunghoon."

 

*lyrics from WINNER - Air