Moonlit

To Infinity and Beyond

Jinwoo sighs.

It’s his 3rd week in the military and while he adapts better now, it doesn’t necessarily mean easier. 

Living in camp for military training is certainly something he was so nervous about enlistment. Jinwoo generally has good endurance and strength - especially compared to his three brothers - but physical training in military is a whole different thing. His whole body aches the first whole week, he can’t sleep because his back is hurting so much, but later he got used to the pain and just kind of numb it out. He got bruises here and there covering his flawless skin, but he doesn’t really mind, those bruises only hurt when he or presses against it. Yoon also bruises easily, Jinwoo thought for himself.

Ah... Seungyoonie. How is the kid doing. Jinwoo recalls his last time seeing Seungyoon, the minute before he got off the van to face the press. During the car ride to Nonsan Seungyoon wouldn’t let go of his jacket sleeves, looking at Jinwoo as if he wanted to absorbs all of Jinwoo. He kept giving unsolicited advices to Jinwoo - Hyung don’t snap at others if they bother you, they are strong men; Hyung eat your meal well don’t leave too much leftover, your captain might scold you; Hyung don’t worry about WINNER I will take care of it with Mino; and many many more. Jinwoo just laughed it off, he knew Seungyoon is just worried about him. At one point though Mino was tired of Seungyoon nagging Jinwoo so he distracted Seungyoon with games, which later the two bickered about and Seunghoon had to separate them. The usual chaos that Jinwoo miss. So so much.

It’s dinner time now in Nonsan and Jinwoo is hungry - he’s not a big eater before military but all the physical training drains him so much, he looks forward for meal time now. Besides that it’s nice that he gets to sit down and straighten his legs, and sometimes when the captain is in good mood he will even let them chat. Most of the time they will eat military-style though; fast, sitting straight, certainly no chat. He quickly regains his composure as his unit marches into the dining hall.

The menu today is delicious - they served Korean food most of the time, which right up Jinwoo’s alley - and the dining hall lady is so nice to him from day 1, complimenting Jinwoo on his deer-eyes. Jinwoo takes his tray and quickly sit with some of his peers - most are younger than him - and starts eating.

As Jinwoo bites into his food, his mind wanders off. Sausages.... Simon Hyung used to cook sausages a lot for breakfast. The Cat House pretty much lives on instant food and take outs since Jinwoo and Mino doesn’t cook - but Simon usually would try to put together a decent meal for them. Since Simon left to take care of Jiwon hyung, Hoseob kind of take over for meal time in Cat House. Simon must’ve taught some things to Hoseob because Hoseob often cooks the way Simon does - including making those blooming sausages. Mino loves those thing; he’s such a kid at heart.

Ah.. Mino... how is he doing? He misses Mino more than he thinks he would. He’s so used to them living in a different time zone and only seeing Mino for breakfast most of the time, he thought it’ll be easy separating with him for awhile. But then he realized how the mere presence of Mino in the room next to him comforts him; in a way it’s nice that Jinwoo knows what Mino is up to - when it’s noisy with music, Mino most likely is painting or writing on his diary, when it’s musical instrument means he’s composing, when he laughs and all most likely he’s doing a V-App session. He likes knowing that he’s not alone in the house. He misses the small talks with Mino whenever they bump to each other, he misses the way Mino would randomly knocks on his door asking him to play games together, he misses how Mino, when he found something funny or if he made something new, would be all giddy and proudly presenting to Jinwoo, like a kid would show their crafts to ther parents. He misses the way Mino always compliments him on the most random thing, and how Mino always laughs at his joke. Jinwoo feels really loved when he’s with Mino.

Jinwoo gulps on his water, shaking his thought of missing the two kids back at home. In a way, Jinwoo feels like a parents rather than an big hyung. He feels responsible towards the two kids, he takes care of them quietly and both Seungyoon and Mino are always thankful for him - they are such sweet kids. Jinwoo and Seunghoon somehow works in unison - they often check up on each other kids since they live in separate apartments. Seunghoon has grown pretty protective of Seungyoon though ever since they both moved in together, it’s funny sometimes even to Jinwoo. Seunghoon is such a reliable figure... and Jinwoo misses him the most, actually.

His mind wanders off again as he finishes the rest of his meal; his eyes scanning over the dining hall, trying to find the slender and tall figure of Seunghoon that he is familiar with. Seunghoon came last week, and he hasn’t seen even the tip of his nose. One of his friends told him that Seunghoon is on Unit 23, but the hectic schedule hasn’t allowed Jinwoo to look for Seunghoon in the camp. He desperately wants to meet Seunghoon, he wants to check up on him, if he’s doing okay adjusting in the camp. He scanned the room again and come with no result, he sighs. Seunghoon... he should meet him again when Seunghoon is done with basic military training. 

Jinwoo picks up his now empty tray and put it into the designated bin, putting the tray and utensils there before walking slowly to the dessert table - they have choices of yogurts, flavored milk, and sometimes ice cream. Jinwoo probably will go with yogurts, and when his hands reach out another hands bump into him. 

“Ahh sorry...”