Nine

Behind That Frown

The weekend comes. Jiwoo and Hye Mi go to the campsite together. When the two of them arrive, so many familiar faces are there already. Everyone greets each other. Some are setting up their tents, and some are gathering firewood.

Hye Mi and Jiwoo pick a spot and start unpacking their belongings. Hye Mi is reading the instructions on how to set up the tent. Jiwoo is following Hye Mi’s instructions.

Two people walk into the campground. 

“Minhyuk,” a girl shouts. “You made it!”

“I told you I’d come,” Minhyuk smiles.

Jiwoo and Hye Mi turn their heads. They see Minhyuk. He’s carrying a black backpack and carrying a duffle bag. Next to him is Taeyang. He is also carrying a backpack, but it’s white. That’s all he has.

“Isn’t that Taeyang,” Hye Mi asks.

“Yes,” Jiwoo replies.

“Why is he here?”

“Because he was in our class too.”

“But didn’t he transfer schools?”

“I don’t know. He just stopped showing.” They continue to build the tent.

"That rod goes into that one," Hye Mi says. 

Jiwoo does as Hye Mi instructs.

"Jiwoo," Minhyuk calls. 

Jiwoo and Hye Mi turn their heads. 

Minhyuk is smiling at them. "You two made it," he says happily. 

"Yes," Hye Mi replies. "So did you."

"I wouldn't miss this." Minhyuk turns to Taeyang. "This spot looks like a good spot. Let's set up our tent here."

"Sure," Taeyang replies.

They set the backpacks down beside Hye Mi and Jiwoo.

Hye Mi and Jiwoo continue to build their tent.

"Do you need help," Minhyuk asks. "Taeyang and I can build your tent for you."

"Really," Hye Mi asks. "I think you should go help Jiwoo. She looks like she's struggling."

Minhyuk walks over to Jiwoo. "Give it to me," Minhyuk says. "I can do it."

"It's okay," Jiwoo says. "I got it."

"No really. I'll do it." He grabs the rod from her and starts assembling them.

"Thank you," Jiwoo says. She stands up and walks over to Hye Mi. 

"Hye Mi," Minhyuk starts. "You don't have to read me the instructions. I'm pretty good at building tents."

"Really," Hye Mi asks. "That's so cool."

"I'll build our tent," Taeyang says. He goes unpack the tent and starts working.

Jiwoo and Hye Mi look at the guys as they work.

"This is boring," Hye Mi whispers to Jiwoo.

Jiwoo nods her head.

"Minhyuk let me help you," Hye Mi says. "Standing around is boring."

"Yeah," Minhyuk asks. "Then, hand me that hammer."

Hye Mi does so. 

"Thank you," Minhyuk says.

Jiwoo walks over to Taeyang. "Do you need help," she asks him.

Taeyang looks up. "No," he answers. Taeyang looks down again and continues to work. He reaches over for a rod.

Jiwoo squats down and watches Taeyang work.

Minhyuk notices them.

"Jiwoo," Minhyuk calls. "Will you come help Hye Mi hold this part?"

"Sure," Jiwoo answers. She stands up and walks over to the two. Jiwoo helps Hye Mi hold up the tent while Minhyuk finishes up.

"There. All done,” Minhyuk says.

"Thank you," Hye Mi smiles.

"No problem. If you need anymore help, just call for me."

Hye Mi nods her head.

Minhyuk smiles and heads over to Taeyang. He helps Taeyang finish the tent.

"He's so sweet," Hye Mi cooes. "I wish I could date him."

"You're insane," Jiwoo says. "Come on. Let's unpack our sleeping bag."

The two ladies bring the bags into the tent and start unpacking.

A few hours go by, and everyone is settled down. They're all gathered up around the untouched campfire.

"I'm sure you're all tired," the man who arranged the trip says. "For the rest of the day, you guys can rest and go explore the woods. Do whatever you want. The real fun will start tomorrow."

"Hye Mi," Jiwoo starts. "Want to go look around?"

"I'm really tired," Hye Mi says. "Let's just stay here and rest."

"You can stay here then. I'll go by myself."

"No. What if something happens to you?"

"I have my phone. I'll call you if anything happens."

Hye Mi nods her head. 

Jiwoo starts walking into the woods. She looks around. There is nothing but trees and dirt. Jiwoo stops in her tracks and closes her eyes. She lifts her head to the sky and listens to the wind. 

"Jiwoo!"

Her eyes open knowing exactly who's calling her. Jiwoo turns around and sees Minhyuk running over to her.

"Let's go together," he says. 

"I'm fine," Jiwoo says. 

"No. What if something happens to you? Let's go together, so we can protect each other."

Jiwoo shows him a crooked smile.

He starts walking, so Jiwoo follows him. She’s slightly walking behind him.

“Why are you out here by yourself,” Minhyuk asks. “Why isn’t Hye Mi with you?”

“She wanted to rest,” Jiwoo replies. “And I wanted to explore the woods.”

“Ahh.” He takes a deep breath. “I like nature,” he starts. “It’s so calming to listen to the wind.” He stops walking and closes his eyes.

Jiwoo stops as well.

“I do this a lot at work,” Minhyuk says. “When I’m having a hard time. It really helps.”

“I know,” Jiwoo says. “I do this a lot too.”

Minhyuk opens his eyes and turns to Jiwoo. “Let’s do it together,” Minhyuk suggests. He closes his eyes and slightly raises his head towards the sky.

Jiwoo slowly raises her head to the sky. She closes her eyes and listens to the wind.

Minhyuk opens his eyes. He looks at Jiwoo with loving eyes. Minhyuk can’t help but smile. He slowly leans toward Jiwoo.

“Minhyuk!”

Minhyuk quickly fixes his posture. He quietly sighs feeling annoyed.

Jiwoo opens her eyes and turns her head to where the voice came from.

“What is it,” Minhyuk asks.

“Have you seen my headphones,” Taeyang shouts. He is standing from afar.

“No,” Minhyuk replies.

“I looked everywhere for it, but I couldn’t find it!”

“Maybe you left it in the car!”

“Did I?”

“Go check!”

“But the car is locked!”

“My keys are in my backpack!”

Taeyang thinks. “Nevermind! I don’t think I’ll need it!” Taeyang turns around.

Minhyuk smiles.

Taeyang stops and turns toward them again. “Jiwoo,” Taeyang shouts. “I think Hye Mi was looking for you!”

“Is she,” Jiwoo asks. “I’ll come down!” Jiwoo follows Taeyang down to the campground. 

Minhyuk is upset that Jiwoo followed Taeyang down, but what can he do? Minhyuk follows them down.

Jiwoo walks over to Hye Mi. She’s eating a watermelon slice.

“You were looking for me,” Jiwoo asks.

“Jiwoo,” Hye Mi sings. “Try this watermelon! It’s so sweet!”

Jiwoo grabs a watermelon slice and takes a bite. “Mmm,” Jiwoo hums. “It’s really good.”

“There’s a little waterfall down that hill,” Hye Mi says. “Want to go? Many people are down there already.”

Jiwoo nods her head.

Hye Mi and Jiwoo walk down the path and to the waterfall. Many people are in the water swimming around.

“Woah,” Jiwoo says. “It’s so pretty.”

“I know,” Hye Mi says. “The waterfall is very quiet too.”

“I thought it’d be a bigger waterfall, but it’s a pretty small one.”

“Want to swim?”

“No,” Jiwoo shakes her head. “I don’t feel like getting my hair wet.”

“Want to put your feet in the water?”

Jiwoo nods her head. They sit on the bank and put their feet in the water.

“Woah,” Hye Mi says. “The water is so cold.”

"It feels great in this weather,” Jiwoo says.

Hye Mi agrees.

That night, everyone is sitting around the campfire. Each person is holding a can of beer. Everyone is talking to their friends.

“Are you sure you can drink,” Jiwoo asks Hye Mi. “You’re not much of a drinker.”

“I’ll be fine,” Hye Mi says. She takes a sip from her can.

“I’m going to bed,” Taeyang tells Minhyuk.

“Sure,” Minhyuk says. 

Taeyang sets his untouched can down and heads to his tent.

“Thank god he’s going to sleep first,” a woman says. “I was afraid he’d stay up, get drunk, and do something to one of us woman.”

“Me too,” her friend agrees.

“Guys,” Minhyuk says. “Taeyang isn’t the same person he used to be. He’s changed.”

“But you can never really trust a person like him right,” the woman asks.

“Why did he even come,” a man asks. “He’s such a social outcast.”

Jiwoo takes a sip from her can.