Fourteen

Behind That Frown

The next day, everyone is at the police station. Jiwoo gives them her statement. 

Minhyuk is also there, and so are his parents. He is giving the policeman his statement.

Taeyang is also there giving them his statement.

“And you’re sure he attacked her,” the policeman asks.

“I’m sure,” Taeyang replies.

“Alright. Thank you.”

“Sir,” Taeyang says. “I have something else I have to say.”

“Go ahead.”

“You remember me as a ual assaulter right?”

The policeman nods his head.

“What I said in the past,” Taeyang continues. “Was all a lie. I didn’t ually assault anyone. Minhyuk did it. He frequently does, and I always take the blame for it.”

“Why? Are you sure it’s him?”

“Yes. I’m sure. The first time was with one of our classmates. I took the blame, so he can go to college.”

“What does that have to do with this case?”

“Nothing. The old case has nothing to do with this case, but he did ually assault our classmate. It’s not a surprise that he would assault Jiwoo as well.”

 

“Did you assault this young lady,” the policeman asks Minhyuk.

“Officer,” Minhyuk says. “Do I look like a person who would ually assault women?”

“Of course not,” the policeman answers. “But you can never judge a book by it’s cover.”

Minhyuk smiles and nods his head. “Yes,” Minhyuk says. “I admit. I did. I "assaulted" her.”

“Why did you do it?”

“Because I love her.”

“You love her?”

“Ever since high school.”

“A person in love would never want to harm the person they love.”

“I wasn’t harming her. I was going to love her.”

“Assaulting is not loving.”

“In your terms, I assaulted her. In my terms, I loved her.”

The policeman keeps Minhyuk at the station since he admitted to the assault.

The policeman is at his desk pondering about what Taeyang said.

“Is something wrong,” one of his workers asks him.

“This Minhyuk kid,” the officer says. “He’s bothering me.”

“Why?”

“His brother said something.”

“What did he say?”

“The case about the student who committed suicide because of ual assault. His brother said he didn’t do it. What was his name? Taeyang?”

“If he didn’t do it, then who did it?”

“Minhyuk. The man inside the cell right now.”

“That case has been done and over with. Let’s not worry about it and only worry about this one.”

“But something about it is bothering me.”

A few days later, Minhyuk is out of jail and working in society again. 

Jiwoo is still staying at her parents' house. 

Taeyang has been kicked out of his house and is currently staying at a motel.

One day, Jiwoo is eating at home. Her dad comes over to her and shows her some documents.

“These are the evidence that I can find. I have a big one in here that will put him in jail for life,” her dad says.

“Thank you, dad,” Jiwoo says. She gives her dad a hug.

 

“Because he shows no remorse, and even tried to blame someone else for his heinous crimes, I sentence him to life in prison with no chance of parole. With the victim, Yoo Taeyang, I say all the false charges that was against him are cleared from his record.” The judge hits his gavel on the block.

Minhyuk is brought to jail. Taeyang has finally cleared his name, but his parents are not happy with him. 

“How can you do that to your own brother,” his mom asks.

“From today onwards, you are no longer our family. Never show up in front of us again,” his dad says.

Taeyang is upset. He lost his brother, and he lost his parents. He is homeless. Taeyang has no one now.

Jiwoo appears in front of him.

“Taeyang,” she says. She hugs him. “You’ve been through a lot. I’m so proud of you. Good job.”

Taeyang hugs her back. He holds her tightly. 

“Jiwoo,” her mom calls.

The two of them break the hug.

“Young man,” her dad says. “I’m proud of you. You lived through hell for so many years. It’s finally time you go live your life.”

“Thank you, sir,” Taeyang says. “Because of you, my name is cleared.”

“Jiwoo was the one who bagged me to help you.”

Taeyang looks at Jiwoo. “Thank you,” he says.

Jiwoo smiles and nods her head.

“Let’s go home,” her dad says.

“Wait,” Taeyang says. “I’m very sorry, but I have no place to go now.”

“Do you want to stay with us,” her dad asks.

“I have no right to be asking you this, but I really don’t have a place to go. Nor do I have the money. I’ll make sure to pay you back for what you’ve done for me. I’ll move out as soon as I find a job and an apartment.”

Her dad nods his head.

“Thank you, sir,” Taeyang says.

Her dad changes the lock on Jiwoo’s house.

“I’m going to change this into a password lock,” her dad says. “That Minhyuk kid came into your house by picking the lock. Having a password lock is going to be safer.”

“Thank you, dad,” Jiwoo says.

She’s moved back into her house.

[3 years later]

Taeyang is still living with Jiwoo’s parents. He’s received a high paying job and is ready to move out soon. 

No one points their fingers at him anymore. If they do, it’s for positive comments.

Taeyang works around the house when he has free time. He also cooks for Jiwoo’s parents. 

Her parents enjoy having him at home.

“I’m sorry for staying here for so long,” Taeyang says. “But I’m moving out soon. I’m really grateful and happy for what you’ve done for me. I’ve made dinner as a way to say thank you. Once I’m more successful, I’ll pay you back triple for what you’ve done for me.”

“No need,” Jiwoo’s dad says. “Seeing you work to the bottom up is so satisfying.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Having to see you go makes me sad,” her mom says. “Having you home has been so delightful. I only have Jiwoo as my child. I’ve always wanted a son, and you’re the best son I’ve never had.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Taeyang smiles.

“Taeyang,” her dad says. “You’ve been meeting with my daughter right?”

Taeyang shyly smiles. “For lunch dates.”

“Do you love my daughter?”

Taeyang nods his head.

“The best way you can repay me, is to treat my daughter well,” her dad says. “I give her to you.”

Taeyang smiles happily. “Thank you, sir,” Taeyang says. “I promise I won’t let you down.”

Taeyang visits Jiwoo one day at her house. She is making food. Taeyang knocks on the door, so she goes to answer it. She smiles and invites him in.

“What are you making,” Taeyang asks her.

“Nothing special,” Jiwoo replies. “It’s almost done. Want some?”

Taeyang nods his head. Taeyang helps her set the table, and the two of them eat.

“I’m moving out soon,” Taeyang says.

“Really,” Jiwoo replies. “To where?”

“I’m not sure yet. I’m looking around still. I found one near this neighborhood. It’s not too bad.”

“Will you pick that one?”

“I’m not sure yet.”

The two of them wash the dishes together after they eat.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo says. “There’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you since a long time ago.”

“What is it?”

Jiwoo bites her lip. She laughs at herself. “Why was this so easy in the past?”

Taeyang waits for her to continue.

“Taeyang,” she gathers her courage. “I’m.” She pauses. She hangs her head.

Taeyang dries his hand. He puts his index finger under Jiwoo’s chin and raises her head.

“Don’t hang your head,” Taeyang says. “Say it confidently.”

“I like you,” Jiwoo blurts. She pauses. “Very much.”

Taeyang removes his finger. 

Jiwoo hangs her head again from embarrassment. 

“You want to know something,” Taeyang asks.

“What,” Jiwoo asks. She raises her head again.

“I’ve never had a girlfriend before.”

Jiwoo looks at Taeyang. “You’ve told me that before,” Jiwoo says. She stops washing the dishes and dries her hands.

He nods his head.

“Why not,” she asks.

“I was in the orphanage until eight. Then, I was adopted by Minhyuk’s family. He was always the more popular one. Then, the assault happened, and everyone started to avoid me.”

“It’s their loss,” Jiwoo says. “They missed out on an amazing, handsome, and sweet boyfriend.” 

Taeyang cups her cheeks. He presses his lips onto hers.

Jiwoo has her eyes closed until he removes his lips from hers. 

Taeyang looks at Jiwoo with love in his eyes.

Jiwoo wraps her arms around Taeyang’s waist and pulls him in for a kiss. She moves her lips on his. 

His eyes are closed. Taeyang feels electricity run throughout his body. He pulls her closer to him. Taeyang pushes her against the counter and leans into her. 

She grasps his shirt.

Taeyang breaks the kiss.

They open their eyes and smile at each other.

“Does this mean we’re dating,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang nods his head. “Today is our first day,” he replies. He brushes his nose against hers making her chuckle.

The two of them finish the dishes and go to the living room to watch TV together. They’re sitting side by side.

“I’ll tell my parents,” Jiwoo says. “About us.”

“You don’t have to,” Taeyang says. “Your dad already gave us his permission.”

“When?”

“Yesterday during dinner. I confessed my love to you, and he agreed.”

Hearing that makes Jiwoo happier.

“You told me,” Jiwoo says. “That you’ve never had a girlfriend before.”

Taeyang nods his head.

“Why did your kiss feel like you’re so experienced,” Jiwoo asks.

“Did it feel that way,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo nods her head.

“Huh,” Taeyang says.

“‘Huh’,” Jiwoo copies Taeyang.

“I’ve really never had a girlfriend though.”

“You’re just that good?”

Taeyang nods his head.

“You don’t believe me,” Taeyang asks.

“I do,” Jiwoo says. “I feel bad for the girls that turned you down.”

Taeyang smiles. He wraps his right arm around Jiwoo’s waist and pulls her in for a kiss. He did that so fast that Jiwoo had no time to react. All she could do was fall into his arms and blank her eyes.

Taeyang breaks the kiss.

“Want to stay the night,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang sighs. “As much as I’m tempted to,” Taeyang says. “I should go.”

Jiwoo grabs his wrist. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Of course,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo walks him out.

 

Taeyang finally moves out of Jiwoo’s parent’s home. He moves into the apartment that is near Jiwoo’s neighborhood, so he can visit Jiwoo whenever he wants. The ride to her house is less than ten minutes away.

Jiwoo and Taeyang are the happiest right now. Jiwoo sees Taeyang smiling more now, and that makes her happy.

“I would never change this for anything,” Jiwoo says. 

The two are in Jiwoo’s house cuddling on the couch.

“I love you,” Jiwoo says.

“I love you too,” Taeyang replies. He kisses her on the forehead.