Four

Behind That Frown

 

The next day at school, Jiwoo and Taeyang are sitting at their desks waiting for school to start. Jiwoo is still sitting as far away as possible from Taeyang, but she still wants to ask him why he helped her.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo says quietly so only he can hear. 

He turns his head to face her.

Jiwoo jumps a little. Her heart skips a beat. She takes a quiet deep breath to calm herself down.

“The police asked you already,” Jiwoo says, “But I’m going to ask you too. Why did you save me?”

“Because those guys were disrespecting you, and I’m sure you’re not the only one they disrespect.” 

That makes Jiwoo confused. “Then,” Jiwoo pauses. She wants to ask him, but she is also scared.

“Then, why did I do it,” Taeyang asks.

“He caught me,” Jiwoo tells herself.

“I admit to what I did. I don’t want other people to go through what I went through because it was like living in hell, and it still is.”

“Woah,” Jiwoo tells herself.

“I’m sure,” Jiwoo says. 

At lunch, Jiwoo is eating alone again. That is until Minhyuk joins her.

“I heard what happened,” Minhyuk says. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Jiwoo replies. “Because your brother saved me.”

“Taeyang? I also heard that. After he came back, it’s like he’s a changed person, and that makes me proud. I’m still scared though. What if he attacks again? I don’t want that to happen.”

“No one wants that to happen.”

Minhyuk nods his head. “That’s why I’m trying to keep an eye on him. If he tries to attack another person, I’ll try to stop him this time.”

“How sweet of you.”

Minhyuk smiles happily. “Should I walk you home tonight? What if you meet them again?”

“They’re at the station. I won’t be seeing them any time soon.”

“But there are others. I’ll walk you home.”

“Sure.”

After school, Minhyuk is waiting for Jiwoo at the front gates. When Jiwoo walks past him, he runs after her and starts walking with her.

“How was the last period,” Minhyuk asks.

“Boring,” Jiwoo says. “I have history as my last class, and I fall asleep every time the teacher opens .”

“I do the same thing,” Minhyuk agrees. “It’s like they’re telling me a bedtime story.”

“I know!”

They continue to talk, and before they know it, they are already a block away from Jiwoo’s house.

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. “I can go by myself now.”

“You’re welcome,” Minhyuk says. “Even after Hye Mi comes back, can I still walk you home? It’s still dangerous for two women to walk alone.”

“We’ll see when Hye Mi comes back.”

“Do you need her permission?”

“Of course not. Bye.” Jiwoo walks away.

Minhyuk can’t help but feel happy. 

That night, Jiwoo can’t sleep. Taeyang is on her mind.

“Did he change because of his experience,” Jiwoo asks herself. “Or is he putting up an act? Actually, he doesn’t seem like a bad person. He doesn’t bother me at all during school hours. He pays attention in class and receives good grades. He’s even saved me.” Jiwoo changes her position in bed. “Maybe he’s not a bad person.” She hits herself. “Who am I kidding? The police found him guilty.”

The next day at school, Jiwoo can’t concentrate in class. She is pretending to take notes, but she is actually glancing over at Taeyang.

“He looks normal,” Jiwoo tells herself. “Is he even paying attention though? He’s not taking notes, but he always Aces the tests. Is he a genius?”

Taeyang turns his head toward Jiwoo.

Jiwoo quickly looks at her notes. “Did he notice,” she asks herself. “Gosh I’m such an idiot!” Instead of moving her head, she side eyes Taeyang.

He’s still staring at her.

Jiwoo quickly diverts her eyes to her notebook again. “This is it,” she cries. “I’m dead! I’m dead! Mother. Father. Goodbye. Today will probably be my last day on earth.”

Taeyang bends down towards Jiwoo.

Jiwoo freezes in her spot. Her heart beat starts to increase rapidly.

Taeyang straightens up again and extends his hand to Jiwoo’s desk.

“No,” Jiwoo cries. “No! No! No!”

“You dropped your eraser,” Taeyang whispers to Jiwoo. He places the white eraser on Jiwoo’s desk.

“Huh,” Jiwoo asks surprised. Her heart beat is still going. She turns her head and sees the white eraser on her desk. “Thank you,” she whispers back. Jiwoo takes a quiet deep breath to calm her heart down.

During lunch, Jiwoo is eating by herself again, and she is staring at the corner of the lunchroom. Why? Because Taeyang is there.

He’s eating by himself again. No one is even near him.

“Why does he look lonely,” Jiwoo asks herself.

Minhyuk sits in front of her. “Hi,” he greets her with a smile.

“Hello,” Jiwoo greets him back. She stops staring at Taeyang.

“How are you?”

“Fine.”

“How was class?”

“Fine.”

“I miss being a junior,” Minhyuk says. “Being a senior is all about getting ready for college. It’s so stressful.”

“Did you choose what college to go to?”

Minhyuk tells her the college he chose.

“Isn’t that the college for smart people,” Jiwoo asks.

“That’s what people like to say,” Minhyuk says.

“Wow. Good for you. Did you pick a major already?”

“Business.”

“How exciting!”

“How about you? Do you have a college in mind?”

Jiwoo shakes her head. “Definitely not the college you’re going to.”

“Any college is fine. Tell me when you make up your mind. I’ll throw you a party.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I want to.”

“Is anyone throwing you a party?”

“My parents of course.”

“Of course.”

“Want to come?”

“When is it?”

“At the end of the school year.”

“I’ll ask my parents and see if I can.”

Minhyuk smiles.

“Minhyuk,” Jiwoo says after a pause. “Does being smart run in your family?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Taeyang. I’ve noticed that he doesn’t take notes in class. He only listens, but he always get A’s on tests.”

“That kid has always been smart. If he didn’t choose the path he chose, he would be a great guy.”

Jiwoo looks at Taeyang. He is still eating alone.

“Why don’t you sit with him,” Jiwoo asks. “He’s always sitting alone.”

Minhyuk turns around. He turns back to Jiwoo. She is still looking at Taeyang. 

“Want to join him,” Minhyuk asks.

“Huh,” Jiwoo asks surprised. She looks at Minhyuk.

“Don’t worry,” Minhyuk chuckles. “Taeyang is a very nice guy despite what he did.”

Jiwoo gives a crooked smile.

“Let’s go,” Minhyuk says.

He grabs his lunch tray and stands up. Jiwoo slowly follows. The two of them walk over to Taeyang. Minhyuk sits down next to Taeyang, and Jiwoo sits across from the two of them.

Taeyang looks at Minhyuk and Jiwoo surprised.

“Hi, brother,” Minhyuk says cheerfully. “How’s lunch?”

“Fine,” Taeyang replies.

“Jiwoo noticed that you were eating alone and suggested we come sit here,” Minhyuk says.

Taeyang looks at Jiwoo who is shaking her head vigorously. “I asked Minhyuk why he wasn’t sitting with you, and he suggested we come,” Jiwoo says.

“It’s the same thing as you telling us to come sit with him,” Minhyuk says.

“I’m grateful,” Taeyang says. “But I’m done with lunch.”

“Just stay,” Minhyuk says. “Jiwoo came here for you.”

Jiwoo feels awkward. She shoves her food down . “I’m done too,” Jiwoo says. is still full.

Minhyuk chuckles. “You’re so cute,” he comments.

Jiwoo gives a crooked smile.

It’s finally the end of the school day. Jiwoo is packing her books and pencil into her backpack.

Taeyang grabs his backpack.

“Jiwoo,” Taeyang starts.

“Yes,” Jiwoo says abruptly. She jumps as she is speaking. Jiwoo looks directly at Taeyang, and he is looking at her. She gasps and looks away.

“Are you close with my brother,” Taeyang asks.

“No,” Jiwoo replies. “Not really. We’re friends, but not close friends.”

Taeyang nods his head and looks away. “Minhyuk is very nice,” Taeyang says. “But he can get obsessive.”

“I’ve noticed that,” Jiwoo says. “When we first talked to each other, he wouldn’t leave me alone.”

“How about now?”

“We talk occasionally, and he walks me home.”

Taeyang nods his head again.

Minhyuk walks Jiwoo home again.

“I’m glad we’re not running into anyone crazy,” Minhyuk says.

“Me too,” Jiwoo says. “And I’m grateful that you’ve been walking me home.”

“Do you feel safer?”

Jiwoo nods her head. “I do.”

“I’m glad.”

The next day, during physical education the teacher pairs the students up to play dodgeball. 

When Jiwoo hears that she is partnered up with Taeyang, her heart drops. 

“They’re trying to get me killed,” Jiwoo cries to herself. “Seat partners. Now this?”

The game begins. Jiwoo sees the other partners are stuck together like paper and glue, but she is keeping a distance from Taeyang. 

The ball flies past Jiwoo. She dodges the ball. The ball comes flying toward Jiwoo again. She is able to dodge the ball again. The ball continues to fly through the air. Jiwoo is paying attention to the ball. She runs around trying to avoid the ball and Taeyang. As she is running, she trips over her own feet. Jiwoo stumbles, but she catches herself. She heaves a sigh feeling glad she didn’t fall over, but she gasps again when Taeyang grabs her and pulls her into his arms. She doesn’t even see the ball flying past them. 

“Be careful will you,” Taeyang says. “You almost tripped and got hit by the ball.”

Jiwoo can’t hear what Taeyang is saying. All she can hear is her heartbeat in her ears.

“Stick next to me,” Taeyang says. He puts Jiwoo’s arms around his waist.

Jiwoo’s eyes widen. 

“Pay attention,” Taeyang says loudly.

Jiwoo is finally brought back to reality. They continue to play the game. Jiwoo is grasping onto Taeyang’s shirt. When the game is about over, Taeyang and Jiwoo are out. Taeyang walks over to the water fountain and takes a sip. Jiwoo is right behind him. She takes a sip of water too.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo says before he can walk away.

He turns around.

Jiwoo doesn’t know what to say. She doesn’t even know why she called his name.

“Did you want something,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo doesn’t say anything. 

Taeyang turns around and starts walking away again.

“Let’s have lunch together,” Jiwoo blurts out. She is surprised by what she said.

Taeyang turns around again. “Okay,” Taeyang agrees.

 

The two of them are eating lunch together. They are quiet. Students are also staring at them and gossiping.

“This is so uncomfortable,” Jiwoo tells herself. “Hye Mi! I miss you!”

Minhyuk joins them. “Hello!” Minhyuk smiles. “Why are we so quiet?”

They don’t answer.

“Have you two become good friends,” Minhyuk asks.

“Not really,” Taeyang replies.

“You two should,” Minhyuk suggests. “You’ll be great friends.”

Jiwoo is surprised. She doesn’t want to be Taeyang’s friend. She’s scared of him, but the other side of her is also curious about him. 

“No, thank you,” Taeyang says. “Why would anyone want to be friends with me?”