Ten

Crash and Burn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She imagined a family with a lot of internal issues, like siblings fighting over company positions and parents being controlling and authoritative. Jinri thought she must’ve seen too much dramas and movies. They obviously made her stick into a stereotype about rich families.

Sehun’s family is not what she imagined it to be. They were way approachable and friendlier than she thought. Sehun’s father looked so snobbish and a cold person but that was just his outer appearance. He is thoughtful and is an attentive listener.

Sehun’s father has a younger brother and a younger sister. The younger brother has his own business which had something to do with international trading despite having shares in SK Air. The younger brother has two children, Hyunbin and Hamin who are both still in college. They were pretty nice.

The younger sister is the mother of Junmyeon. He is the only child and he decided to not work in SK Air but pursue his dream to be an accountant. Although he did not follow the path of their family business, he made his name by being partner in Glam. Junmyeon is married to Irene, a very good-looking lawyer, who Jinri saw a couple of times in the office. And they have a baby son.

Oh Sejin, Sehun’s older brother by 6 years, is currently working as the COO of SK Air, supporting his father with the business. He’s been happily married to a pretty pediatrician and is a happy father of two boys.  He’s a smooth talker and he’s one of the people who made the conversation going.

Oh Hyejin, Sehun’s older sister by 2 years, is a goddess. Jinri couldn’t help but stare at her the whole time. She has this stunning jet black hair which made her fair skin stand out. She’s an interior designer and architect who has been based in New York since she finished school abroad.

And last but not the least, Kim Hyesoon, Sehun’s grandmother, is the nicest person she’s ever met. She just had those twinkling eyes when Sehun introduced her. Her hands felt so warm when she held Jinri’s hands. She’s the founder of Airlight Foundation which catered to sick kids and the less privileged.

All of that information was from the dinner that just happened a few minutes before. At the moment, people were still talking through glasses of wine. They looked like they were all in their own worlds, talking about business and stuff that Jinri couldn’t relate too. Sehun went out to get some quiet time with his grandmother. She could only imagine how much coping up they would be doing.

She stood and started heading for the door to get to the restroom when she was bumped by someone. She looked down and stared at the little boy, Sejin’s son, who was holding a plate. She immediately crouched and held him up. “Are you okay?” she asked.

The little boy nodded and pointed at her dress. She looked down and noticed the messy trace of icing on her dress. A piece of cake was lying on the ground.

“Sorry,” the little boy apologized, bowing his head. For a rich kid, he was raised properly. She just smiled at him.

“It’s okay.”

“Oh Kihyun, what did you do?” Hyejin asked, making her way towards them. The little boy turned at her with an apologetic expression.

“It was an accident,” he mumbled.

“It was my fault. I did not see him,” Jinri reasoned out. Hyejin sighed before patting Kihyun’s head.

“Go ahead and play with your brother,” Hyejin said and the little boy ran to where his brother was. “We need to do something about that.”

“It’s okay. I can just wipe it off,” Jinri said, assessing the mess on her dress.

To her surprise, Hyejin held her hand and pulled her. “I insist,” she said and Jinri couldn’t do anything follow her.

Jinri found herself inside Hyejin’s hotel room. There were several dresses lying on the bed and a couple of heels lined on the floor. Hyejin emerged from the restroom with a wet towel.

“I can do it,” Jinri said, trying to reach the towel from her. Hyejin gave in and gave the towel to her. She started wiping the icing off from her dress. A very visible wet mark was left and the icing left small white splotches on the fabric. She internally grimaced.

“You know what, just choose from these babies,” Hyejin suggested, nodding towards the displayed dresses, and Jinri found herself gaping at her words.

“No, it’s okay. It will dry off,” Jinri tried to reason out. The lady’s being too kind that it’s scaring her off. Who would let a stranger wear her own branded dresses? Hyejin shook her head and approached her.

“Look, darling, I’m not going to let my little brother’s date get into the dance floor with a wet dress. I love your dress but I think you need to change.” Hyejin’s tone was sweet. She placed her hands on Jinri’s shoulders and motioned her to face the dresses on the bed. Jinri was still processing what Hyejin said. What dance floor? Nobody told me about dancing.

Hyejin picked a white dress and gave it to her. “Go on. Try it out.”

Jinri struggled to squeeze herself into the body hugging dress. She swore Hyejin has an ant’s waist. She looked at her reflection. It looked so obvious that she was holding her breath.

“You done?” Hyejin asked and she replied in the affirmative. She got out of the powder room. Hyejin stood and looked at her from head to toe. She pursed her lips into a thin line. “Can you breathe?”

Jinri shook her head immediately. With a smile, Hyejin picked a light purple dress with shiny sequins. Jinri took it and headed to the powder room once again.

“You don’t know how happy I am that Sehun brought you,” Hyejin suddenly commented. Jinri was currently struggling to peel the white dress off her body without damaging it. She felt like she could breathe when she got it off. “He’s never attended any of the parties before. And he’s never introduced anyone to the family for a long time. Are you two dating?”

Jinri almost tripped when she heard that. “No, we’re not. I’m only working with him.” She slipped into the one-shoulder dress easier. It actually fitted like it was made for her. A patch of violet sequins over a colored fabric traveled diagonally from the shoulder to the waist. The dress had a high slit which stopped mid thigh. The inner side of the dress was accented with same violet sequins.

“Sorry. I was just being hopeful. Sehun’s been so detached from everyone and has been making poor life choices. It’s just that I’m worried that he might end up completely forgetting who he is.”

Jinri absorbed her words like a sponge. With a deep breath, she got out of the powder room. Hyejin’s face lit up as if she saw the right dress for Jinri. “You look pretty,” she complimented before picking up a colored heels from her collection. She let Jinri wear it with the dress. Hyejin smiled in satisfaction.

“What do you mean b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter