My Old Friend, Death

Quietus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

There is no death, only a change of worlds - Chief Seattle

 

April 20

    

     The bad thing about falling asleep with your mouth wide open is that you're just asking for people to stick things into it. So far, Jungkook and Taehyung had managed to get three straws and a half-eaten cookie into Hoseok's mouth without waking him. Beomgyu was going for the grand prize - a petrified werewolf eye - that he found stuffed in the back of a drawer of potion ingredients.

     "It's dusty," Beomgyu began to polish it, holding it up to the light for effect.

     "Yeah, like your brain," Jungkook teased, giving him a push forward, "Quit stalling."

     "Winning is an art form," Beomgyu positioned his hand above Hoseok's lips, "Watch and learn, boys".

      Ploop. 

     "Ha, nailed it," Beomgyu declared right before he was encased in a bubble and stuck to the ceiling.

     Jungkook and Taehyung burst out laughing.

     "Busted," Taehyung choked out.

      Hoseok spat the eye up into the air and Taehyung caught it.

     "Good catch," Jungkook clapped and Taehyung took a bow.

     Hoseok emptied his mouth, wiping the drool, "Do you guys have nothing better to do with your time?"

     "Yeah, but where's the fun in that?" Taehyung studied the eye.

     Hoseok flicked the straws at them, mumbling about pack members and hamster spells.

     "Why do you even have this?" Jungkook snatched the eye from Taehyung and held it up to the light, the glistening red color meant this thing belonged to an alpha.

     "You'd have to ask Yuta," Hoseok stood, "It was his." He stumbled over to the light and flicked it on, shaking his sleeping foot side to side, "Now be off with ya, I need to tidy up before Nee'eskah gets here."

     "So we actually get to meet the lady that is at fault for you?" Taehyung cleaned up the straws.

     "She is not my birth-giver," Hoseok grumbled.

     "No, but someone has to be responsible for releasing you into the world," Taehyung grinned.

     "Is anyone gonna let me down?" Beomgyu complained, wide-eyed.

     "I think you should spend a few hours up there, reflect on recent actions," Hoseok smirked.

     "I can sing really loud for hours too," Beomgyu retorted, smug.

     Hoseok frowned, "I need to figure out how to make these things soundproof."

     He released Beomgyu from the bubble and he fell to the floor with a splat. Oof.

     "Ow," Beomgyu rubbed his bum as he stood.

     "Now go before I add three new hamsters to the specimen cage."

 

      Yoongi and Seokjin had made their way to the archery target and had been shooting off arrows for the last half hour. Seokjin was waiting for Namjoon to be in his office so he could pay him a visit. Their leader had spent most of his time in his room since getting back from Iceland, recuperating. He hadn't said a word to anyone other than Jimin, and Seokjin was worried.

     "Taehyung has been hanging out with my brother a lot," Yoongi shot off his arrow, nailing the bullseye, "Damn I'm good at this."

     Seokjin smirked as he took out his crossbow and lined up the sights, "Jungkook too, think he's living out his mischief fantasies."

     "You don't think he's... putting the moves on Tae, do you?"

     Seokjin choked as he shot the bolt, hitting the outside white area, "What the is wrong with you?"

     "I mean-"

     "Wait, who are you talking about Beomgyu or Jungkook?"

     "My brother, ," Yoongi protested, "Jungkook would never, he's got tunnel vision."

     "Yeah but I've been a terrible husband, who would blame him," Seokjin sulked.

     "You better sort your out right now," Yoongi frowned, flustered, "To even suggest such a ridiculous... you know, I'm just going to do it, I'm just going to ask him out on a date-"

     "About ing time," Seokjin took a deep breath and then realigned his aim on the target, "Maybe getting laid will help your grumpiness level-"

     "First, unless your offering, keep my life out of your mouth," Yoongi grinned, "second, who said I wasn't getting laid?"

     Seokjin shook his head, shooting his crossbow. He landed a shot just outside the bullseye, giving a chuckle, "One, your hand doesn't count, and two, no wonder he's not eager to take you back."

     "I haven't even been trying-"

     "So he has no reason to think you even still like him?" Seokjin was beside himself, "Are you dumb?"

     "I didn't want to rush into anything," Yoongi explained, "Wanted to gauge how he felt."

     "It's obvious how he feels," Jungkook appeared behind them, stepping out of the brush, "Open your eyes."

     "Hey," a smile blossomed across Seokjin's face.

     "I am not about to take love advice from you," Yoongi uttered.

     Jungkook shrugged, giving Seokjin a kiss, "It's not advice, I would tell him to pick anyone but you."

     Seokjin stifled a laugh.

     " you," Yoongi yelled, displeased, "I'm not the worst person he could get with."

     "Are you sure about that?"

     "I don't know, why don't you ask your husband," Yoongi smirked as he handed the bow to Jungkook and waltzed off.

     Jungkook threw down the bow and was about to go after Yoongi, but Seokjin held him back.

     "Not worth it."

     Jungkook pulled himself free, "Just let me kick his once."

     "We don't need a brawl right now," Seokjin tried his best to calm Jungkook down, "Save it for the enemy."

     Jungkook was not having it.

     "Why the hell did you ever that guy?" Jungkook shook his head and tromped off.

     "Greaaaat," Seokjin exhaled, giving himself a reminder to thank Yoongi for inspiring Jungkook's 'Oh so happy' mood. Also on the top of his list; One Google search: How to build a time machine, pronto.

 

     Seokjin loomed in the doorway of the study, observing Namjoon as he read through a folder. He still looked under the weather, the color in his face was a few shades paler than usual. Seokjin wondered if that had happened during his episode with Cato... and just how should he bring up that he knew what Namjoon had done?

     Seokjin cleared his throat and then marched into the room, shutting the door.

     "Seokjin," Namjoon set the folder down, "Everything okay?"

     "I'm not sure which I am more alarmed about," He started, "The fact that you're the reason Cato is braindead or the fact that after it all happened, he somehow called out to us all."

     "Called out how?" Namjoon's expression changed to instant surprise.

     "This ringing voice filled our heads like he was willing us to come help him. Then it stopped as soon as it started," Seokjin took a seat, "Yeonjun and Grendel reacted too."

     "Weird," Namjoon replied more to himself than to Seokjin.

     "What happened at Genetica?"

     Namjoon sighed, "More than I know how to explain at the moment."

     "What does that even mean?"

     "I have to see Dagma later today, until then, I would rather not have any of you know what I did-"

     "I already know what you did, I felt it the moment he died-"

     "I will explain everything after I see the council, just in case," Namjoon picked the folder back up, "anything else?"

     "No," Seokjin was discouraged, he really hoped that Namjoon wasn't returning to his secretive ways. He stood and left without saying another word.

 

     Jimin entered the lab, setting his laptop down on the counter, "Hoseok?"

     "In here," Hoseok called from the storage room.

     "What are you doing?" Jimin plopped down on the stool, spinning several times.

     "Tidying up, Nee'eskah will be here soon," Hoseok peeked his head around the corner, "She's a clean freak."

     "Don't worry, I am sure she will be too happy to see you to even care about the state of our storage room."

     "Except the jackassery your brother and the other two buffoons are causing has left the room in disarray," Hoseok declared, shaking his head, "Beomgyu has really brought out the devilry inside them."

     Jimin stopped spinning his chair, pouting, "Yeah, he's been having more fun with them and less fun with me."

     "Oh?" Hoseok remarked, understanding the sudden mood change... Jimin missed his brother... maybe was even a bit jealous. He knew just the thing to change the vibe. "Maybe we should have a prank war, me and you against team bozo."

     "Might ease the mood a bit, everything is death and destruction lately."

     "Isn't it always," Hoseok rolled his eyes. He pondered the idea of a prank war, "You need to dig into your ghost days, wasn't anybody peskier than you."

     Jimin let out a titter, "Where do we start."

     Hoseok's face lit up, "Later, we'll brainstorm, but for now, I need to get this done."

     "Want help?" Jimin stood. He had nothing better to do at the moment.

     "Su-sure," Hoseok was surprised, usually no one was keen on offering to help clean up around this place.

     

      Namjoon stood in the room of the gods, waiting for Dagma to emerge from the portal. He hoped that his mother would have some answers. With each passing day, he felt his health declining. He was afraid that what the Kenku took from him would be a death sentence if this kept up.

     "My son, your situation looks dire," Dagma stepped from the blackness and took her son's palms in her hands, "What plagues you?"

     Namjoon took a deep breath as he removed his button-up to reveal that the hole in his chest had not healed yet.

     Dagma's face dropped, "Your essence-"

     Namjoon slipped his shirt back on and began to rebutton it, "Am I going to die?"

     "That depends on who took it and what they plan to do with it," Dagma laid her hand upon his shoulder.

     "I wish I could tell you," Namjoon sat on the chair at the head of the room, staring at the billowy curtains as they flowed in the nonexistent breeze.

     Dagma sighed, "It is vital that you get that back, you will only heal if you reabsorb the essence."

     "And if I can't, If Raven gave it to Akiyama, then he'll probably use it-"

     "Raven is not loyal to the doctor," Dagma revealed.

     "She said it would fetch her a nice favor," Namjoon perked up with a sudden realization, "But she didn't say from whom-"

    Dagma gave a nod, "I suggest you reach out."

    "Am I to take it that she is not under Akiyama's watchful eye?" Namjoon rubbed the wound, peering up at his mother as she approached.

    Dagma nodded her head, "Raven is a free agent, I am not sure of her motives at the moment, but she is not on Cato's side."

 

     A strange mist had settled in the front of the estate. At first glance, Yoongi thought Grendel had found them, but this was less murky and more mystical in nature. He swooshed his hand through it as he made his way up to the entryway.

     "Are you misting or is there something lurking close by?" Taehyung asked as he appeared behind him, followed by Beomgyu.

     "This is not from a vampire," Yoongi turned to Beomgyu, "Have you seen any... thing lately?"

     "Ghosts? No more than usual," Beomgyu replied, "Don't think a ghost did this."

     Suddenly, breaking free of the mist, two horses appeared, slowing to a crawl - It was like a thousand hooves clamping the pavement at once. The crows that had been congregating in the trees the last few weeks, flew off, angry... squawking out complaints as they settled somewhere behind the estate. The mist broke again and a small black carriage caught their attention as it came to a stop in front of them.

     "Is this Hobi's voodoo priestess?" Yoongi whispered, mouth agape when he saw two black shoes emerge from the inside. A heavily tattooed blonde man turned and offered his hand to the arm that reached out.

     "I think so?" Taehyung seemed mesmerized by the sight before him.

     She was an older woman, probably in her late sixties if they were to judge by human years. Long braids hung from her head, which she pushed from her eyes to set her gaze upon the three of them. She wore a pure white lace dress and matching tignon that did nothing to maintain the hair that freed itself. Colorful beaded jewelry hung from her neck and adorned her arms, Taehyung remembered reading about chakras and how new Vodou practices used them to help with spiritual connections. He decided researching voodoo would help in figuring out what was real and what was fake, and not just believing the hubbub school taught him about dark rituals and beheading chickens. Like with anything though, there was always the good and bad, those that took the beliefs and used them for unholy acts.

     "Did the temperature drop or is that just me?" Beomgyu gulped, a shiver ran through his body.     

     "Nooo, that's definitely not just you," Taehyung swiped the goosebumps that now covered his arms.

     Whispers followed her as she inched closer, tons of voices that weren't saying anything in particular. It was like time did not exist, just a blur of slow motion, hypnotizing them.

     "Why can't I look away," Beomgyu commented, his mouth dropped open.

     "I don't know," Taehyung blinked several times.

     "Voodoo," Yoongi said in a sinister voice, joking.

     She glided over and stopped in front of Yoongi, giving him a once-over.

     "You're all but a hex away from the afterlife," Nee'eskah commented, "But not to worry, I have a spell to keep them out of your head."

     Yoongi's stood there, head tilted to the side trying his damnedest to make sense of her comment, but he was baffled, "Yo-you mean my ghost problem?"

    She nodded, "You're giving them ammo."

     Hoseok opened the front door and they all looked over as he stepped out, a big grin spread across his mouth, "You have not aged a day."

     Nee'eskah smiled, holding out her arms as Hoseok embraced her, "Oh child, I have missed you."

 

     Nee'eskah sat down at the lab counter as Hoseok placed down a cup of tea. She took a whiff as she brought it up to .

     "You've used fresh dandelion, just as I taught you," She smiled as she took a sip, "Mmm, perfect."

     Hoseok felt a rush of pride, "Everyone looks forward to meeting you."

     "As do I," Nee'eskah sat the teacup back on the saucer and took a deep breath, "Your friend, Yoongi, how long has he been seeing spirits?"

     Hoseok shrugged, "I think longer than he'll admit."

     "It's quite concerning, these aren't good spirits surrounding him," she took another sip of the tea, "One of them in particular, Agnes-"

     "Agnes?" Yoongi stood in the doorway, perplexed.

     "As vengeful as the heretic that created her," Nee'eskah held out her hand to Yoongi, "Come closer child."

     Yoongi gave a glance to Hoseok who gave him a nod. He strode over and took her hand and she guided him to sit in the empty chair beside her.

     "What does she want from me?"

     "Information," She answered, "and you give it willingly in your slumber."

      "Are they all bad?" Yoongi felt like screaming, how could he let this happen?

     "They're all troubled souls, none of them left this earth on a positive note," Nee'eskah glanced at Hoseok, "We can help you."

     Hoseok gave a vigorous nod, "I have the herbs we need."

     "Should I text Beomgyu to join us?"

     "If he sees them too, then yes," Nee'eskah held out a key to Hoseok, "Would you be so kind to fetch my boula from the carriage?"

     "No need, I have my own," Hoseok stood and hurried into the storage room, returning seconds later with the small drum, "Found this beauty at a yard sale last week."

     Yoongi couldn't contain the 'WTF' expression from popping up, "yard sale?"

     Hoseok gave a few taps on the boula, sitting, "Yeah."

     "What kind of yard sale did you go to?" Yoongi asked, but then realized he didn't care enough to know, "nevermind," he frowned as he turned to Nee'eskah, "I'm ready whenever you are."

   

     Nee'eskah had Yoongi sit cross-legged in the middle of the garden with Beomgyu alongside him. Hoseok was positioned a few feet behind him, lightly beating on the boula. It helped to set the mood, which Beomgyu seemed to enjoy as he began to tap his foot along before Yoongi smacked him on the knee and gave him the fatherly 'behave' look.

     "Sorry," Beomgyu mouthed, staring down at the ground, apologetic.

     "You were physically attacked by Agnes?" She asked Beomgyu and he raised his head nodding.

     "She pushed me off a cliff," Beomgyu answered.

     "I need you both to clear your minds, focus on Selene's guidance. Believe that Selene will help rid this garden of any malevolent entities."

     Yoongi closed his eyes, concentrating. Beomgyu glanced over at him, quickly bowing his head and closing his eyes as well.

     Nee'eskah took a handful of the birch ash that Hoseok kept in a container for ritual spells, in this case, a protection spell that would ward off the evil spirits that surrounded the two brothers. She strewed the ash on the ground in front of them to make the veve of Selene; an intricate drawing that took her a good five minutes to complete as she chanted out a song in an ancient language as Hoseok played along. The wind picked up a bit and the atmosphere became serene. Yoongi could smell the lavender and sage that Hoseok had lit beside him, the scent encircled them, comforting them like an invisible friend with a welcoming embrace.

     "I call upon Selene to cleanse this garden," She took a gourd rattle from her belt and began to shake it. Beomgyu jumped and Yoongi exchanged glances with him.

     "You okay?" Yoongi whispered and Beomgyu gave a quick nod before closing his eyes and focusing his head down once again.

     "Purge this space of all negativity," She shook the rattle in a circle around her, "Protect its inhabitants from the throes of evil."

     Hoseok kept a steady rhythm, beating the small drum behind them in tune to the humming of words coming from . She bent down to grab a handful of lavender from the receptacle in front of her, giving a generous sprinkling over their heads before blowing the remainder into the wind.

     "Oh generous Selene, keep the damned away," The Chu Chu Che of the rattles echoed throughout the garden, intertwining with nature. The crickets, katydids, and cicadas joined in, singing out around them like they were all holding a concert for the nature goddess. "Cleanse their minds from the intrusion of malicious intent."

     The ceremony went on for a good five minutes before Nee'eskah returned her rattle to her belt and pulled a necklace from the collection around her neck. She stood before Yoongi as he looked up at her, "May the protection of Selene warm you."

     She slipped the obsidian crystal necklace over Yoongi's neck and carefully placed the stone against his chest, marking his forehead with the birch ash she had used to make the veve. She then turned to Beomgyu and repeated the gesture. Hoseok stopped playing the drums and grabbed the burning sage. He circled them all, letting the smoke weave in and out before setting it inside the veve and backing up.

     "You may rise," Nee'eskah raised her hands. Beomgyu and Yoongi exchanged glances before rising to their feet.

     "Is that all?" Beomgyu peered down at the necklace, taking it in his palm and rubbing his thumb over the smooth surface, "no beheaded chickens?"

     Hoseok gasped, but Nee'eskah merely smiled, waving him off, "You're thinking of dark magic."

     "Is there anything I need to do?" Yoongi probed, not feeling any different than before.

     "Wear the necklace, and hang it above your bed when you sleep," She turned to Hoseok, "I'd say some more of your dandelion tea would be lovely right now."

     Hoseok bobbed his head in agreement, "Of course."

     Yoongi and Beomgyu watched as the two of them headed back towards the house.

     "I don't feel any different?" Beomgyu slipped the necklace under his hoody, wincing slightly as the cold rock hit his skin, "Do you?"

     "Well, I haven't been attacked by any ghosts in the last minute," he joked, shrugging.

     "Wow," Beomgyu frowned, "that's a good one."

     Yoongi chuckled.

      The insects began to die down and the area returned to its normal quietness. Beomgyu shivered at the cool air that caressed his skin, putting the sleeves of his hoody down and crossing his arms.

     "Come on, let's go pop open some blood bags," Yoongi tapped Beomgyu's shoulder, heading towards the gate. Beomgyu gave a sigh as he trotted after and they both disappeared into Yoongi's home.

 

     Hoseok entered the lab, arms stuffed to the brim with snacks, levitating a tea kettle out in front of him as he concentrated it over to the counter. Nee'eskah followed after carrying a tray with teacups, cream, and sugar that she placed down next to the kettle.

     "Show off," Taehyung grinned. He draped the storm drain flower clipping over the trellis he had set up earlier, in hopes that it would grow. He had been analyzing it for the last twenty minutes, writing down the little tidbits he had discovered about the flower. 

     "It's kinda pretty, yeah?" Hoseok sat and began to pour some of the tea.

     "It seems to have sprouted some since you brought it home," Taehyung backed up to stare at it.

     Nee'eskah joined Taehyung in staring at the new sproutling, "It's got an otherworldly energy about it."

     "Just hope it doesn't sprout teeth and consume us in our sleep," Hoseok expressed.

     "He hasn't changed a bit, "Nee'eskah grinned, "He was always scared something would eat him."

     Taehyung giggled.

     "In my defense, at least three things did try to eat me the first summer I spent at your cabin," Hoseok shuddered, "and don't even get me started on how many times I've been turned into animals that don't exactly thrive at the bottom of the food chain."

     "It was a good learning experience-"

     "I have trauma," Hoseok's knitted eyebrows made Taehyung crack up, only for Hoseok to throw an offended look his way.

     "Sorry," Taehyung apologized, turning back to his plant.

     "Does it have a name?" Nee'eskah inquired.

     "Nothing scientific in the database, but I am sure Genetica has given it a name," Taehyung figured, "but, I think I'll call it... Purpura Vos."

     "I like it," Hoseok took a sip of his tea.

     "How did the ritual go?" Taehyung turned, leaning against the cabinet as Nee'eskah returned to her seat.

     "It should hold for a bit, but Hoseok will have to repeat the process to keep them at bay."

     

     The morning was hectic; between Hoseok showing off the lab, Taehyung tending to some project herbs he intended to grow in the garden once they were old enough, and Beomgyu and Jungkook helping to tidy up the mess they had made... the lab was abuzz with noise.

     "I guess I should show you the reason I brought you here," Hoseok wiggled his finger in his ear, trying to concentrate as he walked over to the locked cabinet and pulled out the magically sealed box he had unearthed from gremlin city.

     Nee'eskah's face lit up, she hadn't seen one of these beauties in a long time, probably before Hoseok was born even. She recognized the type right away, the box itself was the lock. The intricate pattern was inlaid, carved by fairies and enchanted by witches.

     "If I remember correctly," she tapped the side of the box and the ivory pattern on the top began to change, shifting and twisting into a colorful 3D floral scene.

      "Woh," Taehyung and Hoseok said in unison.

      She the petal on the middle flower and again the pattern changed. She executed the final five steps before setting the box down and lightly pressing the lock mechanism.

     The box made a ticking sound as it transformed one last time into a shiny black cask.

     "Is it a bomb?" Beomgyu backed up behind Taehyung.

     "If it was, it would have exploded when Taehyung shook it-"

     "You never shake a magical box," Nee'eskah tsked.

     "I know that now," Taehyung buried his head into his hands, embarrassed.

     The ticking stopped and Viola! The top creaked open and a shimmery glow emitted from inside, lighting up their faces as they stared on in awe. Jungkook, Beomgyu, and Taehyung inched closer as Hoseok reached down inside to pull out a vintage porcelain doll.

     "That's creepy," Beomgyu remarked, backing up again.

     Hoseok sat the doll down on the lab table and moved the box aside. Her light blue eyes and wavy blonde hair were about the only normal thing they could see... if a vampire could be molded into a doll, this one was surely the prototype. Her pale white skin was decorated with reddened veins that started at her temples and carried on down her neck, disappearing under her black dress. The long lacey frock that if they could guess, was modeled after a 15th-century French royal. Small fangs peeked out from her lips, dabbed with blood that dripped down her chin as if she had just had her meal.

     "Suceur de Sang," Hoseok gulped, "One of the first french vampires, bitten while on a family vacation in Romania."

     "Isn't that one of Brahm's stories?"

     Hoseok nodded, "but it wasn't just a story, she was only eighteen when she fell ill. At first, it was cattle, drained of all their blood and left to die in the fields. Before long, villagers on the outskirts of their kingdom began to disappear."

     Taehyung recalled Brahm's third book -  Suceur de Sang, the Ghoul of France, "Laid to eternal rest by her own husband, the Marquis de Soleil."

     "The marquis of the sun?" Beomgyu shook his head, "Brahm's wasn't very creative with his names-"

     "The marquis is a real person, you dolt," Taehyung protested, "Don't ever disrespect Brahms like that again."

     Beomgyu and Jungkook gave a chuckle.

     "Either way, this doll has got to be worth a mint," Hoseok was nearly drooling as he stared on in delight. Simatra was proving to be his new best friend in treasure finds.

     "I think you should keep it," Beomgyu suggested, "Yoongi could use a girlfriend."

    Jungkook laughed, but Taehyung was not amused.

     "There is darkness within that doll, I think you should do a cleanse at the very least," Nee'eskah recommended, returning to her seat.

     "Are voodoo dolls real?" Beomgyu chimed in, hoping some form of Suceur was not using the doll as a vessel.

     "Again, you're thinking of dark magic," Nee'eskah said gently, "Not the same thing."

     "So you don't stick pins in dolls made from human skin to curse your enemies?"

     "Child, you are the epitome of stereotypical thinking."

     "I have failed you, my queen," Beomgyu spouted, a grimace befalling his features.

     Nee'eskah chuckled at the thought, "Oh my heavens, that mouth will get you in a load of trouble one day."

     Beomgyu pouted, "Why does everyone say that?"

     Taehyung gave him a pat on his back, returning his attention to the doll, "there is an empty case upstairs in the library that's the perfect size. It used to hold a football, but we kind of used it for a game the other day."

     "Simatra would roll over in her grave if she knew what has become of her prized belongings," Hoseok smirked, picking up the doll, "I'll just rehome Miss bloodsucker to the library then."

 

      Nee'eskah perused the shelves of the two-story library, stopping to admire a hardbound leathered grimoire that belonged to a well-known voodoo priestess that died a hundred years ago. She had to shake her head in disbelief; that book belonged in a museum, not stuffed into the shelves of some eccentric old hag's library. A woman that was neither a practitioner nor a good person.

     "There," Hoseok closed the case and stepped back to admire the sight.

      "It's still creepy, "Beomgyu was not a fan, he sat cross-legged on the tabletop, frowning, "Maybe you should sell it."

     "Unsettling," Taehyung had to agree.

     "Mystery solved, one less thing to worry about," Hoseok made a mental note to talk to Jimin about a possible prank later this week.

     Jungkook waltzed in, hand in hand with Seokjin like he was pulling him along to show him off.

     "Oh," Hoseok turned to Nee'eskah, "This is Seokjin-"

     Nee'eskah straightened herself up at once, a seriousness washing over her. She held her hand out and Seokjin shook it, sending chills up her spine.

     "Pleasure," Nee'eskah withdrew her hand rather quick as Hoseok looked on in alarm.

     "Likewise," Seokjin bowed his head.

     "Has anyone seen Namjoon?" Jungkook asked, oblivious to the unease that had just settled itself into the room.

     "He went to meditate, said he'd be back in a couple days," Hoseok informed, "Pity on the timing."

     "Damn, I was hoping to talk to him," Seokjin grumbled.

     "Is it about aligning forces?" 

     Seokjin looked at Hoseok like he had two heads, "Huh?"

     Hoseok looked away, wide-eyed, "Oh, maybe he didn't want people to know yet."

      "Well, you ed up then," Seokjin glided over to Hoseok, "What is going on?"

       "You can't just wait for Namjoon?"

      "When have we ever given the impression we are patient?" Jungkook asserted. Hoseok shrugged, he couldn't deny that notion.

     "He's calling on some favors with other covens and packs, two I know responded, not sure about the others."

     "Covens?" Yoongi joined them.

     "Pretty sure you know the one he's recruited," Hoseok conveyed.

     "I know all the coven heads, especially after Jacob dropped dead," Yoongi maintained, "it's nice to know we have backup."

     "He also managed to convince a pack of Kumiho to join the cause," Hoseok smiled, "Their leader has a rather mammoth bone to pick with Zane."

     "I'm sure Zane has an extensive list of enemies that would love to join the cause," Yoongi added with a dry tone, "I know the vampire council are battening down their hatches, as Dokkur put it."

      "Cato's offspring are a problem for everyone, it shouldn't be too hard to recruit," Seokjin added, remembering that, he too, was an offspring of Cato's.

     Nee'eskah cleared , glancing at her watch, "I should be heading off to the hotel, my flight is early and an old woman like me needs a good night's beauty rest."

     Hoseok gave a dispirited sigh, "the day has slipped away too quickly."

     "Ah yes, time... it waits for no man nor beast," Nee'eskah's warm smile made Hoseok even more somber.

     "I need to visit more," Hoseok fished his keys from his pocket, frowning that he went for so long without visiting his mentor, "I'll bring the car around."

     Hoseok shuffled from the room. 

     Nee'eskah turned to Yoongi, "If Agnes gives you any more trouble, I'd be happy to come back."

     "Thank you," Yoongi gave a bow and then pivoted toward his brother, about to speak, when he spotted the doll in his peripherals, "what in the holy hell is that?"

     The rest of them turned to focus on the case that Yoongi was now standing in front of with a sour expression.

     "Have you never heard of-"

      "I know who she is, why is she here?" Yoongi interrupted.

      "She was in the locked box," Taehyung piped in, wondering why Yoongi seemed so bothered, "Is something wrong?"

     "Bad memories," Yoongi sighed and turned away, "It's nothing."

      "Didn't seem like nothing," Taehyung pressed, "Do you want me to remove it?"

     "It's not a big deal, I was just surprised," Yoongi turned to Seokjin, "Want to hit the bag?"

     "Yeah, sur-" He glanced at Jungkook, eyes raised asking for permission.

     "Go for it, I have plans with Tae anyway," Jungkook joined Taehyung, "Might be back late-"

     "Plans?" Seokjin interjected, "What plans?"

     "We're teaching Beomgyu how to ride a horse."

     "I know how to ride a-" Beomgyu started, when Taehyung wrapped his arm around him, giving a nudge to stop him from finishing his sentence.

     "You don't have to be embarrassed, no one here will judge you," Taehyung was clearly lying.

      "Oh yeah, silly me," Beomgyu sputtered, trying his best to hide his confusion, "They're teaching me to ride a horse."

      "Yeah, no one buys that," Yoongi fussed.

     "I'll be back later," Jungkook gave Seokjin a kiss and then he and the other two left the room.

     "Should we be concerned?"

      "Probably," Yoongi turned to Nee'eskah, "Have a safe trip home."

     Nee'eskah gave a nod and watched as Seokjin and Yoongi left.

 

      Hoseok pulled into the hotel's parking lot, finding a spot near her room, "Here we go."

     Hoseok's gloominess filled the car with an aura that suggested he was feeling a bit guilty as well. He realized all the stories he had told the pack was about how he got turned into various animals. He rarely talked about how she was the reason he had so much knowledge of herbs and knew how to mix the right ones to make balms... She taught him to heal wounds, and how to make teas and potions; everything he knew of potioneering was from her. He was a hundred percent positive that she was the reason why his magic was so strong. When his own mother cast him out, Nee'eskah was the reason that he didn't turn to a full life of crime. To spite his love of treasures and hunting them, he could have turned out so much worse if it wasn't for her.

     Nee'eskah undid her seatbelt and sat there for a moment, pondering her thoughts, "I am glad I finally got to meet your pack members."

     "Me too," Hoseok unfastened his seatbelt and exited the car, walking around to open the door for her. He offered his hand, helping her from the car.

     He escorted her up to her door, "You know that mysterious horse and carriage bit gets me every time."

     Nee'eskah chuckled, stopping at the door, "I will never tire of the theatrics."

     "Do you mind if I ask you something?" Hoseok leaned against the wall, surveying the surroundings.

      "You can ask me anything, you know that."

     "I got this weird feeling from you when you met Seokjin-"

     "Ah," Nee'eskah grinned, "he gives off some... interesting vibes."

     "Did you sense something concerning?"

     Nee'eskah searched her words carefully, "He has two very distinct personalities inside of him."

     "Duality," Hoseok understood, "nothing new."

     "He has a lot of trauma," Nee'eskah inserted the key into the lock, "and a deep-seated wickedness inside that seems intent on being the dominant persona."

     "That sounds more than concerning."

     "His hatred for the nobles has since grown twofold. His morality is wavering," Nee'eskah pushed open the door and turned to Hoseok, "You all should keep a watchful eye."

 

      Yoongi smacked his gloves together, turning to Seokjin and swinging. Seokjin ducked as he slid on his own glove, fastening it with his teeth.

     "Yeah, way to cheat-"

     "I'm good at cheating," Yoongi smirked, pushing Seokjin back, "Hurry up, slowpoke."

    Seokjin fastened his glove, rolling his eyes at Yoongi throwing around air fists, "Well let's go, squishy."

     Yoongi scrunched up his nose, "I'll show you squishy."

     Yoongi took a swing that Seokjin dodged with minimal effort. They circled each other for a good minute before Seokjin attempted to sweep him, but Yoongi did a cartwheel, avoiding. Seokjin gave a chuckle, before cracking his neck to regain his composure. 

     "Do you want the light kicking or should I just go all out?" Yoongi asked, doing some exaggerated boxing sidesteps with his legs.

     "No holds barred," Seokjin roundhoused Yoongi to the mat.

     Yoongi kipped up, spitting a wad of bloodied saliva onto the mat, "One point, ."

     Seokjin crescent kicked Yoongi to the side of the head, dropping him once again, "Two points, . Zero points, squishy."

     Yoongi stumbled up, wiping the sweat from his brow, "Okay, we're going hardcore."

     "If you can't handle me, how you gonna handle Grendel... or Zane?"

     "With speed," Yoongi zoomed behind Seokjin, clasping his hands together, but just missing a chop to his neck. Seokjin managed to turn and throw a wind spell at him, sending him back a good few feet.

     "You're gonna have to be faster than that," Seokjin mocked.

      "Guess we've gone past sparring," Yoongi inhaled, staring Seokjin down, not even a blink.

     "If anyone were to bust down our door right now, they would make mincemeat of you," Seokjin sneered.

     "Have I done something to anger you today?" Yoongi didn't know if Seokjin was just trying to goad him or if his new mood was powered by some offense he didn't remember committing.

     "Grendel nearly made you a memory," Seokjin smacked his gloves together, "I can't imagine feeling that weak and being okay with it."

     "Okay, now you're just being a ," Yoongi griped.

     Seokjin gave a smirk as he brandished claws. Yoongi hissed back, showcasing newly grown fangs that he hadn't planned on using, this was only supposed to be a sparring match, not a 'Let's piss off Yoongi until he gets vicious' brawl.

     "Show me the badass vampire," Seokjin taunted, "Not the squishy wannabe."

     Yoongi was about ready to pummel his best friend if he heard the word 'squishy' one more god-damned time. Seokjin wants the badass, "Fine, but don't get mad when I kick your ."

     Seokjin threw a few half-hearted jabs, which succeeded in waking Yoongi up. He managed to use his skills to evade Seokjin for a good five minutes, weaving in and out of the fists and feet being thrown his way.

     "Are we warmed up now?"

     Yoongi didn't acknowledge, instead he decided to take Seokjin down to the mat and catch him in an armbar. Pop. Seokjin's elbow dislocated and he yelled out as Yoongi let go and rolled over to stand.

     "Still think I'm squishy?"

     Seokjin gave a titter, shaking off the pain as his arm healed and he stretched it, "It hurt a little, but don't get cocky."

    Yoongi frowned, holding up his hands once again, "You're in a mood today."

     Again they circled each other for a few minutes before throwing some jabs and kicks, nothing exciting.

     "I'm bored, you gonna do something or can I go down a blood bag and call it a day?"

     Yoongi's snub hit a switch in Seokjin, he did a quick sweep, knocking Yoongi onto his back. Seokjin then went for a submission, but Yoongi rolled out to stand, flipping backward away from him. Skipping forward Seokjin threw a sidekick that missed as Yoongi leaped onto the dumbbell rack, breaking it and sending the whole lot of them to scatter across the floor. Seokjin picked up a dumbbell and hurtled it at Yoongi, narrowly missing him as he vaulted over the elliptical and landed on the weight bench. The second dumbbell whizzed by his nose, shattering the mirror behind him. He did not wait around for the third one that came flying at him, he sped off the bench and ran up the side of the wall, defying gravity. He squatted there to spy Seokjin's next move.

     "Parkour?" Seokjin balked, "do better."

     Yoongi leaped off and pounced on Seokjin, taking him down, landing an elbow to his mouth. Seokjin winced as he blocked a second attack to his face and pushed Yoongi off, rolling over to a stand as Yoongi came back for another round.

     The hairs on Yoongi's arm stood at attention, his nerves on full alert newly awoken by the sudden tension in the room. It practically dripped off the walls, like the sweat that dripped from their foreheads. Yoongi had no clue what Seokjin's problem was, but he now knew he needed to prove something. 

     "You're not gonna win this," Yoongi's fangs scraped his lip, "Give up now."

     Seokjin huffed, "Yeah, you're right, I can't beat you, you're just too good."

     Seokjin did a roundhouse, but Yoongi bent backward, just narrowly missing the hefty boot that flew past his face. He swished around, grabbing Seokjin in a rear chokehold. Seokjin flailed about, dropping to his knees. He struggled to breathe as he pawed at Yoongi's arm, no use. 

     "Not today," Seokjin wheezed out, flipping Yoongi over his shoulder, laying him out. Bap, one perfectly placed fist to the vampire's mouth.

     Yoongi laughed as he stood, wiping the blood that dripped down his chin, "Damn, you are serious."

     Seokjin beckoned him forward, fists up, "Let's go."

     "Your funeral," Yoongi spat out a wad of blood and cracked his neck. Poof. He made like the wind and darted across the room in an instant, returning seconds later with a swift uppercut to the face. Seokjin hit the wall, dazed. Yoongi didn't waste any time, he dashed forward, connecting two more times and Seokjin collapsed to his knees, out of breath.

     "Is that all you got?" Seokjin looked up at him, eyes blackened.

     "Come on bro, let's stop this before someone actually gets hurt-"

     Seokjin tackled Yoongi to the mat. One, two, three cracks across the face made Yoongi hiss out, gathering up some strength to push Seokjin off of him. He managed to crawl a few feet away, but Seokjin grabbed his foot, pulling him back. Yoongi pulled his foot away, kicking Seokjin in the stomach... the angry hybrid landed on his .

     Seokjin growled, shaking every window in the room. Every ounce of sound drained from his mind, all he could hear was Yoongi's intensated heartbeat.

     "Seokjin-" Yoongi backed up, startled. He recognized this look all too well; the murderous gaze, the elongated claws and teeth. Seokjin was in predator mode... and he was the prey.  He could not falter, he had to take Seokjin down and knock him out... or run. 

    ...and he wasn't a coward. Yoongi went for it, setting up the perfect double leg takedown but Seokjin was just a little too fast, he used the momentum to flip Yoongi over him and slam him down. Seokjin wrapped his fingers around Yoongi's throat...

      Babump, babump... the beating of Yoongi's heart played in his eardrums, the beating grew louder with each second. Echoing through his head, drowning out Yoongi's pleading.

     "Seok-Seokjin," He choked out, pulling at Seokjins fingers.

     Babump, babump, babump.

     Yoongi could not remove Seokjin's hands, he felt himself fading, "Seok-"

     "Seokjin," Hoseok's voice rang out as he made haste and darted across the room, holding his hand out and chanting, "Alligant."

     An invisible rope wrapped around Seokjin's arms, constricting him. He let go of Yoongi and fell to the floor.

     "Somnum," Hoseok mumbled the sleeping spell and Seokjin was out cold.

      Yoongi gasped in some air, filling his lungs as he coughed, grabbing his chest.

     "Are you okay?" Hoseok bent down to Yoongi.

     "Th-thank," Yoongi coughed out, "Thanks."

     "Don't worry about it," Hoseok helped him to stand, peering over at Seokjin.

 

     Hoseok and Yoongi plopped Seokjin down on the lab table, backing up.

     "What the happened?" Hoseok sat on the stool, taking a deep breath as Yoongi leaned against the cabinet, rubbing his neck.

     "He snapped, I don't know."

      Jungkook came busting into the lab, spying Seokjin on the lab table and then turning to Yoongi... who was looking a little worse for the wear, "What did I miss?"

     Taehyung and Beomgyu filed in behind him.

     "Is this telepathy?" Hoseok was shocked, "How the hell did you know?"

     "I felt it, I felt his anger."

     "He attacked Yoongi, nearly killed him-"

     Jungkook gagged, as some sort of smell permeated his nostrils, "What is that smell?"

      Hoseok shook his head, "What smell?"

     Jungkook rested his palm against his head, a terrible pain bored itself into his frontal lobe, like the smell had seeped inside and was trying to bust it open.

     "My head is on ing fire," Jungkook's eyes turned a brilliant blue as he backed into the lab table and fell on his .

     The flower twitched beside Taehyung, spraying out a spore that landed on his shoulder. He spun around, noticing the flower had bloomed; three-inch petals of purply hues with a red center on full display... the whole plant had grown at least two feet since he sat it on the trellis earlier, "What the hell?"

      "Aghhh, the smell," Jungkook grabbed his head, "I think I'm gonna puke."

     Taehyung ripped a petal off and it in front of Jungkook's nose. The younger roared out, his teeth growing out past his lip as if he was about to transform. He swung his claws at Taehyung with a fervor, a scant inch from his carotid. Taehyung flinched back, yanking the blossom away. 

     "Woh," Hoseok pulled Taehyung back, snatching the flower from him. Was the flower making Jungkook aggressive?

    "Get them out of here," Taehyung motioned to Yoongi and Beomgyu to remove Jungkook and Seokjin from the room.

     Yoongi heaved Seokjin over his shoulder as Beomgyu grabbed Jungkook's arm and they both left the lab with the two hybrids.

     Hoseok ripped the remaining flowers from the vine and stuffed them all inside a specimen bag, sealing it up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter