The Witching Hour

Quietus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Magic lies in challenging what seems impossible - Carol Moseley Braun

 

 

     Hyunjin's 'reading' setup was quite different from Hoseok's; first, the location was outside, in the barn. Hyunjin said the open area was way better for the vibes than a stuffy, unwelcoming lab. Second, the use of candles to produce a nice scent of vanilla and elderberry was tranquil- "a pleasant scent stimulates the brain, opening up memories, and eases breathing." Third, Hyunjin's technique was just way calmer, he wasn't a nervous wreck and chanting about getting melded together every other second.

     "I think Hobi might get sad if you tell him Hyunjin's technique is loads better," Seokjin leaned against the stall, observing the whole ritual.

     Hyunjin smiled, "It's elvish."

     "Elves do calm well, Hoseok could do with some stress relief," Jungkook was merely suggesting that his stress level was always too elevated and maybe the silly guy just needed to get high or something.

     "Lay down on the blanket and get comfy," Hyunjin instructed and Jungkook did so, kicking off his shoes as he sat on the blanket, cracking his neck as he laid back.

     Hyunjin lit the last candle and then blew out the match, setting the matchbook aside and sitting cross-legged at the back of Jungkook's head.

     "Do you need me to do anything?" Seokjin asked.

     "Monitor us both," Hyunjin adjusted his feet for more comfort, "Not that anything will go wrong, but if either of us appears distressed, pinch me."

     "Weird, but okay."

     "Okay, Jungkook, what I need you to do is let your mind wander to happy thoughts, think about some good times or a special memory," Hyunjin spoke in a soft, soothing voice, "A memory from your childhood that was really special."

     "Okay," Jungkook closed his eyes. The first memory that flashed in his mind, was when he was eating cake during his fifth birthday party. His mother had baked him the biggest puppy-shaped cake he had ever seen and all the friends he had invited to his party were in awe.

     "Puppy cake, cute."

     "You can see that?"

     "This technique is a bit more invasive than what Hoseok does, I'm relying more on a psychic connection."

      ", I better be careful what I think about," Jungkook cleared his throat, smiling to himself.

     "I'm not looking for your moments," Hyunjin smirked, "I need a negative emotion from you now, a memory that made you angry."

     All Jungkook had to do was think of Yoongi, which evoked plenty of negative feelings in him.

     "Now I want you to think of a memory with Cato-"

     Jungkook's head twitched, he could feel Hyunjin in his brain now, but it wasn't unpleasant enough for him to want to stop. Hyunjin rested his hands alongside Jungkook's ears, but not touching them. He watched as Jungkook put his fist through Cato's chest, the backdrop was the fire at the cemetery at the old castle.

     "Cato's death, how appropriate."

     Hyunjin weaved his way through several more memories before Jungkook had drifted off into a light sleep, that's when he was able to see the whole ordeal unfold. Zane had accessed some memories and stole some DNA in the process. DNA was needed in order for Cato to be able to sustain life in Jungkook's body smoothly, since he was Tempest's descendant. A blood bond was the strongest, but since Cato could not count on Seokjin, it was a workaround that he found could be bypassed. It took a good ten minutes for Hyunjin to figure out the plan, then another ten to form a link to figure out what they might try to do next.

 

     Hyunjin followed Jungkook and Seokjin into the meeting room, walking past them as they took their seats at the table. Everyone else was finishing up lunch while waiting for the report on what Cato was up to. Hyunjin joined Sunoo at the head of the table, turning to glance at Sunghoon, who stood behind his fiancé. 

     Sunghoon cleared his throat to get everyone's attention,"Did the reading reveal anything?"

      "From what I can see, Cato can enter Zane's consciousness and use one of his clones to do his bidding while he sleeps."

     "So it's one of Zane's clones doing the killing?"

     "Fully guided by Cato," Hyunjin revealed, "Whether or not Zane is aware of the activities is up for debate."

     "Explain," Sunghoon asked.

      "I am leaning towards he has some clue that something isn't right, but not full recollection of any of the events other than he wakes up in places he doesn't remember going to, with blood on his hands he doesn't remember spilling."

     "I am sure offering up his body like that has earned him some sort of reward, seems too far-fetched that he wouldn't have consented," Seokjin reckoned.

     "Still has deniability too," Namjoon added, "If caught, he can plead that he had no clue what was happening."

     "Jungkook is his target for a new body, Zane was collecting DNA so that the transfer could happen without any unforeseen circumstances."

      "Do the world a favor, let Cato have him," Yoongi muttered with a smirk, but loud enough for Seokjin to hear.

     "Would you shut the up," Seokjin snapped, "I'm getting really sick of your bull."

     Yoongi fake-zipped his mouth and threw away the imaginary key.

     "Any inkling on where Zane might be holed up?" Jimin asked.

     "No, sorry, I can only see bits and pieces," Hyunjin turned to Jungkook, "You can take one of the candles with you if you like, it will help with the headache."

    Jungkook nodded.

     "How are we coming along on the portal project?" Sunoo queried.

     "Hoseok is working on it as we speak," Namjoon answered but Jimin took over the conversation.

     "He was able to send through two frogs, one was a complete catastrophe, I'm talking animal inside out, guts everywhere-" Jimin stopped the explanation when he saw the horrified expression on Sunoo's face, "But the second one was a success," Jimin explained, "Problem with going through is the temperature can either become elevated or freezing."

     "Taehyung is perfecting a potion to fix the issue," Namjoon stated.

    "Anyway to get a CHIM into Joy's compound and spy on what she's doing?"

    "When Jisung said she tightened security he wasn't kidding, anything that makes it to that roof, instantly fried."

     "Complete fireworks display," Beomgyu made an explodey noise with his mouth, "RIP Chimmy #2."

     Sunghoon focused on Beomgyu, taking a moment to collect his thoughts.

     "Beomgyu, if it's alright with Namjoon, I would like to propose a little... uh.. project of my own," Sunghoon looked towards Namjoon for the confirmation nod and then turned to Beomgyu, "Seems we have a wayward youngling issue."

      "So Soobin and Yeonjun?" Beomgyu guessed it, Sunghoon gave a nod, "You want me to teach them the ways of the dark one?"

     Sunghoon's confused brows made Namjoon chuckle, he had no clue how... blunt... Beomgyu could be. 

     "Umm," Sunghoon twitched his head, "No?"

      "My skill set is impressive for my age, Artis taught me well," Beomgyu gave him a wink, "Minimal mischief."

     "What a whimsical display," Sunoo clapped his palms together, overjoyed.

     "I am sure Artis embraced the addition in their stuffy old halls," Sunghoon's comment was both sarcastic and sincere and Beomgyu had visible gears turning, trying to figure out which he was trying to convey.

     "I kept it fresh," Beomgyu smiled, "What project did you have in mind? Babysitter?"

     "Training," Sunghoon answered simply, "I want the three of you to train together, our next generation of warriors."

     "Our guests seem restless," Sunoo added, "I think giving everyone a purpose is good for the soul."

      "I'll be your huckleberry," Beomgyu offered, "but... my tactics must never be questioned."

     "Your, your tactics?" Sunghoon wondered if he had just opened a can of worms that could not be resealed.

     "And I want one of those head crab things, alive-"

     "Beomgyu?" Namjoon raised a questioning eyebrow that gave straight, chill with the weirdness vibes.

     "I'll keep it on a leash?"

     "Specifics can be worked out," Sunghoon scratched his eye, for it began to twitch at the very thought of what Beomgyu intended to do with a head crab.

     "I'm down," Beomgyu wrapped his arm around Sunghoon, leaning in to whisper, "I'd like a codename, something that makes people cower at the mere mention of."

     Sunghoon backed away, "Sunoo?"

     Sunoo smiled, grabbing Beomgyu's arm and pulling him away from his fiance, "We'll work out the details today."

     

     SEPTEMBER 15

 

     "A haunting melody to awaken the doleful, the woe of the changing season," Brahms passed a book off to Taehyung, looking to the next book on the vast shelf in the library at the estate, "the ever longing-"

     "The ever-longing silence?"

     "The ever-longing silence, yes," Brahms was impressed, "Your knowledge of books is almost as impressive as your selection of rare treasures."

     "Simatra enjoyed collecting, I haven't even discovered half of her plunder."

     "As per your problem, I have only ever known three Djinn and they were quite the foul variety."

     "Cato is using one of his clones to do bad things while he sleeps."

     "Oh the Djinn do love their slumber," Brahms pulled a book from the shelf, "gifted shapeshifters and dream weavers, theology enthusiasts.. the folklore surrounding a djinn is vast and it depends on what religion you're associating them with."

     "A Djinn/onyx hybrid with great loyalty to his father."

     "You should study demonology, non pures tend to dabble in the darker arts," Brahms commented, "I have yet to hear about a hybrid Djinn that is of good nature."

     "I have yet to hear about one of Cato's offspring being of good nature-"

     "I take offense to that," Seokjin peeked around the bookcase.

     "Am I wrong?" Taehyung smirked, he did tend to forget that Seokjin was related to that foul beast.

     "A spare few have existed," Seokjin joined them, "Harley was a pure soul."

     "An anomaly for sure," Taehyung turned to Brahms, "This is Seokjin, Seokjin, Brahms."

     "A pleasure," Brahms held out his hand and Seokjin gave it a firm shake.

     "With the way Tae talks about you, I feel like I already know you."

     Brahms gave a smile before turning back to peruse the titles of the books to his right.

     "Raven will be arriving at noon, and heading over to the Ranch thereafter. Namjoon wants a meeting to go over all of her info."

     "Oh sure, what time?"

     "Two hours."

     "Okay, thanks."

     "Oh, and Jimin said he needs an ointment for sunburn?"

     "Should I be concerned?"

     "At this stage in the game? Always suspect something is about to go down."

 

     Beomgyu was standing in the back of the room with Yeonjun and Soobin, the three of them deep into a conversation, over what Jungkook could not hear, but he wanted so badly to join them. His wreak-mischief -o-meter was low. His best friend was up to his eyeballs in spectrometer stuff and meetings with Brahms, even Mochi had seen more of Tae this week than he had.

     "I'll be right back," Jungkook told Seokjin as he stood, his curiosity at full peak, getting the better of him. He waltzed over to the trio.

     "JK, my man," Beomgyu did a special handshake with him that made the other two stare on with contrasting emotions, Yeonjun was unimpressed and Soobin looked eager to make up his own handshake too.

      "You guys look like your planning some ."

     "You want in?"

      "Depends."

      "You only witness genius a few times in your life," Beomgyu uttered.

     "He's too cocky," Yeonjun grimaced, "They'll know it was him."

      "This er has no chill," Beomgyu looked over his shoulder at the lot of them conversing at the end of the table, "It's too simple to make anyone mad."

     "What are we talking about?"

      "Small prank, ease the doom and gloom a bit."

     "I'm intrigued."

      "Plus Yoongi's been insufferable, figure you'd love this one," Beomgyu smiled.

      "Peevish, pesky, full of spite, emerge a spirit, ever so trite. Kaboom Kabosh, come to the light, abra-kadabra let the unruly take flight," Yeonjun winked his eyes and a small spirit flashed into existence, confused like someone had kidnapped it away from his dinner.

     "Yoongi," Beomgyu whispered and the spirit focused his attention on one white-haired vampire leaning against the table, pointing out a position on the map to Namjoon and Sunghoon.

     The pint-sized poltergeist dive-bombed, snatching the map up in its grasp and elevating itself just out of Yoongi's reach.

     "What the hell?" Yoongi yelled out and everyone stopped to witness the spectacle.

     "♪ So close, So close," the spirit laughed, "Just a little higher. ♪"

     "Where did that come from?" Sunoo looked affronted, "Do we have a ghost infestation?"

     "Give me the map you little prick," Yoongi swiped but the ghost was a bit too fast.

     "♪ Too short, too short, little man is too short ♪. "

      Yoongi jumped, trying to grab the map, only to notice Beomgyu and Jungkook laughing at the spirit taunting him. Yoongi's sudden recognition of a poltergeist conjuring spell hit him, "You little son of a ."

     Yoongi lunged at Jungkook, grabbing his collar as Beomgyu tripped and fell backward. Jungkook leaned back as an elbow flew by his nose and then he hit the floor, an angry vampire on top of him, yellowed eyes narrowed with fury.

     "Woh, Yoongi-" Namjoon attempted to make it across the room to pull him off, but a sudden light blinded everyone. Everyone froze watching as Jungkook's being began to pulsate with intense brightness.

     Yoongi fell to the side, throwing up his hand as a barrier beat against him, pushing him back a good foot across the carpet. Jungkook stood, looming over Yoongi with hatred etched into his skin.

     "Not this time," Jungkook's voice was deepened, angry. He grabbed Yoongi by the front of his shirt and lifted him a good several feet into the air, drawing back a fist that near connected with the surprised vampire's face before Yoongi fell from his grasp, like being pulled away by an invisible force.

     "Lux mitia, tensio otium, " a new face emerged from the back of the room, throwing up her hands, she them towards Jungkook and he flew back against the wall, pelted with a strong wind that only seem to target him and not the area around him.

     Seokjin pulled her arm and the wind stopped, he nullified her spell. She turned to him, holding her hands up to show she was no threat.

     "What the holy just happened?" Sunghoon was beside himself.

     "I beg your pardon, but had I not interfered, Mr. Yoongi might not still be with us."

     "What was that?" Sunoo was in awe and horrified at the same time.

     "If left to fester, that spell could have ignited the whole room," she bowed to Sunghoon and Sunoo, "I was only stopping a catastrophe."

     Jungkook took a deep breath, hands on his knees, he felt weak.

     "Are you okay?" Seokjin held on to him, leaning down, "are you hurt?"

     Jungkook shook his head, "Just exhausted."

     "Take him to one of the bedrooms, he can rest there for as long as he needs to," Sunoo offered and Seokjin nodded, leading the younger from the room.

     "Can someone explain how a poltergeist just appeared from thin air?" Sunghoon glanced around the room, settling his eyes on Beomgyu who looked guilty as hell.

     "It was a prank," Soobin spoke up.

     "A prank?" Sunghoon bleated, appearing next to Beomgyu in a flash, "You thought this was the time and place to pull a prank?"

     Beomgyu hung his head, "I'm sorry."

     "Why did you do it?" Sunghoon demanded.

     "Doom and gloom wrinkle the skin," Beomgyu answered and Sunghoon thought he was being a smartass.

     "When I suggested the three of you form a group, it was not to produce tomfoolery," Sunghoon's teeth peeked out past his lip, "We are on the brink of a war, pranks and jokes will get you or one of your friends killed."

     Beomgyu nodded, head still hung.

     "If you cannot follow simple rules, then maybe I put my trust in the wrong person."

     "It won't happen again."

     "Show some self-control, you're a vampire royal, not a jester," Sunghoon turned to Yeonjun, "Since he seems incapable of leadership, I place you in charge."

     Yeonjun nod his head, exchanging glances with Soobin.

     "Now get out of my sight before I let my anger consume me and do something you won't like."

     Beomgyu glared wide-eyed at Sunghoon, lost in time for a moment before Yeonjun grabbed his wrist and pulled him from the room, along with Soobin.

     "I apologize sir, if I offended thee in any way," the young lady bowed and Sunghoon focused his attention on her.

      "No, Aurora, I thank you for your assistance."

     Aurora turned to Yoongi, "If I may, I would like to look him over for any trauma?"

    Sunghoon thought the request was a bit odd, but granted it anyway and Aurora and Yoongi left the room.

 

     Aurora walked into the kitchen, turning to Yoongi, "Are you okay?"

     "Thanks to your quick reaction," Yoongi pulled her close, "I was lucky you were there."

     Aurora smiled, "You weren't kidding about Seokjin, he negated my magic in an instant."

     "You know, I'm fine, you're going to make them suspicious by bringing me away."

     "Are you ever going to tell anyone we're dating?"

      "I am not sure what this is, so no, not yet."

     "Or are you not sure because you've been seeing my sister Skye too?"

     "Don't let it fuel a rivalry, you're up a point for saving my ."

     Aurora pouted, "Fine, but spellcasting vampires aren't forgiving and her temper is worse than mine."

     "I'm not looking to be tied down right now, unless you mean literally to a bed post and then I'm game."

     Aurora blushed.

 

      Taehyung managed to build a habitat for the two remaining centipedes from the burrow, a glass enclosure for maximum study, set in the dark part of the garden shed so that the sun wouldn't bother them. He backed up as he set the lid over top and draped a small cloth atop the cage. Jungkook leaned against the door, observing.

      "Any info on toadzilla?"

     "Toadzilla?" Taehyung chuckled, "It's a cane toad, native to central America mostly, how it ended up here, probably Akiyama? or maybe Simatra had a weird fascination with them, whatever the answer, they love centipedes."

     "I feel somehow this is Charlie revenge, for all the experimentation Hobi did on their brethren."

     "Bizarre karma," Taehyung sighed, "Either way these two should be safe unless these toads have lockpicking skills."

     "I would put nothing past nature right now," Jungkook mumbled.

     "How goes centipede-topia?" Jimin appeared in the doorway.

     "All set, cage done," Taehyung turned to Jimin, "Raven show up yet?"

     "No and it's not a good sign, she was seen at the airport and then after that, nothing."

     "If Zane got to her, she is probably dead."

     "Don't count her out yet, she's strong," Jimin touted, "and smart."

     "Stronger than a murderous Cato-controlled clone?" Taehyung challenged.

     "I think pretty even."

     Beomgyu shuffled past the shed, heading towards his cabin.

     "Hey, Beomgyu?" Jungkook called out.

     "Not in the mood," Beomgyu called after, slamming his door.

     "Never seen him this down before," Taehyung observed.

     "Sunghoon gave him quite the verbal beating."

     "Speaking of weird that happened today, what was up with that vampire that disarmed you?"

     "Aurora?"

     "I think Yoongi is dating her," Jimin didn't want to assume, but he overheard a sound he knew too well, lip smacking and saliva exchange, from the kitchen.

     "Dating?" Taehyung and Jungkook said in unison.

     "Pretty sure Yoongi is on a crash course of IDGAF at the moment, so nothing he does or will do much surprises me anymore."

     "Well good, maybe now he'll ease off Seokjin's and we can be happy."

     "Yoongi preoccupied does not equal Yoongi easing up, he's a relentless prick," Jimin rolled his eyes.

      A beeping sounded in the corner and Jimin walked over to the intercom, "What?"

     "Raven has been found-"

     "Alive?"

     "No," Seokjin's saddened voice came back, "but her suitcase was found at the airport, untouched."

     "," Taehyung frowned, "Zane?"

     "Suspicion unconfirmed, but most plausible."

     "How the hell did he get to her?"

     "Her limo was found twenty miles from the airport, an extreme amount of blood covered the floorboards and seats."

     "Her body?"

     "In the woods, torn apart and not pretty, she suffered... a lot."

     Taehyung slumped against the gardening table, "Cato was the only one that knew she was at Genetica."

     "She was an offspring, he could have infiltrated her mind," Jimin shook his head.

     "What a sad waste," Taehyung blubbered, "Zane needs to be put down asap."

     "I think I need to pay a visit to Cato," Seokjin suggested, "Have a little chat."

     

     SEPTEMBER 16

 

     In the citadel of the gods, something sinister shrouded the once calming feeling that exuded within the walls. Seokjin was sure it was just his imagination. This was his first solo visit to the realm and he was about to see the man that had ordered his death. The man that was taking his sweet time showing up, that had already made Seokjin wait fifteen minutes.

     Seokjin checked his watch, "Is this on purpose?"

     "Are we impatient," Cato's voice rumbled the walls and Seokjin turned to see the blackened entrance light up and then Cato saunter through.  A nice set of legs replacing the stumps from the last time he saw his grandfather.

     "We are, but only because you're stalling."

     "It is good to see you in the flesh," Cato bowed his head.

     "Is it?" Seokjin just wished to bypass the games, "I know it was probably very sad to see Zane didn't finish me off."

     "Am I to assume you would succumb to mere nails to the throat?"

     "Was it you inside him or was this his doing?"

     "Humans are either terrified of us or oddly curious," Cato walked a circle around Seokjin, "They want to be us, do what we can do... and when they can't, then they want to control us or terminate our existence."

     Seokjin did not react.

    "This is why you were always my favorite, you can't be controlled or swayed," Cato revealed, "you keep fighting me."

    "I mean the concept is always the same, that which you cannot have, you want the most."

     "Zane did the convincing, he really does not like you... but it was I that controlled him that night. It was I that would have seen you dead."

     There was a deafening silence.

     "I won't let you have Jungkook, so you might as well seek out another solution."

     "That's not up to you to decide, but maybe I can be swayed to seek out another partisan-"

     "Take Zane he seems willing to prove himself."

     "Zane is loyal, I need someone by my side to help carry out my plans."

     "What's not working with your current home?"

     "This body? This body has suffered greatly, it's worn down more than I would like to admit."

     "Shame."

      "And you have most of my original powers, so you can see why I'd like to start anew."

     "Then find someone else, because it ain't happening with Jungkook."

     "Are you really in the position to make ultimatums, Seokjin?"

     "Are you really in the position to test me?" Seokjin warned, his eyes darkened to their characteristic full black.

     Cato could feel the force field forming around Seokjin and he gave a chuckle, "Your magic really was the best thing you could have awakened."

      "I don't care if they put me to death," Seokjin spoke, "if you touch him, I will kill you."

     "Then find me a suitable donor," Cato demanded.

     "No, I won't be doing your dirty work, if you want someone's body, then you seek one out."

     "Curious where your sudden confidence is coming from."

     "I know how far I'd go to protect him," Seokjin proclaimed with absolution, "there is nothing that will take him from me ever again."

     "Not an ounce of fear in that statement," Cato was impressed, "nor any doubt."

     "My question for you is why did you kill Raven?"

     "She knew too much," Cato shrugged, "I can't have your pack in my business this soon."

     Seokjin smirked, "So you're scared?"

     "There was no reason to fear that plebeian, just there are some details she knew that could throw a wrench in my plans."

      "And where does Joy stand in that scheme?"

     "Joy is a loose cannon, but she isn't in my way, she's just a distraction for you all."

     "Splendid."

     "Now if that's all the questions you have, I will be taking my leave."

     "We will stop you, you do know that?"

     "I mean you will try your best, but you're no god, Seokjin."

     "Whatever that means."

     Cato disappeared back through the veil, leaving the room empty once again.

 

     A crack of lightning lit up the lab, as Hoseok sent two ragged-looking cats through to the other dimension. 

     "Why can't you just create your own portal?" Beomgyu asked, watching as Hoseok set the spectrometer down and went straight to the computer to view the cam.

     "We're working up to it," Jimin answered since his best friend was a bit preoccupied, "It's not an easy thing to do with what we have."

     "Then why not borrow a portal from the museum?"

     "They don't offer them up to just anyone-"

     "I mean saving the world seems like a damn good reason," Beomgyu argued.

     "These things require a lot of red tape we don't have time for," Jimin explained, "And half their people are stuck in one of the broken portals at the moment."

     "What if those cats come back inside out, you going to feel good about yourselves?"

     "Is this one of those simpatico species things?"

     "What the ? No?" Beomgyu spouted, "You think just 'cause they're strays they don't deserve respect?"

     "Well if you'd rather offer yourself up to be eviscerated, then have at it, but I am pretty sure we figured out the formula to protect them upon transfer."

     "Success," Hoseok yelled out, moving aside to show the screen and the two cats running along the ground on the other side.

     "Thank ing Dagma," Beomgyu cheered, "I swear to god my heart cannot take this."

 

     Two hours later, Hoseok was checking over cat number one, doing vitals, and checking for any brain functions that might have been altered.

     "Everything seems good, temperature elevated by a point, but nothing that would fry their brains."

     "So, what's next?" Namjoon set the second cat down and Hoseok began to look him over too.

     "Human trial, I suggest someone we don't like very much," Jimin kidded, kind of.

     "I need to harness something bigger if we send a human through, there is a super moon happening in two days, we should be able to produce enough juice to send someone through and bring them back after five minutes."

     "Also, it's fair to mention that in fourteen days, there is a partial solar eclipse, which is when we should go in and wipe her and her army out," Jimin put his thoughts out there.

     "How many people could you send through during a partial eclipse?"

     "Twenty, at least, if my calculations are right," Hoseok estimated, only a fair amount of doubt in his tone.

     "The stronger the event, the more we can expand, the more we can send through," Jimin added.

     "I don't want any casualties."

     "Understood," Jimin nodded, "We also have Demetrius working with some experts, he plans to stop by in the next few days, he's getting us some supplies."

     "Thank Dagma, he's on our side."

    

     SEPTEMBER 20

 

     Hoseok had managed to send a human through to the other side, one of Sunghoon's men volunteered. Everything had gone well, he came back of sound mind, no body parts missing, and all guts on the inside where they belonged. The power from the super moon event opened it up for five hours, longer than they anticipated. Demetrius brought parts by so they could make it an official portal, he also taught them how to use solar power to charge it and store the excess.

     Jimin had also managed to mount a stable cam in the trees by Joy's compound with the help of a set of new CHIMs that Demetrius had dropped off from their newly manufactured line.

     "Super all-terrain Chimmy," Taehyung laughed, "Does he have one that flies yet?"

     "Yes, and he dropped that one off too," Jimin held it up and the headgear that came with it.

     "Demetrius's CHIM game is on point."

     "The last one is like a submarine, it can dive up to 50 feet, " Jimin held it up, "I asked him to make some for Luna, figure MOES could use the help with the mess at Sapphire Bay."

      "What if it gets eaten?"

     "Built-in Sushi mode," Jimin's devious smile made Taehyung question life.

     "Poor fish."

     Seokjin and Jungkook walked into the lab.

     "Intrusion?"

     "We are here to test the boundaries of the spectrometer."

     "Huh?" Hoseok stared up from his work.

    "Namjoon wants you to send us through, we're going to set up a base in that building Jimin found," Seokjin announced.

     "Are you serious?" Hoseok was alarmed, "What if I fry you?"

     "Then I guess you'll need to tweak things," Seokjin set his knapsack down, turning to the younger to give him a kiss.

     Namjoon entered the room moments later.

     "Jimin, I'd like for you to join them, bring some CHIMS, we're going to attempt to have eyes on Joy in there."

     "I didn't store a lot of the excess from the super moon, what if they get stuck?"

     "Demetrius showed you how to harness small energy from the sun, have you not been doing that?"

     "Yeah, but I didn't expect to have to send some people through today."

     "Have faith in the system," Namjoon gave Hoseok a shoulder tap and then turned to the exploration group, "Be nimble, but don't skimp."

     "Let my epitaph read, 'he was nimble, but the not skimping is what killed him'," Seokjin kidded.

     "Bring back any sort of info from that place that you can, if this was a headquarters, their files are probably teeming with goodies."

     "I might need Demetrius to figure out how to decode their prime language," Jimin expressed, the first time he had his CHIM hack into their systems, it came back with some sort of language that Jimin or Taehyung couldn't make out.

 

      The portal opening wee-woonged in its frame as Jungkook stared at it, a basket of nerves. He chewed on his lip, imagining what kinds of things might still be alive in this other place.

     "Relax," Seokjin placed his hands on the younger's shoulder, "we're in and out."

     "I know."

     "Do you? because your face right now is somewhere between horror and insanity."

     "My nerves are mirroring," Jungkook sighed.

     "You're a master with the crossbow, nothing will dare try to harm you."

     "I fear no monster!" Jungkook exclaimed, raising his crossbow into the air, mimicking his favorite character on the show he binged a month ago.

     Seokjin smiled, "It's practically free target practice."

      "Okay, I'm ready," Jimin announced, throwing his knapsack over his shoulder and grabbing his CHIM case.

     "Me too," Beomgyu appeared in the doorway, clad in attire you would expect to see at Comic-con; Chainmail hood, garish iron padded chest plate, and bronze spiky shoes with some sort of dragon emblem on the heel. The whole ensemble would be more at home at a D&D table than on a person.

     "What the are you wearing?" Jungkook chuckled.

      "Can you be serious?" Seokjin shook his head.

     "What?" Beomgyu looked down, spinning in a circle, "For what it lacks in style, it makes up for in survivability."

     "Where did you even find this?" Jimin poked at his hood, "Is that chainmail?"

     "It was in the attic."

     "I mean if we want to make them laugh to death, then I suppose we will be thanking you after this mission is over," Seokjin was beyond amused.

     "Yeah, laugh now, but when something swoops in and breaks its teeth from the metal, you will be wishing you grabbed the second set."

     "It's unconventional but if it gives him confidence, who cares how stupid it looks," Jungkook stated, giving Beomgyu a wink.

      Beomgyu smiled, pulling out his crossbow.

 

      Hoseok gave the thumbs up and walked over to them as they gathered at the portal.

     "It will be up for 40 minutes, after that I can't promise it will be stable, so don't get stuck over there."

     "I mean if we do, we just pop up at Joy's portal and ruin her day," Jungkook joked.

     "We could still do that ya know," Beomgyu posed.

     "We don't even know where she is and we don't have time to do a full search. For now, we establish a base."

     "No fun," Beomgyu frowned.

     "You want fun, we can use you as target practice-"

     Beomgyu stuck his tongue out at Seokjin, who just giggled.

     "Try to gather as many samples as you can carry," Taehyung reminded, "Don't forget to seal the specimen bags."

     "Will do, we good to go?" Seokjin turned to Hoseok and he nodded, then turned to the rest of them, "We throw Beomgyu through first and if he doesn't explode, we're golden."

     Beomgyu laughed, "That was actually a good one."

     "Stay close, guns at the ready," Seokjin said before walking through the portal, *poof* he was gone.. several shots of blue static shot out from the portal.

     "Cross your fingers we don't come back inside out," Jungkook walked through second.

     "I think for Beomgyu it would be an improvement," Jimin jumped through.

     "Yeah haha," Beomgyu frowned, shaking his head as he followed Jimin.

     Hoseok walked over to the laptop, peering at the live footage from Seokjin's body cam.

     "Surprisingly good quality," Taehyung commented as Jungkook came into view, giving a little wave.

 

      OFFICE/LAB OUTPOST BUILDING? ALTERNATE WORLD 34B.

 

     The four of them stepped out of the portal, setting foot on to barren land, hardened and cracked soil as far as the eye could see. It was littered with jagged rocks that were probably broken off from the mountains in the distance. Distinct char marks tinged the soil in splotches, whether left from fireballs from humanoid-manufactured weapons, magic, or biota, they had no clue at the current moment. 

     Jungkook kicked at a carcass of a head-crab face-hugger (they hadn't decided on a proper name yet), it didn't sprout up and try to murder him, easing his nerves a bit.

     "We assume the worst from these things but what if they are just misunderstood herbivores?" Beomgyu proposed, "Snuffed from the planet by barbaric extremists just for simply existing."

     "It's a theory," Seokjin took note that there was no plant life in a 100x100 foot radius around the building, but patches were beginning to sprout just beyond. Nature invades, reclaiming what it owns.

     "Ugly ers," Jungkook pulled out his crossbow, setting his sights on the two-story steel building with protruding steam vents, behind him. It looked like a small factory and office building all in one.

     A sudden woosh of stagnant air shot out as Jimin opened the door.

    "Better than a face hugger," Seokjin walked in, shining his flashlight around the room.

     Jimin flipped the light switch and the lights flickered to life.

     "And there was electricity, woo," Beomgyu commentated like he was at a sporting event, "the doomed foursome might live after all."

     Jimin walked over to the computer and set down his CHIM case, popping it open and removing one of his children.

     "Jungkook and I will secure the rest of the building, on com 1 if you need us."

     "Stay alert."

    The two of them left via the hallway door. Beomgyu scanned the room for useful objects, ones that might fit into his pack or pockets. He leaned in to read one of the flyers on the wall, recognizing the hieroglyphic type symbols, "This is draconic."

    "Huh?" Jimin was only half paying attention as he hooked up the CHIM to their computer.

     "The language, draconic," Beomgyu pulled the paper from the wall and shuffled over to Jimin, "They're a race of dragonkin."

     "Are you sure?"

     "Yeah, this is written with the draklingual alphabet," Beomgyu traced the first word with his finger, "I took it as an elective in school."

     "You can decipher that?"

     "I mean some of it, there are some words here that I strictly think might be of this world."

     "I might need your help then, it seems their computers are in the same language," Jimin fretted, "Upside is that they don't use passwords here."

     "So they were trusting of each other."

     "Could be a possibility."

     "You should just bring the whole thing back, I am sure Demetrius' people would have a field day."

     "That is the first smart thing you've said all week."

 

     Seokjin peered into several rooms through the glass doors that shut them away from the corridor, nothing much exciting, just desks.

     "I found their cafeteria," Jungkook opened the door and headed inside. Seokjin hurried across the hall to join him. Several tables and chairs were plopped down in the middle of the medium-sized room, with the cafeteria counters and kitchen at the far end.

     Seokjin glanced down at the half-eaten bowl of whatever sitting on the first table, "Moldy."

    Jungkook perused the snack selection on the wall, several bags of snacks hung from hooks and he pocketed three of them, grabbing a fourth to taste test. Seokjin watched as a bug scurried across the floor in front of him, the six-inch monstrosity eerily resembled a mix of cockroach and scorpion and he for sure thought he hallucinated it.

     "Nothing looks out of place," Jungkook mentioned, "It doesn't appear as if they left suddenly from an attack."

     "I wonder if they lived here or if this was just a workplace."

    "More exploration," Jungkook announced as he peered out the window at the sky outside, "Hmm, two suns."

     Seokjin noticed a moon hanging off to the left, "and a moon."

     "Crescent moon, pretty bright."

 

     Beomgyu pulled a map of the facility from the corkboard, hidden away under several BS notices he assumed from management about cleaning up your work area before leaving for the day.

     "Management is the same everywhere," Beomgyu held up the map to his body cam with a thumbs-up sign before slipping it into a plastic bag.

     "This oughta make Hoseok happy," Jimin found several dead insectoids littering the floor just under the water cooler, one by one he slid them into a specimen bag, "Think this one is a spider," he scooped up a spiky eight-legged critter that was missing a front leg, "The fangs on this thing look scary."

     "The scariest looking are usually the most helpless."

     Jimin tapped the flattened cup that was wedged under one side of the cooler, serving as a means to even out the wobbly machine, collecting some egg casings before slipping the bag back into his knapsack.

     "Tag and bag," Beomgyu hummed, pulling a sheet off the board, "Phorkoks bicentennial anniversary party-"

     "Did you say four ?"

     "No, you dirty-minded bastard," Beomgyu complained, "This dude worked here for 200 years?"

     "So it was either a really good place or they were forced labor."

     "Nah, these notices are far too nice to be forced," He looked around the room, "no chains or whips either."

     Jimin snickered, "Anyway, what else is on that board?"

     "Bake sale, company outing to some valley area, list of employees," He pulled that one from the board and read it over, "This is a short list."

     "Maybe it's management."

     "Ooh, a recipe for tarts, some weird fruit needed."

     "So they are just like us?" Jimin found that comical.

     "Weird fruit aside, yeah."

      Jungkook walked back through the door, carrying several items.

      "We found the manufacturing area," He held up a small metallic cube, "Looks like metal, but it's squishy like putty."

     Jimin took it and squished it between his fingers, "Oh."

     "This thingamajig is a springy boy."

     Jimin held up a specimen bag and Jungkook popped it inside.

     "Our finale is a round sphere of a glass-like substance," Jungkook held it up, "because it's really ing too heavy to be a piece of glass."

    Jungkook plopped the ball inside and Jimin nearly dropped the bag, not expecting the weight.

     "What the hell?" Jimin glared at the object.

     "There is a whole assembly line of this ."

     "Mooskaks and Fishdex are the employees of the month," Beomgyu read off, studying the picture of two dragonlike entities with their arms around each other in some friendly bro relationship pose.

     "Okay, now I think you're just ing with me, Moose and fish ?"

      "I swear to god, your mind."

      "Come on," Jimin whined and Jungkook laughed.

     The racket coming through the door made all of them turn to watch as Seokjin pushed forward a young female dragon-human, his gun aimed at her head and her protesting, cursing at him in draconic.

      "What the holy hell?"

      "Duna kwa kal ut och main pelli neo omul vajole," she spewed (Get that gun out of my face you filthy )

     "What did she say?" Jimin peered over at Beomgyu.

      "Filthy ," Beomgyu furrowed his brows in thought, "remove gun?"

     Seokjin cocked the gun which made her rage.

     "Na umi de gobi diya," (I am the president's daughter.)

     "Wae nan jil namu?" Beomgyu asked. (What is your name?)

      popped open and she calmed down for a moment to answer, "Ryujin, dina de envi posla neo na radda ami?" (Ryujin, did the government send you to rescue me?)

     Beomgyu shook his head, "Jok, wo no det anoth raa. Faf pia wan vona hay?" (No, we're from another dimension. There was a war here?")

     "Vona?" she shook her head, not understanding the word.

     "Umm, battle... Tav?"

     She nodded, "Muska teku heki, jel hellig seto dio int stroji peim ute cek." (machines took over, our sacred golems could not keep them in check.)

     "We need to bring her back, she thought we were the government here to rescue her."

     "How long has she been here?" Jimin asked.

     "Hur noz vara neo inno hay, aye?" (How long have you been here, alone?)

     "Yek yase." (one year.)

     "A year," Beomgyu was surprised, "We might be the first people she's seen since this all went down."

 

     Hoseok made up the attic bedroom for her and closed the door after she drifted off to sleep, with an explanation on how they were here to help her and she would be safe with them, from Beomgyu.

     Namjoon pulled Beomgyu aside as they rejoined everyone in the lab.

     "Draconic?"

     "Most of the language translates easy enough, there are some words we aren't exactly perfect on, but the gist of it is the same," Beomgyu explained.

     "She doesn't look very dragonlike?"

     "I don't think she's full dragonkin, she has some human DNA mixed in there somewhere," Hoseok speculated.

     "If she consents, we can do tests," Namjoon recommended, "determine first and foremost if she is healthy and or a bio-threat."

     "She has been there alone for a year and she said she was the president's daughter?"

     "President of the company?"

     "Or land?"

     "I don't know, but she's feisty," Beomgyu was delighted, "She was cursing out Seokjin when he brought her into the room."

 

     The moon illuminated the valley like a spotlight, the large, orange sphere was like something out of a sci-fi movie. Jungkook stared up at it, orange and big, it will be hot tomorrow, he speculated. He peered over at Seokjin who was mesmerized, either by the spectacle or by something swimming around in his brain.

     "Hell of a day," Jungkook moved closer.

     "You ready to go back tomorrow?"

     "Sure," Jungkook took Seokjin's hand in his own, "Can I ask you something?"

     "Yeah?"

     "Would you want to help me plan a wedding?"

     "Whose getting married?"

       Jungkook raised one eyebrow at him, "Really?"

     "Did I miss a memo?"

     "Seokjin, you dingus," Jungkook smiled, "Do I need to do this formally?"

     "If you're talking about us, then this is the furthest from slow that you can get-"

     Jungkook dropped to one knee, Seokjin's hand still in his own, "Seokjin Kim, will you marry me?... again?"

     "Jungkook?" Seokjin squeaked, "Are you serious?"

     "Yes, one hundred and fifty percent."

      "But... why?"

     "I'm not going to take offense to that," Jungkook stood, "I don't have a ring yet, but we can pick them out together."

     "I mean... why now?"

     "What's the point of waiting?"

     "Are you sure?"

     "Yes," Jungkook kissed him, "I love you, and I know you love me too. I don't see a reason to torture myself in going slow."

     "But we need to work on stuff?"

     "We will, but I want to do it as your husband-"

     "I'm never leaving you, you know that right?"

     "Then there is no reason we shouldn't just do it," Jungkook knew in his heart that this was the right decision, "Just say yes-"

     "Yessss, a thousand times yes, I will marry you."

     Jungkook pulled him into a hug.

     

     Late night in the lab meant that Taehyung and Hoseok had forgotten about time once again and were working on things for tomorrow's second visit to 34B.

     "Learn anything interesting?" Hoseok asked, spinning his stool around to face Taehyung.

     "Two of these insects are found here, and the third one is well, gross as hell," Taehyung held up a bug that had the body of a wasp, but was wingless and had the face of a beetle, "It's like they were doing cross-species Frankensteining."

     "So insect chimeras?"

     "Except the body patterns and colors are more vibrant," Taehyung set it back down, "and their spiders, fly."

     "Oh hell no."

     "Yeah, I am way too tired for this ."

     Hoseok sighed, "We should head to bed, tomorrow is another day."

     "No, tomorrow is another nightmare," Jimin walked in and plopped himself and his laptop down at the desk.

     "Can't sleep?"

     Jimin shook his head, "Beomgyu conked out three hours ago, so I've been using a draconic translator and well you know how that goes."

     "Our guest has consented to blood tests, so we can learn a little bit more about the life forms on 34B."

     "From what I can tell, the head of the company was her father, Vedix Shin, a human who was genetically altered with dragonkin DNA."

     "Sounds like paradise for Akiyama."

     "Also the amount of and names in their Dragonkin history is absurd," Jimin's face contorted into displeasure.

     Taehyung grabbed his half-mixed potion and a jar of crusty-looking flowers, "pinch of chickweed tongue and a dandelion toe."

     "A what now?"

     "Code names, don't worry about it," Taehyung dropped in a dandelion leaf and then grabbed a pinch of the chickweed petals and added it, swirling the potion bottle to combine the ingredients.

     "What's that for?" Jimin watched as Taehyung drank it down.

     "Zombie indigestion is no joke," Taehyung wiped his mouth and set the bottle down, "I can't remove the taste of cow brains from my mouth either."

     "Okay, just keep that to yourself," Jimin turned back to his laptop, "remind me never to ask things."

     Taehyung snorted, "Sorry."

      Hoseok yawned, "Welp, I'm calling it a night."

     "Me too," Taehyung stood, fist-bumping his brother, "You going back through tomorrow too?"

     Jimin nodded, "Yup."

      "Then try and get some sleep," Taehyung recommended, "You'll need your wits just in case you guys find Joy-"

     "Or her army," Hoseok butted in.

     "Especially her army," Taehyung corrected.

     "Yeah, go so I can decipher this in peace."

     Jimin watched as the two left and turned to his laptop, he began his copy/paste ritual into the translator and entered the English version into a document. Boring, but someone had to do it.

     Two hours had passed by and he kept nodding off. He completed a few pages of a document and decided it was time to call it a night. Yoongi hobbled in and Jimin thought he was dreaming.

     "Yoongi?"

      "I need a blood bag-"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter