The Revival

Quietus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

   

To be stagnant is to cease to exist, sometimes motivation requires imagination - Brahms

 

     The wetness came in all forms today, from a misting drizzle to a full-out storm complete with thunder and lightning. Currently though, it was a light rain; droplets tapped at the window in Namjoon's study in a rhythmic pattern, helping him to concentrate. He was finishing up some miscellaneous paperwork while waiting for a phone call from Raven. She was supposed to be updating him on the happenings at the facility and what was going on with Cato's reawakening. Leader duties meant Namjoon was a recluse for the majority of the day and everyone knew to only disturb him in the case of an emergency.

     

     Taehyung was ecstatic, rain meant his plants would be happy and wouldn't need to be tended to and that he could instead dive into the book that Brahms bestowed upon him without any distractions. He had bought a case for it yesterday morning, to display it on their library wall because he would never forgive himself if he just stuffed it away onto the shelf like one of the common books. He had stared at it for a good ten minutes, still thinking it was a dream.

      Jimin stopped behind him, smiling, "It's not going to come to life."

     Taehyung jumped, sputtering out a random tidbit, "Did you know Brahms's grandfather was a 15th-century bard?"

     "No I did not and what does that have to do with anything?"

     "I just thought it was cool," Taehyung opened the case and took out the book, walking over to the table and setting it down. He swore he heard a grand ditty play in his head as he backed up to admire its immaculate cover illustration. ♪ Bum dadada ♫

     "That book is probably a national treasure," Jimin was shocked that Brahms had just gifted it so easily, "Abram must have had a lot of good things to say about you."

     "Why would he have anything bad to say? I am an angel," Taehyung opened to the first page, "which by the way he might be coming for the next council meeting."

     Jimin set his knapsack down and took a seat, pulling out his laptop, "Heard we are having a few guests coming, Sunghoon is really good at recruiting."

     "Hey," Seokjin entered the library carrying a rather large box, he set it on the table, "This was just delivered."

     "Oh," Jimin stood, excited, "My CHIMS!"

     He tore open the box, spewing bits of cardboard everywhere.

     Taehyung backed up from the flying bits, "You know a claw into the tape woulda been so much neater."

      "Sorry," Jimin pulled out a metal briefcase and set it down on the tabletop.

     "How many did you get?" Seokjin leaned over as Jimin popped the case open.

     "Ten," Jimin's face lit up, plucking one from the foam it was held in place by, "These are even better than the last version."

     "Not organic?" Seokjin nabbed it from him, studying it.

     "Nope, they decided that was too much risk, animals sometimes have a mind of their own," Jimin slid into the chair in front of his laptop on the table.

     "Maybe not so devastating if one gets eaten now," Seokjin kneeled, setting the CHIM down and staring at it eye to eye.

     Jimin pressed his thumbprint to the top and the CHIM powered up, making a small beep sound, "I downloaded the update this morning, so this should work." He typed in some keystrokes and Chimmy bounded forward, Seokjin caught it just as it was about to plummet off the table's edge.

     "Oops, hit run by accident," Jimin blew a puff of air out of his mouth.

     "You know in the movies how the robots always take over civilization and kill all the humans, but then there is the band of heroes who violently save the world," Beomgyu stared down from the balcony railing, "this is the start of that."

     "Nah, this is the mad scientist who thinks he has all the answers, but his experiments eat him trope," Jimin smirked.

     Beomgyu hopped the railing and landed on the carpet, joining them.

     "How are things going with Soobin?" Taehyung took a pronounced whiff of the book, basking in its aroma.

     "That dude must have been suppressing some serious psychopathic tendencies."

     "Huh?" Jimin and Taehyung asked, alarmed.

     "I have never seen anyone so blood hungry in my life, he's literally obsessed with making humans into cattle."

     "Is this normal in the beginning?"

     "I mean somewhat, but not this bloodlust that Soobin is channeling. It's more like minor control issues neophytes struggle with," Beomgyu enlightened, "You know like knowing how much to consume so that you don't kill them."

     "They say the bite amplifies your personality," Taehyung remembered reading that in a book about Vampirism when he was a kid.

     "This Soobin is just murder, kill, death on steroids."

     "This Soobin is about to be murdered," Yoongi walked in, "Beomgyu, I need your help-"

     "No, take someone else, I am not getting scratched up again-"

     "Wounds heal, stop being a -"

      " you and your high horse," Beomgyu stood there, crossing his arms, unyielding, "Take Seokjin."

     "Fine, I'll just do it myself," Yoongi tromped out of the room, muttering about disowning a brother.

     "What is going on?" Jimin questioned.

     "He has energy bursts after feeding, becomes mother ing super-pire, and tries to escape."

     "What the hell?" Taehyung uttered, "Can't you just tranquilize him?"

     "Did I mention he climbs the wall and does a lot of claw action?" Beomgyu held up his forearm, scratched to .

     "I'll go," Seokjin declared, he knew Yoongi didn't want to see him, but he couldn't let Yoongi get hurt either.

 

     Seokjin reached for the doorknob, disturbed by the amount of high-pitched screeching coming from the other side. He opened the door and slipped in as Yoongi landed right at his feet, staring up at the shocked hybrid with a fresh slash across his cheek.

     "Get out of here," Yoongi kipped up, now adding fury to his arsenal of annoyance and woe.

     Soobin bore down, hissing out.

     "Ooh scary," Seokjin didn't seem impressed.

     "Seokjin," Soobin's voice dropped to a pitch that would make Satan jealous.

     "If you're going for demonic," Seokjin stepped forward, "I'd say go deeper with the voice, it's lacking."

     "I wonder what you taste like," Soobin moved to his left and they began to circle each other.

     "Bitter," Seokjin's eyes turned their characteristic shade of black.

     "I can ing handle this," Yoongi in, making Soobin chuckle.

     "I see that," Seokjin remarked.

     "He's just one vampire-"

      "Then why is he kicking your ?"

     Soobin was tired of the banter, he whipped around, slashing at Seokjin with blood-stained claws. Seokjin dodged, cracking Soobin in the jaw with an elbow. 

     "This would go so much better if you'd just let me do my thing," Soobin popped his jaw back into place.

     "It's not my fault you're so bad at it," Seokjin mocked.

     Soobin hissed, leaping forward, but Seokjin seized his arm and twisted it up, pushing him down to the ground with a knee on his back.

     "Give up, or this won't end well," Seokjin's teeth scraped his lip.

      "You think one little knee to the back means you've won?" Soobin pushed up from the ground, flying into the air with Seokjin on his back, he slammed him against the ceiling, collapsing a beam under the immense pressure.

     "Soobin," Yoongi roared, stepping aside from the splintering wood raining down.

     Soobin flew across the room, watching Seokjin fall to the floor with a thud, then turned to Yoongi.

     "What?" Soobin gave a wretched smile, "You want some more too?"

     "Bring it," Yoongi brandished claws and they collided, Soobin twirling Yoongi around and pinning him to the ground, fangs close to his neck about to bite.

     Seokjin stood and snapped his neck, rendering him unconscious. Soobin slumped over and Yoongi pushed the sleeping vampire off of him and stood.

     "I didn't need your help," Yoongi spat, wiping the blood from his cheek as the wound healed.

      "You had it under total control, I know." Seokjin brushed the dust from his clothing.

     Yoongi scoffed, reaching down to grab Soobin and lay him in his bed.

     "You want me to just let him kill you next time?"

     Yoongi jerked around, seconds later pinning Seokjin to the wall, "Stop putting your nose in where it's not needed."

    Seokjin pushed him off, "You don't have to like me anymore, but you didn't come into the library asking Beomgyu for a recipe."

     "I asked Beomgyu for help, not you-"

     "You'll appreciate my gesture when you come out of this little mood you're in-"

     "It's not a mood, Seokjin," Yoongi shouted, "I know you don't respect my feelings, but this is not just a passing moment-"

     "What the hell are you on, how don't I respect you?"

     "I'm just a rebound cry."

     "What the does that even mean?"

     "I'm here so you don't have to face yourself, let's be honest," Yoongi expounded, "You would drop me in a heartbeat if it meant Jungkook would take you back tomorrow-"

     "I guess my track record has been so transparent up 'til now," Seokjin's snarky tone grated Yoongi's last nerve.

     "You evaded it for a while, sure, but it doesn't deny the fact that Jungkook would always be the victor," Yoongi disputed, "We both know our friendship is only perfect when he is not in the picture."

     "I didn't want everything to go to -"

     "Just think of it as me saving you the painful choice," Yoongi's shoulders sunk, disheartened, "Soobin and I are going to the ranch, they have better accommodations for this."

     "That's probably wise."

     "Beomgyu is taking my cabin-"

     "You say that like you're leaving the pack."

     "I am."

     "What are you talking about?"

     "I obviously can't stay here-"

     "You're going to leave the pack just because you're mad at me?"

     "It's not just being mad," Yoongi reiterated, "I don't want to be around you, I thought I made that clear."

     "You really want to end our friendship?"

     "Gonna be terrible not having that crutch, huh?"

     "I'm not friends with you to pass the time between bouts with Jungkook-"

     "Are you sure about that?"

     "You're my best friend, Yoongi, I love you," Seokjin challenged, "I am sorry it's not the kind of love you want, in another lifetime maybe, but-"

     "It's a matter of time before you and Jungkook are back on and then what becomes of me?" Yoongi raised a questioning eyebrow, "because you know he isn't going to share you-"

     "Yoongi-" Seokjin's face fell.

     "It's the price you paid for letting Cato in, it , but it is what it is."

    "I don't have the answers," Seokjin shook his head feverishly, "but this can't be it-"

     "Nothing lasts forever, even when you're immortal," Yoongi pushed past him and left the room.

     Seokjin chased after him, pulling at his shoulder to stop him, "Yoongi, don't leave like this-"

     "Just let me go," Yoongi pleaded, "Don't make this harder than it needs to be."

     "You think saying goodbye to you is easy, you think this doesn't tear me apart?" Seokjin was overcome, his voice shaky, "You're the reason I haven't gone insane-"

     "A crutch."

     "You're not a crutch, you mean way more to me than that-"

     "Just let Jungkook be everything I am, it won't take long before you forget me."

     "That's bull-"

     "Goodbye Seokjin," Yoongi held out his hand, how trite a gesture to end their relationship, forever.

     Seokjin slapped it away, pushing him back, "Don't do this."

     Yoongi huffed, a cheeky little smile besmirched him, "I just really hope he doesn't completely destroy you this time."

     "Yoongi, please-"

     Yoongi shook his head and bolted down the stairs, slamming the door.

     "Yoongi!" Seokjin screamed after him, "YOONGI!"

 

     Seokjin watched from the upstairs window as Yoongi loaded up a moving van with his belongings; with each box, each item of furniture that passed the truck's threshold, his dread only grew. The tension in his shoulders made his head start to ache... then his heart began to ache. The sadness soon swallowed the anger, the realization that Yoongi was serious, he was leaving, no longer wanting Seokjin in his life. There was an emptiness within him as he watched his best friend throw his car keys to Beomgyu, taking one last look around the estate.

     Their eyes locked, it seemed like an eternity when Seokjin finally tore himself away, shutting his eyes to block out the pain of watching his best friend climb into that truck and pull away. He didn't open them again until Yoongi was pulling out onto the road, Beomgyu following behind. His eyes misted over as he slumped against the wall. He would be back to fetch Soobin in a few hours and then that was it... today would be the last time he would ever have a voluntary conversation with his best friend, from this point forward there would only be the council meetings. There would be no more hanging out, no more getting drunk, no one to vent to, no wingman, no more of Yoongi's sarcasm, no more impromptu missions... No more of anything. To say there was a void inside him now, was an understatement.

     Seokjin set his laptop down on the table in the library, opening up his journal app. He stared at the blinking cursor on the blank white page for a good hour, the sun set in the sky behind him, as the bright rays dwindled into dull moonlight. The room faded into a haunting darkness, it was like the gloom had come to life and snuffed out the illuminance.

     Jungkook stepped to the balcony railing, gazing down at the elder. The whole house was now aware of what was going on, why Yoongi vacated... and not just vacated the house, but left the pack altogether, a new face in Sunghoon's ranks now. He couldn't stand seeing Seokjin sitting there alone, but he couldn't be the one to comfort him, not with this. Seokjin would have to work through losing his best friend alone, Jungkook knew how easy it would be to just let Seokjin lean on him, but then what would he learn? He had to remind himself that losing a best friend was hard, even if it was Yoongi. He also had to smile because Yoongi was out of the picture.

     Seokjin felt lost, he couldn't journal his feelings when there were so many thoughts vexing him. He pushed the laptop away and shuffled over to the window, peering up at the moon. I need to get my together, I can't keep going on this way. 

     "!" He yelled out putting his hand through the glass, then drew it back down, a fresh bit of crimson dripped onto the rug. Jungkook gasped, then backed up because he didn't want Seokjin to look up and see him.

     Seokjin flounced over to his laptop and sat down, typing into the journaling program. Do not feel anything anymore, close it off until you can get your stupid, pathetic life together. He hit save and then pushed the laptop away, leaving a smear of blood across the table, and on the keys. He stood and tromped up the spiral staircase, down the hall, and into the kitchen. He ripped the roll of paper towels from its holder, tore off a long sheet, and wrapped it around his wrist as he snatched some water from the fridge, slamming the fridge door. He barged out the back door and off into the night.

 

     Hoseok stepped over the trail of blood that led down the hall from the library, turning to Jimin who stopped to inspect it.

     "Did someone get murdered?" Hoseok went to grab the mop as Jimin bent down, dipping his finger in the blood and smelling it.

     "I think someone is hurt," Jimin noticed the blood ended on the counter just by the paper towels and that there was a bloody handprint where someone had nabbed the whole roll.

     "Soobin did leave, right?"

     "It's Seokjin," Jungkook stopped in the doorway.

     "Is he okay?"

     "Not at all," Jungkook leaned against the jamb, "Physically I think he'll mend just fine, but I think he turned off his humanity again."

     "Gods be damned, he is going off the rails once more," Hoseok began to fill the mop bucket in the sink, squirting in some cleaner.

     "I think he just needs to cool off, I'm sure this whole Yoongi leaving thing is a ," Jimin pursed his lips, "Sorry no offense."

     "I get it," Jungkook smirked, "Although not even a little sad about it."

     "But he's a danger when he gets like this nonetheless and someone should stay with him, and I think the only one he tolerates is you-"

     "No Jimin, I can't help him through this," Jungkook objected, "If I help him, I become his distraction."

      "I'm not saying date him."

     "Obviously-"

     "Maybe just ask him to work out with you, keep his mind and energy on hitting the bag," Jimin suggested, "even if we can quell just one bad outburst, the world will be thankful."

     "I'll keep it in mind."

     Beomgyu staggered in, his hand covering the left side of his face, he went straight to the freezer to grab a bag of peas, holding it to his eye, "Oh god that feels good."

     "What happened to you?" Hoseok's brows crinkled with concern.

     Beomgyu leaned against the counter, grimacing, "All I said was how glorious that I finally get my own pad and then he punched me-"

     "Who punched you?"

     "Seokjin." 

     Jimin and Hoseok glared at Jungkook, wide-eyed.

     Jungkook rolled his eyes, "Okay fine, maybe he needs a distraction." 

     "Not saying you need to hold him and tell him things will be okay, but maybe just get him to punch a bag instead of people?"

     "Where is he?" Jungkook asked.

     "Running."

 

      Seokjin was jogging the backside of the property when Jungkook joined him. Seokjin glanced over and Jungkook shot him a cheerful smile before jogging off ahead. Seokjin caught up and they ran together in silence for a good ten minutes before Seokjin stopped to catch his breath, running when angry was a bit more challenging.

     Jungkook continued to jog in place to let Seokjin recuperate.

     "Everything okay?" Seokjin asked, checking his wrist to see if the bleeding had stopped.

     "I need a sparring partner, figured I'd ask."

     "Taehyung not home?"

     "He hates sparring," Jungkook glanced down at Seokjin's wrist, "Or maybe just work out?"

     "You don't have to comfort me, I'll be okay."

     "I'm sure you will, but a detour of energy might feel better-"

     "I know it can't be easy for you to be out here."

     "I mean, my feelings for he who shall not be named, aside, I know what it would feel like to lose a best friend."

     Seokjin clenched his jaw turning to the railing that overlooked the valley.

     "Working out is good for the soul," Jungkook leaned next to him, "and safer than putting your hand through a window."

     Seokjin huffed, looking down at it, "I would love to, but I don't want to use you like that. I had one crutch, I won't make you one too."

     "It's just working out, not a therapy session."

     Seokjin gazed up at the moon, inhaling the atmosphere. Finding an outlet to exorcise his pent-up demons would be better than listening to half the whispers clouding his mind of how to fill the void with destruction and mayhem. Plus Jungkook's company would make the time ease by so much nicer. Do not use him, Seokjin. This is for your mental health, not your love life... or lack thereof.

     "I guess in the morning if you aren't busy-"

     "You have plans now?"

     "Gonna take a shower and crash," Seokjin glanced at the younger, "I'm kind of exhausted."

     "Okay, eight AM then?"

     "Sure."

     "I'll have the protein shakes ready," Jungkook smirked.

     A half smile adorned the elder's mouth, a look of gratitude washing over him, "Thanks."

     "It's just a shake."

      "No, it's not just a shake, I appreciate what you're doing."

     Jungkook shrugged, walking off, "Don't be late or I'll make you do laps."

     Seokjin tittered, watching as Jungkook headed to his cabin. .

 

     Seokjin couldn't sleep, he tossed and turned in his bed for hours, either uncovering numerous times because his body was hot or swaddling himself in his blanket like a comforting hug. Somewhere near the four-hour mark, he had enough of staring at the ceiling with the relentless dismal thoughts provoking him, so he made his way down to the library. The blood he had left on the table was still there, albeit a dried brown mess now. Ugh, you really are a menace.

      He traipsed down the hall to the supply closet to grab the cleaner, halting when he shuffled back past Namjoon's office, hearing voices.

     "Yeonjun was spotted downtown running freight into a building on 1st avenue."

     "Alone?" Jimin questioned, surprise in his voice.

     "Well, he had an entourage of about six or seven men, but from what I gather, not with Zane or Joy."

     "Do you have the address? I can do some research on it-"

     "Oh, it's already on the list of properties that they have people doing tasks at."

     "Wait," Jimin typed in some words and pulled up a file, "1st Avenue is an old distillery?"

     "Shut down because a very rare species of mold caused people to start getting sick," Namjoon informed, "and not the human kind."

     "They never removed the machinery," Jimin pointed to a recent picture, "You don't think they're going to try to get that up and running?"

      Seokjin glanced at his watch, 3 AM.

 

     The dock was alive with workers, moving freight on and off of a small cargo ship. Yeonjun stood at the bay doors, checking off supplies on a list as someone would carry them by. Seokjin hid behind some crates down the way, observing the young banshee hybrid as more and more supplies were offloaded and carried into the building. He moved a few crates closer, studying the architecture of the three-story structure. He spotted a window open on the second floor and traced the location of the window down the side of the building, seeing a set of crates that were stacked high enough for him to grab the fire escape ladder and climb. He'd have to be hyper-stealthy to accomplish the feat, but luckily the grabbing of the ladder coincided with the horn of the ship blaring out as it departed.

     He executed the plan flawlessly, climbing through the window less than five minutes later. Barrels of alcohol? were stacked in rows along the floor and piled five high against the walls where he stood to case out the joint. It smells, Seokjin took a sniff of the air, like mold. Very aromatic, ripe mold.

     Ascending Footsteps alerted him as a guard appeared at the top of the stairs, shining his flashlight around. Seokjin ducked down and waited for the guard to get closer, then jumped up and snapped his neck. He thunked to the floor and Seokjin bent down to him, Werewolf. He inserted his claws and began to drain the creature of its life.

      "One down, one screamy hybrid to go."

     He could hear the hustle and bustle of workers below, moving boxes and prying open crates. There were at least six of them from what he could discern by the sounds of their chatter and footfall. From what he could smell, they were also werewolves. Seokjin decided that he would try to get a few of them to come up to him, so he unfastened a barrel from the pile and pushed it down the stairs where it thumped down each step, stopping everyone in their tracks.

     "Who didn't secure the barrels?" A gruff voice called out before nabbing it and tromping up the stairs.

     "Gustav, you lunkhead," an older man answered and the sound of a head slap made Seokjin chuckle to himself.

      The man set the barrel down and began to secure it when he saw the shoes step in front of him, he gazed up, mouth agape, "Seokjin?"

     Those were his last words as Seokjin bared down on him and then moments later, drained him, "I think someone owes Gustav an apology."

     How to be creative with luring people to their deaths? Seokjin snatched the man's coat and hat and slipped them on, heading to the 1st floor to blend in. No one paid him any mind as they went about their business. He managed to sneak up behind a worker hidden nicely by a set of crates. He inserted his claws into the man's lower back, covering his mouth. He noticed as he dropped the man's limp body from his grasp, the nametag 'Gustav' shining up at him. Guess you are a lunkhead.

      He counted the heads of the remaining workers as they walked past his hiding spot, there were four of them left. No sign of Yeonjun, but there was a closed office door in the back part of the building and he figured he must be there.

     "Pssst," Seokjin revealed himself as one of the workers sailed by, tripping him and backing up as the crate he was carrying broke and spilled out its contents all over the nice, clean floor. Vials? Seokjin reached down to grab one, pocketing it.

      "Umph," The man turned over just to witness a set of sharp fangs ending it all.

      "You're making this too easy," Seokjin stuffed the dead body against the wall and snuck around the crate to try to pick off another werewolf.

     Two of them came scurrying back to check where the racket had come from.

     "Mikkel?" the bigger man bellowed, checking Mikkel for a pulse. Nothing. He pulled at his shoulder and backed up in shock, "sound the alarm-"

     The other man nodded furiously, heading off towards the office where he was met with claws and darkness. Seokjin trekked back around the crate and locked eyes with the big guy that was now frozen in place, frightened as Seokjin loomed there, smiling.

     "Seokjin, what are you-" 

      Before the man could finish, Seokjin's claw swipe erased any hopes of him making it out alive, "Just having a look around, you have no objections, right?"

     Dead men could not object. Seokjin gave a titter. Yoongi would be in his element here, complaining that these peons were too easy and this was just a waste of time, but somehow managing to entertain himself with the irony of it all. Yoongi.

      Seokjin followed the sound of footsteps to the location of the last man, No... not a man.

     "Safiya," Yeonjun's voice sounded.

      Seokjin spied the office door wide open and Yeonjun leaning against the jamb, picking at his nails.

     "Sir?" Safiya walked over to him.

     "Do you smell that?"

      "Smell, sir?"

     Yeonjun's audible intake of air through his nostrils was to make a point, "Now what would an onyx hybrid be doing here at this hour?"

     "I don't smell anything-"

     "and this is why you are useless," Yeonjun drew back his hand and slashed , kicking her back as she fell to the floor, gasping for breath, "You can come out now, Seokjin. Threat eliminated."

     Seokjin stepped out into the open, "Welp, saved me the trouble, thanks I guess."

     "One scream and I pierce your eardrums-"

     "Yeah, not a problem," Seokjin turned his head so Yeonjun could see the bright blue earplugs, "Banshee tested."

     "I guess old fashioned then?"

     "We both know who will win that fight?"

     "I don't know, I'm less diluted than you, being Cato's son and all."

     "I am stronger than all the hybrids he created in that lab, though maybe Grendel could put up a decent fight."

     Yeonjun stifled a laugh, a conceited little smile took over, "Oh are you in for a treat with Zane and Joy then."

     "You think they'll be pissed if I off you and deliver your mangled carcass to their doorstep in a parcel box?"

     Yeonjun's eyes flashed a menacing green as his mechanical hand morphed into a dagger and he came out swiping, Seokjin ducked and swept him, knocking him on his . Yeonjun rolled over to a stand, facing him down.

     "Nice hardware," Seokjin tackled him to the ground, laying down some face punches and bloodying up Yeonjun's nose before being stabbed in the side with Yeonjuns sharp blade. Seokjin yowled out in pain, rolling off of him and backing up. He toppled against a crate, reaching down to pull out the blade, throwing it to the floor with a clang.

     "Isn't it though?" Yeonjun held up his hand as a new blade replaced the old one.

     Seokjin looked at the blood now staining his palm as he pulled it away from the stab wound, "Okay, so it hurt a little, I can admit that."

    Yeonjun ran his tongue across the fangs that peeked out of his mouth, "Come get some more."

     Seokjin winced as he straightened up, fists out in front of him, "Jesus, are they made of silver?"

     "Yeah, will take a few hours for the hole to close up, but hey you're a badass," Yeonjun conferred, "Hopefully it's not blood loss that brings you to your knees?"

     "Note to self, do not get stabbed again," Seokjin blew some air out of his mouth, clearing his throat. Silver stung... and the blood that was flowing out was not going to be a help either.

     "See you may be fast and tough, but none of us are tougher than silver," Yeonjun spat, "Which makes you so dumb for coming here."

     "I've already lost everything, what's a life?" Seokjin elbowed him in the mouth and dashed back, really inconvenienced by his throbbing wound.

     "Awww, is someone having a mental breakdown?"

      "Yeah, don't have to be a bag about it."

     "I like being bad," Yeonjun's grin was unhinged.

     "Then I look forward to wiping that smile from your face."

     "Not all wishes come true," Yeonjun wiped the drool from his lip.

      Seokjin was producing two of Yeonjun and he wasn't sure which one he should hit. Hit both, stupid. He swung at Yeonjun, but Yeonjun ducked and backed up, dodging two more attempts before huffing out with amused disbelief.

     "This is kind of sad, Seokjin, I thought you were better than this."

     "What was on that blade?" Seokjin struggled to breathe, trying to shake off the overwhelming nausea that was forming in his stomach.

     "Wolfsbane," Yeonjun laughed, "Though I heard a rumor that you were immune."

     "Mmm," Seokjin exhaled, "This isn't wolfsbane."

     "Alpine variety, potent ."

      Seokjin swung at him again, missing. You're gonna have to wolf out, Seokjin, if you hope to take him down.

     Yeonjun glanced at his watch, "Well, this has been fun, but I'm going to have to cut our play time short, do you want me to just let you bleed out or should I end the suffering?"

     " you."

      A whispering began to ade the air and Yeonjun and Seokjin stopped.

     "Did you bring backup?" Yeonjun's head twitched and he turned around in a circle trying to locate the sounds that kept pinging off the walls.

      "Sure," Seokjin wondered if maybe someone followed him, but no one was around when he left the estate.

      "Aghh," Yeonjun covered his ears, the whispering grew louder.

      Seokjin was trying his best to drown out the noise that filled his head, but it was engulfing them.

     "Children, heed my call," Cato's voice began to fill the room, chanting.

      "Cato," They both said in unison and then stared at each other.

      Yeonjun expelled the dagger from his mechanism and it toward Seokjin, the hybrid threw himself back, the blade narrowly missing his nose, instead splitting the wood crate behind him.

      "I am back my children," Cato's voice resonated, bouncing around in their brains.

     Seokjin pulled the dagger from the crate and brandished it, taking advantage of Yeonjun's attention being on the voice. He heaved it at him, hitting him in the shoulder. Yeonjun jolted back, yanking the dagger from his skin, only to turn back to feel Seokjin wrapping his hands around his head.

     "You're actually more valuable alive," He snapped Yeonjun's neck and let him fall to the floor. He scooped him up and flung him over his shoulder, hightailing it out of the building.

 

     Seokjin let go of Yeonjun's body, plopping him onto the lab table, securing him with the straps that hung from the sides.

     Hoseok rushed in and stopped, his whole body questioning the sight before him, "What the hell?"

     "I need atropine now," Seokjin began to push up his sleeve, his complexion was two shades off of ghost white with contrasting black veins branching out under his skin.

     Hoseok blinked several times, mind trying to remember where the syringes were kept, "Ye-yeah." He scoured the cabinet for the vial and grabbed a syringe, filling it, "How did you manage this one?"

     "I couldn't sleep," Seokjin leaned against the counter, seconds away from passing out, "hurry."

     Hoseok injected him and backed up, "Did you text Namjoon?"

     "No, just you," Seokjin sunk to his knees, "Cato is back-"

     "We know, Raven messaged a half hour ago," Hoseok threw the spent syringe into the sharps container and grabbed Seokjin's arm to pull him up, "It took two days for the essence to wake him."

     "I brought back a barrel of whatever it is they are making in that distillery, and..." he reached into his pocket, pulling out the vial, "This."

     "Does anyone know anything about an explosion on the north docks?" Namjoon stopped short when he saw Yeonjun laying on the lab table, "What in the holy bleep is that?"

     "I managed to save a barrel and a vial if that helps?" Seokjin scrunched up his nose, apologetic as he set the vial down on the counter.

     "Dare I even question what the hell went through your mind?" 

    "I don't even know, myself," Seokjin cracked his neck, "but I really need to lay down."

     "Take the cot in the storage room, I want to make sure the remedy is working."

     Seokjin saluted him, "Eye, eye, captain."

 

     Ten minutes later, Jimin peeked in at Seokjin; sprawled out, fast asleep.

     "I think the only reason he is alive right now is his adrenalin and the fact he learned to hold off the poison," Hoseok figured, "Check out his left eye."

    Taehyung lifted his eyelid to examine the now gray iris that peered back at him, "What the hell?"

     "That might be permanent, by the way."

     "It was beyond reckless, but with Yeonjun as our prisoner, we have a bargaining chip," Namjoon set his phone down, "I alerted the other packs of our situation."

      "I am sure Zane knows about Cato's return by now?"

     "Raven said he announced his return by psychic broadcast," Namjoon's stress level suggested he needed to sink into a hot bubble bath and drown himself in relaxing music until the knots eased. "There is an emergency council meeting at 10, I recommend we all get some sleep."

 

     AUGUST 1 

      

     Seokjin was out for two days, Jungkook had barely left the lab, permanent worry lines were carved into his forehead at this point. He made no excuses for his behavior and Hoseok just let him loiter for as long as he needed to. Taehyung had confirmed Hobi's suspicions about the bond not being broken and was a little peeved Jungkook had allowed Seokjin to stew in his sadness for so long. Oh, sure, he understood Jungkook's POV on the whole thing, but he thought it cruel to allow Seokjin to believe all hope was gone.

      "So this alpine wolfsbane is really bad then?" Jungkook had already asked that twice in the last two days, but Hoseok gave him a pass, the young hybrid was on edge.

     "Honestly, Seokjin is a medical enigma, with what I've learned from Fauna, the minute this stuff hits your veins, you should be dead."

     "So what's with the eye?" Jungkook lifted Seokjin's eyelid, his iris was still a pale gray, "I mean badass, but why?"

     "I'm not sure about that, I'm not even convinced he isn't blind in that eye now."

     "I can see," Seokjin blinked at the intrusion of light as he turned his head to the side, holding his hand over his eyes, "but everything seems extra bright today."

     Hoseok flipped the switch and the light went off.

     "Welcome back," Jungkook helped him to sit up.

     "Close the door for a sec," Seokjin told Hoseok and he did so.

     "What's up?"

     "I can see you just as clear as if we were sitting in a lit room."

     Hoseok flipped the switch and Seokjin flinched.

    "Go find a pair of sunglasses, will ya?" Hoseok told Jungkook and he nodded, hurrying from the room.

     "Is this what night vision is like?"

      Hoseok settled on the cot next to Seokjin, "Yeah."

     "The headache is excruciating," Seokjin glared at him through half-closed eyes.

     "Did you drain anyone that night?"

     "Yeah, I drained all of them, except the girl Yeonjun killed."

     "All I can think of is maybe the wolfsbane made something from one of them permanent."

     Jungkook bounded back into the room, "I stole these from Namjoon-"

     Seokjin snorted as he slipped them on, "I mean one of them did feel different, but the others were werewolves."

 

     Hoseok paid a visit to Yeonjun after talking with Seokjin, intent on finding out what species of supernatural was working the docks that night. Yeonjun was kneeling in the corner when Hoseok entered the room. As if expecting an escape attempt, he threw up a forcefield and Yeonjun, defying the speed of light, bounced off of it, landing against the wall in a heap.

     "You must think I'm stupid," Hoseok closed the door, "and before you try your next thing," he tapped the earplugs in his ear, then threw up a barrier to stop Yeonjun from moving more than three inches.

     "Let me go," Yeonjun seethed through pursed lips, trying to break free of the containment, only to give up moments later when he couldn't move more than just his face.

     "I just have one question," Hoseok whispered an incantation and Yeonjun began to stare straight ahead, "It's a truth spell, so don't worry about lying."

    "You bastard," Yeonjun spat, sneering.

     "All the men in your warehouse, what species was the one that wasn't a werewolf?"

     "Did Seokjin drain him?" Yeonjun laughed trying to zip his mouth from saying any more, but he couldn't help but shout, "Can't you tell a zombie when you see one?"

     "A zombie?"

     "Yeah, Zane tried to drain one once and lost a finger, doctor tried to sew it back on, but it still decayed, so now he has a prosthetic."

     Hoseok had to shake off the disgusted face he was making, closing his mouth, "So draining a zombie kills cells?"

     "What limb did Seokjin lose?" Yeonjun smirked.

     "He didn't lose anything," Hoseok was frank, technically he lost his eye color, but is that really a loss since he now can see in the dark?

     "Whatever happened, it's permanent," Yeonjun leaned his head back, staring up at the ceiling.

     "How do you know?"

     "Doctor told him, said to never drain zombies because they are like poison to the body," Yeonjun chuckled, like he had an inside joke swimming around in his head.

     "What is so funny?"

     "Everyone knows Seokjin has a power kink, and Zane knows all the right species to keep around him in case of such incidents," Yeonjun slapped his hand over his mouth, "You ing prick."

     Hoseok glanced at his watch, the spell would last only about another minute, he probably should take advantage of this and ask some serious questions, "What were you using the distillery for?"

     "Brew of the Death, Joy's idea," Yeonjun tried his hardest to clamp his mouth shut, but he was just dying to spew everything, "The place was filled with a black mold that is deadly to vampires and zombies, things that aren't alive in the traditional sense."

     "How many other facilities for biological warfare do you have?"

     "Zane doesn't share that information even with me, he doesn't fully trust anyone, but as far as the ones I know, twelve, counting the two you destroyed."

     "What does Zane plan to do with the orphans?"

     "Raise an expendable army, also puts him in the good graces of the humans so that he's more untouchable."

     "So we were half right about that," Hoseok said to himself, glancing at his watch, one more question? "What's your next plan of attack?"

     "Seducing your mother, you ho," Yeonjun cursed him, now back to his normal self.

     "Ain't nobody could seduce that witch, but thanks for all the info," Hoseok was about to overlook the one truth spell per week rule, seeing as he didn't care if it fried Yeonjun's brain, he was a treasure trove of knowledge and they could use it all at this point, "You're lucky the spell has rules."

     "Fry me, go ahead, you think Zane and Joy are going to welcome me back into the pack after this?" Yeonjun bayed, "You've already killed me."

     "Woh, let's not have an aneurysm," Hoseok stated, "I am sure we can find a use for you here."

    " you."

     "I mean if you'd rather we kill you, I am sure no one would object."

 

     Seokjin was hitting the punching bag when Hoseok found him, Jungkook and Taehyung were off to the side on the elliptical and treadmill respectively.

     "So, it's permanent," Hoseok started, "and you're gonna wanna be not draining any more zombies."

    "Zombie?" Taehyung stopped moving to turn to him, "A zombie did this?"

     "Zane lost a finger to one, so it's usually not a favorable affliction," Hoseok explained, "The fact that it bettered your vision is not normal."

     "I don't know if better is a word I'd use to describe this," Seokjin complained, "everything is ridiculously too bright."

     "Better than blind," Hoseok assured, "Draining the zombie also might have been what saved you from the wolfsbane too."

     "So it's good that I did it?" Seokjin stopped hitting the bag to peer over at him.

     "You're lucky because the zombiism mixing with the wolfbane somehow canceled each other out," Hoseok explained, "annnd gave you night vision."

     "And it looks pretty badass," Jungkook added.

     Seokjin had to smile at that notion, or maybe it was just because Jungkook said it.

     "Do I really have to wear sunglasses for the rest of my life?"

     "There are ultraviolet contacts for vampires, you can ask Yoongi where," Hoseok's voice trailed off, "I mean, I am sure if you visit an eye doctor."

     "Noted, "Seokjin went back to hitting the bag and Hoseok almost shivered at the coldness that filled the air.

     Taehyung turned off his machine and stepped over to Hoseok, "If you have a second, I have something I need to discuss with you in the lab."

     "Yeah, sure," Hoseok responded, heading out of the room with Taehyung following after.

     "I guess I don't have to tell you that this thing you did was reckless," Jungkook stepped off the treadmill, turning it off.

     "Yeah, I know," Seokjin was expecting Jungkook to give him some , but nothing he didn't deserve.

     "I know having pent-up anger isn't good for your brain," Jungkook held the punching bag for him.

     "Not at all."

     "Next time, don't go by yourself," Jungkook warned, "I don't think I'd feel very happy if you died out there alone."

     Seokjin stopped hitting the bag to stare at the younger, mumbling out a disheartened, "sorry."

     "Are you hungry?" Jungkook asked letting go of the bag, "I am craving some bacon."

     "How easy it would be to just go upstairs and pretend everything is good," Seokjin didn't know if he deserved Jungkook's company at the moment, "Do I even deserve such a thing?"

     "No scrutiny allowed at the breakfast table," Jungkook smiled, "Just bring your appetite."

     "Fine," Seokjin tossed his sweat towel over his shoulder, "Who's cooking?"

     "I'll make the bacon, you make the eggs?'' Jungkook held the elder's water bottle out to him.

     "Deal," Seokjin grasped the bottle and took a swig.

 

      Breakfast prep took loads longer than the consuming of the food, but both of them were full enough to pat their bellies and push their plates aside. Seokjin stared down at his plate wondering if he should make small talk. He wanted to spend the day with the younger but also didn't want to push it. Don't use him as a substitute for Yoongi, he needs your full attention.

     "Everything good?"

     "Yeah," Seokjin leaned back, glancing up at his ex, "Just thinking."

     "About?"

     You, us, not pushing this too far too soon. "Random thoughts."

     "Do any of them involve me kissing you?"

     Seokjin had to blink to keep his eyeballs from flinging out of his head, "always but I am not going to take advantage of you."

     Jungkook had to smile.

     "I need to see my therapist, figure out why I do stupid things when I'm angry."

     "Maybe you just need a healthier outlet," Jungkook suggested, "someone to help you calm down."

     'You know anyone willing to fill such a position?" Seokjin leaned forward resting his chin on his palm.

     "I might, what's your type?"

     "Dark brown doe eyes, muscular, about the same height as me," Seokjin glanced downward, "Big... hands."

     "Hmmm, big hands," Jungkook held his hand up, fingers spread, "Like this?"

     Seokjin reached out and clasped hands, bringing their hands to rest on the table, "Perfect, actually."

      "Then I guess I should apply for the position," Jungkook leaned closer, "Did I mention that I'm really good at giving massages?"

     "A man that's on top of such things is a huge bonus."

     "Easy peasy-"

      "If I have to hear an ounce more of this disgusting flirting, I am going to hurl," Beomgyu gagged, grabbing a bowl from the cabinet, "Just say you want to and go."

      Seokjin and Jungkook laughed. Seokjin pulled his hand away and stood, grabbing his plate, "I do need to change the breaks on my car, if you want to help."

     "You know in town they have these dudes called mechanics that work on cars, fixing things," Beomgyu touted, "Sometimes I hear they change breaks and spark plugs too."

     "In the apocalypse when all the mechanics are dead or are too busy saving their lives to fix other's cars, what are you going to do then?"

     "Hitch a ride with someone who has a working car," Beomgyu pushed his tongue against his cheek, thinking he just said the smartest thing in the world.

     "That is a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda, way more valuable than all those marbles in your head," Seokjin stood, "No one touches her but me."

      Seokjin set his plate down in the sink.

     "Wasn't there a study done about men who are in love with their cars," Beomgyu filled the bowl with cereal, "something about small or power hungry-"

     "Power hungry maybe," Jungkook spoke up, "But small ? No."

     "TMI, really," Beomgyu grabbed the milk, "If I didn't know better, I'd say that bond is fully intact... and really gross."

     Beomgyu took his bowl and the jug of milk and left the room.

     Jungkook laughed, "he's so easily shaken."

     Seokjin smiled, "Too easy."

      "Do you want to take a walk with me?" Jungkook stood, taking his plate to the sink.

      "Sure," Seokjin would count a truckload full of sand granules if it meant spending more time with Jungkook.

     

      They ended up down at Vega Lake, hand in hand. A small breeze made the summer heat bearable as they strolled along the lake's edge.

     "This is nice," Jungkook stopped to let the breeze blow his hair back.

     A duck quacked out and Seokjin observed the mallard as he swam by, heading out to the middle to join his flock. This is what he imagined life with Jungkook would be like when they were old and gray. Except they'd be perched on a porch, in their rocking chairs, feeding the ducks cups of peas and birdseed. Laughter would fill the air as their dogs chased after them, barks and quacks aplenty.

      Jungkook squeezed his hand, "so much better than beating the out of things, huh?"

     Seokjin chuckled, "a little." But only because I'm with you.

     They strolled over to the trees, plopping down on the shaded grass to watch the wildlife.

     "I could stay in this spot for the rest of my life and be happy," Jungkook beamed.

     "Can I stay with you?" Seokjin asked, laying his head in the younger's lap.

      "Duh," Jungkook began to play with Seokjin's hair.

     Seokjin closed his eyes, imagining his life with Jungkook, wondering if such a thing were still possible. Could Jungkook love him like before?

     Jungkook clasped hands with the elder, this was one of those moments he wished he could freeze in time.

     "Do you think we'll ever get the bond back?"

      The bond is still there. Jungkook felt a bit guilty, he didn't want to let Seokjin know yet. He didn't know what to say, so he just blurted out the first thing that came to mind, "That's to assume I want it back."

     Seokjin sat up, Oh god, he doesn't want it back? A wave of panic washed over him, "I, I just thought...." He suddenly felt sick to his stomach, "Sorry."

     Seokjin pulled his hand free and staggered over to the water's edge.

     "I didn't mean for that to sound so harsh," Jungkook joined him.

     "It's okay," Seokjin lied, "I know this is all one-sided, but sometimes it just feels... real still."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter