Occam's Razor

Quietus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Simplification is one of the most difficult things to do - Jonathan Ive

 

     "I know I said I wanted to take it slow, but I also don't want to let you out of my sight," Jungkook snuggled up to Seokjin, having slipped into his room five minutes after they said their goodnights, to cuddle with him.

     "You will not hear a complaint from me," Seokjin wrapped his arm around the younger. He didn't expect to ever feel Jungkook in his arms again, being away really solidified that notion, so there was no way in hell he was about to chase him off... not when he was finally... home.

     "You are not allowed to ever leave again," Jungkook clasped hands with his, "I've never felt so miserable in my life."

     "Mmm," Seokjin smiled, kissing the younger atop his head, "It's never gonna happen again."

     Jungkook peered up at Seokjin, "I'm not hurting you, am I?"

     "No," Seokjin was a bit uncomfortable, his neck felt a bit achy, but it wasn't enough for him to make Jungkook move, "It's almost healed fully."

     "I'm going to kill Zane," Jungkook sprung up, his face flushed with anger, "I am going to rip out his throat and make him wish he was never born."

     "Woh, don't worry, I'll hold him down so you can," Seokjin sat up too, he noticed there were a fair amount of bruises and cuts on Jungkook, especially his face, "Jesus, what did Zane do to you?"

     "Huh?" Jungkook peered back at him.

     Seokjin ran his hand over the prominent healing cut on Jungkook's cheek, "I thought he just..." Seokjin paused, wording this was not something he'd ever thought he'd say, "Tongued your ear."

     "It's nothing," Jungkook pulled away, standing to walk over to the window to stare out.

     "They look old," Seokjin joined him at the window, "are you not healing properly?"

     "No, I've been a little depressed," Jungkook glared down at his cabin, thinking about the night he got the beatdown from Yoongi, the night he got all the cuts and bruises... that did not heal as fast as they should have.

     "Those aren't from Zane?"

     "No," Jungkook turned to face him, "It's nothing."

     "It looks like something-"

     "Nope," Jungkook walked back over to the bed and plopped down, "I'm tired, can we just go to sleep?"

     Seokjin nodded, walking back over and climbing in, laying back. Jungkook pulled the blanket up over them and snuggled back into Seokjin's shoulder.

     "Goodnight."

     "Goodnight," Seokjin wrapped his arm around the younger. Jungkook doesn't want to talk about how he got those wounds, hmmm. Seokjin pondered what Jungkook could be hiding, there had to be something, he was too quick to dismiss his questions.

     Jungkook was out within five minutes, the snoring giving it away. Seokjin snorted, did he somehow even miss the snoring?

 

     The morning sun settled on them like a magnifying glass was floating just outside the window, trying to set them on fire. The temperature was excessive for an autumn day, it had to be a record. Seokjin sat up, fanning himself as he nudged the younger.

     "Kookie." 

     Jungkook mumbled.

     "Kookie," Seokjin smiled as he nudged him again.

     "It can't be morning," He covered his head with the pillow, only to remove it moments later when he couldn't breathe, "Why the is it so damn hot?"

     “Because you exist,” Seokjin kidded, but really was he? Jungkook’s physique was perfect. His shirtless body glistening with sweat gave Seokjin thoughts.

     “Ha.”

     "I'm gonna get a shower," Seokjin pulled back the blanket and stood, walking to his closet.

     "Want company?" Jungkook smirked, kicking the covers off.

     "Think that snail going uphill in the molasses got a jetpack," Seokjin smiled.

     "To be fair, we are pre-war and slow might be subjective at the moment."

     "You wet and , how could I say no?"

     "You can't," Jungkook walked over and kissed him, "I'm too cute."

     Seokjin cupped the younger's face staring into his loving eyes, Now here's a sight I thought I'd never see again. It made him misty-eyed, but he wasn't going to burst out crying happy tears, he had a much better idea in mind. "I love you, and I'm going to tell you that every day for the rest of our lives."

     "I might have said slow, but really did I mean it?" Jungkook scrunched up his face, he was a living contradiction, "I love you too."

     They both couldn't hide their giddy little smiles as they leaned in for a kiss.

 

     Seokjin waltzed into the kitchen, freshly showered and shirtless, it was much too hot to wear clothes, but he figured walking around wouldn't be appropriate.

     “Woh, some help-“ Hoseok came busting through the back door balancing several bags of groceries and two gallons of milk in his arms.

    Seokjin rushed over to grab the bags and set them down on the counter as Hoseok took the milk to the fridge.

    “Thanks man, I was dying-“

     “What is all this?” Seokjin held up a box of graham crackers and pulled out a bag of coconut flakes.

     “New dessert recipe,” Hoseok turned to him, “Jesus, what the hell happened to your back?”

    “Huh?” Seokjin remembered Jungkook’s claws in the shower, “Oh, just,” he gave a chuckle, “Jungkook sometimes is…”

     “Yeah, say less,” Hoseok began to unpack the rest of the bag, determined not to make that a mental image.

     “Oh, speaking of,” Seokjin leaned against the counter, “How did Jungkook get all those cuts and bruises?”

     “He didn’t tell you?”

     “No, he kind of avoided it.”

     “I mean maybe you should ask him again?“

    “Who did it?”

     Hoseok pondered the scenario that involved him telling the ornery hybrid that his ex-best friend gave his ex-husband the beating of a lifetime. I mean, yeah he's going to be pissed and kick Yoongi's and it's what he deserves... and he has to find out somehow, but do you want to do this before you've even had your breakfast?

     "Hobi?"

     Hoseok sighed.

     “It was right after you left,” Hoseok turned to him, “Yoongi blamed him, gave him quite the beat down.”

     “Yoongi did that?”

     “It’s on the security footage, but it’s a bit graphic-“

     “Show me.”

 

      Exactly 15 minutes after watching the footage, throwing on a shirt, and getting the warning that Namjoon was at Sunghoon’s for a meeting, Seokjin was busting through the meeting room door at the ranch.

     Everyone scrambled to stand, surprised by the intrusion. But, Seokjin had already seized Yoongi by the collar and thrown him through the glass window where he landed on the lawn, shards of glass pelting the grass all around him. 

     “Woh Seokjin,” Namjoon tried to hold him back from jumping over the pane, but Seokjin only pushed him away and was back on Yoongi in seconds, a hard kick to his mid-section that sent him into the air.

      Yoongi didn't try to fight back, his body hit the side of the house seconds later. An oomph escaped the vampire's lips as Seokjin pinned him to the wall, placing an outline of his body into the plaster.

     "Seokjin!" Namjoon cried, hurrying out after him.

     "I can't make this any more clear, you touch him again and this will be your death scene," Seokjin seethed, a new shade of red highlighting his anger.

     "Please,” Yoongi pushed him back, “Do me the favor."

     “Perhaps we should discuss this in private?” Namjoon suggested, exchanging tense glances with Sunoo and Sunghoon who were both standing at the window, staring after.

     “I have nothing else to say,” Seokjin’s glare was fierce as he clenched his jaw, staring down Yoongi, "I'm only giving you one warning."

     “Stand in line,” Yoongi scoffed, “Little dickhead gets coddled by everyone else too.”

     Seokjin decked him, laying him out on his , “Why? Why did you do it?”

     “I don’t know, tired of seeing you suffer because of his bull?” Yoongi stared up at him, wiping the blood from his lip.

     “Did you think I would be okay with this?”

     “It doesn’t matter, no matter what I do, I lose... so go ahead, kick my if it makes you feel better,” Yoongi rose, spitting out a wad of blood.

     "It's over, Yoongi," Seokjin grabbed him, pulling him closer so they were face to face, "if you even look at Jungkook the wrong way, not even Namjoon will be able to pry me off."

     Yoongi scoffed, pulling himself free from Seokjin's grasp, he turned and bowed his head to Sunghoon, “I apologize for the drama.”

     Sunghoon gave a nod.

      Yoongi turned back to Seokjin, "Jungkook has been nothing but a plague to the pack and you're patient zero. Rest in ing peace."

      Seokjin watched as Yoongi stormed off, disappearing through the woods.

     Namjoon grasped Seokjin's arm, knowing he was seething inside and might actually follow Yoongi through the trees and one of them wouldn't be coming out if that were to happen. "I'll walk you to your car."

      "I'm fine," Seokjin pulled his arm away. He turned to Sunghoon and Sunoo, and bowed his head, "I'll pay for all the damages."

     "Thank you," Sunghoon didn't know what else to say.

     "I'll see you back at the house," Namjoon squeezed his shoulder.

      "Yeah," Seokjin headed off toward his car, feeling unsatisfied.

 

     "He's still walking?" Jimin huffed.

     "He's broken, Jimin..." Seokjin slumped down, "I went there today with the intent to kill him, but he didn't even fight back. This is all my ing fault, I should kick my own ."

     "I can't deny that," Jimin agreed, "You ed up and took some people down with you, but I hope it taught you a lesson."

     A lesson? More like he could actually write a whole manual on 'what not to do in a relationship' at this point, "All I know is that I will never forgive Yoongi for what he did, Jungkook did not deserve that."

     "I hope you don't take Jungkook for granted anymore. You have to do better.''

     "Trust me, I know I got more chances than I should have."

     "Jungkook's way more forgiving than I am," Jimin admitted, "But I also don't like what Yoongi did to Tae either, so maybe my opinion is skewed-"

     "I'm the reason that Yoongi isn't alright," Seokjin shook his head, "I did that to him."

     "I'm sure he will figure his life out, but it can't be your concern anymore."

     "I know," Seokjin inhaled a deep breath, "Jungkook and taking down Akiyama are the only thing in my brain now."

     Taehyung entered the lab, a smile on his face, "Heard you knocked Yoongi on his ."

     "He won't be bothering Kookie anymore," Seokjin hoped, "but he also seems to have a death wish, so-"

     "Sunghoon gave him a mission, so hopefully he won't feel the need."

     Jimin pulled out his CHIM case, popping the top.

     "Oh," Taehyung remembered, "Hobi told me to tell you that he had to frost his cake and then he'd be down."

     "Sweet."

      "What is all this?" Seokjin picked up the spectrometer to study it.

     "We are sending Chimmy back to the other dimension again, this time he thinks the coordinates are tweaked correctly."

      "So he put Chimmy in another dimension before?" Seokjin was surprised.

     "You missed a lot," Taehyung took out the hamster feed and began to put some in Mochi's bowl.

     "I guess so."

 

SEPTEMBER 3

 

      Seokjin stood at his bedroom window peering down at Jungkook and Beomgyu trying to fix the plants that the zombies trampled as Taehyung put sticks of wood to tie them to in the dirt alongside. Seokjin needed a hobby to keep him occupied, no best friend meant that when Jungkook was hanging out with others, he would have no one to chill with. He wasn't sure if he should go down and be with the younger or just let him be. It was healthy not to spend every waking moment together, even if he did miss the out of him.

     "I think someone is bored," Taehyung gave a nod over his shoulder towards the window, Jungkook looked up and gave a wave. Seokjin waved back and then disappeared from the window.

     "Should I go hang with him?" Jungkook stood, kneeling was making his knees ache.

     "That's up to you."

     "You wouldn't mind?" Jungkook took the sticks from his pocket.

     "Nope, I got Beomgyu, he looks like he's having a good time," Taehyung snickered at the young vampire, whose attention was focused on tracing the clouds above.

     "Huh?" Beomgyu snapped back to reality as Jungkook shoved the sticks into his hand.

     "Just feel like after what he did today, he might need me."

     "Jimin thinks he shoulda done more," Taehyung mentioned.

     "Yeah well, Jimin has more reason to hate him than you do."

      "Nope, there is no chance in hell I am getting back with Yoongi," Taehyung protested, "I cannot and will not forgive him for what he did to you."

      "Anyway, I will catch you both later."

      Beomgyu watched as Jungkook hurried off, then turned back to Taehyung, "Why does he get to bail?"

     "You don't have to help-"

      "Nothing else to do," Beomgyu handed Taehyung another stick as he sighed.

     "How do you feel about this whole Yoongi thing?"

     "I mean, I get why everyone is mad, but I feel like he's going through a lot too," Beomgyu inferred, "Also, feel like I should have followed him to Sunghoon's pack."

     "Why didn't you?"

     "I have friends here, and Namjoon has been good to me."

     "Fair," Taehyung stood, looking over his crops, "Think that's all of them."

     "Yoongi has some to work through, and being here was not good for his mental health."

     "I can't argue that, but he went a little far with Jungkook."

     "Yeah," Beomgyu shook his head, "But I've never been that in love with someone, so I don't know what crazy looks like."

     Taehyung frowned.

 

     Seokjin leaped onto Jungkook's back and the younger piggybacked Seokjin across the sand down to the water's edge. The waves were calm, and they planned to dip their toes in the low tide waters.

     "It's too hot for September," Seokjin jumped down, splashing down in the foam as the wave retreated.

     "Maybe the universe really is out of whack," Jungkook picked up a shell and flung it.

     "I can't imagine how your donor is handling Cato being up there-"

    Jungkook chuckled, "Hope they are giving each other hell."

     "This whole thing is too much, none of it makes sense."

     They all just like to play games and watch us suffer, what else is new?"

     "Ugh, ya know, we shouldn't be thinking about this," Seokjin turned to him, "I should be concentrating on you and this moment."

     Jungkook stole a kiss and then bent down to grab another shell, "Ok, free day, no bad thoughts, only us."

     "Oh that's pretty," Seokjin spotted a piece of orange sea glass glimmering from within the pebbles and shells, "never seen orange before."

     "There are two more over there," Jungkook pointed behind the elder and he turned to spot them.

     "Big for a piece of sea glass," Seokjin picked one of them up, holding the worn-down lemon-sized piece of glass up to the sunlight.

     "Hobi says mermaids place strange colors to attract prey."

     "All the mermaids are friendly in this area," He peered out toward the horizon, "Unless?"

     "Unless what?"

     "When they seek council with someone of importance, they set out offerings."

     "Sea glass as an offering?"

     "It's subtle and doesn't alert humans," Seokjin scanned the water, "It's folklore, so it might not even be true, but if Arista is trying to contact someone, it could be important."

     "Queen of the mermaids?"

     "Of the merpeople, but yeah," Seokjin pocketed the glass, spying several more glittery pieces up and down the beach, "I wonder if her calls are not being answered."

     "Is there someone that stands out here looking for these things?"

     "Kind of, beachcombers are the human protectors of merpeople, part of their duties are to patrol the beaches."

     "Forreal?"

     Seokjin smiled, "Yeah, a lot of them are environmentalists or marine biologists."

     "Weird."

     Seokjin snapped off a picture of the orange-colored sea glass to send to Namjoon, maybe he could make heads or tails of what this meant. He wasn't going to think on it anymore, he stuck his phone back in his pocket and then back-hugged Jungkook.

     Jungkook smiled, "Pleasure is much better than business."

     "You feel good," Seokjin nibbled on the younger's shoulder making Jungkook shudder.

     "You keep doing that and we might not make it off this beach without sand in awkward places."

     "That sounds like a good time, but also, sand in my scar sounds-"

     "Yeah, no," Jungkook turned to him, giving him a kiss, "Don't even elaborate."

     Seokjin snickered, "Want to go get something to eat?"

     "I could use some sustenance," Jungkook rubbed his belly.

     "How about that cafe by the beach that you used to like?"

     "Perfect," Jungkook kissed him then turned towards the parking lot, "I haven't eaten there since before... well."

     "Yeah, same," Seokjin hadn't eaten out at many of their old digs since the divorce, "I like the lip ring by the way."

     "Thanks," Jungkook tongued the metal accessory, reaching back to grab Seokjin's hand.

 

     Taehyung exited the lab, giggling. He ran into Jungkook and Seokjin, grabbing the younger's arm to stop them.

     "Hey, fair warning, Beomgyu had a little mishap, so don't laugh," Taehyung cleared his throat to hold back a fit of laughter.

     "Mishap?"

      "I think he's a bit ear-itated."

     "Oh god, what now?" Jungkook pushed open the door and he walked in, followed by Seokjin.

     "Hey," Beomgyu threw on a beanie and then leaned against the counter, "What's up?"

     "What's going on?" Jungkook leaned next to Beomgyu.

     "Oh you know, the usual," Beomgyu's smile was unnatural, forced.

     "You're not fooling anyone," Jungkook attempted the grab Beomgyu's hat, but he evaded like a pro, swooping around to face Jungkook.

     "You've got the moves there," Seokjin pulled off the vampire's hat, "But ya forgot to look behind you... oh nice ears."

     Beomgyu hung his head, embarrassed, "Go ahead and laugh."

     "But they're cute, who would laugh?" Seokjin handed him back the beanie.

     "Miscalculations when transfiguring happens," Hoseok lifted his goggles, "I think you should keep them."

     Beomgyu wiggled his fluffy cat ears that somehow didn't rescind when he transformed back to human.

     "How long does this last?" Jungkook asked.

     "A couple hours maybe," Beomgyu sighed, "It hasn't happened since I was ten."

     "At least it wasn't your tail," Jungkook reassured.

     Seokjin stuck his hands in his pockets, a tinkling sounded within.

     "Oh crap, I need to go talk to Namjoon," Seokjin remembered after pulling the sea glass from his pocket.

     "Orange," Hoseok stood taking the glass from him, "this was on the beach?"

     "Yeah, you know something about it?"

     "If I remember right," Hoseok held it up to the light, "and that's a big if... orange means..." he scratched his head, "danger?"

      Beomgyu took the glass, his ears twitching wildly, "Ooh, this is a nice shade, mind if I keep one?" 

     "Sirens are predators, what could they be in danger of?" Seokjin nodded to Beomgyu, "Have all of them if you want."

      One's good." Beomgyu pocketed the glass and sat.

     "I mean a lot of things," Hoseok went over to the computer and typed in some words, "with what Cato says Akiyama is up to, I wouldn't be surprised if he unleashed something into the waters as well."

     "Well I'm heading to see Namjoon, come along if you want," Seokjin turned to Jungkook, "See you later?"

     Jungkook nodded, "Yeah."

     Seokjin kissed his lips, "I love you."

     "Same."

     Jungkook watched as Seokjin and Hoseok left the room and then turned to Beomgyu.

     "So you two seem... back to... normal," Beomgyu flashed a scandalous smirk.

     "Yeah, you've been hanging out with Tae too much," Jungkook shoved him, smiling, "I guess I don't know how to do slow."

     "Well if he messes up again, I think at least seven people would kick his ," Beomgyu slid his beanie back on, "Do you want to go practice some crossbow with me?"

     "Yeah, I need to, I can feel my skills slipping by the second."

     Beomgyu chuckled, "I'll grab the stuff and meet you out there."

 

     Two hours later, Namjoon had arranged a meeting with Arista and two of her high ranks. If there was something happening in the world of the merpeople, it wouldn't be long until it spilled out onto land, if it hadn't already. Mermaids and sirens had the luxury of being able to go on land for a few hours at a time without the use of spells. Namjoon decided a meeting on a private beach would make the most sense.

     "Who are you taking with you?" Hoseok asked, sitting on the corner of his desk.

     "I think you and Taehyung make the most sense," Namjoon slipped his phone into his pocket as he stood, taking a peek at his watch, "You game?"

     "Yeah, always down."

     "Good, I'll go find Taehyung, meet you at the car in ten."

 

     The ride to the beach was more quiet than usual. All of them were contemplating what kind of trouble could be happening at the depths that the queen of the merpeople would deposit sea glass on the one stretch of beach that Seokjin frequented in hopes of alerting them.

     "It was a long shot," Namjoon broke the silence, "wonder why no one else spotted it."

     "It has to be Akiyama's meddling," Taehyung figured, "I can't imagine Cato has much freedom now."

     "I am sure Cato is not out of the loop nor am I convinced he is not in some way still calling the shots."

     "Did Dagma say something?" Hoseok inquired.

     "Dagma can't be on his all the time and she is the only one that realizes what he is capable of," Namjoon explained, "the gods aren't too concerned with his presence up there, as long as he isn't causing mass destruction."

     "I mean," Taehyung frowned, "That is usually his plan."

     "Cato is watched, but not as well as he should be," Namjoon feared, "His intent is still to create his army, although he refers to it as his family."

 

     Taehyung pulled up to the house that served as the Merpeople headquarters, it was run by a human marine biologist by the name of Luna, as to keep the facade that it was just another rich person with a private beach. The three of them were welcomed inside and shown to the basement where the underground water entrance was.

      "Arista shall be along shortly," Luna smiled, "Can I get any of you something to drink?"

     "No thank you," Namjoon scanned the room, interested in all the charts and machines.

     "Are these the tide charts for the world?" Taehyung was in awe as he leaned in to read the tide chart for Sydney, Australia.

     "Is there some sort of disturbance?" Hoseok didn't want to be the only one not engaging.

     "Yes, we've been studying the ecosystem around Sapphire Bay. Over the last four months, we've discovered two new types of sealife and an evasive species of sea kelp."

     "So right around the time that Sunghoon and Sunoo moved in?" Namjoon stopped to admire the painting of Atlantis that was hanging on the wall.

     "It wasn't anything that they caused," Luna popped up some photos on her screen, "This right here, sargassum muticum-"

     "That's one of the main ingredients of a clairvoyance potion," Taehyung turned to Hoseok to confirm.

     Hoseok nodded, "but also used in underwater breathing tinctures as well."

     "Yes, we add them to our diving potions when we go down to study for extended periods of time," Luna informed.

     Just then the water broke and a mercreature emerged from below the surface, her bright aqua hair falling to the side, covering her scaly torso. She was followed by two other merfolk, who too had bright, water-colored locks that fell upon themselves as they broke the water - completely dry. They swam the perimeter of the tank opening and settled at the foot where Namjoon was standing.

     "Namjoon," Arista held out her hand and Namjoon placed a peck upon it, bowing his head, "It is good to finally meet you."

     "Likewise," Namjoon gave her a smile as he backed up.

     "Luna told me you were bringing some of your acquaintances?"

      "I'd like to introduce you to two of my best men, Hoseok Jung and Taehyung Kim."

     "Pleasure," Taehyung shook her hand.

      Hoseok bowed his head as she turned to him, "Your majesty."

     "These are my right hands, Reece, our liaison with the sirens, and Ika, my daughter and second in command."

     "From this point on, you can arrange meetings through Luna, less likely to miss an important call that way."

     "We have to do things a certain way so we know who to trust," Arista swung her tail over the edge of the tank, her fish body morphed into a pair of legs, "Can't just invite everyone in."

     "Understood."

     "Seokjin is a bit of a wild card, but we lost our beachcomber last week, a freak boating accident."

     "Accident or murder?" Hoseok caught the tone.

     "That's what we are trying to work out," Arista turned to Ika, offering her hand to help her from the water, "I have been told I can trust you, Namjoon."

     "You can."

     Ika in turn helped Reece out of the water.

     "We have formed an alliance with the sirens, it's been a long road to peace-"

     "My people are not pleased with what happened with Seokjin and Fiona," Reece interjected, not one to beat around the bush.

     "The lady of the lake?" Taehyung remembered Yoongi saying that Seokjin had killed her, but never heard the details.

     "Fiona was an elder, she was placed there with the notion that Yoongi would protect her-"

     "Fiona attacked Seokjin, it was in self-defense that her life was taken-" Namjoon interrupted, not expecting to hear about this so long after it happened.

     "So the story goes," Reece gave a smile that was more like a sneer, "Yoongi also did not witness the whole incident."

     "I can assure you Seokjin would not murder for the fun of it," Namjoon insisted, "Especially a siren dignitary."

     "But would Cato? Yes," Reece added, "It is known that Cato was occupying Seokjin's body around that time."

     "What are you insinuating?"

     "I just need your assurance that he can be trusted."

     "One hundred percent," Namjoon said without an ounce of doubt, "Seokjin may have a lot of flaws, but his loyalty has never once been questioned."

     "Rumors run rampant in our world, you can never be sure which have some semblance of truth these days."

     "How can we be of assistance?" Namjoon was feeling a tad belligerent after the round of questions, he needed to calm his mind.

     "Our allegiance will be with you when the time comes, we'll monitor everything from our end, I just need one favor," Arista proposed, "Fauna."

     Taehyung stepped forward, "My Fauna?"

     "One in the same," Arista turned and walked over to him, "I need her to help us with our kelp issue."

     "I can call her up right now-"

     "That is the problem, she cannot know it is to help me."

     Taehyung had to contain his expression, he was sure he looked at her like she had six arms, "Dare I ask?"

     "Fauna and I had a little falling out many years ago."

     Namjoon spoke up, "At this point in time, maybe a truce is-" 

     "No," Arista interrupted, "I'm afraid this is one relationship that can never be mended."

     "What can I do?" Taehyung made a mental note to ask Jimin if he could get any juicy tidbits on events of the past between the two.

     "You could introduce me to her," Luna spoke, "as the head of MOES, it would be reasonable that I'd contact her. She'd never have to know that Arista is associated with our program."

      MOES, an acronym for the department of Marine Occult Ecosystem Studies.

     "She's a smart lady, I cannot assume she won't put two and two together," Taehyung advised, "Maybe a backup plan should be considered."

     "Her knowledge of protists is second to none," Arista bade, "I need her expertise on this one."

 

 

     Jimin moved over as Taehyung slid into the seat next to him, peering at the folder of Fauna that Jimin had pulled up. The library was dark, but neither of them moved to turn on a light.

     "She was a siren?" Taehyung was gobsmacked.

     Namjoon entered, flicking on the light and making them both stare up, blinking.

     "Arista seduced Fauna's husband and later went on to marry him, ostracizing Fauna and her family from the siren community."

     "Wouldn't this further a feud between the sirens and mermaids?" Namjoon questioned.

     "Fauna's husband was a part of the royal clan of Sapphire Bay sirens, both sides saw it as a positive union."

     "Why was Fauna ostracized?" Taehyung asked.

     Jimin pointed to a paragraph, "She wasn't a full siren, she was half human, a bastard offspring of her mother's love affair with a sailor."

     "So more pure blood bull?"

     "Bingo."

     "She, as you know, is a wizard with potions and plants. She produced a potion that nullifies the fishlike appendages, so no one is the wiser on her true identity."

     "Like forever?"

     "For days at a time," Jimin corrected, "I suppose fins come in handy if you ever need to explore the water."

     "She has a twin sister?" Namjoon read off.

     "Flora, who funnily enough, runs a  zoo in Florida and is not involved with the supernatural world at all."

     "Oh that's sad, Fauna never knew her human father," Taehyung read off, "He died under mysterious circumstances while on a fishing trip just off of Sapphire Bay."

     "A.K.A. was murdered," Namjoon guessed.

     "The council unanimously side-eyed the cause of death, not even worth an inquiry."

     "A.KA. People become fish food every day, what makes him special?" Taehyung added.

     "So what's the word on the new species of fish they've discovered?" Jimin inquired.

     Taehyung showed Jimin the pictures he had taken of the tanks where Luna was studying them, "This is a cousin of the stonefish, venomous and lethal if not treated quickly."

     "Ugly," Jimin swiped to see the second picture, a tiny manatee-like creature that couldn't be any bigger than a raccoon, "and this?"

     "Sea Fairy, this vixen can camouflage itself to be near invisible, is extremely intelligent, and is actually not a fish, it's part of the Sirenian order in the Trichechidae family."

     "So it's a type of manatee?" Jimin asked, "They're herbivores?"

     "Yeah, it has been seen feeding on the invasive kelp."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter