Chapter five: The Two Men

Militias of New Sands

The two men decided to loot the four remains of the squad who charged the wooden shack. Justin and Robert both took  two of the Uzis and ammunitions. Justin proceeded to reload his Glock 18 with the sidearm bullets looted from their bodies. Robert busily rummaged through their belongings and found a rough industrial insignia in one of their bodies.

”Hey man, this ring any bell to you?” asked Robert while showing Justin the insignia. “It looks like but it must be deliberately made, doesn’t look like it’s just some sort if useless junk.”

Justin sat at the corner, exhausted, answered, “That must be the standard issue insignia for the Liberation Party. Look at their right arm, that same symbol is there too.”

Robert continued rummaging through the bodies, “Which means it’s just a piece of junk.” He paused, looked at Justin, “Ay man! Don’t just sit there, help me out!”

”I can’t move, I’m too tired.”

”Well just log out and get some rest then!”

”I can’t. It’s been three days, and I’m still trapped here.”

”What? Haven’t you contacted the GMs for support?”

...

That was three days ago.

”So you can’t log out?” Said the pretty girl with long blonde ponylail and eyes bluer than the sapphire sky.

I staggered, surprised by the presence of an otherworldly being: a stunning beauty in formal work attire, surrounded by a war torn country or what’s left of it. Now that I think of it, she was the closest I have been to real life in the past three days.

”Uh... yeah.” I said, trying my best to compose myself. “I’ve tried logging out, but it can’t seem to work.”

”Let me check.” She sat down on the flimsy wooden chair and took out a thin laptop from her briefcase. She turned it on and began working on her stuff. Her stern face and perfect posture in front of the background of a rundown wooden shack is one of the most magical things I’ve seen in my life.

”It doesn’t seem like there is anything wrong with your console. We have had similar problems before, but yours seem a bit more complicated.”

”What does it mean?”

”Say, have you been to the shrink?”

”The what?”

”The psychiatrist.”

”Yes, I have. Does it have anything to do with this problem?”

”I suspect that your usage of depression or anxiety medications may have caused a change to your brainwaves, causing an anomaly to happen. While BraneStation is safe to use for anyone, but no tests were ever conducted towards people who consume medications for mental issues.”

”I see.” That was all I could say, I never thought that anything had would have happened. “So what can I do?”

”I need you to wait. I have to report this to the R&D department. At the meantime, do your best to conserve energy.”

...

”So that’s all you did these past three days? Holing yourself up in this hole? Lame! It’s a game, man! Come on, enjoy!” Said Robert.

”I haven’t let my brain rest for three days, you can imagine how exhausted I am right now. This is like having a bad case of insomnia, only that you can sleep but you don’t actually fall asleep, since your brain is still interacting with the BraneStation.”

”So what do you plan on doing after this?”

”Nothing, I guess. I have had enough. This warzone is my new reality, I can never go back to my world. Our world.”

”Nah it’s just your world, not mine.”

”I suppose you don’t miss anyone in that world? In real life.”

”I hate real life.” Robert scoffed.

”I miss my girlfriend, my best friend, my parents...”