Rainy Season

The Blind Woman and Medusa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Rainy Season

The delivery hadn’t taken as long as Wheein thought; this town was already like a second home to her so navigation wasn’t an issue.  Rather, it was what the town had offered that made her delay her journey home. 

Wheein’s delivery consisted of a sweet old woman, a family of five, and a few households that heard of the famous Jung Bakery from across town.  On the way back, Wheein couldn’t help but be consumed by the overwhelming smell of seaweed soup.   She had lost the battle between her consciousness telling her to return home before Yongsun throws a fit again and her stomach that growled for the delicious bowl of warm soup. 

The young woman found herself at the center of the town; the sun hadn’t rested perfectly between hazy afternoon and on the edge of night.  Stalls were crowded with people getting ready for dinner, the smell of grilled and fried food wafted through the air but Wheein was determined to find the seaweed soup stall.

To her dismay, the town had expanded since she last visited, the streets seem to have widened and the people much taller and opposing.   She had forgotten how famous the town was for its night market, a truly remarkable place to witness and explore.  However, it was becoming an issue for Wheein who felt more lost as she tapped her way through the different areas. 

Wheein settled herself at a stall selling fried dough that was drenched in sickly sweet honey, she would definitely return here after her meal. 

“Excuse me, sir, do you know where they sell seaweed soup?”

The man looked up briefly and responded, “Auntie Yu sells seaweed soup at the shop down the right.” 

Wheein thanked the man and gathered her stuff to leave but as she got up she bumped into another customer.

She immediately went into a bow and apologized without giving the stranger another glance, it was customary for her to do this as most people did not recognize she was blind and made snarky remarks about her.  The remarks never bothered her but she did feel rude if she didn’t apologize.

“Jung Wheein is that you?”

As soon as the young woman heard the voice she snapped her head up so fast she nearly collided with the taller stranger.

“Sung-hoon?”

The man laughed at the question, “I’m glad you still remember me even if you haven’t visited in years.”

Wheein looked away sheepishly at the comment.  The woman tucked her basket closer and fidgeted nervously, if Sunghoon was here then that meant…

“Ah I must really be going; it was nice meeting you Sung-hoon.”  Wheein gave him another bow and attempted to escape the situation.  The man didn’t allow her to run away as easily as he grabbed her arm immediately and halted her escape.

“Wait! Don’t go, it’s getting dark,”

“That’s why I must return home I have work to do,”

“Isn’t it dangerous for a girl like you to wander at night?”

“Precisely why I should go early then, right Sung-hoon?”  Wheein bit back her irritated tone; Sunghoon’s relentlessness was starting to bother her.

 The man didn’t conceal the hurt on his face, why did Wheein want to leave so quickly?  He thought that Wheein would’ve been more excited about their reunion but all she wanted to do was leave.  “Are you hungry?  I’ll buy you a meal before you go,”

Wheein shook her head and pulled on her arm once more, the longer she stayed in the town the more agitated she became.

“Sung-hoon I told you not to go-“ 

Wheein dropped her basket.

The worst thing that she imagined had happened.

“Jung Wheein?”

As soon as the name slipped from the older girl’s mouth Wheein felt her heart drop and all the emotions that she kept at bay over the years rushed back like a tsunami, crushing her underneath a layer of sadness that she tried so hard to bear with.  Wheein bit down on her lips from quivering, whether it was out of anger or sorrow she didn’t know.

Sung-hoon must’ve sensed the tension between the two girls and let go of his hold on Wheein and bent down to pick up the basket littered on the ground.  He suddenly became very interested in what the hotteok stall was selling.

The taller girl tried to break the silence, “So it’s been a while..”

“Yeah, it has been.”

Wheein’s voice came out more fragile than she wanted to.  The façade she was putting up was being torn down like it was made out of paper by the older girl.  She wanted nothing more than to return to the comfort of her home.

Wheein picked at the ground with her cane, “I really must be going home Chaeyoon,”

“I can walk you home-“

“No!” The awkwardness returned, Wheein was too eager in her response.

If the market had been any louder, Wheein wouldn’t have heard Chaeyoon say, “do you really hate me that much Wheein-ah?” But she did, and a part of her stupidly wanted to say it wasn’t but the betrayal she felt cut deep.

Wheein wondered how strong her front was, was Chaeyoon powerful enough to break her down like she was made of porcelain, or was Wheein able to keep herself stoic enough to get herself out of the situation?

“Just one dinner then, it’s late.” 

The young girl pondered for a second, she knew Chaeyoon was a persistent woman, and back then anything said would go.  She wonders if she would allow the same effect that Chaeyoon had on her to take over now.

“One dinner and I’ll go home.”  Chaeyoon nodded earnestly, her grin unseen by the younger girl.  Wheein didn’t allow Chaeyoon to touch her, but somewhere deep in her heart, she yearned for the older girl to slip her arm around hers as they did back then. 

Chaeyoon called for Sunghoon who ran back like a puppy that was just scolded.  Wheein led the duo wordlessly to the seaweed soup stall.  The tension was thick as ever and Sunghoon failed numerous times to make conservation that didn’t last less than a few words. 

“Auntie, can I have a bowl of seaweed soup and some kimchi dumplings?” 

“Same for me”, Chaeyoon piqued, she sat next to the younger girl and stared at her hoping that Wheein would initiate a conversation.  Sunghoon sat at the end and was peering at the menu and ended up ordering more than the two women could eat together.

Chaeyoon made a noise of disapproval, “How are you going to eat all of that when you have practice tomorrow?”

“I ate two times more than this and still won a race the next day so I think I’ll do fine,” the young man snapped back.

The young girl observed the two, their relationship hadn’t changed and if she wasn’t so depressed by her relationship with the older girl perhaps that bickering would’ve made her crack a smile.  The conversation continued with two siblings with Wheein only participating when they tried to ask her questions.

“Are Yongsun and Byul still together?”

“Yes,”

“How’s the bakery doing?”

“Good,”

“Are you curious if I got a girlfriend yet Wheein-ah?”

“No.”

That was how it transpired between the three

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter