A Merry Christmas (Interlude)

The Blind Woman and Medusa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
A Merry Christmas (Interlude)

The morning Hyejin woke to was filled to the brim with flakes of white, the ground buried with sleeks of snow. The sun was nowhere to be seen yet when Hyejin set up her fireplace the warmth had been there the entire time. It was Christmas, and every year as families would celebrate the delightful holiday and Santa Claus went to deliver the gifts to good children, Hyejin spent it alone.

It had been decades since she celebrated Christmas, but what was a joyful holiday for everyone bore nothing but a poignant reminder of what Hyejin lost.

“Merry Christmas!”

“Unnie it’s too early for this!” Wheein groaned out loud, her face still buried in her pillow.

“Why, it’s Christmas, my dear friend! Tis the season to pass out presents and baked goods!” 

Moonbyul sat on top of Wheein and bounced on the poor girl excitedly, trying to rid the sleep from Wheein’s weary mind.

“When have you started gaining weight unnie?” 

The silver-haired woman gasped audibly from the younger girl’s snarky remark. Yongsun, who was busy in the kitchen, snickered.

Moonbyul got off the girl but with the Christmas spirit in her still, she yanked the smaller girl off the bed. Wheein covered her face and tried to shove the older off. But it was useless and before she knew it, she was in the bathroom getting ready for the morning. Since today was the 25th of December, people had already begun to pass out presents and this would be one of the most hectic days for them, therefore Moonbyul had woken her up before the sun had made its appearance.

With presents in mind, Wheein had bought Moonbyul and Yongsun a trip to the islands. It was a great vacation spot for the couple and a perfect way to get rid of them for a while; to be honest, everyone would need a break from the couple, especially if you kept walking into them in their most compromising positions. But even if the air was filled with joy and hopes, Wheein thought of Hyejin. What could the older girl be doing now? Did she have friends or family to spend the holidays with? 

“Wheein-ah hurry up in there, we need your expertise out here!” Moonbyul disturbed her thoughts with two loud knocks.

“I’m coming!”

The small girl called out and hurriedly cleansed her face one more time. Wheein fastened the strings of her robe and left the bathroom, but the image of Hyejin never escaped her mind. 

Customers piled in, orders were thrown out left and right, and the smell of vanilla roamed in the air. Moonbyul was arguing with a customer who was cutting the lines, Yongsun and Wheein who was covered in flour and sugar were bringing out fresh pastries faster than they can even bake them. 

When the store finally emptied with only a few customers left lingering, the three girls sat on the counter, their exhaustion was expressed through a series of heavy sighs. 

“I want a nap,” Moonbyul laid across the counter and closed her eyes for a few seconds. Yelling and talking all morning had worn out the girl’s voice, and it cracked as she spoke. Yongsun took a big gulp from the glass of water she brought and offered it to her girlfriend who gratefully took it. 

Wheein, just as equally as exhausted was still at work. Unlike the other girls, she was determined to bake one last batch of cookies for a certain person. 

“I can’t believe she’s still working,” 

“Well, that’s our Wheein. She’s always pushing herself,” Yongsun linked her fingers with Moonbyul.

The blonde suddenly kissed the taller girl’s cheeks, confusing Moonbyul in return. Yongsun had never been first to initiate affection but Moonbyul wasn’t complaining about Yongsun’s sudden change in attitude. She thought perhaps tired Yongsun meant clingy Yongsun and that Yongsun hardly appeared unless it was in the bedroom.

“Hey, do you guys still have any- Moonbyul?” 

The silver-haired woman instantly turned to the direction of the voice, a familiar sound that possessed the power to awaken the beast, aka jealous Yongsun. 

The woman before them had gorgeous almond brown eyes that bore an exact resemblance to the color hot chocolate, whilst her hair was parted and combed neatly. She was tall and dressed in a white robe that hugged at her tall figure but made her look like a goddess. Dahee stood behind the counter clutching a bag and smiled at them, flexing her flawless face and her beautiful smile that would win any man’s or woman’s heart. Not only did she had beautiful looks to accompany her, but she also was funny, intelligent and had a kind soul.

She’s too perfect, perhaps she’s, in fact, a goddess in disguise, Yongsun thought.

“Hey, Dahee!” Moonbyul waved nervously at the older girl.

Yongsun forced a smile but even Moonbyul noted the tension radiating from the blonde. Dahee’s presence answered Moonbyul’s question about her girlfriend’s clinginess.  At the time Moonbyul had no idea Yongsun felt the same as her and Moonbyul who loved Yongsun more than her desire to become something more, chose to pursue a different girl to break off any reminisces of her feelings for the older girl.

Dahee and Moonbyul only went on a few dates before Yongsun who couldn’t contain her jealousy and love for the silver-haired girl again more confessed. Luckily for Moonbyul, Dahee had also preferred being friends and the two broke it off before anything else happened. But Yongsun knew that Moonbyul had a charm that no girl could resist and that meant she couldn't help but feel a bit possessive.

“So you’re back in town, how’s Milos treating you?”Moonbyul gave her a half-smile, and Yongsun suddenly became interested in helping Wheein. However, Moonbyul was persistent to prove she was solely Yongsun’s and held the blonde back.

“It was great! The islands were undeniably stunning, and I had a few flings here and there,” The woman wiggled her eyebrows with a knowing look and laughed, “but I just had to come back to my hometown for Christmas.”

“Of course, there is no better place to celebrate it with your friends and families.” 

Yongsun nodded along. She had been quiet the entire conversation and she knew she shouldn’t be jealous but Dahee was the precise image of a perfect woman for Moonbyul, and it was foolish but sometimes she thought that Moonbyul might've preferred Dahee to her. 

“Ah, it’s so nice seeing you Moonbyul again, and you too Yongsun! You guys make such a cute couple, and that's why I have a gift for both of you.” Yongsun raised her eyebrows in surprise, her shocked face couldn’t be concealed as Dahee pulled two bottles of perfume out of her bag. 

“I- we can’t accept this! We don’t have anything for you since we didn’t know you were coming to town. Dahee, you’re too kind,” Moonbyul tried pushing the bottles back into the brunette’s hands but she was relentless.

“What are friends for Moonbyul? Please keep these presents since I will be going back to Milos soon after Christmas.” 

The brunette gave her begging eyes and Moonbyul couldn’t deny the gifts. Moonbyul observed the presents in awe; they must be priceless. Yongsun thanked Dahee for the gifts politely and then disappeared into the kitchen before Moonbyul could stop her. The silver-haired woman hesitated to follow her inside but then she decided to catch up with her school friend. 

A few minutes later Yongsun appeared again, this time with a neatly wrapped box.

Bewildering both Moonbyul and Dahee, Yongsun smiled and spoke to Dahee, “Christmas really wouldn’t be completed without some sweets.” 

Dahee accepted the box of pastries and said a few thanks and goodbyes before leaving the store. Then when they were completely alone, Moonbyul turned to her girlfriend with a sly smirk.

“That was hot,”

Yongsun gave her a puzzled look.

“What? Me giving food to your old lover?”

Moonbyul groaned instantly.

“She’s not a past lover!”

“Mhm, just like Eric isn’t mine's.”

Moonbyul’s eyes squinted in annoyance and she pouted, the forbidden name had been spoken.

“We do not talk about him in this household!”

“Come on he’s not that bad!”

“You-”

“Plus Dahee is a good person.” Yongsun flashed her a gleeful grin, and Moonbyul shook her head.

“Fine, how about we don’t focus on our past relationships, but more on our current one...” There was a naughty glint in Moonbyul’s eyes, and the blonde knew where this conversation was headed.

“Mhmm, I think I would like to do more of this thinking somewhere more private…” 

“Oh, that sounds like a great idea,” The younger girl placed small kisses

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter