Chapter 7

A Tale of Two Packs

There was something that Gunhak always noticed with the 'shifters side of the pack. They seemed to be avoiding pissing off Wooseok as the nightmares continued. He wondered why, as Hwanwoong and now Xion spent their nights out with Wooseok and Jinhyuk, talking about who knows what. He was curious about their conversations, and decided to try and join in next time. If he could wake up in time to join them.

Movement from the floor below woke Gunhak up as he opened his eyes. He quickly checked the time and sat up, stretching as he noticed how early it was. "Damn, 4 am?" He asked. He got up and headed out of the room as quietly as he could, closing the door behind him and heading downstairs. He grabbed his shoes and put them on, noticing how quiet it got outside.

"Waiting on me?" Asked Gunhak as he stepped onto the deck before moving to close the door. "Kind of," said Jinhyuk. "Come sit down," he said, motioning to one of the empty unmarked chairs. Wooseok was already there, curled up in his recliner as he yawned, getting comfortable as he closed his eyes to try and sleep again. Xion sat across from Wooseok in a similar position, waving to Gunhak. "Hwanwoong went to bed then?" Asked Gunhak. "Was what you heard earlier I'm sure," said Jinhyuk. "I see," said Gunhak as he went to sit down. He leaned against the arm of the chair, letting his feet hang off the other arm as he got comfortable.

"What brought you out here?" Asked Jinhyuk. "I woke to movement," said Gunhak. "So I checked the time and thought, eh why not join you for one night," he said. "Hwanwoong was exhausted tonight," said Jinhyuk. "So he headed in after Wooseok and Xion came outside," he said. "I see," said Gunhak.

"I got some sleep tonight," said Xion. "So don't worry about me," he said. "I wasn't going to ask, but sure," said Gunhak. "I know you try to sleep as much as you can," he said. "I'm more worried about Hwanwoong," he said. "The nightmares never got this bad huh?" Asked Jinhyuk. "Not that I'm aware of," said Xion. "And I've been his roommate each house we were in," he added. "Hm," said Gunhak.

"Might be because of a familiar setting?" Asked Jinhyuk. "You know, since he was turned around this area or something," he added. "That makes sense," said Gunhak. "Bad memories I'm sure," Wooseok said suddenly, opening his eyes as he stretched in his chair, reclining back to get more comfortable. "Still can't sleep?" Asked Jinhyuk. "Not tonight it seems," said Wooseok. "Sunyoul's going to make a fuss again," Jinhyuk said with a snort. "I can't help it alright?" Asked Wooseok as he sighed. Xion chuckled slightly, shaking his head.

 

~



It was Youngjo that found them after the sun rose, sighing as he spotted Gunhak. "Now it's you?" He asked, earning a chuckle from Gunhak. "Yes," said Gunhak. "I saw that Hwanwoong is in bed for once," said Youngjo. "Yeah," said Gunhak. "And I took his place it seems," he said. "Did you at least get some sleep Xion?" Asked Youngjo as he went to sit down in a chair next to Gunhak. "Maybe like an hour," said Xion.

"Xiao yelled at me to get you to make breakfast," Youngjo said to Xion. "Okay," said Xion as he got up, heading inside to start breakfast with Xiao.

"Anything happening today?" Asked Gunhak. "Yeah, Hwanhee's returning today," said Wooseok as he opened his eyes, moving his head to look at Gunhak. "Oh," said Gunhak. "Thought I fell asleep again huh?" Asked Wooseok as he rubbed his eyes. "You were too quiet," Gunhak said with a shake of his head. Wooseok chuckled some as he stretched in his chair.

"Who's going to get him?" Asked Gunhak. "I am," said Jinhyuk. "Why?" He asked. "Mind if I come along?" Asked Gunhak. "No, not at all," said Jinhyuk. "Are you even capable of driving right now?" Asked Youngjo. "He's driven in worse conditions," Wooseok said, yawning again. "I think you need to sleep," said Youngjo. "I'll get around to it," said Wooseok.

 

~



After breakfast and making sure that Wooseok was asleep, and asking Hwanwoong to sleep in the same room to see if it would help the nightmares, Gunhak and Jinhyuk headed to the airport in the truck to go pick up Hwanhee.

"You look exhausted," said Hwanhee as he got in the truck after putting his bags in the truck bed. "It's been a rough few months," said Jinhyuk as he started the truck and drove off, heading back towards home.

"How's things?" Asked Hwanhee. "Could be better," said Gunhak. "They have this big late night talk thing every night now," he said. "Sounds interesting," said Hwanhee. "Wooseok's being plagued by nightmares again, and two of the werewolves can't sleep," said Jinhyuk. "So we set this up," he said. "When Wooseok and Xion head out it's already 4 am and Hwanwoong and I've been out there for most of the night," he said.

"Everyone's curious about what the conversations are about," said Gunhak. Jinhyuk laughs. "We talk about everything," he said. "But lately it's been silent," he said. "More due to Wooseok falling asleep and we have nothing much to say," he added. "Sometimes Hwanwoong falls asleep too," he said. "Xion's there to keep my company I guess," he said. "Insomnia is a dangerous thing," Gunhak. "Yeah," said Jinhyuk.

"How's the fights with Kogyeol?" Asked Hwanhee. "We haven't had many fights lately," said Jinhyuk. "I think he noticed that I was paying more attention to Wooseok," he said. "Or Sunyoul talked to him or something," he said. "Xiao and Xion are finally getting along," Gunhak said with a snicker. "That's surprising," said Hwanhee. "They weren't on the best of terms when I left with Gyujin," he said.

When they got home Gunhak all but ordered Jinhyuk to get some sleep, to which Xiao and Kogyeol backed him up, the two of them noticing how Jinhyuk was running on fumes at this point. Xion was next to be reprimanded by Gunhak as he turned his attention to the youngest.

"Look," said Gunhak. "I know you can't get much sleep but try okay?" He asked. "Try sleeping in Wooseok's room with the others or something," he said. Xion looked down. "I'm sorry," he mumbled. "I'm not mad at you," said Gunhak as he put a hand on Xion's shoulder. "I'm just concerned," he said. "Try, okay?" He asked. Xion looked up, and Gunhak saw tears in his eyes. "I-," he started before Gunhak gave him a hug.

"It's okay," said Gunhak. "Just try okay?" He asked. "That's all I'm asking," he said. Xion nodded into Gunhak's shoulder before he moved away. "Okay," he said. Gunhak nodded, giving a small smile. "Now, go sleep," he said. Xion nodded again and went to Wooseok's room.

"A bit harsh on him," remarked Hwanhee as he watched the exchange. "I don't want to force him to," said Gunhak. "But sometimes I have to force him to get some rest," he said. Hwanhee hummed in response.