Seeing Her

Huffle & Slyther

“Hold on to your wand, Tae.”

The words of Yuri rang repeatedly in Taeyeon’s mind as she walked to the main entrance of the castle. It was like an alarm that would not stop no matter how many times it was told to—irritating to say the least. Her neck stiffened at the sight of the Slytherin prefect standing beside the towering oak doors. Golden hair lay over broad shoulders like a soft, cosy nest of curls. Robes off for the day, it took a moment to drink in the pastel pink hoodie and jeans Tiffany donned. Then their eyes met.

Her skin tingled. Breath hung in the air. Sounds muted.

“You’re right on time, Taeyeon.”

“Is something wrong?”

“I thought you would be early.”

“I would have been but Yuri kept reminding me to hold on to my wa—” Taeyeon stopped herself but it was a little too late.

Tiffany smirked. “Your friend has nothing to worry about. I’m not going to get you into trouble.”

“That’s what I told her.”

“Is that so?”

Taeyeon nodded. “Yes.”

Tiffany chuckled. “Let’s go,” she said, surprising Taeyeon with a smile as they walked out to the castle grounds.

“Your smile is pretty,” Taeyeon blurted.

Tiffany’s smile gained a notch. “You’re smoother than I thought.”

“I’m not.”

“You don’t know that you are. I’ll bet you’ve got a little Slytherin hidden in you.”

“If I have a little Slytherin then you have a little Hufflepuff.”

Tiffany snorted. “There’s not a single ounce of Hufflepuff in me.”

“What if there is? What would you do?”

“Get rid of it.”

“Do you hate Hufflepuff that much?”

“I don’t hate Hufflepuff. If I did, I wouldn’t be walking with you right now.”

“But you don’t want any Hufflepuff in you.”

“Because that will hold me back from my goals.”

“What are you goals?”

“I want to become an Auror.”

“Really?”

“Why do you look so surprised? Slytherins make very good Aurors.”

“I didn’t think you’d be working on this side of the law.”

Tiffany gave Taeyeon a punch on her arm. “Not all Slytherins turn dark.”

“I didn’t mean that.”

“You totally did.”

“Shh, we shouldn’t be so loud.”

“Haven’t you heard? I’m always loud.”

Taeyeon bit her lip. “They’re all looking at us.”

“Who?”

“Everybody.”

Tiffany glanced around then grinned at Taeyeon. “Are you being a Hufflepuff now?”

“What does that mean?”

“Hufflepuffs don’t like the spotlight much, right?” Tiffany laughed and threw an arm around Taeyeon’s shoulders. She laughed again at the audible gasps around her. “Get used to it, Taeyeon. From now on, you’re going to be the talk of the school.”

“Weren’t you the one who thought any association with a Hufflepuff was a bad idea?”

“I did, but I realize I was being stupid.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you know Lestranger?”

Taeyeon nodded. “Of course I do. She’s a sixth year Slytherin.”

“She’s dating Cedrik.”

“Cedrik?” Taeyeon’s eyes opened wide. “Really?”

“Yeah, they’re dating. So I figured if Lestranger can date a Hufflepuff, so can I.”

“But Lestranger isn’t a prefect. And you were really at my throat for blood not so long ago.”

“Are you regretting your decision now?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “I’m not,” she grinned, “yet.”

Tiffany laughed heartily. “And she says she’s not smooth. I think I’m being played right now. By a Hufflepuff too.”

Taeyeon could feel a wholesome smile blooming across her face. “Hufflepuffs aren’t pushovers.”

“I don’t know about the others but this one isn’t.”

“I’m not.”

“I know. I saw the way you went for the Ravenclaws who laughed at you, remember?”

“I can’t believe you crushed on me because of that.”

“What about you? Have you ever noticed me before?”

Taeyeon took a good long look at Tiffany.

“I guess not, huh.”

“Actually, I—” Something barrelled into Taeyeon, knocking her off balance. She stumbled and almost fell, but Tiffany grabbed her arm and hauled her back up.

“Watch where you’re going, will you,” Tiffany said to Bellix, the fourth year Slytherin who had bumped into Taeyeon.

“Opps, did I hurt your little Hufflepuff friend?” Bellix asked in a feigned whiny voice before launching into a rough, swine-like snort of laughter.

“Is Tiffany friends with a Hufflepuff?” Narcy asked in the same affected whiny tone, her eyes taunting for a fight.

“Or would you rather Tiffany be fighting with me and losing more points so that Gryffindor can win this year?” Taeyeon growled in the spiteful face of Narcy.

Bellix and Narcy stared at each other for a moment, clearly needing more than a moment to make sense of the logic behind it.

“Is that why?” Bellix asked Tiffany, her tone a little less hostile than before.

Tiffany, however, glared at Bellix, fire and flames and lava. “Do I need a reason to be friends with someone?”

“Yeah, it’s Tiffany’s choice,” Taeyeon added in support.

“Not if she wants to be a Slytherin prefect,” Bellix replied, casting a mean glare back at Tiffany.

“You can’t take that away from me, Bellix,” said Tiffany, folding her arms, “It’s not against school rules to be friends with a Hufflepuff. Now, leave us alone.”

Narcy’s sneer made Taeyeon’s hair stand. “We don’t play by the rules, remember?”

“You’re just going to end up losing more points for Slytherin. Then Hufflepuff might even stand a chance to win this year,” Taeyeon retorted.

“Wait and see, Hufflepuff,” Bellix scoffed as they walked away at last.

Taeyeon’s heart was still thumping hard from the adrenaline when Tiffany touched her arm.

“Are you okay?”

Taeyeon released the breath she had been holding and nodded. “I’m okay.”

“There’s going to be more of that if you hang out with me. Do you still want this?”

Looking into Tiffany’s clear, fiery eyes, Taeyeon noticed for the first time, a hint of uncertainty. It felt as though Tiffany were unsure about something. Was it possible that confident, outspoken Slytherin prefect Tiffany had insecurities too? Maybe? So, Taeyeon smiled. “Yes, I want this.”

x