Chapter 3: Myeongdong

My Dream VS Them

Chapter 3: Myeongdong

 

It's been weeks since Dev got to Korea, and she hadn't gone online even once ever since she got there. No e-mails. No phone calls. No nothing. I was thinking that she was just having a great time over there. And my instincts were telling me that she's in big trouble. 

 

I called Devon's mom, and we had the same situation. She was sick worried about her. She didn't want to lose her daughter after losing her husband a few years ago. 

 

Devon was alone there. If I only went to Korea with her, she wouldn't have gotten lost. Not that I know the streets in Seoul. She was just not the type of person who asks questions. She waits for answers without questioning. My stupid best friend and her shyness, I sighed.

 

A few weeks later, I was nearly dying. I spent my time at school answering questions like "Where is Devon?" or "When will she come back?" The answer was always "I don't know." Her mom got sick worried about her, only literally sick this time. And me? Well, I had no choice but to use up all my savings and look for her myself, if no one else will. 

 

I excused myself from school, and my parents agreed about everything fortunately, and I flew my goofy to Seoul. Finally, another trip to Seoul. I brought SungJong's handkerchief with me for good luck and hope to look for my missing best friend. 

 

 

When I arrived, I was clueless of where to look first. And then I thought, she is my best friend, and I should know where she would go first after arriving. Yes, that's right. She would head to Myeongdong, the downtown of Seoul. 

 

I settled in a hotel for backpackers. Not only it was cheaper than five star hotels, but I also thought I wouldn't be staying in the hotel a lot. So I left my baggage, and headed out to Myeongdong.

 

The moment I got out of the cab, dizziness washed over me. I haven't slept at all during the four-hour flight, and looking at the busy alleys of Myeongdong, I didn't know if I could make it. I started with the nearest alley. At the corner, there were a lot of food stands, and beside them were fancy clothes. Seriously? They sell fancy clothes at the streets? Very weird, but oh well, it's Korea anyway.

 

I continued walking, passed by Etude house and Skin food, and stopped by some restaurant. I decided to help myself first before starting to look for my stupid best friend. I needed energy to last the day. I ordered Bulgogi, my favorite Korean cuisine, and thought of Dev. "Hey Dev, if you can hear me now, I'm eating Bulgogi," I whispered. "No need to bring me home some. Just let me find you." I continued eating before I break down and cry. I didn't care if other people heard me talking to myself. I missed my best friend so bad.

 

 

I brought our photo, the one taken from our high school graduation, and showed it to almost every interesting store I passed by. Night fell, and I still had no luck. I saw a couple of girls having fun at the game house, some were entering the Noraebang, and it made me sadder about the fact that I wasn't with Dev. I kept looking, still no. I got farther and farther away from Myengdong, and reached a small village some few blocks away. It was so dark and quiet.

 

I was so tired, so helpless, and so hopeless. But I shouldn't be, I thought. I have to find her. I broke down at the deserted playground. Every good memory I had with Dev flashed back, and I sobbed again. And then I remembered the last time I cried like that in Seoul. It was because of the audition. I let out a laugh. I looked like an idiot, laughing while crying.

 

I stood up, contained myself, and started walking back to Myeongdong to look for a cab, when suddenly, a group of guys surrounded me, grinning. One said, "Hi there, little dongsaeng." I stopped walking, I looked at every one of them. They were four. One of them had scars all over his face, one had tattoos on his arm, and the two of them were just ordinary looking teenagers.

 

I am so dead.

 

And then I started running for my life.