Chapter 2: My Best Friend Goes to Korea

My Dream VS Them

 

Chapter 2: My Best Friend Goes to Korea

 

It's been months since my encounter with SungJong, but the memory is still fresh like it happened only yesterday. I've been meeting a whole bunch of Infinite fans, but none of them knew that I met SungJong. Of course, I wouldn't brag about me sitting on that filthy park bench crying my eyes out. 

 

The handkerchief he had given me was still with me. I put it in a fancy box with an Infinite symbol and a lock. The key to the lock, well, I decided to wear it as a necklace. Everyone thought it was just an ordinary pendant. And hiding the juicy story of my brief meeting with a KPOP Star was going well.

 

Every now and then, I open the box and look at the most beautiful souvenir I ever got from Korea. And his voice echoes in my head. "The opportunities are infinite."

 

I am now in a university. I've been busy with school stuff, but I always stopped and remembered the days I spent in Korea. It was magical. We never had winter in my country, so experiencing how the snow feels was a dream come true. Except for the fact that my dream of getting accepted in Woollim was completely shattered. But thanks to SungJong, I got my confidence back. I'm just not sure when I should try again. 

 

 

The warm wind blew, and the stack of paper that was resting on my lap flew and scattered all over the cement floor. I was sitting at a tree box at my university for a last minute study before the class. We were given some reading assignments for the English class the day before, and being a KPOP fan, I completely forgot about it because of fan girling over the internet.

 

I grunted, and while I was starting to pick up all the photo copies of yesterday's lecture, someone called from afar.

 

 "Hey, Lily!"

 

It was my best friend, Devon. She had a short hair, a smiley face and a very high and cute voice. I would've mistaken her for a Korean if she didn't talk when we first met. 

 

She stood just right in front of me while I was on fours, nearly finished picking up the papers. She was just standing still, not even giving me a hand. I stood up, put the papers into my bag and faced Dev.

 

"Gee thanks for helping," I said sarcastically.

 

"You're most welcome, my comrade! I mean, you're so stupid for reading this late. You should've done that last night," she said, giving me a side hug as I was zipping my bag. 

 

She talked like she wasn't even in a bad mood. Everyone was in a bad mood because of that mean professor, giving out a 20-paged reading homework. I noticed she was a bit hyped up, and she wasn't usually like that in the morning.

 

"What's with the high spirit?" I asked her as we walked along the sidewalk, heading to our building. 

 

"I'd love to tell you, but I know you'd be envious or something."

 

She stopped walking, and I looked back and gave her the you-tell-me-or-I-kill-you kind of look.

 

"Whoa, chill. Don't give me the look. Alright," she hurried and caught up with me and started telling me everything. "See, you know that I was asking my parents for a trip to Korea right?" I nodded and she continued, "So last night, I finally told them the perfect reason. I told them I'm going to audition in some companies in Korea."

 

While she was talking, I wasn't looking at her. I was thinking of the reading assignment and recalling what I've read. And then she mentioned Korea. My hand automatically went up to my neck and I held the key tightly. Korea? I thought. I'd love to go to Korea too, but with my current financial status, it's not likely. Although, I'm a bit worried about Devon. 

 

"You sure you don't want me to go with you?" I asked, and noticed her looking at my key pendant. "Got a problem with this?"

 

"Nothing. You've been wearing that for weeks and you're not telling me where you got it, who gave it to you or what sort of treasure it opens." I raised an eyebrow. "Anyway, yeah. I don't know if you can come with me," she continued. "I know I can do it alone."

 

This was my problem with her. Sometimes, she gets over confident and tends to think that she can do it, when in reality, she lacks the ability. I couldn't tell her that. She could sing, alright. But she couldn't speak even the slightest Korean. I mean, even if she could, no one will be able to understand her with her thick accent. 

 

"Whatever, Dev. If you get in trouble over there, I won't be able to do anything."

 

"Shut up. I'll bring you home some Bulgogi when I come back."

 

"IF you come back, that is," I said, and we both laughed. Behind her laughter was the excitement of actually going to Korea herself. And behind mine, I only had doubts.