final.

Inhumane

Three months after Mark’s leaving…

Without anymore threat of the androids or humans who want them hurt, Nayeon’s life had gone back to normal. Without getting interrupted by sudden missions or news that someone’s hurt, she had managed to complete all projects and essays for her finals.

And now, it’s finally graduation.

After the ceremony, Nayeon was invited to a few photography session. Sometimes with her own group of friends, sometimes with the class and sometimes with some of her project mates. Just when she finished yet another photography session, she spotted some familiar faces. The smile on her face spread even wider as she waved excitedly at them.

“Bambam! Jeongyeon! What are you guys doing here?”

“It’s your graduation, we have to come!” Bambam held out a bouquet of flowers. “And here, a congratulatory.”

“This,” Jeongyeon placed another on top of what Bambam had given Nayeon. “Is from me and—“ Jeongyeon turned her head slightly which Nayeon’s eyes followed.

Nayeon’s eyes widened. Standing by the corner was Jinyoung in his usual black cap and a hoodie over it. He gave her a slight wave then placed a finger on his lips. Nayeon mirrored his actions then turned back to Jeongyeon.

“He wanted to come.” She shrugged. “Said it’s like missing a little sister’s graduation if he didn’t.”

“Such an idiot.”

“He’d always been one.” Jeongyeon agreed first but continued after. “But as long as he doesn’t get caught I guess.”

“You’re spoiling him too much, Jeongyeon.” That statement earned Bambam an elbow into his stomach.

“Anyway, do you have anything planned later on?” Jeongyeon asked, ignoring the groans from Bambam. “Taecyeon said your graduation deserves to have a celebration.”

“This is nothing—“

“I will tell your parents that you’re coming with us!” Bambam who had already stopped groaning casually threw an arm around Nayeon’s shoulder. “We never have a graduation party before.”

“You would be able to get one if you had not removed your name from the system.”

“What they are teaching are useless.”

“Excuse me? I happened to be a graduate from this stupid teaching.”

The loud bickers between the three of them caught Nayeon’s friends attention. 

“Nayeon, your boyfriend?” One of them asked after she noticed Bambam’s arm that’s still around Nayeon’s shoulder.

“Huh?” Nayeon blinked, a little surprised at the sudden question but she ended up laughing instead.

“We look cute together, right?” Bambam cheekily replied but before he could continue, both Nayeon and Jeongyeon elbowed him at the same time. 

“What happened to the other guy? He stopped appearing, did you guys break up?”

Jeongyeon let out a fake cough, feeling awkward suddenly. However, for the others who knew nothing about them, did not notice how the playful and bright expressions on Bambam and Nayeon’s face disappeared.

“We…” Nayeon hesitated for a brief second then rolled her eyes like how she would before. “I told you, we weren’t dating!”

Bambam gave Nayeon’s right shoulder a gentle squeeze as he shared a glance with Jeongyeon. She in return, gave him a small encouraging smile as if it’s telling him that everything will be okay.

Six months after Mark’s leaving…

It wasn’t a surprise to Jinyoung when he was greeted by Jihyo in Jaebum’s private room. She wasn’t the spoilt princess they all knew when they first met her; in this short span of time, she was forced to grow up. With the help of some directors (whom Jeongyeon helped to do a background check), Jihyo managed save the company. It’s still not doing as well as before but at least, with Jihyo’s personal apologies to the customers, they had managed to gain back some trust from the customers, little by little.

However, despite her busy schedules, visiting Jaebum everyday was something she wouldn’t skip. Her assistant knew not to schedule any evening appointments as that timing was reserved for her visit to the hospital. 

“Hey.” Jihyo greeted with a smile when she saw Jinyoung stepping into the room.

“You’re here again.” Jinyoung stated as he sat down on the chair on the other side of the bed.

“Same goes for you.” Jihyo placed Jaebum’s arm down gently before she sat down too. “It’s been months, maybe it’s time to reappear in front of the media again? You’re still a hot topic somehow.”

“I don’t intend to.” Jinyoung replied nonchalantly.

“Stop being stubborn, you like being an idol.” Jihyo leaned back in her chair and folded her arms. “I’m pretty sure Jeongyeon would want that too.”

“Don’t use that on me.” Jinyoung rolled his eyes when he saw the playful smile tugging on Jihyo’s cheeks.

“Jaebum would want that too.” Jihyo’s smile softened as her eyes shifted to Jaebum’s unconscious body again. “He was panicking during that charity ball… right, Jaebum?”

A short moment of silence filled the air but before it got solemn, Jihyo turned to look at the idol with a wide smile.

“His silence means yes!”

“Ha ha, very funny.” Jinyoung snorted, wanting to continue but a slight movement from the corner of his eyes got his attention. He turned to look at Jaebum and stared.

“What is it?”

“He really might just had a reaction.” That came out as a soft whisper in a tone filled with doubt as he didn’t want to give Jihyo too much hope. But that was enough to get Jihyo’s full attention.

The two of them remained silent, keeping their eyes on Jaebum.

“That’s not funny, Park Jinyoung.” Jihyo tried to brush this off as a joke. However, the shaking in her voice gave her disappointment away.

“I wasn’t—“ Jinyoung denied, his eyes still on Jaebum and when he spotted a movement from Jaebum’s fingers, he widened his eyes and motioned a hand frantically at Jihyo. “Call the doctor!”

Jihyo continued staring instead and when she saw Jaebum’s fingers moved again, tears started welling in her eyes.

“Jihyo, call the doctor!”

“Huh- Right right!” Jihyo got out from her daze and wipe a tear that fell away as she pressed the button by Jaebum’s bedside many times.

Twelve months after Mark’s leaving…

“Do we still not have any clues on where Mark and Jisung are right now?”

“Seriously boss, stop asking about serious things everytime we visit.” Jeongyeon replied as she put the bags of groceries onto the kitchen counter. 

“It’s in his blood, he won’t be Jaebum if he doesn’t ask anything.”

A tissue box flew towards Bambam’s direction which he ducked in time, successfully avoiding it. 

It’s been about half a year since Jaebum had woken up but because of how seriously injured he was, he still had to go through physiotherapy sessions. The doctor had instructed him to take a break (the team had forced him to) so he’s been staying in his apartment most of the time. Jihyo would still come over every evening like she’d been during his hospitalised days and to make sure he don’t get too bored, Jinyoung, Jeongyeon and Bambam visited him almost everyday too. Sometimes, Nayeon or Taecyeon and Sunmi would join them. 

“I’ve been wanting to ask but not in front of Nayeon.”

Jaebum sat down on the couch with Jinyoung's help. The other three followed too.

“Well...” Jeongyeon started then sighed as she closed her eyes for a short moment. “We’ve been trying but Mark was trained by Taecyeon and Sunmi way earlier than any of us. Hiding from us is easy.”

“Taecyeon and Sunmi tried to trace the microchip in Jisung but the conclusion they came up with was that Mark had managed to disable it.” Bambam continued to explain.

“So, in simpler words, no clues yet.” Jinyoung opened a can of beer that Jeongyeon had placed on the coffee table earlier. “Sunmi’s starting to feel guilty for letting him go.”

“And Nayeon?” Jaebum asked again.

“She’s acting like Mark never existed in her life.” Jeongyeon answered Jaebum’s question, slapping his hand that was reaching for a can of beer away. “She had always been one who gives her all when it comes to people she cares about.”

“I think she’s waiting for him.” Jinyoung added on then looked at Bambam. “Aren’t you too, Bambam?”

“My situation is different from hers.”

The other three nodded in agreement and fell into silence together. But Jaebum broke it not long after. 

“How’s the company doing?”

“Jaebum!”

Twenty months since Mark’s leaving...

Nayeon had been working in the IM Corps since her graduation. It wasn’t in her initial plan since she didn’t want to just get a job through relationships but Jeongyeon managed to convince her along with a lot of pleading.

“You’re the only one I can fully trust! Besides, after what you’ve went through with us, your skills are a lot better than those in the company so technically, it’s not through backdoors!”

Nayeon gave in since she understood what Jeongyeon meant. Jaebum would definitely not want the company to fall into the wrong hands again.

Most of the times, when there had been any gatherings, Jeongyeon and her would meet somewhere further from the company and let Udon pick them up. However, despite them having a mini gathering at Jaebum’s tonight, Nayeon had to skip it this time.

A reunion dinner of her college class had been planned a month ago which was why at that moment, Nayeon felt herself got pulled into the restaurant before she was even given a proper greeting.

“Nayeon’s here!”

“You’re late, Nayeon!”

“We almost thought you weren’t coming!”

The greetings were loud and for a short moment, Nayeon felt that she’s back in college, the first and a half year of college before—

The loud chatters from the group brought Nayeon back from her thoughts. There were lots of reminiscing and catching up to do, some’s getting married soon, some brought their dating partners, some got promoted, some finally got a job but whichever it was, at that moment, everyone was just basking in the excitement of this reunion.

“So Nayeon, met anyone special yet?”

“Huh?”

“We just thought there would be lots of eligible guys since you’re working at a big company.”

“I—“ For a moment, the usually talkative Nayeon didn’t know how to react but she smiled and shrugged. “Things are too busy for me to even think of that.”

“Eh? What about that cute guy from graduation day?”

“Not my boyfriend.” Nayeon rolled her eyes, knowing that Bambam was the one mentioned.

“What about the one during our second and last year?”

That question caught Nayeon off guard. It’s been a while since Mark was being brought up. Jeongyeon and the others knew not to mention or talk about him in front of her, even the straightforward Jaebum knew how to hold back. Although she also knew that all of them had no idea where he was either despite them constantly looking for him.

“Not my boyfriend too.”

“Then why is he here?” Her friend gave her a teasing smile then looked at the entrance. Nayeon followed her gaze and managed to see two hands pushed the man her friend was talking about further into the restaurant. 

Their eyes met.

The chattering around her started getting softer, she could no longer hear the teasing from her friend either. Mark was indeed standing there. Even though it’s been almost two years but nothing changed about him. He still looked the same, despite the bruises on his face, he still had that ‘I don’t care about the world’ expression on his face but there was also something different about him.

However, before she could even try to figure it out, something in her snapped suddenly. 

The loud noises were back but she still couldn’t hear what her friends or classmates were saying. All she knew was that she had to punch the hell out of the man.

Which was what Nayeon did.

She slammed her chopsticks on the table, startling the ones sitting around her. Mark was obviously surprised when she marched towards him.

“Wait Nayeon—“ 

The punch Nayeon gave him into his stomach shut him up.

“Your punch got stronger.”

“You !” Nayeon half shouted, raising her hand again but she felt herself getting pulled back by a pair of arms.

“We had already punched the hell out of him for you.” Bambam informed with an amused smile on his face.

But that smile pissed Nayeon off even more which caused her to struggle harder. Her ears managed to catch the sound of a muffled laughter and when she turned to where the source was, she saw Jinyoung who had his usual cap on his head.

“Park Jinyoung, just because you recently made a come—“ 

Jeongyeon rushed forward and covered Nayeon’s mouth before she revealed his presence. Fortunately for all of them, no one heard her clearly. With the help of Bambam, the two of them managed to pull her slightly further away from Mark.

“We are in public.” Mark’s short statement brought Nayeon back to her sense. 

Her body relaxed as she looked around. Strangers had their eyes on their group and her classmates all seemed surprised at what just happened. She pushed Bambam away and tidied her shirt then turned to walk back to the table. However instead of sitting back down, she grabbed her handbag and muttered a quiet apology as she headed back to where the others were. After giving Mark a glare, she marched out of the restaurant.

Mark and Jeongyeon followed after her. Bambam did too but stopped in his tracks; he then turned around to face Nayeon’s classmates, giving them a slight bow.

“Sorry about that, Nayeon will pay for the dinner.” He gave them all a mischievous grin and took out a card at the cashier. 

Nayeon’s classmates were all watching him while he made the payment and when the waitress passed him the receipt, the guy who Nayeon punched, smacked him on his head and dragged him out.

Silence filled the long table for a short moment before one of the guys broke it.

“That was… interesting.”

The rest of them nodded in agreement.



Udon was waiting for them by the van when the five of them reached the carpark. They had long gotten rid of the truck since there was no need for it anymore but everyone agreed that the van could still be useful.

Like now.

Mark and Bambam walked behind everyone, watching Nayeon’s back as Jeongyeon and Jinyoung tried to coax her to calm down.

Which didn’t seemed to be working at all as she continued to stride towards the van.

“You know, you deserve more than that punch.”

“I know.”

Nayeon only slowed down when she finally saw another figure standing near the van. The strong aura around her softened as her steps got slower too.

“Hey Nayeon! It’s been a while!”

“Jisung…” Nayeon uttered the name out softly. It’s definitely that boy from two years ago but something’s different. The way he’s speaking and acting, he’s no longer a little boy inside.

“You’ve grown.” Nayeon spoke in a gentle tone, an opposite from how she was acting like earlier.

“You think so?” Jisung’s smile widened. “I’ve missed you all these time and…” He leaned forward and whispered by her ear. “I think my brother did too.”

The laughter Jinyoung was holding back came out as a snort after Jisung’s words. Nayeon felt her face heat up when she noticed the thumb up Jinyoung gave the younger boy which the latter returned. She knew they’re teasing her and so by reflex, she stepped on Jinyoung’s foot and got into the van.

She had expected the rest of them to followed but instead, only Mark and Udon(who’s driving) got on it. Jisung followed the others to another car nearby and Nayeon recognised it as Jaebum’s.

“Traitors.” She mouthed as the four of them waved while the van drove past them.

It was complete silence after that. Nayeon was staring out the window, refusing to look at Mark. The latter was sitting at the opposite side and stayed quiet too, despite him looking at her. Udon just continued to drive and still, neither one of them wanted to speak first.  

The van screeched and stopped suddenly. Leaving no chance for both of them to react, Udon hopped out from the driver seat, opened the back door and dragged the two humans out.

“Even as an android, this silence is plain weird. Talk then go home by yourself.”

Nayeon blinked once, twice and when the situation finally became clear to her, she shrieked.

“I guess, we will have to walk.” It was Mark who spoke up first. “I believe Bambam programmed him to do that.”

“What?”

“For him to leave us somewhere if we didn’t talk after a certain period of time.”

“That damn kid.” Nayeon grumbled. “I will kill him later.”

“Well at least, he left us here.” Mark added. His words got Nayeon’s attention and she finally took a good look at their surroundings.

The park.

The two of the walked side by side but not without a small distance between them. It was still silent between them until Mark uncharacteristically broke it.

“I’m sorry.”

That came out soft but loud enough for Nayeon to hear. She stopped walking and looked at him, waiting for him to continue.

“I’m sorry for leaving just like that but—“

“But it was necessary for Jisung, right?” Nayeon finished his sentence. “It did help him I guess, BUT!” That last word came out as a loud exclaim. She took in a deep breath and stepped nearer to him. 

“You could at least let us know you’re safe!” She prodded him in his chest with every word of hers.

Mark stared at her but she wasn’t done yet.

“Also!” She stepped forward which he took a step backwards. “You could have explained too! Do you know Bambam was upset for weeks!”

“Yeah…”

“I’m not done!”

Mark shut his mouth again.

“How could you tell me not to wait then in that same letter, tell me that day was one of the happiest days of your life! You selfish—“ One jab. “Coward!”

And a kick in his shin.

“Who trained you?” Mark groaned and bent his body slightly to rub the area where Nayeon just kicked. “This and that punch were both stronger now.”

“Jinyoung.” Nayeon responded without thinking. “But that’s not important!”

“I will train you personally now.” 

“What?” That statement caught Nayeon off guard. How did the conversation lead to this?

“You don’t need any other man now that I’m back.”

“Again, what?”

“You’re really good at playing hard to get, aren’t you?”

That sounded oddly familiar to Nayeon. She stared at Mark and noticed the growing smile on his face. She had seen him smiled before but that current one, it was a playful smile.

“This is our long overdue talk and I’m only going to say it once. Jinyoung will be Jeongyeon’s fully and I will be yours.”

Nayeon stared at him even longer while Mark waited for her answer. However, her response was something he wasn’t expecting at all. 

She reached out and pinched him hard on his cheeks.

“Who are you? Are you an imposter wearing a mask?” She mumbled to herself, squishing his cheeks and pulled them hard. Mark winced and pushed her hands away.

“You watched too many dramas. I am Mark but two years can make a lot of differences.”

Nayeon smiled and giggled for the first time that night. But it wasn’t for long. 

“Wait a minute.” The smile on her face was replaced with a scowl as she narrowed her eyes at Mark. “Have you been meeting girls? That was way too smooth.”

“I did not!”

“Are you really Mark?”

“Goddamn it woman!”

“It’s just hard to—“

The rest of Nayeon’s words disappeared against his lips but he pulled back just as sudden as he kissed her.

“Just shut up, it’s still me.” He whispered, his hands still resting on Nayeon’s cheeks.

She stared into his eyes, her brain still trying to process what just happened.

“You definitely met girls.”

Mark groaned in defeat and Nayeon grinned. 

“Forget about those girls or any future ones. Like you said, you’re mine.”

This time it was Mark who was surprised but when his eyes met with Nayeon’s again, he smiled. Nayeon’s grin grew wider, pulling him down closer to her by his shirt but when their faces were only a few centimetres apart, she stopped. The sudden courage in her dissipated as nervousness crept inside her instead.

Mark who had his eyes fixated on her, saw her biting on her bottom lip and felt her grip on his shirt tightened. Understanding what all that meant, he pulled her closer and kissed her.

She kissed him back.


` some little things to mention in this chapter. mark saying nayeon liked playing hard to get was the exact same words nayeon said to him in chapter 28. jinyoung did make a comeback as an idol and that's after jaebum woke up. jinyoung and jeongyeon are dating as hinted by mark at the end. 

and so, this is the final official chapter of this story! i thought i wouldn't be able to finish it because i disappeared and lost touch but i did it and i'm glad some of you are still with me, thank you for staying and i hoped you've enjoyed the overdue finale arc of this story. there would be an epilogue but the main story itself is completed. do leave a vote and a comment if you enjoyed this ride. i would love to read them all.

also, i have a new story idea in mind but it's only an idea and no flesh or skeleton to it yet. and a one shot, this will be written soon. once again, thank you!