10.

Inhumane

The tension in the small space of the truck was impalpable. Everyone dropped their stuff when Bambam contacted them about finding new clues on the whereabouts of Jeongyeon’s family.

The silence that’s filling the air made Nayeon nervous. She had already knew that Jaebum and Jinyoung weren’t able to get along that well but this was the first time she had witnessed such a heated argument between them. Nayeon glanced around secretly and noticed that Bambam looked as nervous as she was.

Was this actually the first time they were fighting this badly?

No one made any sound. Mark was focused on the computer screen although Nayeon could tell that he was actually listening to the whole situation. Jeongyeon wasn’t making any suggestion at all. Bambam managed to catch Nayeon’s attention and the latter could tell that he was hinting her to do something.

It took a few seconds of eye contact communication before Nayeon took in a deep breath. However, before she could even attempt to ease the tension, Jinyoung spoke up.

“So you’re not going to do anything?” His voice was calm but everyone could hear the anger in it. “You’re asking us to sit here and do nothing?”

“Yes” That was Jaebum’s reply, his tone eerily calm.

“It’s been days!” Jinyoung bellowed, unable to keep his cool anymore. “If we wait any longer, they might be in bigger danger!”

“Like I’ve mentioned, we are still unsure if it’s the right place!” Not being able to hide his annoyance, Jaebum raised his voice too. “Or it could be a trap! It almost feels like they were blatantly telling us the location! I know you’re a narcissistic but you’re never this reckless!”

“Well,” Jinyoung inhaled deeply as he threw a glare at Jaebum. “If you’re not going to help, I will go alone.”

He stayed firm on his stand as he grabbed his black cap, ignoring Bambam’s attempt to stop him from leaving the truck. However, Jaebum was fast enough to hold him back as he gripped tightly onto the other man’s shirt.

“I don’t want to hear all that crap.” Jaebum asserted, his grip onto Jinyoung’s shirt tightening. “I’m definitely not letting any of you get into danger.”

He pushed Jinyoung back harshly after his words.

“You coward.” Jinyoung hissed.

“Let’s listen to boss.” Jeongyeon who had been quiet all these while finally spoke up.

“Jeongyeon, what?” Jinyoung turned around swiftly to look at the girl, a look of disbelief obvious on his face.

“I said, let’s listen to boss.” Jeongyeon insisted as everyone focused their attention on her. Even Mark turned his chair around to face her. “I don’t want any of you to get hurt because of me and my issues.”

“Isn’t getting hurt part of this whole thing we are in?” Jinyoung scoffed quietly.

“Then let’s stop doing stupid things and prevent ourselves to get hurt even more.” Jeongyeon looked up and spoke in a rare cold voice. “Ever since Mark and Nayeon got hurt a few months ago, we’ve been under a low profile. I can’t let anyone get hurt because of me.”

“You know,” Bambam quietly spoke up, asking for attention from the others. “Remember how Taecyeon’s guess was that they were trying to find out who we are? What if this was an attempt too?”

“So, we are just going to leave her family be because we need to hide our identity?” Jinyoung retorted and rolled his eyes. “What are we? A bunch of selfish cowards?”

“We just want to protect each other, Jinyoung.” Jeongyeon answered, her voice getting softer. “So, please.”

Jinyoung looked around at the rest of the team then put on his cap, leaving the truck without saying a word.

Bambam and Nayeon shared another glance as they both sighed. Mark turned to face the computer screen again, hoping to find more information. Jaebum and Jeongyeon stayed silent instead.

Why did Taecyeon have to leave the country when they’re in a tough situation like that?

--

Surprisingly, Jinyoung stopped bringing the topic up for the next two days while Mark and Bambam tried to hack deeper into the security system of the abandoned warehouse that Jeongyeon’s mother and sister were spotted.

However, even until now, Mark still found it weird that the CCTVs around the abandoned warehouse were working. They had hacked into all the security companies, even the ones that were under the government but it was only until now that they found the footage from that area. 

It was almost like they were fed with the footages for the past two days.

“It’s weird...” Bambam muttered while he continued to stare at his screen. “We are able to get every information we need the past two days when there was nothing before that. Is it right for us to stay put like this?”

Mark looked up from his own laptop and turned to face Bambam who already had both Nayeon’s and Jeongyeon’s attention too.

“They are doing this on purpose.” Jeongyeon answered in a quiet tone.

“You think so too?” Mark asked in a low voice.

“I thought boss was being careful at first but I can’t risk any of you just because of me.” Jeongyeon continued, her voice as calm and quiet as before. “But now, it’s obvious. At least I know that they’re safe.”

With those words, she turned to look at the CCTV footage on their computer screen. Indeed, her mother and sister looked scared but it didn’t seem like they were hurt or anything.

“Those guards, they’re androids too?” Nayeon brought up as she stared at the computer screen. “They all looked stiff. If so, why can’t we just hack into them, like how they did with Udon.”

“Jaebum and I discussed about this before.” Mark crossed his arms before he continued. “That would require us to get close to them and we can’t just do that with this big truck of ours.”

“What about a small car?” Nayeon questioned again.

“It’s too dangerous.” Jeongyeon cut her off. “If they are androids, it’s worse.”

“But how long are we going to just sit here and wait.” Nayeon sighed and leant back against her seat.

“Until boss comes back with the equipments we need.”

“Equipments?” Nayeon looked at the others curiously and she had a feeling, she wouldn’t like what’s going to happen after. Especially when all three of their expressions looked really grim.

“We are really going to do that?” Bambam muttered after a few minutes of silence. “The last time we did this was a few years back when Jaebum almost got himself into danger.”

“He did?”

“After he found out that his father’s sudden sickly condition was because of his uncle, he did.” Jeongyeon answered again. “He wasn’t going to join this team however, Taecyeon, Mark and Bambam saved him.”

“So, what are the equipments we need?” Nayeon brought up again, the bad feeling in her growing stronger.

“It’s best to not know.” Bambam managed to force a smile towards Nayeon’s direction as both Mark and Jeongyeon looked away. “And I hope you never will.”

That left Nayeon confused and for some reason, a little scared.

-

The peace within the team didn't last long. After another two more days, Jinyoung still had not once shown up in the truck even though Bambam kept sharing more information with the others which, confirmed their guesses about the enemy side feeding them information.

“Jeongyeon, are you still not going to let us do anything?” Bambam questioned, turning around on his chair to look at her. “It's been quite some time.”

“At least I know they're safe.”

“They might get impatient and would hurt them to force you or us to appear in front of them.” Mark spoke up in his usual quiet tone. “We have to do something soon. Everyone’s just waiting for you to agree to it. Even Jaebum.”

“Not everyone.” Jaebum closed the door behind him after he stepped into Jeongyeon’s empty apartment. “And Mark, that was one of the longest things I’ve heard you said.”

“Shut up.” Mark rolled his eyes and threw a glare at the snickering Bambam and Nayeon. Even Jeongyeon had an amused smile playing on her lips. It’s rare that Jaebum would joke around like this.

“Is Jinyoung here?” That question was Jaebum’s next few words and when the only reaction he got was a shrug from everyone, his face darkened. “I told you, it’s not everyone.”

“What do you mean, boss?” Jeongyeon looked up at the male; the small smile from earlier completely gone from her face.

“I haven’t been able to contact him and I know he hadn’t been here too. Knowing him, he wouldn't have just let it go after our fight that day. He would have insisted in doing his way.”

“Jaebum, what are you trying to say?” Mark interrupted the man.

“I'm trying to say, Jinyoung’s missing and so is one of the guns—”

“Guns?” Nayeon stood up immediately, so did everyone else. “What guns?”

“Did you check properly?” Bambam stepped forward from his chair a little. “How was he able to do it?”

“That’s what I’m going to ask next,” Jaebum crossed his arms with an annoyed look. “Which one of you taught him how to hack into my phone.”

“What—“

“The supplier said that I was the one who gave Jinyoung permission to get the gun from him. It was through a text message.”

“This is madness…” Jeongyeon sat back down on her seat again, half muttering to herself. “This is complete madness. That idiot has gone crazy.”

Nayeon looked around and realised that no one bothered to answer her previous question and no one seemed as lost and confused as herself.

“The equipment you guys mentioned the other day…” She quietly brought up again, hoping to get some attention on her which she succeeded. “You’re talking about guns? Like real guns that goes bang bang?”

“Nayeon…” Bambam tried to explain but what came out after was an exasperated sigh.

“Nayeon,” Mark repeated her name after seeing her scared expression. However, it was a lot more firm than Bambam’s. “You stay out of this. I will send you home.”

“What?” Nayeon blinked and turned to face the man.

“Mark’s right.” This time, Jaebum was the one who spoke up after he took a glance at the quiet Jeongyeon who was trying her best to keep her breathing calm. “You stay out of this and Bambam, you track Jinyoung’s phone.”

“What?” Nayeon asked again, a look of confusion spread across her face. “If this was a few months ago, I would be so happy. But you guys made me a part of this and I deserve to know what’s going to happen!”

“Listen—“ Jaebum tried to start but was cut off by the girl herself.

“Beside, do you think Jeongyeon is stable enough to work on tracing Jinyoung?” Nayeon pointed at the other girl who finally looked up towards their direction.

“I can.”

“Shut up. Jeongyeon.” Nayeon retorted which surprised the other three men in the room whom Nayeon shifted her attention back to. “Her hands are shaking; she might seemed like she’s calm but that girl, she’s about to cry. None of you know a thing about a girl, right? But I am tell and I’m not letting her handle all these stress alone.”

“Nayeon.” Mark called her name in a firm tone which he probably was trying to send a ‘I’m being serious now’ kind of message.

“You shut up too.” Nayeon threw Mark a glare. “I’m not scared of you nor Jaebum anymore.”

There was a slight pause as Nayeon gulped a little after she saw the two male’s darkened face.

“Alright, maybe I still do a little.” She mumbled then put on her straight face again. “But that’s not the point. My point is, I’m part of this now. I’ve been helping to trace Jeongyeon’s family down too. And suddenly you tell me to step away because it’s dangerous?”

“So you know it’s dangerous.” Jaebum crossed his arms but shut up immediately after Nayon threw him a glare. Bambam who was watching by the side had to make sure that he wasn’t seeing things wrong.

“Guns are dangerous and I’m not saying I’m not scared. Heck, I’ve never seen a real gun and you’re telling me that you’ve gotten hands on them? But I can still help, with the computer stuff. I can’t fight, you know that.”

Nayeon inhaled deeply after her long speech and all that filled the room was complete silence. No one said anything until Bambam hesitantly raised his hand.

“Uh I don’t know if she’s going to come or not but,” Bambam took a quick glance at his laptop screen then back to the others who now had their attention on him. “Jinyoung’s almost at the warehouse.”

“.” Jaebum messed up his hair up in a frustrated way. “Don’t drive the truck. Everyone get into my car and Bambam, wake Udon up. Nayeon, you’re coming.”

Mark sighed and headed out of the room with his macbook in hand.

“Come on, Nayeon.” Bambam gave her an encouraging smile before he followed after Mark and Jaebum.

“Nayeon…” Jeongyeon held onto her hand which caused her to turn around. “You don’t have to, really.”

“I don’t have to but,” Nayeon gave Jeongyeon’s hand a few pats. “I want to. Let’s go save your family.”

This time, Jeongyeon didn’t argue back and let Nayeon hold onto her hand as they walk to where Jaebum’s car is.

“So what’s the plan?” Bambam asked as he opened up his macbook. “Udon’s on the way and so is Jinyoung— oh wait, he’s already there.”

“Well, .” Jaebum stepped on the accelerator. “Mark, let Nayeon handle everything else. I need you out there. Jeongyeon, you calm down and do nothing. Bambam, try to get the footage of what’s going on in there. Nayeon, communicate with Udon and see how many traces of androids are there.”

“Yes boss.” Both Nayeon and Bambam replied which made Jeongyeon laughed a little because it’s obvious they’re both trying to imitate her.

“Jeongyeon,” Jaebum called for her attention and gave her a quick glance from the rear mirror. 

“All of them will come back safely. Including that idiot.”

Jeongyeon smiled and said nothing; she didn’t have to, Jaebum and everyone else could hear her ‘thanks’ in her smile.
--

hopefully, this was satisfying enough for the long wait. i'm definitely not giving up on this so just be patient with me for a while even tho the updates are not as consistent as before now! this is what i called the "jeongyeon arc" so the attention is on her. at the beginning i call it the 'nayeon arc' and there will be more.

have a good week ahead!!

follow me on: http://instagram.com/ddeokbxkki