31.

Inhumane

“This is scarily quiet.” Bambam muttered, looking out of the window while Taecyeon parked the van.

Nayeon nodded along, agreeing with his words and even though none of the others respond, the tension on their faces were enough to tell that they’re thinking the same.

Other than the cars parked in the basement, there weren’t anyone else. With all the shoppers being held hostage, that’s bound to be expected. What makes this whole situation tense was the fact that there weren’t any androids either; they had expected a hoard of them to be waiting but what greeted them was just an empty basement and complete silence.

“So what’s the plan?” Jinyoung asked once the car is parked. “Do we all go at once?”

“Sorry Jinyoung,” Taecyeon unbuckled the seat belt and turned his body slightly, just enough to be able to look at him. “We will have to leave it to you first.”

“Excuse me?”

“We need all androids out of the store first and that’s—“

“Just five of them.” Mark answered Taecyeon’s silent question.

“I can do that I guess—“

“And twenty others outside.” Mark continued which killed all the words that Jinyoung had in his mouth. He looked at Jinyoung then at Taecyeon and asked. “So, do I help?”

“No, I will do it.” Jinyoung answered with a determined look. “You guys do what you need to do. Ah I really should have written a will.”

Everyone smiled a little at Jinyoung’s attempt to ease the tension but that was just for a while.

“We won’t let you down, Jinyoung.” Sunmi said then looked at everyone else. “Shall we go?”

Bambam closed his MacBook and after putting it aside, he got out of the van which he was followed by Jeongyeon and Nayeon. Mark opened the other side and got out too, Jinyoung behind him. With their actions as the reply to Sunmi’s question, both Taecyeon and her got out too.

This is definitely a do or die situation.



“What’s the situation out there now? Are the people okay?” Nayeon whispered. They were all huddled by the exit of the emergency staircase but only Jinyoung could get a full view of what’s happening.

“Yeah, it’s the same.” Jinyoung replied quietly and kept his gaze on the situation outside. “Also, if you don’t want to be recognised, put on those caps and masks I gave you. I’m going now.”

With those words, he pushed open the door and walked out quietly, not wanting to expose the others. But as he walked out to a more exposed area, he could see the androids giving him all their attention.

“Can I back out now?” Jinyoung whispered, knowing that everyone else could hear him from their bluetooth communication system. 

“We won’t take long.” Taecyeon assured but it was Bambam’s words that got Jinyoung fired up.

“Do it and Jeongyeon will kiss you after all these.”

“Wha—“

“Deal!” Jinyoung said before Jeongyeon could object, then looked in front to face the androids again. He knew that the people around them had recognised him too but they had more serious issue to handle. Taking in a deep breath, he yelled. “Hey s! The Park Jinyoung your boss wants is here, come get me!”

“That sure helped a lot.” Nayeon snorted in amusement after Jinyoung announced his presence.

“I did not agree to it tho.” Jeongyeon muttered and put on the cap, pulling it lower to hide her growing blush. 

“Jeongyeon, if this all turns out well, you really should.” Sunmi teased, shifting her gaze from the outside to her. “He’s working real hard.”

“I hope you guys are ready.” Taecyeon said. “Because he’s—“ He paused when he turned and saw the rest of them all had their caps on. “I guess you are.”

“Any specific instructions?” Mark finally spoke up.

“You sure know us well.” Taecyeon smiled for a few seconds before that was replaced by a serious look. “Jeongyeon and Nayeon, help Jinyoung, especially when he’s in close contact with any android. Mark and Bambam, you guys go straight for the main system and shut it all down. It won’t be easy, there are definitely some of them out there whose main job is to stop us from getting into the system but we have to do it.”

The four of them nodded firmly and with that as a ‘ready to go’ sign, Taecyeon opened the door. The six of them ran straight into the store and because the androids (and the humans around) only caught Jinyoung’s face, no one noticed them.

Each of them went to a computer or laptop and almost at the same time, they plugged in a USB each.

And so, the war started.

Like Taecyeon had mentioned, it wasn’t easy getting into the system. They kept being thrown out but Bambam sent a virus to the IP address that was trying to block them which gave them an opening to get into it.

“Nice work, Bam.” Mark muttered beside him, his eyes stayed fixated on the screen. “Keep doing that, I will handle the main system.”

As for Jeongyeon and Nayeon, Sunmi had a program written just to detect the androids, the one she’s been using during Jinyoung’s press conference. More androids were coming after Jinyoung, who’s dripping sweats, and upon seeing the situation, the girls typed even faster. Up until then, they had managed to shut the android that’s going to hurt Jinyoung every single time. 

But the androids slowly noticed the presence of the other six and what they were trying to do. Some of them shifted their attention into the store as they started to move towards it. But Jinyoung would take no from them.

“Get the out of the way!” He bellowed, pulling one of the androids that were stepping into the store, out by its arm.

“Guys, this is getting out of hand!” He shouted into the store, trying his best to keep the androids out of the store and because of that, he got distracted which earned him a kick from the android nearest to him.

“.” He cursed, falling to one of his knees as he watched the small group entering into the store and the rest heading towards him.

“Junior!” A young boy shouted and threw him a baseball bat. Judging from how the price tag was still there, Jinyoung figured that it was a new one. He looked up and saw the boy. “Fighting!”

Right, there were people watching but who cares?

Jinyoung gave the boy a thumbs up as a response then stood up, running towards that few androids and hitting them in the back of their heads one by one. Because of his experience, those hits were enough to break the system.

He panted and turned away, once he’s sure that the others inside were safe. His attention was now on the androids that kept coming towards him.

Just a while more, he kept chanting to himself. Believe in the others.

The fight continued for a while more but eventually, he heard the words that sent a wave of relief throughout his whole body.

“Jinyoung, it’s done!” Mark shouted out and with one more hit on the keyboard, the androids around stopped in their movement.

Jinyoung looked around, watching every android which were all on this level getting shut down one by one. When he’s sure that all of them are down, he collapsed onto the floor. Panting heavily as he laid down there with his limbs spread out wide. 

“You’re an idol, Jinyoung.” Nayeon’s amused voice could be heard from the earbud in his ears.

“Who cares? I’m retired.” Jinyoung answered. “Also, I’m getting that kiss no matter what, Jeongyeon.”

Bambam and Nayeon laughed while Jeongyeon’s face heat up and if one looked closely, Mark had a small amused smile on his face too. But all of them remembered that there was a more dangerous issue, they all turned to where Taecyeon and Sunmi were.

Forcing himself to stand up, Jinyoung joined the other four who were huddling around Bambam. The countdown was showing on his screen as the five of them watched.

Less than a minute to go.

Nayeon bit on her finger; Mark and Bambam had their fist clenched; Jeongyeon was holding onto the edge of the table tightly. All of them had their eyes fixated on the screen. Whereas for Jinyoung, he looked at the crowd outside the store and caught eyes with that young boy again. 

These people are innocent.

He too then turned his attention onto the screen.

Come on, come on.

His voice chanted repeatedly in his head. 

Twelve seconds more.

The silence among themselves was deafening.

Eight..

Seven..

Come on.

Five..

Four..

Four..

Four..

The countdown stopped at four and the five of them turned behind, seeing Taecyeon and Sunmi sliding down onto the floor, both letting a sigh of relief.

Upon seeing that, they all let out a breath they didn’t know they were holding back as their body finally relaxed.

After a short while, Taecyeon spoke up.

“Open the mall shutters, let the cops handle this. We are leaving once they are in.”

Jeongyeon nodded and did as they were instructed. Within less than a minute, the cops came in and escorted the crowd out. The group used that chance and sneaked out from the emergency staircase they had used to enter earlier.

No one said anything as they took off the caps they had on earlier, blending right into the crowd. Once they got into the van, everyone had their back against their seat, all tired from the earlier adrenaline rush.

But a phone call took all their tiredness away.

A SOS call from Udon.

“Im Jongmin… he’s here.” 

Mark’s eyes widened as he sat up and so did the others.

Jisung, Jaebum and Jihyo…

“Taecyeon!” He half shouted but Taecyeon had already stepped on the accelerator.

“Call the cops, Jeongyeon.” Jinyoung instructed, seeing that how her finger was hovering over a number. “It’s okay, I’m exposed enough. This is our last chance!”

Jeongyeon looked at him hesitantly but she tapped on the number eventually. Informing the detective in charge of the new information.



The small flower vase that Jihyo was holding onto crashed onto the floor when the gunshot echoed. Her eyes widened and then went straight to where Jaebum’s bed was.

She didn’t know the details but she knew that the others had gone out to deal with the situation at the IM Mall. Jeongyeon had assured her that with Udon around, it would be safe. But her instinct after that gunshot told her that they’re not as safe as the others had hoped.

And especially not Jaebum.

She knew that it’s not the smartest move but her legs had already started moving before her brain could process anything. She found herself running out and to the main entrance. When she was there, she saw some black attired mannequins around the area which she assumed Udon had been shutting them off. But what made her gasped was that hole on Udon’s side. His outer body was destroyed by what seemed to be a gunshot and his inner system was exposed.

Udon’s been and was still fighting all alone and she could do nothing to help.

Her eyes met with Im Jongmin’s before she could hide away. She noticed the gun in his hand and the smirk plastered on his face.

“Jihyo, your dad’s very worried about you.”

Udon turned his head around upon hearing Im Jongmin’s words.

“Why did you come out!” He shouted and because of his distraction, he did not notice the incoming attack of the nearest android.

“Udon!” Jihyo screamed when she saw the damage he got again. This time, it was his shoulder that was exposed.

“I’m fine, I don’t feel anything!” Udon assured her. “So please don’t worry about me and hide.”

“But—“

“Just go!”

However, Im Jongmin wouldn’t allow that to happen. He already had his gun pointing at Jihyo during that short conversation those two were having.

The shot was fired.

But Udon with his sensor was faster, he ran up to Jihyo and blocked the bullet with his body. Jihyo opened her eyes when she felt Udon’s hand dropped down from her body.

“Udon?” Jihyo whispered, staring at the motionless and damaged boy. “Udon, talk to me!”

A loud laughter interrupted her.

“Jihyo, you know he’s not alive.” Im Jongmin snarked, the smirk which she found sickening now still on his face.

Jihyo didn’t know where did the courage came from when she stepped away from Udon and glared at the older man. She was mad, really mad but she was scared too.

Despite the image she put up, she was praying for the others to come back soon. With Udon down, she really had no idea how to protect Jaebum and the innocent Jisung.



Jisung ran back towards his room. He had heard the gunshot and he had witnessed what just happened. He didn’t know where or when he had seen that older man but he recognised the fear that’s growing in him now.

And those men in black, he knew what they were.

As he continued running, his pace slowed down when he ran past the meeting room Mark’s always head to. He stopped in his tracks and looked into it. All the laptops sitting there felt like they were calling to him. Slowly, without knowing what he’s doing, Jisung stepped into the room and sat down on the couch, picking up the nearest laptop and opened it.



Udon’s totally out of the fight which means, the rest of Im Jongmin’s androids weren’t in anymore danger.

“I should get rid of you first.” Im Jongmin said as he stepped nearer with two of his android bodyguards by his side. “Then I will kill Jaebum so you two can have a romantic reunion in the afterlife.”

“You’re an evil .”

“Those fouls words should not be coming out from a fine lady like you, Jihyo.”

Im Jongmin stopped in front of her then looked at the lifeless Udon.

“Do you think I’m able to configure him to be on my side?” He asked, patting on Udon’s face lightly. “He’s a very fine product of those kids, don’t you think? Ah, I should bring that boy back too. They will make a very good duo.”

Jihyo clenched her fist as she could feel herself shaking but she also knew that she couldn’t show her fear in front of this month. Instead, she gritted her teeth before she managed to force out her next few words.

“They wouldn’t allow you.”

“They’re not here, are they?” Im Jongmin shrugged. “Ah that’s right, they’re at the mall—“

The loud screeching sound from the car tires cut the man off. Im Jongmin turned around quickly and saw a car speeding on the road and crashing into the androids that’s in its way.

Jihyo smiled in relief as tears formed in her eyes.

“Go get those boys!” Im Jongmin commanded urgently at the nearest androids around him.

The group of androids all nodded and went further into the resort. 

Mark rushed out from the van before it had even fully came to a stop when he saw where the androids were heading. Jinyoung followed right after him, grabbing Jihyo by her arms and pulled her along.



“How in the world are there still so many of them here!” Bambam shouted, opening the MacBook on his lap. I won’t be enough to do this!”

“And Udon is down.” Nayeon watched from the inside.

“The phone’s no use against this huge frequency either!” Jeongyeon looked up from hers and watched the back of Taecyeon, as if waiting for his instructions. 

“We have to get back in. No, I have to get back in.” Taecyeon turned around to look at the three remaining members. “None of you can fight. Bambam, assist me. As for you three girls, stay.”

“What?” Sunmi stared at him wide eyed.

“Im Jongmin will definitely want you and Jisung back. That’s why Mark was acting that way.” Taecyeon looked back at her.  “I can’t put you in danger again.”

Without giving the others a chance to protest, Taecyeon stepped out from the van and ran towards where Mark and Jinyoung went. However, after letting those two slipped, Im Jongmin’s definitely not going to let any of the others go. 

“ !” Bambam cursed as he typed furiously on the keyboard. “They’re all coming towards us.”

“He won’t be able to make it!” Nayeon shouted, watching the rest of the androids surrounding Taecyeon and the van.

In the mean time, Sunmi climbed over to the driver seat and locked the doors. She muttered a “sit tight” which no one really heard and started the engine. The next thing Bambam, Nayeon and Jeongyeon felt was them almost falling off their seat when the car swerved harshly. Sunmi stepped on the accelerator more, crashing right into the androids in front of them. 

She then stepped on the brake which caused them all to jerk back but she did not give the others any time to recover as she adjust the gear to reverse and stepped on the accelerator again. This time, destroying all the ones behind the car.

Now, it’s only left with the few Taecyeon’s fighting.

“Bambam, destroy the remaining ones!” Sunmi turned around and instructed. “Send all the viruses you know.”

“Roger!” He reacted but his fingers stopped when he focused back on the screen again. “Wait—“

“The androids ain’t moving anymore.” Jeongyeon whispered, catching the attention of Sunmi who looked out of the window too.

Indeed, the ones around Taecyeon had stopped moving and so were the ones beside Im Jongmin. The four of them stepped out from the van hesitantly and heard Im Jongmin yelling at the motionless androids.

“The code was the same one from the night of the charity ball.” Bambam revealed. “You don’t think…”

The sound of the police sirens stopped him from continuing.

“They sure took their own sweet time.” Nayeon snorted and rolled her eyes which brought smiles to the faces of the other three.



“Why did you come out!” Jinyoung shouted as he continued to pull Jihyo, forcing her to keep up to his pace. “Jaebum will kill us if anything happened to you!”

“I’m sorry! I just—” Jihyo shouted back but stopped when she turned around to watch out from the androids chasing after them. “They aren’t moving anymore.”

Those words made Jinyoung stopped running and turned around too.

Jihyo was right.

“Mark!” Jinyoung faced the front and called out but the man had already stopped. Instead of looking back at them, he was looking into their meeting room with an unreadable expression on his face.

Jinyoung walked towards it with Jihyo following him and when he looked into the room, he understood why Mark was making that expression.

Jisung was grinning at them with one of the MacBook opened on his lap.


Jeongyeon and Jinyoung were the ones who handled the cops when they’d finally arrived. The rest had sneaked away and from their hiding place, they watched Im Jongmin getting pushed into the car by two detectives. Bambam and Nayeon shared a high five, both grinning widely after the police car drove off. Taecyeon wrapped an arm around Sunmi’s shoulder.

“It’s been a long day.”

“It hasn’t ended yet, Nayeon.” Sunmi disagreed. “There’s still that issue of the androids shutting down at the same time.”

“Jisung, right?” Bambam asked and Sunmi nodded.

“Let’s go meet up with them first.”

There wasn’t any need to ask, all of them knew that Sunmi’s talking about the brothers.



` so this is another exciting chapter, i tried to write it in that way at least and i hope all of you enjoyed and felt the tension. and so the actions are finally over, we will be getting a closure of the love lines next chapter. mark and nayeon will get their closure definitely. i'm hoping to end this story in the next chapter or the next next chapter if i get carried away. but probably the next chapter and one short chapter. please look forward to it! also, your votes and comments are my biggest motivations so don't be scared to share your thoughts with me!

i will see you guys next chapter then!

cheers,
leen (ddeokbxkki on ig too)


p.s. i started a nayeon with yugbam siblings themed one shot series! do check it out if possible or if you're curious.