Honey Moon

Honey Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, what do you want to do today?”

“Well, if you really want to know, I’d personally like nothing better than to carry you back to–”

“Yeolliel!”

“That’s yeobo, to you!”  He stuck out his tongue playfully.  

“Yeobo…” you whined.  “We haven’t left the room in three days!  They’re going to send in the authorities soon.”

“As long as we keep eating deliciously, they’ll know that we’re still alive.”

You jumped on the couch beside him, taking his hand, and playfully swinging it back and forth.  “Yeoboooo!  I want to go out!  I want to show off my handsome husband!”

Chanyeol tilted his head, looking at you fondly.  “Ahhhh!  So cute!  I can’t stand it!”  He pretended to wrap his hands around your neck, but instead of squeezing, he just pulled you toward him, wrapping his arms around you, and pulling you over his lap, as he proceeded to give you playful kisses all over your face until you were a giggling mess.

“So!” he finally said, decisively patting you on the bottom, and setting you down beside him on the couch.  “What do you want to do?”

“Honestly?”

He slanted you a sly look.  

“No!  I mean, yes, but…not right now!”  You hit him playfully on the shoulder as he threw back his head and laughed.  

“Okay, yeobo, I’ll stop.  Maybe.  Probably not.  So, what do you want to do?”

“I want to go exploring.”

His eyes lit with excitement.  “Really?”

You nodded vigorously.  “I mean, we’re surrounded by all this lovely scenery, and I would love to see what the town has to offer, but for now…I just really want to see the countryside.  I kind of just want to explore…like we used to do when we were little.

You and Chanyeol had grown up together, and no one had been surprised when childhood friends turned into high school sweethearts.  You had weathered high school angst, college overwork, and the separation of the military, and though there had been fights along the way, you had never even thought about leaving each other’s sight.  You couldn’t imagine life without him by your side, and he felt the same.

There had only been one real rocky patch in your relationship, after he had returned from the military.  He had seemed as if he were constantly pushing you away, but when you confronted him about it, you were finally able to work it out, and come out on the other side stronger than ever.  Sometimes you still wondered what had caused the momentary rift.  He had never told you.

Chanyeol wasn’t like most men.  He was extremely vocal, and demonstrative in his love, uncaring of what anyone else thought.  All he cared about is that you knew that you were loved, protected, and cherished, and–secure in that knowledge–it was your pleasure to protect his heart for the rest of your life.

“We can make a fort!” he said excitedly.

You laughed.  “Maybe!”

He put his hands on your shoulders, pushing you up off of the couch, as he followed, leading you to the door.  “How about you ask ajumma to make us a picnic basket?”

“Sounds good,” you agreed.

He pulled you back briefly, to give you a peck before you left.  “Love you.”

“Love you, always.”

***

The inn ajumma was as delighted to pack a basket for you as she was with your schoolgirl French.  Reaching up a hand, she affectionately patted you on the cheek.  “Ah, I will never get tired of seeing newlyweds.  You’re always so bright-eyed, and red-cheeked!  You know,” she began conspiratorially, “I think that constantly being surrounded by all of this young love helps keep the fire alive between my Phillippe and me!”

You blushed, and she winked.  “Ahhh, newlyweds!  So cute!”

***

“Wow!  This thing is heavy!”

“We can take turns carrying it.”

“Absolutely not!”

You rolled your eyes.  “I’m perfectly capable of carrying heavy objects, you know!”

“Don’t care.”

“You’re such a caveman!”

“Yeah, but I’m your caveman!”

You tried to hide your smile.  Sure, you put up a front, but you secretly loved it when Chanyeol took care of you.  

He knew it, of course, which is why he did it.  That, and it made him feel all manly.  

“Where do you want to go first?” you asked.

“Mmm, do you want to explore first, or eat first?”

Your stomach growled.  

He guffawed, clapping his hands.  

“Yah, it’s not my fault that you’re constantly making me burn so many calories!”

He blushed.  “Let’s find a nice place to eat.”

“Ajumma did mention that her brother had a late season lavender field somewhere around here that we could use. That sounds nice.”

“Shall we?”

You nodded, turning in the direction that she had described.  You both wandered for a while in comfortable silence, the early autumn sun warmly caressing your backs.

He broke the silence, inhaling deeply.  “Ahhh, this weather is so nice!  This Provence air is really on another level, don’t you think?  It’s so refreshing!”

You nodded.  “This is a beautiful place.  Thank you again.”

He shook his head.  “Let’s see, fresh air, delicious food, isolated room, grateful wife extra excited because she’s on her dream vacation, yeah, it was such a hardship to come here!”

Snorting, you leaned over, and bit him on the shoulder.

“Watch out, yeobo, or I’ll make you burn even more calories before we make it to lunch!” he grinned teasingly, bumping you gently with his hip.

“Oh!  Look!  Over there!” you pointed.  You could just make out the edge of the lavender field in the distance.  Turning, you both made your way toward it. “Oowha!” You were in awe.  “It’s lovely!”

Chanyeol had to agree.  “We’re going to smell like lavender for days,” he grinned, picking a nice spot, and laying down the blanket that was in the basket.  

Reaching inside, you began to pull out the goodies that ajumma had packed.  There was crusty fougasse–fragrant with rosemary and olives, and still just a bit warm from the oven, soft assertive cheeses, creamy liver pate, sweet candied fruits, smoky jambon and lox, salty saucisson, crunchy cornichons, full, tight, blushing apples, a whole roast chicken, and crunchy black nougat, filled with sweet honey, and fat almonds.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened.  “Yeobo, I love you, but I think that I’m going to have to leave you for ajumma.”

“Not if I leave you first!” you retorted, looking over the spread.  

“Shared custody?”

“Call,” you nodded decisively.  “Oh!  We can’t forget…” you did a little dance as you reached inside the basket for the last items–two bottles of rare sweet vendange tardive–one white, and one red.

“Two bottles?” he asked, his eyebrows raising.  

“I love this woman,” you muttered.  “Thank goodness she packed a lot.  Even she must have realized that your appetite is legendary!”

“Ang!” he growled playfully, making adorable cat claws.

True to form, between the two of you, you were easily able to polish off the feast, though admittedly, most of it made it into his belly.  

After the picnic, you lay on your back, your head in his lap, looking up at the sky while he fed you slices of apple, and bites of nougat.  You were both in a pleasantly tipsy haze in your lavender cocoon, having finished one bottle of wine, and started on another.  

“Yeobo,” Chanyeol drawled lazily.

“Mm?” you answered, your voice sleepy.  

When he didn’t answer, you looked over at him.  Your eyes widened.  “No!  No!  Absolutely not!”  You scrambled up, trying to put distance between you.

He caught you easily about the waist, and dragged you back, struggling and giggling.  “Why not?  There’s no one around for miles…”

“We’re outside!”

“In the middle of a very tall lavender field.”

“We’re not animals!”

“This is France!” he said expansively, waving an arm to indicate the fields glowing in the late afternoon light.  “The country of love and romance!  Dare we be impertinent enough, dare I say…rude enough not to experience everything she has to offer?”

You giggled, suddenly realizing that you were more than a little tipsy.  

He leaned forward, nuzzling your nose.  “Just this once?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter