C h a p t e r 3: Knowing

If Only There Was More Time...

C h a p t e r 3:

 

Listen: Crazy in Love by JiSun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CKZu-0zd4Y

 

            “Yumi, I have something to ask,” he blurted out.  She looked at him with curious eyes.

 

            “What is it?” she asked.

 

            “W-Would you…”  JaeJoong stopped and gulped.  Yumi looked up at him curiously.  “Would you go out with me?  Be my girlfriend?” he asked nervously.  Her eyes widened in shock and at the same time sadness.  Her heart was breaking.

 

            “I-I-I…”  Yumi just couldn’t think of an answer for him.  She did want to, but at the same, she just doesn’t.

 

            “You…what?” JaeJoong asked, scared that she’ll reject.

 

            “I-I can’t,” Yumi answered quietly.  Tears were forming in both of their eyes, but JaeJoong held his in while tears slowly flowed down Yumi’s cheeks.

 

            “Oh…i-it’s alright,” he said sadly.

 

            “I’m sorry.”

 

            “N-No, it’s alright.”  JaeJoong lifted her chin, seeing her cry.  “Are you sure?  Why are you crying?”

 

            “I-I’m just upset for rejecting you, oppa,” Yumi replied.

 

            “Oh, okay.  H-How about you think about it?” JaeJoong asked.  She nodded and smiled.

 

Listen: Fool by Lena Park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YAZFIaJtWM

 

Weeks passed since JaeJoong’s question.  Yumi felt a little awkward around him, and tries not to show it.  JaeJoong could see how obvious Yumi wanted to avoid him anyway, but he didn’t care.  He just wanted to be with her.  It has been two whole days when JaeJoong hasn’t seen her.  He text her after school, hoping that she’s alright.

 

‘You alright?  C’mon, let’s hangout’ –JaeJoong

 

‘I’m fine.  Okay, meet you at the park now’ –Yumi

 

JaeJoong smiled and ran to the park so he doesn’t have her waiting for him.  He sat down on the bench, patiently waiting for her to come.  He’s also hoping that she would come.  He felt someone sitting next to him.  He turned to the right to see Yumi’s smiling face in front of him.  He frowned, knowing that she became a little pale and she wasn’t dressed too warmly.

 

            “Yumi, gwenchena?” he asked before Yumi spoke.

 

            “I’m fine.  I was just tired, but don’t worry, I’m fine,” Yumi answered in an assuring tone.  JaeJoong smiled, believing her answer.

 

            “Okay, now c’mon, let’s walk around.  I really miss talking to you,” JaeJoong said and he held her hand.  “Yumi, w-why have you been avoiding me?”  She frowned.

 

            “I’m sorry.  It was awkward since you’ve asked me out,” Yumi answered.  He sighed.

 

            “I figured.  I’m sorry too.  I’ll make it up.  C’mon, I’ll buy you strawberry ice cream,” JaeJoong said.  She smiled at him and nodded.  JaeJoong ordered two strawberry ice creams.

 

            “Thank you, oppa,” said Yumi.

 

            “It’s no problem.  Let’s go to our secret place after eating, okay?”

 

            “Okay.  Is it a long walk from here?”

 

            “Stay on my back.”

 

In a matter of minutes, they finished their ice cream while they were having some brain freezes.  Yumi hopped onto JaeJoong’s back and he started walking to their secret place.  Yumi felt tired, soon falling asleep on his shoulder again.  JaeJoong turned to her and smiled.  ‘Why are you so exhausted all of a sudden?’ he asked himself.  He finally made it.  JaeJoong carried her bridal style.  He leaned against the huge tree and placed Yumi in between his legs.  He hugged her waist, having her snuggle in his chest.

 

            “O-Oppa, we’re here?” she asked.  He jumped a little.

 

            “Oh, yeah, we’re here,” JaeJoong answered.  Yumi looked up and smiled.

 

            “It’s so beautiful oppa.  I wanna come here every day now,” Yumi said.  JaeJoong hugged her tighter.

 

            “Whatever you want.”

She smiled.  JaeJoong stood up.  He extended his hand for her, helping her up.  She accepted it and stood up.  She looked at him tiredly and collapsed in his arms.  His face was alarmed once he caught her.

 

            “Yumi~ah?  Yumi!  Wake up!” JaeJoong yelled.  He gently shook her, but nothing work.  He brought her to his back and ran to the hospital.  “Please, wake up.”  He dodged everyone in his way, soon arriving at the hospital.  “Help!  I need help!  My friend collapsed!”

 

Dr. Kim came in, wondering who was yelling.  She gasped when she saw Yumi on his back.

 

            “Guys, get Yumi and bring her to her room.  I need to examine her,” Dr. Kim said.  JaeJoong heard.  ‘She knows Yumi?’

 

The nurses took Yumi and brought her to her room.  JaeJoong was going to enter, but a nurse held him back.  He frowned and sighed.  JaeJoong sat down, patiently waiting for her to come out.  About an hour passed and Dr. Kim came out of the room.  JaeJoong immediately stood up.

 

            “Is she alright?” JaeJoong asked.

 

            “Don’t worry, she’s fine.  She must have felt dizzy and fell unconscious.  She should be wearing warmer clothing considering her condition,” Dr. Kim said.

 

            “Condition?” JaeJoong asked.  She looked at him confused.

 

            “How close are you to Yumi?” Dr. Kim asked.

 

            “Very close.”

 

            “She hasn’t told you?”

 

            “Told me what?”

 

            “Her heart disease.”  JaeJoong stood there frozen.  Nothing came out of his mouth.  “She hasn’t huh?  Well, she had since she was around 15.  Her disease must’ve gotten worse.”

 

            “W-Worse?” he asked with his voice breaking as tears were forming.

 

            “Neh.  Her heart is becoming a little weaker.  I must say that you should watch her carefully.  She stayed here for about two days,” said Dr. Kim.  ‘Two days?  That’s why I haven’t seen her,’ thought JaeJoong.

 

            “Look, if you want to see her, you may.  She’s allowed to go home.”

 

            “Araso.  Kamsahamnida.”  Dr. Kim nodded and left him alone.  JaeJoong just stood there shock again.  Slowly, Yumi came out of the room.

 

            “Sorry, oppa.  I didn’t mean to cause you any trouble,” Yumi said.  She looked at him when he didn’t say anything.  “Oppa?”

 

Being as calm as he can, he held her wrist.

 

            “Get on my back,” he instructed and then bended down.  She nodded and hopped on.

 

JaeJoong walked out of the hospital and headed back to their secret place.  Neither of them bothered to say a word.  Once they arrived, JaeJoong helped her down and held her wrist as he faced her.  She looked at his eyes.  Tears were forming when she realized how hurt and angry they were.

 

            “Oppa,” she said and stopped, not wanted her tears to fall.

 

            “Why didn’t you tell me?” JaeJoong asked when tears already fell from his eyes.

 

            “Dr. Kim told you, huh?” Yumi asked him.

 

            “Why?”  She stayed silent for a while.  “Please.”  She shut her eyes.  Tears then continuously fell.

 

            “Because I didn’t want to hurt you!” she yelled.  “When your brother died, I was so scared to hurt you again.  I didn’t want you to cry because you’ll know that I would be dying.  I didn’t want you to worry everyday because of me.  I don’t want to be a burden and I don’t want us both to get hurt.”

 

            “Yumi, every single day I am worried about you!  I always wonder if you ate, if you’re sleeping good, hoping that you’re safe.  I don’t care if I will cry if I knew you were dying just as long I get to be by your side helping because you will never be a burden to me!” JaeJoong responded.  He tightly hugged her as the both of them cried uncontrollably.  “I love you, Yumi.  I love you so much.  Did you have to reject me when I asked you so that i won’t get hurt if you die?”  He heard her sob and he just waited for her answer.

 

            “Yes, that’s why I rejected you.  I love you, oppa, but I can’t be with you.  We’ll both end up hurt.”  JaeJoong broke the hug and held onto her shoulders, looking deeply into her teary eyes.

 

            “I don’t care if we end up hurt.  I don’t care if I end up being hurt because I really wanna experience life together,” JaeJoong said.  Those words melted her heart.  JaeJoong cupped her face and leaned in and kissed her deeply.  Her knees went weak.  He held her waist so that she wouldn’t fall.  Slowly, she deeply kissed him back.  JaeJoong broke the kiss and kissed her forehead.  “I love you, Yumi.  I love you so much.  Please, give us a chance.”  Yumi nodded and kissed him again.

 

            “I love you, too, oppa.”