C h a p t e r 1: The New Girl

If Only There Was More Time...

C h a p t e r 1:

 

Listen: Melody Harmony and Colors by JaeJoong and YooChun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTKDgIoL_A&feature=related

 

            “Yumi~ah, get ready for school!” Mrs. Park, Yumi’s umma, called as she tried to wake up her sleepy daughter.

 

            “I’m almost ready, umma!” Yumi yelled from upstairs.  Her umma smiled and put her breakfast on the table.  Yumi ran down the stairs and immediately sat down and ate.  Her umma laughed.  “What’s so funny?”

 

            “Park Yumi, you know that you shouldn’t talk with your mouth full,” Mrs. Park said.  Yumi pouted and swallowed her food.  “And don’t eat too fast or you’re going to choke.  Oh, and try not to run so much.”  Yumi smiled.

 

            “Umma, I’ll be fine.  I know my limit.”

 

            “That’s good.  Alright, I’m sorry baby, but for a month I’ll be in Japan with this job that they’re sending me to.  Is it alright with you?”

 

            “Umma, I’ll be fine.  I’m a woman and I’m finally in my last year of high school.  I just hope that things go well,” Yumi answered.

 

            “Everything will.  You’re my strong baby,” Mrs. Park said and kissed her forehead.  “I have to go now and remember how to stay from danger.”

 

            “I know umma.  Bye, I love you and have a safe trip!” Yumi said.

 

            “I love you, too, sweetie.” 

 

Soon, she was out of the house and now Yumi was alone.  She finished her breakfast and ran upstairs, grabbing her backpack and books.  She slid onto her shoes and soon ran out of the house.  She breathed in the fresh air happily and smiled as she opened her eyes.

 

            “Time for the first day of school,” she said to herself and walked to her high school.

 

She entered the principal’s office for her locker and class schedule.  The hallway was clear, and she knew that that the classes had started, or is almost starting.  She looked up and down for her locker.

 

            “Locker 1001, 1002---1005!” she exclaimed so happily.  She put her backpack and books down and put in her combination.  “16-4-2,” she said to herself quietly.  After her 6th try, she pouted.  “I think it’s broken.”  Suddenly, she heard footsteps.  She turned around, seeing a tall boy with shiny black hair and big eyes walking towards her.

 

            “Hey, you need help?” he asked.  She shyly smiled.

 

            “Please?” she asked.  He chuckled and nodded.

 

            “I need your combination,” he said to her.

 

            “Okay.” Yumi gave him her combination.  Successfully, he opened it after a few times.  JiJae smiled happily.

 

            “There,” he said.  “Instead of 2, go to 10.  These lockers are like stupid and most students have to skip 4-6 numbers in their combination.”

 

            “Oh, Gomawo,” Yumi said with a bow.  He chuckled.

 

            “No need to bow.  I’m a student.  Here, let me see your schedule.”

Yumi looked at him and smiled.  She gave him her schedule and as he looked at it, he smiled.  She gave him a questionable look.  He looked at her expression which he found cute.  He loved her straight black hair that goes up to her chest.  He feels attached to her big brown eyes and he just has the urge to sweep her side bangs out of the way that covers her eyes.

 

            “I’m in all of your classes,” he said.   “Come with me and so you won’t get lost, okay?”

 

            “O-Okay,” she said.  He smiled and held her hand, dragging her to class.  Once he opened the door, the class looked at them, mostly at Yumi.  The teacher just smiled.

 

            “Ah, you must be the new student, Park Yumi.  I’m Mrs. Choi, and I will be your teacher,” said Mrs. Choi.

 

            “Uh, neh,” Yumi answered nervously.

 

            “Please, introduce yourself,” Mrs. Choi said so happily. Yumi faced the class and shyly smiled.  She bowed.

 

            “Annyounghaesayo, Park Yumi imnida,” Yumi introduced herself.  “Um, please treat me well.”

 

            “Good, now I want you to sit with Kim JaeJoong.  JaeJoong~ah, raise your hand,” said Mrs. Choi.  JaeJoong did what he was told.  Yumi looked at him and smiled.  She walked to her seat and sat down.

 

            “Thanks for opening my locker, again,” she said quietly and shyly.

 

            “No problem.  Now, we should just pay attention right now before we get in trouble,” JaeJoong said.  Yumi just nodded as she faced the board.

 

Suddenly, the bell rang.  Yumi was the last one out after she wrote down in her homework pad.  She took her things and walked the door.  JaeJoong then popped out in front of her.

 

            “Oh, were you waiting for me?” Yumi asked.

 

            “Yup.  Remember what I said earlier?  We have the same classes together,” said JaeJoong.  She smiled.

 

            “Okay, let’s hurry then.”

 

            ‘Yes, ma’am.”  Yumi giggled as she quickly followed JaeJoong to her next class.

 

I’m Going to Meet You Now by KimBum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjR5hJJRRqo

 

School was then over.  Yumi sat down against the brick wall near the school as she checked her phone.  Her eyes widened seeing how much her doctor called her.  She put her phone away once she put up the volume.

 

            “Hey, you waiting for a ride or something?” she heard JaeJoong asking her.  She turned to him and smiled.

 

            “Oh, um, no, I was just checking my phone,” Yumi answered.

 

            “I see.  Well, would you like a ride?  I’m heading to the library to finish homework,” JaeJoong offered.  Before she can answer, her phone rang.  She put up her index finger, signaling him to wait.  He nodded and watched her pick up her phone.

 

            “Yobesayo?” Yumi answered.

 

            “Yumi~ah, why haven’t you been answering your calls?  I told you to answer them whenever I call,” Dr. Kim said.

 

            “Mianhe, I had school,” said Yumi.

 

            “Still, Yumi.  I already told the school that you may answer your phone.  Come down here because I need to examine you and maybe change your medicine,” Dr. Kim said.

 

            “Araso, I’ll be there in about 10-15 minutes.”

 

            “Okay.”  With that, they hung up and Yumi turned back to JaeJoong.

 

            “Sorry, JaeJoong.  Something personal came up,” she said.

 

            “Oh, okay.  Then maybe next time?”  She saw his eyes with hope.

 

            “Sure, next time.”

 

            “Okay, well, whatever is up, I hope you stay safe.  Bye,” said JaeJoong when he walked away to his car.

 

            “Bye,” Yumi quietly said.

 

Yumi paid the cab driver and walked inside Seoul Hospital.  She checked in and walked inside Dr. Kim’s office.  Dr. Kim looked up and smiled to see Yumi in.  She put down her newspaper and took out her clipboard.

 

            “Follow me, Yumi~ah,” Dr. Kim said.  Yumi nodded and followed her out of her office.

 

As a couple of hours passed, Dr. Kim came up with some results.  They were now inside her office.  Yumi looked at her calmly.

 

            “Okay, we need to double your dosages on your pills.  Your heart is weakening a little.  Have you felt tired, dizzy, and light-headed?” Dr. Kim asked.

 

            “I feel a little tired now, but it’s not bad,” Yumi answered.

 

            “Okay, well, I’m going to take you out of gym class, okay?  I don’t want you to run or go on roller coasters if you’re ever out.  I’m afraid your heart won’t take it, but if you think you can do it, go ahead.  But I suggest that you don’t,” Dr. Kim explained.

 

            “I won’t then.  I wanna live as long as possible,” said Yumi.

 

            “Okay then.  Now here are your pills.  Take them once a day after dinner every day.”

 

            “Araso.”

 

            “Oh, and I want you to come here once every 2 weeks just in case.  Come here immediately if something is wrong,” Dr. Kim explained more.

 

            “Araso.  Kamsahamnida.”

 

Yumi walked out of the hospital and checked the time.  She decided to do her homework in the park.  She found a tree and sat underneath it, taking her books and papers out.  JaeJoong turned around and smiled.

 

            “Hey, I didn’t know you’d come here,” JaeJoong said, scaring Yumi.  “Sorry that I scared you.”  She smiled at him.

 

            “Oh, no it’s alright.  I just got here,” Yumi said.

 

            “Oh, well, if you want, I can help you with homework.  I just finished mine,” JaeJoong suggested.

 

            “If you want because, I mean, I can be slow at things,” said Yumi a little embarrassed.

 

            “I have all the time to help you out.”